New OC Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote:
After going to the NFCC I'm sure they're feeling even closer to winning it all and so I can definitely see your reasoning. I just think based on how they've treated the position in the past that we're not going to see them spend those kinds of resources for a QB. I could see them investing a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round draft pick on one.
I see where you’re coming from but at the same time, depending on the draft pick, that QB could take some time to develop regardless of the coach which could put us behind the 8 ball. I see us drafting one for sure but I don’t see us just drafting one and not having anyone to go with it.

I think one of the main ideas behind this hire is to be able to get more from less - exactly so they don't have to spend a bunch of resources on a QB. If you've got a guy who can make Foles look like that and coach up Wentz like he did why on earth would you spend 30 million a year on a QB?
Good point. Could be possible but still, I just don’t see them going for a rookie and potentially wasting a year or two trying to develop him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm excited about this hire. In fact, I might like DeFilippo better than Shurmur, at least on paper.

Consider this. DeFilippo was Cleveland's OC in 2015. Before you blast that resume bullet, consider this ... the Browns, 3-13 that year, threw for more than 4,100 yards and rushed for more than 1,500. And that was with Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel at quarterback.

DeFilippo is widely regarded as one of the top young offensive minds in the league. He's drawn comparisons to Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. I think the Vikings did the right thing by being patient and waiting for him to become available.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PhillyVike wrote:Love our new OC. I can tell you most Philly fans knew they were going to lose a lot of coaches and players in 2018 but DeFilippo and Schwartz were coveted as need to keep, if possible.

I think he is the perfect OC to ferry us through another year of question marks at the QB position.

Now, Spielman, Zim and DeFilippo can put their nose to the grind stone and figure out the best way out of and into Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, Cousins, Foles, Brees and/or the draft.

I think Foles is going to play for someone else in 2018. And with DeFilippo on board, the Vikings are quickly a target for discussion.

Here's why I think Foles is not an Eagle next season

Cap space - The Eagles organization basically put this '17 season on the credit card and luckily for them it paid off. Now they need to figure out how to get under the cap. According to overthecap.com, they are estimated to be about $9.3 million over for players already under contract in '18. Trading Foles would alleviate a maximum of 7.6 million.

Draft picks - The Eagles don't have a second or third round draft pick and they are going to be hurting bad at LB (Can't afford to retain Nigel Bradham, Ellerbe also walks). They also need tackle depth and CB depth badly. They need draft picks! Trading Foles would be a text book sell high deal.

Here's why Foles could be a Viking next season

Coaching Familiarly - The obvious

Discount - Super Bowl MVP for $7.6 million (or less if negotiated) for 1 year

Here's why Foles being a Viking next season doesn't make sense if you're wearing purple

O-Line - Can we really cater to Foles RPO strength the way the Eagles did with a our o-line?

Buy High - We'd have to send some decent picks that we'd otherwise use on O-line starters or D-Line depth.

Long-term Investment - After paying him a modest $7 million the first year and paying the Eagles draft equity (again) and probably designing the entire offensive system around him for 1 year, we'd be committed to handing one of the games greatest backups, an incredibly lucrative starting QB contract or if he did not perform as expected, we start all over again.

I couldn't be happier about the DeFilippo signing - trading for Foles would eliminate that happiness pretty quick.
Good summary. I'm against Foles because of several points you mention. For one, he's not a free agent so that means giving up draft picks AND restructuring his contract. The other big one is Philly has a really good O-line. I'm with you, I don't know that our line can sustain enough for a RPO offense.

Flip did a good job but he also had Carson Wentz to work with. He was the #2 pick for a reason, it's not like the guy was working with some unknown guy and made him great.

Flip sounds like a real hard worker, student of the game, very much in the same vein as Zimmer. Foles called him a grinder. Someone on Reddit said he was calling the redzone plays in Philly, anyone know if that's true?

I'm still of the opinion we need to grab Brees or Cousins and build the line via draft and maybe free agency. The window is now and will not stay open very long. Look at Seattle, Dallas, Arizona, even Green Bay. Heck even teams like Carolina and Atlanta who were at the top of the NFC are now squeaking in to the playoffs. You just can't stay in the upper echelon forever unless you're the Patriots. And honestly, I think even that has to do with the AFC being a lot weaker than the NFC. Must be nice to be able to play the Titans and Jaguars to get to the Super Bowl.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Pondering I didn't mean to sound crass with the "you people" comment, but all this talk about Foles being relegated to strictly a backup isn't accurate. He did start for 1 season and put up really good numbers, so at one point he was a starter.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
mosscarter wrote:Foles playoff statistics are about the highest all time of any quarterback. Why on earth wouldn't you want the reigning Superbowl MVP to team up with his quarterback coach? You people utterly amaze me with how senseless your comments are. This is obviously a winning recipie that is why Philly ultimately won. People counted them out after Wentz went down and we didn't even show up. I'd rather have forfeited that game than performed like that. Go after Foles.
By saying “you people” doesn’t make what you said sound any better. It was obvious you’re referring to me. What’s so “senseless” about what I said? He’s been a backup the last 4 years for a reason. I’m not completely opposed to it but he’s definitely not my first option. Everyone is caught up in this whole super bowl thing with him. Doug Williams won a SB, Jeff Hostetler won a SB, Trent Dilfer won a SB, Brad Johnson won a SB. Just because they win a SB doesn’t automatically make them a good QB. Yeah his QB Coach is now our OC but who’s saying DeFilippo can’t make Cousins better than he already is? Foles had 4 years of mediocre to backup play. That worries me. I truly don’t see the eagles at 13-3 if Foles was their QB most of the year. There’s no denying what he did in the playoffs but there’s also no denying what he did the previous 4 years which was nothing. Kirk Cousins hasn’t had near the weapons Foles had this year. Awful WRs, awful RBs, a banged up TE, a banged up OL and an awful defense.

