2018 Offseason Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:
Yes, I'd easily count 20 from that list, and there are a lot of names missing from that list as well.
Again, that's laughable to say that 20 of those backs are better than Murray. I honestly dont even want to ask who because I think it's that much of a gap. I have no more to even say
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I think I found our next great 3 tech DT. Taven Bryan out of Florida. The more I watch this kid the more I love him. I've watched a lot of film on the top DTs this year (Hurst, Payne, Bryan, etc.) and he sticks out the most to me. He has a motor that never stops, he's ridiculously athletic, quick hands, quick first step, etc. Kid is a beast. They are saying he can go anywhere from the 1st-2nd round. A recent mock on NFL.com has us landing him in the 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRFCVz8mCY
Yes!

I wish the Vikes would have taken Brantley last draft--he plummeted because of off-field issues, but he looks like he is working out for the Browns. Bryan would be nice
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

ocampo82 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:I think I found our next great 3 tech DT. Taven Bryan out of Florida. The more I watch this kid the more I love him. I've watched a lot of film on the top DTs this year (Hurst, Payne, Bryan, etc.) and he sticks out the most to me. He has a motor that never stops, he's ridiculously athletic, quick hands, quick first step, etc. Kid is a beast. They are saying he can go anywhere from the 1st-2nd round. A recent mock on NFL.com has us landing him in the 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRFCVz8mCY
Yes!

I wish the Vikes would have taken Brantley last draft--he plummeted because of off-field issues, but he looks like he is working out for the Browns. Bryan would be nice
Yeah man the kid is a stud. They’ve always been know for their defensive lineman. Floyd was a stud he just ran into some bad luck
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

Would the Vikes have interest in Malcolm Butler?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

5thWave wrote:Would the Vikes have interest in Malcolm Butler?
Can he play nickel/slot?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

Wasn't he on the slot in the Super Bowl interception against the Seahawks?
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Any chance of prying Rothlesberger from Pitt if they don't make a deal with Leveon?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I honestly think Butler is way overrated. I feel like nobody would know who he is if it wasn’t for his pick in the super bowl. Plus he’ll want ridiculous money. No thanks
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I honestly think Butler is way overrated. I feel like nobody would know who he is if it wasn’t for his pick in the super bowl. Plus he’ll want ridiculous money. No thanks
I agree, but he is probably even with wheel Newman is at right now too. I would be ok if they signed him if Newman changed his mind or something.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I honestly think Butler is way overrated. I feel like nobody would know who he is if it wasn’t for his pick in the super bowl. Plus he’ll want ridiculous money. No thanks
Yup. It speaks volumes he didn't play this year in the SB. Plus I'm fine with going forward with Rhodes/Waynes/Alexander as our nickel package, we have pressing needs elsewhere.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
Yup. It speaks volumes he didn't play this year in the SB. Plus I'm fine with going forward with Rhodes/Waynes/Alexander as our nickel package, we have pressing needs elsewhere.
Agreed. I’d like to get CB DEPTH but there is no need to make any kind of big push for a CB. Mid-late round rookie or a cheap FA is fine with me.
-Chazz Palminteri
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Some offseason material:

Guide to the 2018 Offseason
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Funkytown wrote:Some offseason material:

Thank You Funky!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Not big on his draft or FA signings. But hey, I love reading mocks like that. Very similar to the ones I do. I'll fire one up on here for you guys soon. Gotta do a little more studying :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

That was a good read, he put in a lot of effort. Some thoughts off the top of my head:

Releases - Floyd is a certainty. Murray I think is a tough one. It's a lot to pay a backup RB in this day and age. Hyde, Blount, and Gore are a couple of guys who will be free agents. I don't think they'll all command $5M+ (maybe Hyde). Have Murray restructure or take one of those who will play for $3M.

RFAs - 2nd round tender on Easton and Harris make sense. Easton did a pretty good job last year and $2.8M for a potential starter is good. Harris and Kearse make for good depth at safety and both are excellent in special teams. Sirles I think that's too high of a tender. His versatility is nice but Isidora and Hill (plus potential draftee) can make up the rest of the backup O-line.

Our FAs - I think letting Shamar Stephen walk is a bad idea. He's a solid run stuffer who is a good backup to Joseph. Tom Johnson is getting up in years and I can see them parting ways. McKinnon is a tough loss but I agree with it.

Trade Treadwell - It's probably time to move on, he underperformed Wright at a similar number of snaps (actually he probably had more). But for a 6th, you may as well keep him around and hope he has a big growth spurt.

FAs - I'm on board with Pugh. He's versatile and would be an upgrade to Easton/Berger. Norwell isn't hitting free agency. Robey-Coleman is an interesting one. I think Alexander can be our nickel but you can't have enough corners. Moncrief is one I hadn't considered. If he'd come that cheaply, I'd give him a shot.

Draft - No opinions yet.