New OC Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18405
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: New OC Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:Vikings set to interview Bevell

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sKSx8H0Mdz_
Wtf? Why?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 pm

Bevell is actually a pretty good OC. Musgrave was the one I couldnt stand.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Transition Player
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:12 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:Vikings set to interview Bevell

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sKSx8H0Mdz_
Wtf? Why?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I wasn't around during his first run with the Vikings because the Rams were still in STL. Why do people dislike him?
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: New OC Thread

Post by mansquatch » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 pm

I've been thinking about it more and McAdoo might actually not be that bad. He has a strong track record other than the HC disaster this past season.

Bevell I think is a bad idea. SEA hugely struggled with OL issues under Bevell and they failed to really develop any offensive talent over 7 years other than Wilson. IMO, Bevell is part of that problem.

My dream hire would be for Zimmer to talk Arians out of retirement.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Transition Player
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... Cn&ampcf=1


A good breakdown of Bevell's career. He appears to fit what Zimmer wants to do as far as run the ball with authority. I don't think it would be a bad hire but I wasn't here for the first go around either. He hasn't had good QB play for the majority of his OC career it would seem with the exception of Favre and Wilson. Passing on the 1 with Lynch in the Super Bowl is one of the dumbest calls of all time though.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11320
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: New OC Thread

Post by S197 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:Vikings set to interview Bevell

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sKSx8H0Mdz_
Noooooo *inhales* ooooooo!!!

For those unfamiliar, he had one good year with Favre followed by an awful year. Maybe he was hamstrung by Childress but he seems to be a product of a good situation rather than going into a poor situation and making it better. Same thing in Seattle. The longer he had his hands on that team the worse it got. I'd prefer a coordinator that gets better as he evolves with a team, not worse.
0 x

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: New OC Thread

Post by halfgiz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:46 pm

S197 wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:Vikings set to interview Bevell

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sKSx8H0Mdz_
Noooooo *inhales* ooooooo!!!

For those unfamiliar, he had one good year with Favre followed by an awful year. Maybe he was hamstrung by Childress but he seems to be a product of a good situation rather than going into a poor situation and making it better. Same thing in Seattle. The longer he had his hands on that team the worse it got. I'd prefer a coordinator that gets better as he evolves with a team, not worse.
Agreed - Good post!
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Transition Player
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16 pm

https://youtu.be/9G4ZgPY1MdI

For what it's worth Bevell looks like he had a much better game plan against the Eagles than Shurmur. I'd be ok with the hire. I don't think Seattle gave him a lot to work with on offense especially recently.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:https://youtu.be/9G4ZgPY1MdI

For what it's worth Bevell looks like he had a much better game plan against the Eagles than Shurmur. I'd be ok with the hire. I don't think Seattle gave him a lot to work with on offense especially recently.
I agree 100%. Guys bring up the OL issues but look at the OL. They were a pile of no-names. That's not Bevells fault. Thats on Carroll and Schneider. I honestly wouldnt mind Bevell
0 x
Image

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: New OC Thread

Post by mansquatch » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:https://youtu.be/9G4ZgPY1MdI

For what it's worth Bevell looks like he had a much better game plan against the Eagles than Shurmur. I'd be ok with the hire. I don't think Seattle gave him a lot to work with on offense especially recently.
I agree 100%. Guys bring up the OL issues but look at the OL. They were a pile of no-names. That's not Bevells fault. Thats on Carroll and Schneider. I honestly wouldnt mind Bevell
I disagree, Bevell was unable to make the guys he was given work. He also is coming from an environment where the HC went out and blamed the state of the college game for the situation. That is an environment where it seems unlikely that he was encouraged, let alone able to solve the issue. By contrast the Vikings had a similar issue in 2016 and were able to go out and find guys (Elflein, Remmers, Reiff) and develop guys (Hill, Easton, Sirles) to turn around the unit in a single season.

I'm sure the Seahawks issues were not ALL on Bevell, in fact I felt he was fired because Carrol wasn't about to fire himself. But that doesn't mean Bevell is absolved of fault either. That unit in SEA was in steady decline to the point of being a dumpster fire last season. Whatever his level of input, the results across the board were POOR. Same at RB, Same at WR. The only place that offense has gotten better is QB. Given all the failure it is fair to ask, is that the player or the coach?

IMO, there are guys with a lot less baggage available. ALSO: We should be PICKY! Whomever gets this job is getting a built to win right now team with a solid roster on offense and an elite defense to back it up. You've got a bonafide stud RB in Cook, a top 5 WR Tandem, and a strong TE. You've got some issues to manage at QB and some depth concerns that's really about it. The guy they hire should be adding octane to the gas tank.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
halfgiz
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Re: New OC Thread

Post by halfgiz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:54 pm

@ProFootballTalk
Jan 22
Report: Darrell Bevell interviewing with Cardinals wp.me/p14QSB-awih

Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora
3h
Vikings will meet with Darrell Bevell about their OC opening on Friday


Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib
57m
Vikings QB coach Kevin Stefanski will talk with Mike Zimmer at his ranch this week about the team's offensive oordinator job, per source. @JasonLaCanfora reported Vikings are also talking to Darrell Bevell.
0 x

mondry
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8455
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: New OC Thread

Post by mondry » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:16 am

I think we're going to end up missing Pat Shurmur quite a bit... Some of you may remember me when I posted non stop and often enough about how much I "hated" Norv Turner (not as a person, just our OC!) and for good reason! Was Shurmur an elite offensive master mind? Probably not, but he was smart enough to play to our players strengths and implement a lot of effective concepts we just sort of lacked under Norv.

