New OC Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: New OC Thread

Post by halfgiz »

Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:Why are you guys arguing about Shurmer, Turner, and Bevell?

Shurmer is HC of NYG: So we are not getting him.
Turner is the OC of CAR: So we are not getting him.
Bevell is interviewing with the Vikings: We might get him.

So who cares about Turner and Shurmer at this point?

For the record: I do not feel like Bevell is an exciting hire. In fact, I think he could be a detrimental hire. As I said previously, his track record in the NFL hasn't shown much individual greatness. Quite the opposite actually.
He's coordinated 3 top 10 offenses, has a Super Bowl ring as an OC, has coached as an OC in 3 conference championships and 2 Super Bowls, has had numerous top 5 rushing teams... all of that is the opposite of greatness? I understand the desire for something fresh and innovative and I'm not saying Bevell's a great offensive coordinator but his resume as an OC is actually quite impressive and it's both more extensive and more accomplished than McAdoo's.
What if they promote Stefanski from within and bring Bevell in as a play caller. His title could be anything.
Only time will tell...
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

If they hire Stefanski do you think that will indicate that they plan on sticking with Keenum?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

720pete wrote:If they hire Stefanski do you think that will indicate that they plan on sticking with Keenum?
I would think that either Teddy or Keenum could fit.

Sounds like Shurmur could be interested in Stefanski as OC if the Vikings pass him up for OC job.
Couldn't really blame him wanting to advance to a better position.

The Daily Norseman, a Minnesota Vikings blog retweeted
Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
4h
Heard a name to watch depending on what goes down in Minnesota is Kevin Stefanski. He was their ... qb coach #Giants twitter.com/nygdaily/statu…
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

they need to hire someone who thinks outside the box
names mentioned have NOT DONE A LOT FOR SUPER OFFENSIVE FOOTBALL in the NFL!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:

For the record: I do not feel like Bevell is an exciting hire. In fact, I think he could be a detrimental hire. As I said previously, his track record in the NFL hasn't shown much individual greatness. Quite the opposite actually.
He's coordinated 3 top 10 offenses, has a Super Bowl ring as an OC, has coached as an OC in 3 conference championships and 2 Super Bowls, has had numerous top 5 rushing teams... all of that is the opposite of greatness? I understand the desire for something fresh and innovative and I'm not saying Bevell's a great offensive coordinator but his resume as an OC is actually quite impressive and it's both more extensive and more accomplished than McAdoo's.
Agreed 100%
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:

I agree with you Jim, especially the part about Bevell being more accomplished than McAdoo.

However, I can understand the angst with Bevell. Vikings fans automatically associate him with Brad Childress, which is a mark against him, albeit unfair. But even in that context, Bevell was the offensive coordinator in 2009, when we were second in the league in offense. Most of us believe they were a great offensive team in spite of Childress, which means Bevell may well have had some sort of positive impact.

The more I think about this, the less I take issue with Bevell. In fact, after working with a mobile quarterback in Russell Wilson for several years, it's very possible that Bevell could take advantage of Case Keenum's mobility.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Mothman wrote:

I agree with you Jim, especially the part about Bevell being more accomplished than McAdoo.

However, I can understand the angst with Bevell. Vikings fans automatically associate him with Brad Childress, which is a mark against him, albeit unfair. But even in that context, Bevell was the offensive coordinator in 2009, when we were second in the league in offense. Most of us believe they were a great offensive team in spite of Childress, which means Bevell may well have had some sort of positive impact.

The more I think about this, the less I take issue with Bevell. In fact, after working with a mobile quarterback in Russell Wilson for several years, it's very possible that Bevell could take advantage of Case Keenum's mobility.
I agree, I am now at the point that I would be ok with Bevell, but only if we keep the right QB, which I would guess would be Keenum for his system.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

This is so frustrating, the lack of any talent available at OC at all right now when we need one. People are legitimately excited about Bevell. Why can't we ever catch a break. :(
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mondry wrote:This is so frustrating, the lack of any talent available at OC at all right now when we need one. People are legitimately excited about Bevell. Why can't we ever catch a break. :(
.....because Bevell has had top 11 offenses the past 3 years. No reason to be mad about that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Bevell has been consistently good. Not only does he have the track record with Wilson, been coordinator during two SBs including one win, he also has the history with us before that. Let's not forget that Favre came back and had one of the best years of his career, and before that we won the North with Gus Frerotte and T-Jack as our primary QBs. Sure, he has had a lot to work with, but he'll have plenty here too and his success speaks for itself.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Slick Rick wrote:Bevell has been consistently good. Not only does he have the track record with Wilson, been coordinator during two SBs including one win, he also has the history with us before that. Let's not forget that Favre came back and had one of the best years of his career, and before that we won the North with Gus Frerotte and T-Jack as our primary QBs. Sure, he has had a lot to work with, but he'll have plenty here too and his success speaks for itself.
Well said. Agree 100%
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

If Bevell is so great, why did SEA fire him?

I've said I felt that was due at least in part because Pete Carrol isn't going to fire himself, but I'm sure there is more to it than just that. There is no denying that SEA has been in steady decline in terms of it's offense since it's Superbowl winning days. You can say Bevell didn't get any help personnel wise and maybe there is something to that, but you also have to observe that they really failed to develop much of anything with what they did have. They also consistently missed in free agency. Is that all on the GM?

No thank you.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:If Bevell is so great, why did SEA fire him? I've said I felt that was due at least in part because Pete Carrol isn't going to fire himself, but I'm sure there is more to it than just that.
There is but Carroll covering his a## is the most obvious reason. Supposedly, frustration with slow starts is another reason.

Coaches get fired. It doesn't necessarily mean they're bad coaches.
There is no denying that SEA has been in steady decline in terms of it's offense since it's Superbowl winning days. You can say Bevell didn't get any help personnel wise and maybe there is something to that, but you also have to observe that they really failed to develop much of anything with what they did have. They also consistently missed in free agency. Is that all on the GM?
No, but it's obviously not all on the offensive coordinator. Ignoring Bevell's overall body of work to focus solely on what he did after the roster began to decline seems an unfair way to evaluate him. I get that to many Vikings fans, anybody connected with Childress is considered poisonous and if had my choice of any NFL OC, Bevell would hardly the top the list but if I'm choosing between an experienced OC who won a Super Bowl calling plays and the likes of Kevin Stefanski, who's never run an offense or called plays, it's an easy decision. McAdoodle's resumé simply doesn't compare favorably and Haley's a nutjob. I'm certainly open to the team looking beyond that list and, in fact, I hope they do but at least in Bevell, they'd be getting a coordinator we know can be a part of a Super Bowl-winning staff.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

So why is it limited to those three? I think it is a mistake if the Vikings say "well these are the three guys, so let's choose the least bad." If that is the case, then they should either promote someone currently on the staff or broaden the search and try to find a the next big things vs. one of these re-treads.

As I said before, this roster is a huge opportunity. They should have the pick of the litter and they should act like it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

What about Mike Mularky?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins