Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Next years QB

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Our road schedule is probably the toughest schedule I've seen in a long time.

Away:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Eagles
Patriots
Rams
Seahawks
Jets

The only weaker non division opponent is the Jets. We play both SB teams on the road next year. Woof!

Our home schedule is much easier

Home:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Cardinals
Bills
Dolphins
49ers
Saints

Much easier schedule at home. This team is really going to be tested on the road next year
I'll say. Ouch, that road schedule looks brutal.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Our road schedule is probably the toughest schedule I've seen in a long time.

Away:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Eagles
Patriots
Rams
Seahawks
Jets

The only weaker non division opponent is the Jets. We play both SB teams on the road next year. Woof!

Our home schedule is much easier

Home:

Bears
Lions
Packers
Cardinals
Bills
Dolphins
49ers
Saints

Much easier schedule at home. This team is really going to be tested on the road next year
I'll say. Ouch, that road schedule looks brutal.
Yeah it just sucks how that worked out. It would’ve been nice that we at least could have played a couple of those road teams at home
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
WadeWilson
Practice Squad

Post by WadeWilson »

Cousins reminds me of Cutler. Would rather spend the money on keeping the defense near the top of the league and have a qb that does not take a lot of sacks.

Generally Keenum got the ball to the right place on time which is 90% of the job. Hope we can keep a good backup too. If we cannot keep Teddy then they should try to get McCown.
tstange
Waterboy

Post by tstange »

This is my first post on this site. I'm a die hard Vikings fan, the football season is over for me, don't care to even watch the Super bowl. Cousins is a free agent talent in his prime that we don't see that often. This is a no brainer that we sign him. We have a team to win the Super Bowl now. And the cap space to Sign a Talent like Cousins. we didn't keep Slotter on the roster as a 4th QB for a reason. Cousins is a QB that can win now and Slotter is a QB that we can keep as a back up to keep learning.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

tstange wrote:This is my first post on this site. I'm a die hard Vikings fan, the football season is over for me, don't care to even watch the Super bowl. Cousins is a free agent talent in his prime that we don't see that often. This is a no brainer that we sign him. We have a team to win the Super Bowl now. And the cap space to Sign a Talent like Cousins. we didn't keep Slotter on the roster as a 4th QB for a reason. Cousins is a QB that can win now and Slotter is a QB that we can keep as a back up to keep learning.
I understand that logic too, so whether they sign case or Kirk, I am ok. I just think Case could be a better option because he will likely be a lot cheaper, and I actually am past the point where I wonder when he will fall off. The only question I have is whether the system coming in will fit him or not.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

tstange wrote:This is my first post on this site. I'm a die hard Vikings fan, the football season is over for me, don't care to even watch the Super bowl. Cousins is a free agent talent in his prime that we don't see that often. This is a no brainer that we sign him. We have a team to win the Super Bowl now. And the cap space to Sign a Talent like Cousins. we didn't keep Slotter on the roster as a 4th QB for a reason. Cousins is a QB that can win now and Slotter is a QB that we can keep as a back up to keep learning.
Btw, welcome, Brad. See the first name introductions thread for your official name change instructions.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

So here we go. Some numbers for you to chew on. These are taken from ESPN's stats. They show percentage of pass attempts by distance the ball is thrown the last 4-5 years. Of course Teddy's only includes two years but you get an idea of what he was doing. I also separated out what Keenum and Bradford did with the Vikings only.

Please note that these are percentages of pass attempts. BLS is behind the line of Scrimmage. Also note that 5% points is about 22-30 passes a year. For example, the difference between Bradford's BLS-10 of 74.2 to Keenum's 69.4 is about 1.7 passes a game.

Code: Select all

BLS   1-10    BLS-10     11-20   21-30    31-40    41+
Brady	         17.0   52.0	   69.0	   20.6     6.6     2.1     1.8
Brees	         19.7   51.3	   71.0      20.0     5.6     2.5      .9
Cousins	       14.7   54.9	   69.6      19.6     6.9     2.3     1.6
Rodgers	       20.3   47.3	   67.6	   21.6     6.6     2.7     1.4
Keenum	        19.2   50.3	   69.4	   19.4     6.6     2.7     1.8
Bridgewater      22.6   49.6	   72.2	   17.6     5.9     2.6     1.7
Bradford         21.2   53.0      74.2	   17.4     5.7     1.9      .8

With Vikings							
Keenum	        22.3   45.8	   68.1	   21.7     6.9     1.1     2.2
Bradford         20.8   54.6      75.4      16.4     6.0     2.1       0
So, when someone wants to say that a QB is a dink and dunk QB exactly what are they talking about? I can tell you that if you do this for just about any QB in the league the numbers will all be within about 5 percentage points. In other words, a dink and dunk QB may be throwing one or two more passes behind the 10 yard line a game.
That's about all.

