Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Next years QB

Post by TSonn »

“Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”
We should offer him $100M over 4 years and see if he takes it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -help-win/
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

TSonn wrote:
“Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”

I think we should let the Jets pay him $25M for 5 years and bring back one of our guys who's already in touch with our current offense, like Case Keenum. Even if it costs us $20M for a year of his service, if he kills it again then you can probably get him for a longer term deal and you can be more confident that he's going to come back and produce rather than just signing a long term deal with someone like Cousins. It's not much different from bringing someone in from the draft other than that Cousins has proven himself at the NFL level, but he hasn't proven that he can work with our players, our coaches and be what the Vikings want and need him to be. Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater have, but there are definitely risks with them too.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote:Consider me convinced, Kapp. You present a solid argument in favor of Cousins.

How likely do you think it is that the Ricker pulls the trigger on Cousins? He is a gambling man by nature, but even so... I'd say it's unlikely.
Great question. I have no idea. My hope is that with $60 million in cap space, Spielman would at least consider a run at Cousins. It still leaves plenty to sign guys like Hunter, Barr and others down the road.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:If you’re cousins and you get a $28 million offer from the Vikings but a $32 million offer from the Jets, what do you take?
Cousins has said that winning is a pretty big component of it, as well as the money. And it's not like he's short on cash. Look at his life right now. We're talking about a 4th-round draft choice who just played the past two seasons for a tick south of $44 million. Think about that for a moment. Kirk Cousins was the fifth-highest paid QB in the entire NFL in 2017. He made more than Rodgers, more than Brady, and more than Roethlisberger. How many contracts in the NFL are ever guaranteed for $44 million? Very few. This man has earned a lot of money already. He's set for life by almost any measure.

Also, knowing what I know about his upbringing, family, etc., I would say there are things more important to him in life than money. Don't get me wrong. He's going to get the best deal he can. But if given a choice between $32 million with the Jets and $28 million with the Vikings, it wouldn't surprise me to see him take the lower number in order to play for a winner.

I'll say it again. If you're a free agent, and the Vikings come calling ... with their incredible stadium, their state-of-the-art training facility about to open, their $60 million in cap space, the opportunity to play for a coach in Mike Zimmer who is universally respected around the league, and the chance to play for a team that just finished one game from the Super Bowl ... you're going to be very, very interested. Minnesota is arguably the most attractive place in the NFL for a free agent to sign. Rick Spielman should be in the running for just about anybody he wants.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Slick Rick wrote:
TSonn wrote:

I think we should let the Jets pay him $25M for 5 years and bring back one of our guys who's already in touch with our current offense, like Case Keenum. Even if it costs us $20M for a year of his service, if he kills it again then you can probably get him for a longer term deal and you can be more confident that he's going to come back and produce rather than just signing a long term deal with someone like Cousins. It's not much different from bringing someone in from the draft other than that Cousins has proven himself at the NFL level, but he hasn't proven that he can work with our players, our coaches and be what the Vikings want and need him to be. Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater have, but there are definitely risks with them too.
I'll go out on a limb here and say the only way the Vikes keep Keenum this year is if they franchise him. He had a great season and it's a QB-starved league. Someone will be willing to offer him a multi-year deal with enough up front to ensure he'll take the offer. So for the Vikings to keep him, they'd either have to match that up front or, if they're still not convinced he warrants a multi-year commitment, they're going to have to use the franchise tag on him. And if they did that, and I were his agent, I'd insist that one-year deal include a clause that prevents the Vikings from using the franchise tag on him the following year.

But here's my main problem with that - Keenum wasn't consistent enough to warrant either a long-term deal or the franchise tag. He had issues seeing and hitting open deep receivers, which cost the Vikings scoring opportunities, especially as the season went on. His accuracy was off at times. Some simple throws against Philly were horribly botched at a time when every easy throw had to be made. He had ball security issues that resulted in costly fumbles and interceptions, with the highlight being the duck he lobbed against Philly that resulted in a defensive score for the Eagles.

I'm not saying this was endemic or typified his season. He performed very well at times, but I keep wondering if people aren't looking at Keenum and his performance in relative terms (i.e. this guy was a 3rd-stringer playing under a minimum deal and look what he did!). If you look at him as simple starting QB, he looks less impressive, especially in the playoffs. If you look at him compared to other FA QBs who are looking for longer-term, larger deals and starting gigs, Keenum starts to look much less attractive, at least to me. He just hasn't done it at a high enough level long enough and for enough time for me to be sold that he belongs in the long-term commitment, NFL starting QB conversation.

I feel the same way about Bridgewater, albeit far less certain about his longer term viability as a starting QB (or even a backup, for that matter).

That really leaves the Vikings with a single on-roster option in Bradford, and while I understand the concerns about his knee holding up, he's also the only guy on the roster that is a guy defenses might be actually afraid of given his ability to sling the ball and his consistent mid and deep range accuracy. If Bradford is healthy and has time, he'll do to almost every defense what he did against the Saints to start the season, especially if he has a run/pass option with a healthy Dalvin Cook and he has TE's he trusts can get open and catch the ball.

Cousins would do well with the Vikings too for much the same reason.

Brees would probably make the Vikings Superbowl favorites heading into next season. I just don't see him leaving New Orleans.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:Consider me convinced, Kapp. You present a solid argument in favor of Cousins.

