2018 Vikings Free Agents

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agents

Post by Cliff »

It's going to be a tough choice for them. If they keep Bradford I expect them to draft a QB in a higher round and try to get him ready to play by week 5 or 6 :P
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I’m not opposed to that either. Everyone says “teddy didn’t get to play with a good OL, WRs and RB”. Well neither did Bradford and Bradford is a better pure QB.
The idea that Bridgewater didn't play with a good RB and good receivers has always been an excuse for sub-par performances anyway. The OL was bad but Peterson was an elite RB in 2015, not just a good one and Wallace, Diggs and Wright were a talented enough trio, with Thielen capable of making plays when given opportunities (Patterson too, if he had actually had more opportunities). It still doesn't seem to occur to many people that the significant one year dip in Mike Wallace's career year-to-year production occurred in part because he was playing with an inferior QB rather than holding back a terrific talent ready to explode if only he had a better supporting cast of skill players.

Bridgewater might come back from his injury and turn out to be a great player but the truth is thus far, he's been overhyped, loved by fans for his attitude and sold to the public as a stud-in-waiting. On the field, he's been a slightly better Christian Ponder with a superior defense and a great PR team.

Not that I have a strong opinion about it or anything. ;)

By the way, there's talk about tolling his contract in the news again. If that happened, it might tick hi off but it would change the financial picture for the Vikes at the QB position, at least in 2018.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:I’m not opposed to that either. Everyone says “teddy didn’t get to play with a good OL, WRs and RB”. Well neither did Bradford and Bradford is a better pure QB.
The idea that Bridgewater didn't play with a good RB and good receivers has always been an excuse for sub-par performances anyway. The OL was bad but Peterson was an elite RB in 2015, not just a good one and Wallace, Diggs and Wright were a talented enough trio, with Thielen capable of making plays when given opportunities (Patterson too, if he had actually had more opportunities). It still doesn't seem to occur to many people that the significant one year dip in Mike Wallace's career year-to-year production occurred in part because he was playing with an inferior QB rather than holding back a terrific talent ready to explode if only he had a better supporting cast of skill players.

Bridgewater might come back from his injury and turn out to be a great player but the truth is thus far, he's been overhyped, loved by fans for his attitude and sold to the public as a stud-in-waiting. On the field, he's been a slightly better Christian Ponder with a superior defense and a great PR team.

Not that I have a strong opinion about it or anything. ;)

By the way, there's talk about tolling his contract in the news again. If that happened, it might tick hi off but it would change the financial picture for the Vikes at the QB position, at least in 2018.
Realistically, tolling his contract would probably be the best option for the team, and could be for him as well. There is a very real possibility that no team would sign him at all. It is probably not likely, but certainly possible. He is very high risk right now.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
This couldnt be more accurate. The only thing I disagree with is that I feel like he's a much better QB than Ponder primarily because of his intangibles. Outside of that, I dont understand it. If you go on Vikings.com right now, there is a poll that says who will be the vikings starting QB in 2018: Case, Sam, Teddy or Other. Teddy has over 60% of the votes and is pretty much shattering everyone else. I've never seen a guy get so much love for being so mediocre. No less he hasnt played in 2 years. I love the guy dont get me wrong and I want to see him do well but man, fans scold Case Keenum because he's "Case Keenum" but people think Teddy is the next great QB. Literally makes zero sense. In one year, Case did 10 times what Teddy did in any year so far but Teddy is the one still getting the praise :confused:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote: By the way, there's talk about tolling his contract in the news again. If that happened, it might tick hi off but it would change the financial picture for the Vikes at the QB position, at least in 2018.
It would sure be a nice bonus for the Vikings if they were able to keep him for another year at that price. It would probably go to court though. If it happens, it would be interesting to see how they treat the FA QB search. I would assume they would still try to go after the QB they want, and slot TB in as the backup. Of course, if they already think he's their guy (I personally don't know how, but there seems to be lots of hints about how much Zim loves him), it would really free up space for other things this next year. I'm sure the Vikings brass are glad the decision is out of their hands in regards to public perception. Honestly, it seems like his salary SHOULD be tolled, but there must be enough there to fight it.
Damian
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:This couldnt be more accurate. The only thing I disagree with is that I feel like he's a much better QB than Ponder primarily because of his intangibles. Outside of that, I dont understand it. If you go on Vikings.com right now, there is a poll that says who will be the vikings starting QB in 2018: Case, Sam, Teddy or Other. Teddy has over 60% of the votes and is pretty much shattering everyone else. I've never seen a guy get so much love for being so mediocre.
I haven't either. It's genuinely strange to me.
No less he hasnt played in 2 years. I love the guy dont get me wrong and I want to see him do well but man, fans scold Case Keenum because he's "Case Keenum" but people think Teddy is the next great QB. Literally makes zero sense. In one year, Case did 10 times what Teddy did in any year so far but Teddy is the one still getting the praise :confused:
It makes no sense to me either. It seems to come from an emotional place rather than a rational one.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Realistically, tolling his contract would probably be the best option for the team, and could be for him as well. There is a very real possibility that no team would sign him at all. It is probably not likely, but certainly possible. He is very high risk right now.
There's such a need for QB talent around the league that I think he could likely get signed as long as he passed a physical (and possibly showed where he's at in his recovery with a workout). I imagine any team would proceed cautiously though.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
No less he hasnt played in 2 years. I love the guy dont get me wrong and I want to see him do well but man, fans scold Case Keenum because he's "Case Keenum" but people think Teddy is the next great QB. Literally makes zero sense. In one year, Case did 10 times what Teddy did in any year so far but Teddy is the one still getting the praise :confused:
It makes no sense to me either. It seems to come from an emotional place rather than a rational one.
It's strange to me too. Everyone points to his last preseason game as proof he turned the corner. Seriously? It's preseason. I'd love to see him tear up the league, because it would be a great story, and he's a very likeable guy, but I haven't seen anything to make me think that's going to happen consistently. I guess we'll see what the Vikings do! I just hope they don't make a decision that haunts us for several more years.
Damian
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Dames wrote:It's strange to me too. Everyone points to his last preseason game as proof he turned the corner. Seriously? It's preseason. I'd love to see him tear up the league, because it would be a great story, and he's a very likeable guy, but I haven't seen anything to make me think that's going to happen consistently. I guess we'll see what the Vikings do! I just hope they don't make a decision that haunts us for several more years.
That's my fear as well. If he ends up being a great success story for them, it would be wonderful for everyone involved (including fans) but if they decide to re-commit to him as their starter, I hope they will have a very good backup plan for both the short and long term.

