A Request from a former native...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PhillyVike
Practice Squad

A Request from a former native...

Post by PhillyVike »

Most of the Eagles people traveling to MN to see a SB aren't going to be the ones who threw beer cans at our fans in Philly. Those people can't afford to travel anywhere, much less to a super bowl AND a championship game. So keep that in mind if you see an Eagles fan not being arrogant or aggressive in Minneapolis.

Now that I got that out of the way, let me air my grievance towards this despicable fan base known as the Iggles from a perspective of someone who has grown up in Eagan but started a family in the surrounding Philadelphia area....

Inequality in eastern PA is greater than I've seen in any other American city not named NYC or D.C. You see old wealth that has passed down from the revolutionary and civil war (hundreds of millions in trust funds) and then you'll have a huge mass at and below the poverty line. The city, from an economic point of view, is a playbook for how to maintain an Aristocracy in a modern society.

I remember the first time I laid eyes on Philly from 95 it reminded me of the pictures I've seen of India. Trash everywhere, shack housing....slim, narrow and neglected exteriors. It's common to hear about deaths in the summer from people falling from their fire escapes because everything is so old and decrepit. You can't walk down a street in Philadelphia without seeing dozens of homeless (more per square mile than usual) begging for money. Then on what is known as the 'main line', you'll find castles and estates like never seen in Minnesota.

The picture I'm trying to paint is the environment which has bred the repulsive behavior last weekend. These are people who haven't exercised judgement or intelligence in a very long time, if ever; and the character of the community here isn't strong enough to self-correct. They simply smile, laugh, sit down and shut up or make excuses...for example, I've heard as a rebuttal to my disgust of Sunday's foul behavior from local people that Vikings fans dressed the Rocky statue in Vikings gear.....and that was like "declaring war on philly", "that's hallowed ground". Well that's simply stupid. I thought this was a tough city. One where people have a thick skin. And they lost their minds over a garment put over a statue of a person who isn't even real???....Boo Hoo, turns out Philly is a bunch of sensitive babies about their imaginary heroes - like London breaking into riots over a defaced statue of Harry Potter. That being said, I wish I could have stopped fellow Vikings fans from doing that last weekend. That was not the MN way.

I've told Iggles people here that if you go to MN, you just earned yourself torment and abuse the second you step off that plane till the moment you get your ugly butt out of Gods country. Then I told them I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen at all, even if that would be quid pro quo. I told them Minnesota will show you more class and respect than your disgusting excuse of a population deserves or could ever understand.

As much as what I keep reading, abuse related, bothers me.... I hope Minnesota keeps it Minnesota. We didn't deserve the treatment they gave us and they deserve every bit of the treatment that may be dished out to them....But Minnesota is the best community and state I have ever lived in and it's because people there have a sense of wrong and right. I don't mean that about everyone but if 80% of Philthy is characterless, soulless, scum of the earth....then Minnesota is 80% high character, high achieving, fair and honest folk.

Please keep it classy MN. Or at worst, keep it clever, drive those idiots to Mystic Lake so there's one less a-hole that doesn't deserve a parade, to cheer for that team. That's funny, not harmful. Out smart them.

Go Patriots!
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: A Request from a former native...

Post by Boon »

PhillyVike wrote:Most of the Eagles people traveling to MN to see a SB aren't going to be the ones who threw beer cans at our fans in Philly. Those people can't afford to travel anywhere, much less to a super bowl AND a championship game. So keep that in mind if you see an Eagles fan not being arrogant or aggressive in Minneapolis.

Now that I got that out of the way, let me air my grievance towards this despicable fan base known as the Iggles from a perspective of someone who has grown up in Eagan but started a family in the surrounding Philadelphia area....

Inequality in eastern PA is greater than I've seen in any other American city not named NYC or D.C. You see old wealth that has passed down from the revolutionary and civil war (hundreds of millions in trust funds) and then you'll have a huge mass at and below the poverty line. The city, from an economic point of view, is a playbook for how to maintain an Aristocracy in a modern society.

I remember the first time I laid eyes on Philly from 95 it reminded me of the pictures I've seen of India. Trash everywhere, shack housing....slim, narrow and neglected exteriors. It's common to hear about deaths in the summer from people falling from their fire escapes because everything is so old and decrepit. You can't walk down a street in Philadelphia without seeing dozens of homeless (more per square mile than usual) begging for money. Then on what is known as the 'main line', you'll find castles and estates like never seen in Minnesota.