How likely do you think it is that the Ricker pulls the trigger on Cousins? He is a gambling man by nature, but even so... I'd say it's unlikely.
Great question. I have no idea. My hope is that with $60 million in cap space, Spielman would at least consider a run at Cousins. It still leaves plenty to sign guys like Hunter, Barr and others down the road.
Pondering Her Percy wrote:If you’re cousins and you get a $28 million offer from the Vikings but a $32 million offer from the Jets, what do you take?
Cousins has said that winning is a pretty big component of it, as well as the money. And it's not like he's short on cash. Look at his life right now. We're talking about a 4th-round draft choice who just played the past two seasons for a tick south of $44 million. Think about that for a moment. Kirk Cousins was the fifth-highest paid QB in the entire NFL in 2017. He made more than Rodgers, more than Brady, and more than Roethlisberger. How many contracts in the NFL are ever guaranteed for $44 million? Very few. This man has earned a lot of money already. He's set for life by almost any measure.

Also, knowing what I know about his upbringing, family, etc., I would say there are things more important to him in life than money. Don't get me wrong. He's going to get the best deal he can. But if given a choice between $32 million with the Jets and $28 million with the Vikings, it wouldn't surprise me to see him take the lower number in order to play for a winner.

I'll say it again. If you're a free agent, and the Vikings come calling ... with their incredible stadium, their state-of-the-art training facility about to open, their $60 million in cap space, the opportunity to play for a coach in Mike Zimmer who is universally respected around the league, and the chance to play for a team that just finished one game from the Super Bowl ... you're going to be very, very interested. Minnesota is arguably the most attractive place in the NFL for a free agent to sign. Rick Spielman should be in the running for just about anybody he wants.
It always surprises me that more guys don't do what Brady did where he takes a pay cut so he can be surrounded by better supporting cast. Granted, football contracts aren't fully guaranteed but at some point you've made enough money and it probably makes sense to take less and funnel more into an O-line that will keep you upright.

Maybe Cousins will think along these lines but it seems like a lot of QB's are greedy to the detriment of their team. Stafford is a good example.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Holy sh** Alex Smith just got traded to Washington!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Holy sh** Alex Smith just got traded to Washington!!
Well Cousins is done there for sure. I still would rather have Keenum. He did so much for the team and the fans love him.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Holy sh** Alex Smith just got traded to Washington!!
Well Cousins is done there for sure. I still would rather have Keenum. He did so much for the team and the fans love him.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I still take Cousins over Keenum though. Depending on what they command I’d pay 5 mill more to have cousins than Keenum. And again Keenum could easily be a product of shurmurs system. I love Case and Hes my 2nd option but cousins trumps him any day
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Lots of teams in market for a QB, Buffalo and Cleveland,Jets, Cardinals some others also,Do you think Cousins will command 25-30 mil?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Husker Vike wrote:Lots of teams in market for a QB, Buffalo and Cleveland,Jets, Cardinals some others also,Do you think Cousins will command 25-30 mil?
There had been talk that Washington might put the transition tag on Cousins, setting his salary at $28 million and forcing other teams to offer more. But with Smith coming on board, it seems highly unlikely to me (even borderline stupid) that they would use the transition tag. Another team with a lot of cap space, like Jacksonville or the Jets, could blow the $28 million out of the water by offering Cousins a hugely front-loaded deal. Washington wouldn't have the cap space to match. If nobody matches, the Skins are stuck with his contract.

With Smith reportedly being offered an extension by the Redskins for $23.5 million per year, tagging Cousins could end up being a disaster. It could force the 'Skins to tie up more than $50 million for two guys who play the same position. I just can't see them risking it. But what do I know?

With this trade for Smith, it sure seems like the Redskins are going to let Cousins walk. If that's the case, this is about to get really interesting.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

For what they gave up for smith in my opinion they could just have well signed cousins at least he knows their system.
It will make things interesting for sure.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Cousins is the answer. This team in its current form has reached it's limit. Kirk is the only answer out there that can get us to the next level, unless Bridge grows quickly. Case isn't the answer. He will win us some games. He's good enough to win 11 games a season but we will be stuck at one and done or going home soon after.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Last time a QB getting paid over $20 million-a-year led a team to the Super Bowl?

Zero.

Focus that money on resigning our defensive players. Cousins will command top dollar.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Wow Smith got PAID. The only prayer the Vikings have is if Cousins really puts playing for a good team over money. And even then, no OC hurts those odds even more. It is interesting Smith more or less got the long term deal they wouldn't give Cousins.

Looks like the Vikings will be overpaying no matter who they grab.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote:Wow Smith got PAID. The only prayer the Vikings have is if Cousins really puts playing for a good team over money. And even then, no OC hurts those odds even more. It is interesting Smith more or less got the long term deal they wouldn't give Cousins.

Looks like the Vikings will be overpaying no matter who they grab.
If the rumors about Stefanski are true, I'd have to think that it makes it more likely that we work something out with Case. I'm intrigued by the possibility of landing Cousins, though. I think he is worth the extra money and has a much higher ceiling than Case. The one thing I do really like about Case is his leadership qualities, his character, and his connection to this team's players. I don't know what to think about Cousins regarding those intangibles. It seems that some Skins fans think he is a delicate one. Whenever I have watched him, I see a dude with major talent and lots of grit.