The guys track record for getting the most out of his QB can't be overlooked either. I remember being really excited for Teddy (and then Sam since Sam basically had his best season as a pro under shurmur) and he managed to polish a complete turd like Keenum into a huge payday... I hope he buys Shurmur a Ferrari or a Lambo when he inks that deal and holy hell do I hope it's not us giving him the money. I'm not -trying- to crap on Keenum here but people legitimately think he's suddenly a good QB, that's Pat Shurmur's impact folks.

As for his replacement I'm not sure. I don't see anyone that get's me excited in the sense that they'd be better than Pat, especially given our uncertainty going forward at QB. I think this is worse than losing Tomlin to the Steelers and now I hear we're interviewing BEVELL!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! The only thing worse than Bevell would be to bring Childress and his KICK #### OFFENSE back.

AND TODD HALEY??? I just congratulated my steelers fan friend for getting rid of that idiot who throws it 55 times against the Jaguars #1 pass defense when he has Leveon Bell on his team. Seriously, 55 passes to 15 carries for Bell week 5. The score at halftime was 7 to 6 so it's not like they were getting blown out and HAD to throw.

If we sign either one of those idiots I'm done for good LOL!
0 x

User avatar
Just Me
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6095
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Just Me » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:38 am

Maelstrom88 wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:Vikings set to interview Bevell

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sKSx8H0Mdz_
Wtf? Why?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I wasn't around during his first run with the Vikings because the Rams were still in STL. Why do people dislike him?
He was perceived to be "questionable" with his play calling. Here is just one of the threads that mention him. I'm sure there are lots of others.
0 x
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5325
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: New OC Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 am

mansquatch wrote: I disagree, Bevell was unable to make the guys he was given work. He also is coming from an environment where the HC went out and blamed the state of the college game for the situation. That is an environment where it seems unlikely that he was encouraged, let alone able to solve the issue. By contrast the Vikings had a similar issue in 2016 and were able to go out and find guys (Elflein, Remmers, Reiff) and develop guys (Hill, Easton, Sirles) to turn around the unit in a single season.

I'm sure the Seahawks issues were not ALL on Bevell, in fact I felt he was fired because Carrol wasn't about to fire himself. But that doesn't mean Bevell is absolved of fault either. That unit in SEA was in steady decline to the point of being a dumpster fire last season. Whatever his level of input, the results across the board were POOR. Same at RB, Same at WR. The only place that offense has gotten better is QB. Given all the failure it is fair to ask, is that the player or the coach?

IMO, there are guys with a lot less baggage available. ALSO: We should be PICKY! Whomever gets this job is getting a built to win right now team with a solid roster on offense and an elite defense to back it up. You've got a bonafide stud RB in Cook, a top 5 WR Tandem, and a strong TE. You've got some issues to manage at QB and some depth concerns that's really about it. The guy they hire should be adding octane to the gas tank.
I see what you're saying. It's tough though because I feel Bevell wasnt given much to work with other than Wilson, Baldwin and Graham. Their offensive lineman were a bunch of bums, they had no RBs worth a nickel and outside of Baldwin their WRs were below average. I mean they had the 15th ranked total offense which isnt horrible given what he had to work with. We saw first hand what it was like not having an OL and RB last season. And our offense was much worse than 15th. We were 28th. And that was with a halfway decent QB, good TE and good WRs. Fans questioned Shurmur last year because of that. And in one year, with good RBs and a much improved OL, he made a giant jump with this offense
0 x
Image

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8368
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: New OC Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:45 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
mansquatch wrote: I disagree, Bevell was unable to make the guys he was given work. He also is coming from an environment where the HC went out and blamed the state of the college game for the situation. That is an environment where it seems unlikely that he was encouraged, let alone able to solve the issue. By contrast the Vikings had a similar issue in 2016 and were able to go out and find guys (Elflein, Remmers, Reiff) and develop guys (Hill, Easton, Sirles) to turn around the unit in a single season.

I'm sure the Seahawks issues were not ALL on Bevell, in fact I felt he was fired because Carrol wasn't about to fire himself. But that doesn't mean Bevell is absolved of fault either. That unit in SEA was in steady decline to the point of being a dumpster fire last season. Whatever his level of input, the results across the board were POOR. Same at RB, Same at WR. The only place that offense has gotten better is QB. Given all the failure it is fair to ask, is that the player or the coach?

IMO, there are guys with a lot less baggage available. ALSO: We should be PICKY! Whomever gets this job is getting a built to win right now team with a solid roster on offense and an elite defense to back it up. You've got a bonafide stud RB in Cook, a top 5 WR Tandem, and a strong TE. You've got some issues to manage at QB and some depth concerns that's really about it. The guy they hire should be adding octane to the gas tank.
I see what you're saying. It's tough though because I feel Bevell wasnt given much to work with other than Wilson, Baldwin and Graham. Their offensive lineman were a bunch of bums, they had no RBs worth a nickel and outside of Baldwin their WRs were below average. I mean they had the 15th ranked total offense which isnt horrible given what he had to work with. We saw first hand what it was like not having an OL and RB last season. And our offense was much worse than 15th. We were 28th. And that was with a halfway decent QB, good TE and good WRs. Fans questioned Shurmur last year because of that. And in one year, with good RBs and a much improved OL, he made a giant jump with this offense
I never thought I would hear anyone wanting Bevell back and making excuses for him. The facts are he wasnt very good his first time around, and the reason we were good this year, had a lot to do with Shurmur.
0 x

Post Reply