It drives me nuts when fans say “Cousins hasn’t proved anything and Foles has”. Foles to over a
Let's not forget. Joe Namath won a Super Bowl and he was one of the worst QBs I've ever seen on film, even by 60's standards. A QB is not a be all end all.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

My gut tells me either Keenum or Cousins. Seeing as how they went with Bradford come playoff time I have to believe the love affair with Bridgewater is over. I am pretty excited about the new hire and what he brings to the table. Let's not forget how the Viks went to great lengths to protect Sloter from being scooped up.......not suggesting that he is the guy but perhaps he could grow rapidly under someone like Flip. It's not too big of a stretch to see him as a num 2.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

autobon7 wrote:My gut tells me either Keenum or Cousins. Seeing as how they went with Bradford come playoff time I have to believe the love affair with Bridgewater is over. I am pretty excited about the new hire and what he brings to the table. Let's not forget how the Viks went to great lengths to protect Sloter from being scooped up.......not suggesting that he is the guy but perhaps he could grow rapidly under someone like Flip. It's not too big of a stretch to see him as a num 2.
At this point I want Cousins

If it's Keenum I will be disappointed if they pay him over Andy Dalton money--seems like too much money for him, but that's the starting QB pay. https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

I agree it seems like Teddy B is done in MN, but if he agreed to be paid 15m/year...I don't think the drop off between Case and Teddy is much of a difference. Especially since the offensive line is better than 2015, and there is a progressive OC in place--unlike with Norv. I think Teddy would be fine

http://pfref.com/tiny/Loi2V
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I will be a little disappointed if we sign Foles ,he had a terrific run in the playoffs but go watch his games against the Giants in week 15 and the Raiders in week 16.Any time he was pressured and made uncomfortable he looked terrible,and I don't know how our O line would hold up with him either.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

Husker Vike wrote:I will be a little disappointed if we sign Foles ,he had a terrific run in the playoffs but go watch his games against the Giants in week 15 and the Raiders in week 16.Any time he was pressured and made uncomfortable he looked terrible,and I don't know how our O line would hold up with him either.

Ya...if Foles was going to be a FA is one thing, but we would have to trade for him. I don't think it's likely...I hope not
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

Vikes are SB ready you don't draft a QB or go with a young unproven QB.

They will get a proven QB or 2 in here. They need a solid back up in case.

Eagles will have to give Foles away they can't afford to keep him unless they find a dumb team who will overpay.

Vikes have shown they want to win with Bradford deal so...
Cousins just costs money or Foles lower pick steal
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, so I was thinking this thread was about the offensive coordinator, not next year's QB. :tongue:

If you want to get into the mind of John DeFilippo, watch this video where he breaks down red-zone offense. Remember, this is Nick Foles at the helm in this video, not Carson Wentz.

I'm no football expert, but something tells me ... this guy is.

Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Cliff wrote:I wonder if the move signifies they plan on drafting a QB.
If you don't have a franchise Quality QB you should be drafting a QB every year somewhere in your draft. The Next Brady could be out there.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

How much would it take to get Slotter up to speed? Nobody knows because he has been a well kept secret.
He got Wentz and Carr ready in short order.
I would imagine John could also tweek Keenum slightly.
My thoughts are you might be able to also get a healthy year out of Bradford now that his knee is cleaned up.

I'm sure it will all get figured out who will be the best fit in the next 3 weeks. If not by then we will probably go FA. Then we just have to figure out who they are after.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

halfgiz wrote:How much would it take to get Slotter up to speed? Nobody knows because he has been a well kept secret.
He got Wentz and Carr ready in short order.
I would imagine John could also tweek Keenum slightly.
My thoughts are you might be able to also get a healthy year out of Bradford now that his knee is cleaned up.

I'm sure it will all get figured out who will be the best fit in the next 3 weeks. If not by then we will probably go FA. Then we just have to figure out who they are after.
Very excited about this hire. Definite possibility DeFilippo will be an upgrade over Shurmur. I wonder if the Vikes have any thought that they may groom him to take over the HC job in 2-3 seasons. Seems like he has the smarts, passion, and drive to make him a potentially great one.