The picture I'm trying to paint is the environment which has bred the repulsive behavior last weekend. These are people who haven't exercised judgement or intelligence in a very long time, if ever; and the character of the community here isn't strong enough to self-correct. They simply smile, laugh, sit down and shut up or make excuses...for example, I've heard as a rebuttal to my disgust of Sunday's foul behavior from local people that Vikings fans dressed the Rocky statue in Vikings gear.....and that was like "declaring war on philly", "that's hallowed ground". Well that's simply stupid. I thought this was a tough city. One where people have a thick skin. And they lost their minds over a garment put over a statue of a person who isn't even real???....Boo Hoo, turns out Philly is a bunch of sensitive babies about their imaginary heroes - like London breaking into riots over a defaced statue of Harry Potter. That being said, I wish I could have stopped fellow Vikings fans from doing that last weekend. That was not the MN way.

I've told Iggles people here that if you go to MN, you just earned yourself torment and abuse the second you step off that plane till the moment you get your ugly butt out of Gods country. Then I told them I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen at all, even if that would be quid pro quo. I told them Minnesota will show you more class and respect than your disgusting excuse of a population deserves or could ever understand.

As much as what I keep reading, abuse related, bothers me.... I hope Minnesota keeps it Minnesota. We didn't deserve the treatment they gave us and they deserve every bit of the treatment that may be dished out to them....But Minnesota is the best community and state I have ever lived in and it's because people there have a sense of wrong and right. I don't mean that about everyone but if 80% of Philthy is characterless, soulless, scum of the earth....then Minnesota is 80% high character, high achieving, fair and honest folk.

Please keep it classy MN. Or at worst, keep it clever, drive those idiots to Mystic Lake so there's one less a-hole that doesn't deserve a parade, to cheer for that team. That's funny, not harmful. Out smart them.

Go Patriots!

How about no
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Hmm ... So it's only people without money that act poorly?
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Cliff wrote:Hmm ... So it's only people without money that act poorly?

That horse he's on is high. Way high. I really can't stand narcissists or self absorbed #### that stereotype people
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't think that's what he meant.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I don't think that's what he meant.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
It's the very first thing he said ...
Most of the Eagles people traveling to MN to see a SB aren't going to be the ones who threw beer cans at our fans in Philly. Those people can't afford to travel anywhere.
As if the people who can afford them are always polite and never get drunk and act a fool.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

P.S. - I'm not encouraging returning the behavior to Philly. I try to be a "high road" kind of a guy. That comment just rubbed me the wrong way.
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

I apologize for the way that may have come off. I come from a blue collar background with recent orphan lineage so if it read as classism, it wasn't intended that way. However, I do know this town. It's why I did not go to that game. I know better and if you lived here you would know better too.... but felt awful for the people coming from MN that didn't. Especially those bringing old and young family members. There is no mercy here.

I'm only asking that if you see that pain in MN turning to violence and you are in position to stop it, please stop it.
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

are you saying that poor people are violent?
are you saying rich people aren't violent?
your post sounds like an attack based on class
Philly dilly
Waterboy

Post by Philly dilly »

OP what are you talking about? People falling from fire escapes? I literally have never seen that on the news EVER and I'm 50 years old and have lived in this area for 37 of those years. Homeless people everywhere? Dozens just walking down the street? Are you serious?? I only see them on the main of ramps were people are waiting for the light to turn green and they walk up and down with their cardboard signs. Generally, they stay out of sight any place else.
Oh and what's with the "it looks like pictures of India driving up 95? comment? Really?? Trash everywhere??? Not in Center City there isn't. The Northeast is pretty clean too. Now there are some poorer sections (North Philly) but all cities (especially NE cities) have those. Understand that the city is over 300 years old. The "shack" housing are rowhomes built at the being of the industrial age so they could house the labor force that worked the plethora of industry at the time.
My family came from Philly and moved to South Jersey in the 1950's. Philly has seen better days but it's not the hole you describe. This coming from someone who hates going over there mainly because of traffic, but you have to understand that a majority of Eagles fans actually hail from OUTSIDE of Philly. From central NJ to Northern Delaware all the way out to Harrisburg there are millions of Eagles fans. There is just so much wrong with what you wrote about Philadelphia that I really have to ask if you really lived here.
As for dressing up the Rocky statue. That was laughable. "hallowed Ground"?? Really?? People laugh about the statue and that's why it was moved to the Art museum because it wasn't a real sports figure.
I say all this about Philly because the painted picture is not accurate at all. And I'd say that about 90% of Eagles fans are good fans. I watched a video of some Viking fans walking up to the game and what I saw was a bunch of pimple face kids acting like idiots. Remember I said there's probably about 3 million Eagle fans in this area. There's going to be the morons that have embraced the "Philly fan" picture the media has painted. If you had the time I'd explain the Santa clause incident, also completely portrayed wrong.

Anyways, as a TRUE Eagles fan, I'm sorry for how these dumb arse fans treated you that came here. As I said, with all the people here, there's going to be more stupid people too.

