Biggest Need On The Team?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Biggest Need On The Team?

Post by Mothman »

Logically, for the trend to be significantly skewed by the fact that many coaches don't get more than 5 years at the helm, wouldn't we have to think longer-tenured coaches would have won instead of the coaches who actually did? I'm not sure there's a compelling reason to believe that. Cowher appears to be an outlier in that regard.

I'm not claiming this trend is particularly insightful. I just find it interesting. I don't think it serves as evidence teams are excessively impatient because there doesn't seem to be much evidence that more patience will necessarily yield better results. Personally, I think it shows that a Super Bowl-winning mix usually comes together pretty quickly if it's going to happen at all. That isn't to say all of those situations were initially similar either because obviously, they weren't. Some of those SB-winning coaches stepped into favorable situations that contributed to their ability to win quickly.
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

1. We will get an OC hopefully someone along the Pederson or Shumer line (Shumer's playcalling went downhill once he got the interviews btw but was effective throughout the year). And Shumer worked miracle with Case.

2. Zimmer and the Defence are fine they had 1 bad game all year unfortunately it was the last one.

3. They will sign a QB! Foles or Cousins or Case who knows but they will get in an experienced QB.

4. There are pro bowl type players throughout the lineup EXCEPT on OL. The OL was the weakest part of the team statistically all year - even when they were winning. The run game was not dominating there weren't a lot of holes they just ran a lot. The QB was pressured all year. They signed journeyman type FAs OL last year. They need something better to take the next step.
This is the biggest need not in terms of quantity but quality.

5. As for ganbling if it backfired people would be saying that gambling was not the way to go.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

tzinc wrote:1. We will get an OC hopefully someone along the Pederson or Shumer line (Shumer's playcalling went downhill once he got the interviews btw but was effective throughout the year). And Shumer worked miracle with Case.

2. Zimmer and the Defence are fine they had 1 bad game all year unfortunately it was the last one.

3. They will sign a QB! Foles or Cousins or Case who knows but they will get in an experienced QB.

4. There are pro bowl type players throughout the lineup EXCEPT on OL. The OL was the weakest part of the team statistically all year - even when they were winning. The run game was not dominating there weren't a lot of holes they just ran a lot. The QB was pressured all year. They signed journeyman type FAs OL last year. They need something better to take the next step.
This is the biggest need not in terms of quantity but quality.

5. As for ganbling if it backfired people would be saying that gambling was not the way to go.
Foles keeps getting mentioned on here but Foles is not a free agent. So in turn, we would have to trade for him. I'd much rather just have Case
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

Mothman wrote:
Ohjay wrote:This is really interesting. But I feel like you're missing a vital piece in this analysis... years as a HC.
Of those 21 Super Bowl coaches who won within the first 4 seasons with a new team were actually new head coaches?
That's a good question. 14 of the 21 coaches were first time NFL head coaches. Some of them had college head coaching experience so if you're including that, the number would definitely be lower.
Thanks for the clarification.
That's definitely more first time NFL head coaches than I expected, which does not speak in favour of Zimmer. :(
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Defensive pass rush pressure is the Biggest need. All thru our past history our pass rush has disapeared in all the big games we have lost over the years. Consistant terrifying pressure on the QB is the key. We need DLineman who can move form end to tackle from play to play and confuse the Off line they face. Blocking the same guy all day tends to help the offensive line. I've said it a million times, the game is won and lost in the trenches
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Laserman wrote:Defensive pass rush pressure is the Biggest need. All thru our past history our pass rush has disapeared in all the big games we have lost over the years. Consistant terrifying pressure on the QB is the key. We need DLineman who can move form end to tackle from play to play and confuse the Off line they face. Blocking the same guy all day tends to help the offensive line. I've said it a million times, the game is won and lost in the trenches

Seems like PHP's man crush (Tevan Bryan) would fit the bill, if he were to make it to our 1st rd pick.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote:
Laserman wrote:Defensive pass rush pressure is the Biggest need. All thru our past history our pass rush has disapeared in all the big games we have lost over the years. Consistant terrifying pressure on the QB is the key. We need DLineman who can move form end to tackle from play to play and confuse the Off line they face. Blocking the same guy all day tends to help the offensive line. I've said it a million times, the game is won and lost in the trenches

Seems like PHP's man crush (Tevan Bryan) would fit the bill, if he were to make it to our 1st rd pick.
I would consider trading up for him. That is a huge need, imo, especially with Griffen getting older and Robison as well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:

Haha you know he’ll be in my mock this offseason!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

I would consider trading up for him. That is a huge need, imo, especially with Griffen getting older and Robison as well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I think we could definitely land him at 30 and there is even a possibility he falls into the second where we could make a move for him then too. Granted it’s early but that’s the way it currently looks
-Chazz Palminteri
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

1. O-Linemen
2. D-Linemen
3. Best player available
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

1. QB
2. G
3. DT
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:1. QB
2. G
3. DT
+1
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

S197 wrote:1. QB
2. G
3. DT
I completely agree with this, BUT, we do have options for QB that we can re-sign whereas G and DT we just need upgrades and/or are losing players to age/retirement. I've gone over this ad nauseam so I think this'll be the last time I do mention it - I think we'll get something done with Keenum unless he's going to just be outrageously expensive now that Jimmy F***ing Garropolo just got a $137.5M deal (12 TDs in his career!). I'm surprisingly not terribly worried about QB, but I'm definitely wondering what we can do to not only replace Berger, Easton and Sirles, but give an overall upgrade to the position so we can have a top offensive line that can stop teams like the Eagles from getting in our QB's face all day.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I'm sort of surprised no one said CB. With Rhodes shutting down his guy more often than not, Waynes / Newman and who ever else have been roasted. It'd be much better for our D if we had a second guy who could make it a bit more difficult to get completions. We can stop the run, Rhodes can shut down their #1, but it doesn't really matter if their #2's and #3's are going off on us.

Pass rush of course would be nice, but again pass rush doesn't help much if they can just get rid of the ball quickly cause they don't fear the coverage over there.

As for the coaching, what we saw clearly wasn't good enough, can they improve and adapt? Zimmer's defense was too easily cracked in the playoffs, it shouldn't have taken a miracle to beat the saints and they shouldn't have been destroyed by the eagles. He deserves another year at least to show us if he can or not, let's not forget this team overachieved everyone's expectations with a backup QB but concerns are rising!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mondry wrote:I'm sort of surprised no one said CB. With Rhodes shutting down his guy more often than not, Waynes / Newman and who ever else have been roasted. It'd be much better for our D if we had a second guy who could make it a bit more difficult to get completions. We can stop the run, Rhodes can shut down their #1, but it doesn't really matter if their #2's and #3's are going off on us.

Pass rush of course would be nice, but again pass rush doesn't help much if they can just get rid of the ball quickly cause they don't fear the coverage over there.

As for the coaching, what we saw clearly wasn't good enough, can they improve and adapt? Zimmer's defense was too easily cracked in the playoffs, it shouldn't have taken a miracle to beat the saints and they shouldn't have been destroyed by the eagles. He deserves another year at least to show us if he can or not, let's not forget this team overachieved everyone's expectations with a backup QB but concerns are rising!
I stopped reading after you said Waynes has been roasted. He was a better CB than Rhodes by seasons end. In every aspect too
-Chazz Palminteri