Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Next years QB

Post by Mothman »

mosscarter wrote:They will go with Teddy, the hometown favorite and "good guy", and the logistical worst of the 3. Book it.
:lol: I confess, I'm braced for that exact outcome. I hope you're wrong though.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

Boon wrote:Lamar Jackson, dude is a baller. Extremely mobile. Get a OC thats good with QB's and throw him to the wolves
There's a handful of good QB's in the draft this year. 2 Heisman winners in Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield. Then there's two quality candidates in Josh Rosen and Mason Rudolph. I like Lamar, but I don't think he could start right away in a pro system. I have no doubts about the other 3 though, any of them could start immediately. Scouts really like Wyoming qb Josh Allen whom I haven't watched at all. The senior bowl comes on today. Allen and Mayfield are listed as qb's for the North team according to this site here: http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018 ... to_wa.html
Might be an interesting game to watch. At any-rate none of this really matters because I think all 4 of those guys will probably go in the draft before we get to pick.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

VikingLord wrote:
halfgiz wrote: So you don't think the injury issues with the line affected anything??
The last 2 games Hill was like a revolving door and the last game had a PFF rating of 33. Remmers wasnt any better at left guard.

No, I think they did have an effect, but that isn't necessarily an excuse. Most QBs at the pro level can be effective if they get great protection. It's the guys who are effective when the protection breaks down that are worth the big contracts IMHO. Case's regression under those conditions should concern people.

I agree with this. All three quarterbacks have their issues and I don't know that any of the three can take the Vikings to the super bowl. Bradford has knee issues that may end his career early. Keenum has more bad game tape than good for the totality of his career and we have probably seen his ceiling. And no one really knows how good bridgewater is or can be. I don't think the Vikings are going to be able to bring two of them back unless they franchise keenum. However, if you're bridgewater and the Vikings franchise keenum, it would almost be in his best interest to sign elsewhere on a year deal with a team that's probably going to draft a QB so he can prove his self for a better deal in 2019. The low risk high reward choice is Teddy. The safe but unspectacular pick would be keenum and the high risk high reward pick would be Bradford. It just depends on what type of gambling man Zimmer is.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

MrPurplenGold wrote:Bradford has knee issues that may end his career early.
Even if we thought he was over his knee issues, his lack of mobility is also a major problem. While the Vikes' O-Line was MUCH improved this season over last, at least 4-5 times a game, Keenum extended the play with his mobility and ability to escape pressure (though we saw almost none of that mobility in the final two games). What Bradford brings to the table is arguably the prettiest most accurate ball in the NFL.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

ChicagoViking wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:Bradford has knee issues that may end his career early.
Even if we thought he was over his knee issues, his lack of mobility is also a major problem. While the Vikes' O-Line was MUCH improved this season over last, at least 4-5 times a game, Keenum extended the play with his mobility and ability to escape pressure (though we saw almost none of that mobility in the final two games). What Bradford brings to the table is arguably the prettiest most accurate ball in the NFL.
That makes it a simple question. What Qbs win more super bowls mobile ones or pocket passers? its rhetorical.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Chicago Viking is deadly accurate that analysis and that is why I like Keenum and I would be happy if they franchise him. He can make things happen outside of the pocket and that is a great weapon to have. Bradford is like a statue back there.
WadeWilson
Practice Squad

Post by WadeWilson »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
S197 wrote:Just thinking out loud but lets not forget Payton was very non-committal to Brees after the loss. Offer him a stupid amount of money and go all in next year. McKinnon may be the only guy we need to sign this free agency. A lot more guys the following year but for at least one more season the team is mostly in tact. You can find interior lineman like Elflein in 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Show Brees he'll have a o-line. He already knows he'll have Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph. Not to mention Dalvin Cook. Plus a defense. I know the guy loves NO but it's not that improbable.
They're not going to make any decisions on a QB until they know what is available externally.

McKinnon made the statement he wants a bigger role next year he is going to look around.

Ben Goessling retweeted
Chris Hine
@ChristopherHine
4h
Jerick McKinnon said he appreciated his role this season with the Vikings, but as he heads to free agency, he’d ideally like to go somewhere he can be the featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” #Vikings
With Cook back, we would have no need for Mckinnon.
Still need a third down back, preferably one that can pass protect. Not something McKinnon did very well.

James White or someone like that would be ideal.
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

I think Garropolo is also a FA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

mosscarter wrote:Chicago Viking is deadly accurate that analysis and that is why I like Keenum and I would be happy if they franchise him. He can make things happen outside of the pocket and that is a great weapon to have. Bradford is like a statue back there.

I think Keenum benefitted from familiarity with Shurmur's system--he will have to learn a new system, and I don't know how much confidence I would have in him with a new OC. To an extent the same can be said about Bradford.

I want Teddy to be the guy; however, even Keenum makes throws (i.e Rudolph TD in NFC title game) that I haven't seen Teddy make.

I know they are a playoff team, but without a viable QB that's all they are. It's not popular opinion but I would trade up and draft Darnold, Rosen, or Allen
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

ocampo82 wrote:
mosscarter wrote:Chicago Viking is deadly accurate that analysis and that is why I like Keenum and I would be happy if they franchise him. He can make things happen outside of the pocket and that is a great weapon to have. Bradford is like a statue back there.

