Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: 30 million a year for Cousins?

Post by S197 »

mosscarter wrote:In all honesty, I don't see us throwing this type of money at him mainly because Zimmer has a high school crush on Teddy Bridgewater.
It's clear he likes Teddy but I don't know if that necessarily clouds his judgment. Lets not forget they activated Bradford and made him 2nd string for the playoffs. You don't do that if you're head over heels on TB.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Next years QB

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: When I give an opinion, I ALWAYS back it up with statistics, quotes, comments from coaches ... something. That doesn't make me right. It simply means I've got an informed opinion. If I don't have any facts to back it, I make that disclaimer by saying something like, "That's just my opinion. Nothing to back it up." Lots of others on this board do the same thing. They at least make an attempt to back up their opinions.
Neither you nor Percy seem capable of reading very carefully. I have provided ample evidence, but if it doesn't fit your prefered non sequitur version of 'evidence', which is actually worthless, I guess it doesn't count. Just keep blathering on about stats and ignore any actual evidence.

*I blame ESPN and 24 hour sports news for reducing discourse about sports to this pathetically low level of analysis.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote: When I give an opinion, I ALWAYS back it up with statistics, quotes, comments from coaches ... something. That doesn't make me right. It simply means I've got an informed opinion. If I don't have any facts to back it, I make that disclaimer by saying something like, "That's just my opinion. Nothing to back it up." Lots of others on this board do the same thing. They at least make an attempt to back up their opinions.
Neither you nor Percy seem capable of reading very carefully. I have provided ample evidence, but if it doesn't fit your prefered non sequitur version of 'evidence', which is actually worthless, I guess it doesn't count. Just keep blathering on about stats and ignore any actual evidence.

*I blame ESPN and 24 hour sports news for reducing discourse about sports to this pathetically low level of analysis.
Where?

Can you link me to your comment where you did this? It's entirely possible I missed it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Cliff wrote:<ModHat>Nobody has crossed any lines yet but I can feel it getting heated. Just be careful.</modhat>
Sorry man. I'm really trying to be tactful here and explain my position. Hope I'm not nudging too closely. This is such a great board, precisely because we do a good job of sticking to football, arguing with facts, and refraining from insult. I hate it when we resort to insults. That's beneath this board.

That being said, I realize my tone there might not have been the best. Hope you understand my intent.
No problem, it wasn't just you by any means and nobody got out of line it just seemed it might be heading that way.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Probably relevant.

Vikings new offensive coordinator DeFilippo describes his ideal quarterback
Asked what the most important elements of a good quarterback are, DiFilippo named three aspects of a QB’s game that need to stand out in order to succeed.

— “Character is number one for me. If you have character at that position, you have a chance to succeed. If you don’t have it, you have zero chance to succeed. Number one we are going to look for a person that’s going to represent our football team the way and conduct himself the way we want both on and off the football field. That’s very, very important.

— “Number two, the three most important attributes of playing the quarterback position are decision making, timing and accuracy. So we’re going to heavily research into those three factors with whoever is the quarterback next year in Minnesota and really dig into those three areas.”

— “And finally, a guy that shows some form of leadership. You don’t need to be a rah-rah kind of guy all the time, but you need to show some form of leadership so other guys will follow you, look up to you and when times get tough will play for you. All those things I just mentioned are important components of the quarterback position.”
“I think that’s part of it, there’s no doubt. And athleticism is a unique trait for a quarterback. There’s different types of athleticism for a quarterback. There’s guys like the Michael Vick types and those things and then there’s guys who have great athleticism moving their feet in the pocket keeping plays alive to extend plays. I’m not a big believer in quarterbacks who are a stick in the mud back there. They’re in cement back there at seven-and-a-half yards deep. Our quarterbacks are going to need to show some form of athleticism.”
“DeFilippo turned to Foles to help determine what offensive strategies would help them continue to succeed on offense without their top QB.

I sat him down and made him list me with our coaching staff, ‘What are your best concepts? What do you see yourself do well?'” DeFilippo said. “Because I’m not myself, Frank Reich, Doug Pederson, we’re not the ones out there throwing it. He is. So we sat down and spent time with Nick formulating game plans on what he felt comfortable doing. For me, that’s coaching. Why would you ask a player to do something that he’s not comfortable with? That’s good coaching to me. Nick was open and honest about things he was comfortable with.”
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Cliff wrote:Probably relevant.