Lastly, as others have picked up on, your elitist tone in your post is glaringly obvious. You certainly don't "know this town"
The only thing I will agree with you is that the Philly fans coming to MN are NOT the ones perpetrating the shenanigans you saw here and don't deserve bad treatment. Two wrongs certainly don't make a right.
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

I think we all know the wealthy can also be boorish thugs - just look at Congress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

tzinc wrote:are you saying that poor people are violent?
are you saying rich people aren't violent?
your post sounds like an attack based on class
I thought he summoned it up pretty well. A bunch of 20ish year olds been boozing up for hours. I would bet a large sum on money most spent all the money they had going to this game to get ####, and then insult the other teams fans as they walked in. Rich people are #### too. Just in this situation i am willing to bet they wearnt so wealthy. In fact many rich people can be bigger assh0les, just in more subtle ways. Philly is full of both, I never hope I have to travel there, or going through there again in my life.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Philly dilly wrote:And I'd say that about 90% of Eagles fans are good fans.
Seems unlikely, but even if that percentage is true when applied to the entire universe of Eagles fans, that percentage flips when you focus only on those Eagles fans who actually attend the games. Our experience at the stadium was miserable, and nearly the entire section in front of us -- 80%-90% -- were boorish a$$holes. And in a city where 90% of fans are "good fans," you don't get warnings from nearly everyone you meet for two days to watch out for your safety and to be careful. You don't have dozens of passersby (both pedestrians and drivebys) yelling obsenities at you. Pretty pathetic. I've never seen anything like it in any other city where I have attended NFL games, including Oakland.

I don't know the actual reasons for this behavior, but I didn't get the sense that the OP was blaming only poor people. My takeaway from the post was that the poster believes income inequality has created a difficult environment in Philadelphia. That is not blaming poor people. That is blaming the chasm that divides people and creates resentment, divisive behavior, and fear. You know, like Fox News.
Philly dilly
Waterboy

Post by Philly dilly »

ChicagoViking wrote:
Philly dilly wrote:And I'd say that about 90% of Eagles fans are good fans.
Seems unlikely, but even if that percentage is true when applied to the entire universe of Eagles fans, that percentage flips when you focus only on those Eagles fans who actually attend the games. Our experience at the stadium was miserable, and nearly the entire section in front of us -- 80%-90% -- were boorish a$$holes. And in a city where 90% of fans are "good fans," you don't get warnings from nearly everyone you meet for two days to watch out for your safety and to be careful. You don't have dozens of passersby (both pedestrians and drivebys) yelling obsenities at you. Pretty pathetic. I've never seen anything like it in any other city where I have attended NFL games, including Oakland.

I don't know the actual reasons for this behavior, but I didn't get the sense that the OP was blaming only poor people. My takeaway from the post was that the poster believes income inequality has created a difficult environment in Philadelphia. That is not blaming poor people. That is blaming the chasm that divides people and creates resentment, divisive behavior, and fear. You know, like Fox News.
I'll just say this, if you don't have video of it, it didn't happen. In this day and age of everything on video, and especially taking video of the game, how could you not have video of it. Let's see the video evidence and let us be the judge. I think some of this is being made up. Just my opinion. I've seen many videos already, one with open beers cans being thrown (not unopened like has been mentioned here) but all the rest are verbal assaults. Where is all this "violence" people are talking about? I've been verbally assaulted at EVERY away game I've ever been to including NY, Washington, AZ, San Francisco, Dallas, and Chicago. I honestly expected it. Had food thrown at me. A beer or two thrown at me. It probably would have been 10x worse if there were playoff implications.
Listen, it was wrong for people to do treat the fans who came here like that, but to paint "80- 90% of the fanbase like that is just soooo wrong. As I said, many fans here have "embraced" picture of the fanbase the media has created. It's sad but true. I'm not condoning it, it just is what it is. Eagle Rob has apologized for it and I am too, but to dwell on it and to say that you are going to return the favor to Eagle fans when they come there just sounds so weak. Thought Vikings fans were above all that. Guess not.
Furthermore, as I stated in my rebuttal previously, the fans here are not the way they are because of some "chasm" or "income equality" they are like this because they truly are one of the most passionate fanbases in the country to never win a SB and I think some people (much of that 10%) are pissed off about it. And by the way ChicagoViking, what city in this country has " by far, the worst murder rate? Yep, Chicago.
Lastly, your Fox News statement is ridiculous and could be said about ALL other media outlets that are continuing to divide this country because they don't like one person because every media outlet says not to like him. Is this country just becoming a country of lemmings that will believe ANYTHING they see or read on the Webz? We shall see.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

There were multiple news articles with video and interviews of the Vikings fans experiences that game. Also Case even said that his family was treated harsh. What more do you need? I'd understand if ChicagoViking was the only person making these claims but that's not the case.