I would also like to point out something about Bridgewater. His top WR's his first year. Patterson, Jennings, Wright and Charles Johnson. His second year, Diggs, Patterson, Wright, Wallace, and Johnson. Those two years Thielen had 31 total targets.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Thats the toughest road game schedule Ive ever seen or remember for the Vikings. And our first draft pick is #30. I hope Rick and his scouts are working overtime to make up for that god awful Bradford trade. Maybe a little less gambling on Ricks part, and instead of the super athletic players both Rick and Zim seem to like, we find the solid position players, especially the DT we need next to Linval, one of out best players, but he is getting old. Together a great tandem them will crush the running game, and maybe get some sacks. Hunter seems mostly invisible as did Griffin. Other then that batted ball when he was facing the wrong way to block the ball.

As far as QB's, I sometimes think im one of the few realists. Cousin will in no way, come cheap enough so we can keep our D strong over the next few years. I also think it will affect the Oline a lot. Cousins wants to be a 26+ millionaire for years to come. Maybe 30+ every year he is here. If its a few million a year difference between teams, he will chose the Vikes I think. But then who do we get as his backup when we have already spent so much on 1 position. No one has any idea on Slotter, if I were to guess, I would say the Vikings know very little about him. The Vikings are usually happy if they have a starter they think is good.

I dont even want to talk about Sam, because any sane GM would get rid of him right away. Wasnt worth the risk the first time around, certainly isnt worth it with another injury having him ride the pine.

Teddy is somewhat interesting. No one knows what he has. The usual haters have come out and said their piece, but think about it. Teddy didnt even get as much as Ponder did, and their were Ponder apologist's that thought Ponder might have something. But still think Ponder was keeping around. I personally do think Teddy will demand half of what even Case will want. And that may be worth looking into. I think we improve this line, and Cook is going to take pressure off of whatever QB we end up.

So Cousin and Case would be my target if I were Rick. But let Case know after only 1 good year, he wont be getting a huge contract. And let Cousins know he may get a slightly larger payday, but not one that has a better O, and a better D.
Last edited by PurpleKoolaid on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I say forget about our so called "number one" defense and go all in on Cousins. I'm sorry to break this to you, but a number one defense does not give up 38 unanswered points. What a disgrace.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Skins might Franchise Tag Cousins?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2231 ... rk-cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If they do I hope they can't find a trade partner and have to pay both QBs lol
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

mosscarter wrote:I say forget about our so called "number one" defense and go all in on Cousins. I'm sorry to break this to you, but a number one defense does not give up 38 unanswered points. What a disgrace.
well the 'unanswered' part is on the offense, but I agree in this game we need a QB that can put up points and sustain drives.

I think we got by most of the season on defensive coverage--we didnt get as many sacks as you would think a top defense would, and that seemed to affect how many turnovers we created--didnt seem like many considering we are suppose to be a top defense. I think after QB we should address getting pressure on the opposing QB.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

If the Redskins tagged Cousins and he signed the tag and the Redskins couldn't find a trade partner then they would be on the hooked for a 1-year $35 million salary. That's far too risky.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

720pete wrote:If the Redskins tagged Cousins and he signed the tag and the Redskins couldn't find a trade partner then they would be on the hooked for a 1-year $35 million salary. That's far too risky.

This would be a great way to end this story though :lol:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote:The Skins might Franchise Tag Cousins?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2231 ... rk-cousins
That would be the dumbest thing for a franchise to do since the Herschel Walker trade.

He’ll sign the tender (at $34 million, who wouldn’t?) and Washington will be try to trade him, but they’ll have zero leverage. If they can’t find a taker, they’ll have $58 million devoted to two players, only one of which can play.

Key word in Schefter’s reporting: Consider. They’ll consider it, but they’d be stupid to do it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.