Vikings new offensive coordinator DeFilippo describes his ideal quarterback
Asked what the most important elements of a good quarterback are, DiFilippo named three aspects of a QB’s game that need to stand out in order to succeed.

— “Character is number one for me. If you have character at that position, you have a chance to succeed. If you don’t have it, you have zero chance to succeed. Number one we are going to look for a person that’s going to represent our football team the way and conduct himself the way we want both on and off the football field. That’s very, very important.

— “Number two, the three most important attributes of playing the quarterback position are decision making, timing and accuracy. So we’re going to heavily research into those three factors with whoever is the quarterback next year in Minnesota and really dig into those three areas.”

— “And finally, a guy that shows some form of leadership. You don’t need to be a rah-rah kind of guy all the time, but you need to show some form of leadership so other guys will follow you, look up to you and when times get tough will play for you. All those things I just mentioned are important components of the quarterback position.”
“I think that’s part of it, there’s no doubt. And athleticism is a unique trait for a quarterback. There’s different types of athleticism for a quarterback. There’s guys like the Michael Vick types and those things and then there’s guys who have great athleticism moving their feet in the pocket keeping plays alive to extend plays. I’m not a big believer in quarterbacks who are a stick in the mud back there. They’re in cement back there at seven-and-a-half yards deep. Our quarterbacks are going to need to show some form of athleticism.”
“DeFilippo turned to Foles to help determine what offensive strategies would help them continue to succeed on offense without their top QB.

I sat him down and made him list me with our coaching staff, ‘What are your best concepts? What do you see yourself do well?'” DeFilippo said. “Because I’m not myself, Frank Reich, Doug Pederson, we’re not the ones out there throwing it. He is. So we sat down and spent time with Nick formulating game plans on what he felt comfortable doing. For me, that’s coaching. Why would you ask a player to do something that he’s not comfortable with? That’s good coaching to me. Nick was open and honest about things he was comfortable with.”
Good read. I still think they try to bring back both Case and Teddy. I know, call me crazy.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think they resign Teddy for cheap. Draft a QB, maybe at 30. And keep Sloter.

Or they might get Bradford back cheap.

Keenum is gone IMO. He is going to demand way too much money, I would rather pay cousins that money than Keenum.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I think they resign Teddy for cheap. Draft a QB, maybe at 30. And keep Sloter.

Or they might get Bradford back cheap.

Keenum is gone IMO. He is going to demand way too much money, I would rather pay cousins that money than Keenum.
I think Teddy, a rookie and Sloter is a bad idea. All 3 are complete unknowns. Cousins is not. Case could be with Shurmur gone but I’d take him any day over the 3 above. If Bradford could stay healthy I wouldn’t mind him but that’s a big IF
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

I think the odds we bring in Cousins just went up. Even though I'm a Keenum fan and still think he's the most likely option, and I would be surprised to see Cousins be signed, Keenum can probably command a deal similar to what Jimmy G just got, and that's just crazy to me. I still think we'll probably at least bring him back on the franchise tag, but if we can get Cousins for $28M or something like that, I think the Vikes might go through with it.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

The real question is how does Philly keep Foles? Currently they are somewhere between $9-11 million over the cap. By 4PM on March 14th they have to be under the cap. How they do that is going to be interesting.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Philly has no intention of keeping Foles, and why would they? He will go to the highest bidder and my question is why aren't we doing the bidding at this point? All I know is this, I will be somewhat happy with whoever it is aside from Teddy Bridgewater. He is a total bum and will never be an elite QB and yet something tells me we will go with him. He started 16 games and threw for 15 passing TD's. How on this earth can you get any worse passing statistics? And not only that, he is two full years of being removed from a starter this guy is not the guy we need. How obvious can it be?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I finally got around to watching Sloter. Not just highlights but all his snaps.

He has good height and a pretty good arm but he needs a lot of work. His pocket presence is pretty poor, he took a lot of sacks including a really bad safety. Needs to learn to get rid of the ball for sure. Is a bit of a statue in the pocket. Footwork needs some work, you can see he throws off his back foot quite a bit. His release also needs work, it's a nice high release but it's slow.

