QB Going forward

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

QB Going forward

Post by UKno1VIKING »

I know there will be many different opinions regarding this topic. With the many scenario's that may unfold. But what does everyone here want to see, going forward at the position?

The way i see it, we have to cut Teddy. It hurts, but i can't see a situation that benefits the Vikings if we do keep him. He's going to be asking too much for someone who's still unproven at a starter level. Especially one who nearly lost his leg, that relies on his manoeuvrability as one of his main weapons. He does have potential upside, but this team is ready to challenge now. I'm not sure we can waste another year finding out.

Sammy has the same problem, minus the question mark over his talent. He would have to be dramatically restructured, for it to be worth our while, and i can see someone offering more (probably New York now).

Keenum will get paid, and good on him. He put so much into this season. Is he worth the amount of cap hit? That's another question, and i'm not so sure he is.

If we are to keep one of the three, it seems Keenum is the mostly likely. But for me, i'd love us to try and hook one of the big boys from free agency. Keenum produced far more than i think any of us could imagine, but the question remains, if the defence has an off day, can he carry his team the way top tier QB's can?
tzinc
Backup

Re: QB Going forward

Post by tzinc »

Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

How delusional can you be if you think Drew Brees is going to leave New O'rleans? At least discuss something that MIGHT be a real possibility.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

UKno1VIKING wrote:I know there will be many different opinions regarding this topic. With the many scenario's that may unfold. But what does everyone here want to see, going forward at the position?

The way i see it, we have to cut Teddy. It hurts, but i can't see a situation that benefits the Vikings if we do keep him. He's going to be asking too much for someone who's still unproven at a starter level. Especially one who nearly lost his leg, that relies on his manoeuvrability as one of his main weapons. He does have potential upside, but this team is ready to challenge now. I'm not sure we can waste another year finding out.

Sammy has the same problem, minus the question mark over his talent. He would have to be dramatically restructured, for it to be worth our while, and i can see someone offering more (probably New York now).

Keenum will get paid, and good on him. He put so much into this season. Is he worth the amount of cap hit? That's another question, and i'm not so sure he is.

If we are to keep one of the three, it seems Keenum is the mostly likely. But for me, i'd love us to try and hook one of the big boys from free agency. Keenum produced far more than i think any of us could imagine, but the question remains, if the defence has an off day, can he carry his team the way top tier QB's can?
In my honest opinion the only question is how is Bradfords knee? If there is any doubt we need to draft a qb, Keenum and Teddy wont get it done unless you have a 85 bears defence sitting around, and we don't.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

But we do have the number 1 ranked defense who allowed Nick Foles to score 38 unanswered points. So, we have that going for us.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

tzinc wrote:Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins
Drew Brees, really? Why not Tom Brady and Erin Rogers back him up.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Not as far fetched as you think. THere are several articles on the WWW about Brees and if he'll still be in NO this year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mosscarter wrote:But we do have the number 1 ranked defense who allowed Nick Foles to score 38 unanswered points. So, we have that going for us.

Which is nice! :lol:
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

mosscarter wrote:But we do have the number 1 ranked defense who allowed Nick Foles to score 38 unanswered points. So, we have that going for us.
Nick Foles is the next Case Keenum. You heard it here first.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Brees is a free agent. Do you understand that?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

And I'm saying MN has as much of a chance signing Brees as they do making a deal for Rogers or Brady. It would nreak the bank once again, like the Hershel Walker deal. Not that Brees has ever even thought of coming here.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

He's made it clear he wants to stay in New Orleans and the Saints GM has said they want him back so the odds that Brees will actually hit the open market and be a viable option for the Vikings are very slim.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

I think it's most likely that Bradford is gone, and while all three of our QBs are supposed to be free agents, I could legitimately see both Bridgewater and Keenum coming back.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/M ... -114136745

This article explains how the Vikings could realistically come up with two of our QBs for ~$20M. While there are cheaper options, I think given the trajectory of the team and the fact that you can't exactly count on a rookie to come on and just start throwing TDs right away, we have to take a risk. I say Keenum and Teddy because Keenum, despite his flaws and inconsistencies showed that he was the guy that this team trusted last year and he's still the hot hand right now. Teddy's probably going to be cheap coming off the injury that he just had. We might only get one year out of him at a cheap rate, but he would be about the best backup in the NFL. Maybe he doesn't want that, but he doesn't have the bargaining power that Bradford or Keenum do at this point having sat out the vast majority of the last two seasons.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:Drew Brees, really? Why not Tom Brady and Erin Rogers back him up.

He's made it clear he wants to stay in New Orleans and the Saints GM has said they want him back so the odds that Brees will actually hit the open market and be a viable option for the Vikings are very slim.
I think Brees saying he wants to stay is a given. It helps him in every way. Just the fact that he isn't signed yet gives me reason to believe they're both keeping their options open.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:Drew Brees, really? Why not Tom Brady and Erin Rogers back him up.

And I'm saying MN has as much of a chance signing Brees as they do making a deal for Rogers or Brady. It would nreak the bank once again, like the Hershel Walker deal. Not that Brees has ever even thought of coming here.
Brees is a free agent. It wouldn't cost the Vikings picks, just $$$. It'd be nothing like the Walker deal.