I think Keenum benefitted from familiarity with Shurmur's system--he will have to learn a new system, and I don't know how much confidence I would have in him with a new OC. To an extent the same can be said about Bradford.

I want Teddy to be the guy; however, even Keenum makes throws (i.e Rudolph TD in NFC title game) that I haven't seen Teddy make.

I know they are a playoff team, but without a viable QB that's all they are. It's not popular opinion but I would trade up and draft Darnold, Rosen, or Allen
Keenum wasn’t familiar to Shurmur's system. It was all new to him the beginning of the season.

SkolScot wrote:I think Garropolo is also a FA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I doubt if the 49ers is going to let Garropolo hit the market. They are already building shrines for him out there. :lol:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

MrPurplenGold wrote:Keenum has more bad game tape than good for the totality of his career and we have probably seen his ceiling.
I don't see how anyone who watched this season could possibly make a statement like that.

Your comment is eerily similar to all the "we know who Case Keenum is" comments we heard throughout the season. Funny, but the guy just kept getting better. He was barely on the team at OTAs, and he was third-string at training camp -- with nobody even sure he could hold off Taylor Heineke. He didn't know he was making his first start until 30 minutes before gametime. And he went 11-3.

Also, Keenum's issues tend to be those of the occasional bad decision. Decision-making is often directly associated with experience.

As for "more bad game tape than good for the totality of his career," don't look now, but Case Keenum is 21-19 including the playoffs. This from a guy who started 0-8. Even Drew Brees started 10-17. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I'd like to see the Vikings do one of two things. Either put the franchise tag on Keenum, or go get somebody like Kirk Cousins. Play to win now. We have the roster.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:Keenum has more bad game tape than good for the totality of his career and we have probably seen his ceiling.
I don't see how anyone who watched this season could possibly make a statement like that.

Your comment is eerily similar to all the "we know who Case Keenum is" comments we heard throughout the season. Funny, but the guy just kept getting better. He was barely on the team at OTAs, and he was third-string at training camp -- with nobody even sure he could hold off Taylor Heineke. He didn't know he was making his first start until 30 minutes before gametime. And he went 11-3.

Also, Keenum's issues tend to be those of the occasional bad decision. Decision-making is often directly associated with experience.

As for "more bad game tape than good for the totality of his career," don't look now, but Case Keenum is 21-19 including the playoffs. This from a guy who started 0-8. Even Drew Brees started 10-17. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

I'd like to see the Vikings do one of two things. Either put the franchise tag on Keenum, or go get somebody like Kirk Cousins. Play to win now. We have the roster.

I'm not sure why it's unreasonable to say Keenum may have hit his ceiling. He hit statistical highs on his 3rd team and his 5th year in the league. He also was not as effective at the end of the year and the playoffs as he was in the beginning of the year. That leads me to believe that he probably peaked early in the year. Keenum's value coming into 2017 was a one year 2 million dollar deal as a back up to Sam Bradford. The league didn't seem to value him very highly for a reason. He played well for the Vikings in 2017 and helped them get to the NFC championship game, which no one can take from him. Only time will tell where his career will be 5 years from now. My guess, based on the entirety of his career and historical data for previous QBs who were one year wonders, is that he won't have another year like he did this year. Though I accept the fact that I could be wrong.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

MrPurplenGold wrote:The league didn't seem to value him very highly for a reason.
Again, it's the same thing everybody was saying back in October and November. It's an overused sound byte that really doesn't say very much.

I can virtually guarantee you, the league will value Case Keenum more highly after the season he just had. And the team leading the way may just be the Minnesota Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I made this comment earlier, but apparently people didn't read it:

Keenum is at a cross roads. IMO he has two basic scenarios:

1.) Take the biggest contract offered and get paid, even if it is a lower tier club. The risk here is that without a strong supporting cast his number will likely regress and he probably will not play out his whole contract.

2.) Stay with the Vikings or some other upper tier team with a strong cast around him, but get paid less. This IMO, would allow Case to continue to extend his "ceiling" and probably result in a longer career, but he will never get the giant QB pay day. (Unless he wins a SB.)

All I know is if you are a Free Agent QB and want to get your career going, then you probably want to play for the Vikings. This offense is basically stacked, there are some holes on the OL, but that really is about it. In other words: You want to play here! If the Vikings are smart they will be picky about their OC and leverage the fact that they can offer something to most QBs that other clubs can't.

In terms of Sam/Teddy: It really depends on who has the healthier knee. If they are both healthy then IMO, (and the stats) Bradford >>>>>>>> Teddy.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think that myself I would like to see Keenum back next year with Cook and an improved offensive line....
Keenum seems level headed, I think he could work with the Vikings to try and work out a deal as long as Rick doesn't try and lowball him.

If we decide to go with Teddy what plan would we need in place if his knee isn't up to the rigors of game play.
Who would be his backup??

Bottom line is I don't think you will see us comitt to a QB till March.