Regarding the tolling: the Vikes seem to be saying it would be up to the league office to determine if the rule applies. If the contract tolls, I'm guessing Bridgewater would file a grievance through the player's union. We'll see what happens but it would be odd if the Vikings found themselves in a legal battle with a player they supposedly adore.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:It seems to come from an emotional place rather than a rational one.
I think you're exactly right
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:It seems to come from an emotional place rather than a rational one.
I think you're exactly right
All I have to say to those fans is be careful what you wish for. I don't understand why you wiuldnt bring back a QB who led you to the conference championship game. I really don't think Keenum will command as much as many seem to think. I think he'd be happy with $15-$18 mill per year.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Regarding the tolling: the Vikes seem to be saying it would be up to the league office to determine if the rule applies. If the contract tolls, I'm guessing Bridgewater would file a grievance through the player's union. We'll see what happens but it would be odd if the Vikings found themselves in a legal battle with a player they supposedly adore.

I'm guessing his popularity would take a quick hit! Who knows, maybe not. Maybe he's just THAT lovable.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:
Mothman wrote: Regarding the tolling: the Vikes seem to be saying it would be up to the league office to determine if the rule applies. If the contract tolls, I'm guessing Bridgewater would file a grievance through the player's union. We'll see what happens but it would be odd if the Vikings found themselves in a legal battle with a player they supposedly adore.

I'm guessing his popularity would take a quick hit! Who knows, maybe not. Maybe he's just THAT lovable.

Well, his name IS Teddy...
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
S197 wrote:I'm shocked at how many people want Forbath back
Replace him with who?

Preferably someone with a leg who can make PAT's. I mean look at Harrison Butker, Chiefs picked him off the practice squad after Santos went down. Guy was perfect in PATs and over 90% in FG's. Forbath has only made 78% and 81% of his PAT's in the last two years. That has to be last or close to last in the NFL. Not to mention his range is barely beyond 50 so anything past that and we're punting.

The kid from Georgia isn't the only good kicker in the country. I'd rather spend a 6th/7th on a guy I'm certain will contribute than a flier. It makes absolutely no sense to settle for mediocre, which is basically what Forbath is.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote:I’m not opposed to that either. Everyone says “teddy didn’t get to play with a good OL, WRs and RB”. Well neither did Bradford and Bradford is a better pure QB. If we’re willing to give a guy that hasn’t played in two years and nearly lost his leg a shot I’m not opposed to giving Bradford a shot if the price is right. I’m definitely all for Cousins, then probably Case but Bradford is a close second
I'd be fine with Teddy IF he's mentally and physically 100%. He's currently not my first choice but I still think he could lead this team far (again, if he's healthy). The thing I really like about Teddy is how he turns into a playmaker when things go bad. He also takes care of the ball which is something I believe Zimmer appreciates.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014