These are areas Flip can probably help with. Hopefully. Best comparison I can come up with is a less polished Ryan Mallet. He looks very much like a long shot and I think some fans are relying on him to be too much for this team. This offseason will be interesting but he looks like a 3rd stringer to me. We should be looking at options behind who will be starter next year.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

mosscarter wrote:Philly has no intention of keeping Foles, and why would they? He will go to the highest bidder and my question is why aren't we doing the bidding at this point? All I know is this, I will be somewhat happy with whoever it is aside from Teddy Bridgewater. He is a total bum and will never be an elite QB and yet something tells me we will go with him. He started 16 games and threw for 15 passing TD's. How on this earth can you get any worse passing statistics? And not only that, he is two full years of being removed from a starter this guy is not the guy we need. How obvious can it be?

Really? A total bum? Did this guy come over to your house a urinate in your corn flakes last week or something?
The kid is like 24 years old and has done everything in his power to help this team win. He is a complete team player and has been nothing but class since being drafted by the Vikings.

You know it’s comments like these that make people stick up for him.
I’d say his statistics are pretty good considering the offensive line he had to deal with and an aging prima donna running back that fumbled again in the 4th quarter in the Seattle game.

A total bum huh?

Take a vacation and gain some new perspective on life, you deserve it.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

dkoby wrote:
mosscarter wrote:Philly has no intention of keeping Foles, and why would they? He will go to the highest bidder and my question is why aren't we doing the bidding at this point? All I know is this, I will be somewhat happy with whoever it is aside from Teddy Bridgewater. He is a total bum and will never be an elite QB and yet something tells me we will go with him. He started 16 games and threw for 15 passing TD's. How on this earth can you get any worse passing statistics? And not only that, he is two full years of being removed from a starter this guy is not the guy we need. How obvious can it be?

Really? A total bum? Did this guy come over to your house a urinate in your corn flakes last week or something?
The kid is like 24 years old and has done everything in his power to help this team win. He is a complete team player and has been nothing but class since being drafted by the Vikings.

I’d say his statistics are pretty good considering the offensive line he had to deal with and an aging prima donna running back that fumbled again in the 4th quarter in the Seattle game.

A total bum huh?

This. It always seems to be a hot take with you and I don't understand the blatant hatred for Teddy Bridgewater. Look at who he had to deal with in 2015: a terrible offensive line including TJ Clemmings (a fate worse than death) / Mike Harris who wasn't actually that good / a turnstile in Matt Kalil / a still aging Berger / and Brandon Fusco (who always got hurt), Adrian Peterson who ate up plays and spat out fumbles, Diggs in a rookie year, Mike Wallace who was utterly innefective, Cordarelle "I like to not play to my potential" Patterson, and of all things, Rhett "My dad hates Zimmer" Ellison.

That's a great team there guys. /s

Not to mention he made the #### Pro Bowl that year too as well as Rookie of the Year in 2014. Just what is your #### problem with the guy?
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

Rhodes Closed wrote:
dkoby wrote:

A total bum huh?

This. It always seems to be a hot take with you and I don't understand the blatant hatred for Teddy Bridgewater. Look at who he had to deal with in 2015: a terrible offensive line including TJ Clemmings (a fate worse than death) / Mike Harris who wasn't actually that good / a turnstile in Matt Kalil / a still aging Berger / and Brandon Fusco (who always got hurt), Adrian Peterson who ate up plays and spat out fumbles, Diggs in a rookie year, Mike Wallace who was utterly innefective, Cordarelle "I like to not play to my potential" Patterson, and of all things, Rhett "My dad hates Zimmer" Ellison.

That's a great team there guys. /s

Not to mention he made the #### Pro Bowl that year too as well as Rookie of the Year in 2014. Just what is your #### problem with the guy?

I think him dealing with Kalil is more impressive than him making the pro bowl.

I would love to see Teddy and Dalvin work Flip's RPO. I like Teddy because he can probably still run better than most QBs, but definitely looks to throw first. I think That RPO game would fit perfectly between those two