NFC Championship Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: NFC Championship Reaction Thread

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:No I dont take it personally. What did I state above that shows I took anything personally other than him mentioning I was "trolling" which I can guarantee is the last thing I'm doing? I get that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not repeating my opinion. I explained different things that support my opinion. There is a big difference there. I havent talked about my support regarding Zimmer since last season.

What's frustrating is coming on here after a 13-3 season and 1 win away from a Super Bowl and seeing guys saying "Zim should be on the hot seat" or "Time to find a new HC" or "Fire Zim I'm done with him". Yeah you're entitled to your own opinion but those opinions are a little out there if you ask me. Has anyone ever heard of an organization FIRE a head coach in his 4th season where he made it to the NFC Championship?? Pretty sure that has literally NEVER happened. So I dont even know why it is being discussed.

I get that he deserves criticism for the last game and thats what Jim was saying. There were some things I questioned that he did in that game too. But from what Mike Zimmer started with in 2014 to what he has now and where he has brought this team, he has my full support and to say we should fire him is ridiculous if you ask me. And I suppose I let that frustration carry over to the spat that Jim and I had which is my own fault.

I do apologize if I offended anyone recently. This honestly has been the week from hell for me. Not only did the Vikings have an embarrassing loss on Sunday but Monday afternoon the police found one of my very good friends dead in his apartment at the age of 27. I do not want this to sound like a sob story by any means, I've just really been on edge this week and I apologize. Going through a pretty tough time right now.
I'm very sorry to hear that. No wonder you seem particularly emotional. My condolences. It sucks to lose a friend, especially someone so young.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:No I dont take it personally. What did I state above that shows I took anything personally other than him mentioning I was "trolling" which I can guarantee is the last thing I'm doing? I get that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not repeating my opinion. I explained different things that support my opinion. There is a big difference there. I havent talked about my support regarding Zimmer since last season.

What's frustrating is coming on here after a 13-3 season and 1 win away from a Super Bowl and seeing guys saying "Zim should be on the hot seat" or "Time to find a new HC" or "Fire Zim I'm done with him". Yeah you're entitled to your own opinion but those opinions are a little out there if you ask me. Has anyone ever heard of an organization FIRE a head coach in his 4th season where he made it to the NFC Championship?? Pretty sure that has literally NEVER happened. So I dont even know why it is being discussed.

I get that he deserves criticism for the last game and thats what Jim was saying. There were some things I questioned that he did in that game too. But from what Mike Zimmer started with in 2014 to what he has now and where he has brought this team, he has my full support and to say we should fire him is ridiculous if you ask me. And I suppose I let that frustration carry over to the spat that Jim and I had which is my own fault.

I do apologize if I offended anyone recently. This honestly has been the week from hell for me. Not only did the Vikings have an embarrassing loss on Sunday but Monday afternoon the police found one of my very good friends dead in his apartment at the age of 27. I do not want this to sound like a sob story by any means, I've just really been on edge this week and I apologize. Going through a pretty tough time right now.
I'm very sorry to hear that. No wonder you seem particularly emotional. My condolences. It sucks to lose a friend, especially someone so young.
Thanks Jim I appreciate it
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I think part of the defensive woes had to do with trying to make plays. You could see it in coverage, they were often beat trying to read Foles, and subsequently got burned by double moves. I think they felt like they needed to make something happen and play a lot riskier because absent a turnover, the offense was sputtering and the game was getting away. And they got torched by trying to make high risk/high reward plays. We saw something similar last year after the strong start. The defense started to feel like it more or less had to carry the offense at times, which led to more risk, poor execution, and bad outcomes.

I have a hard time reconciling a defense that held the Rams, Falcons, Saints, etc., in check only to have the Eagles find some magic formula. That's not to say the Eagles weren't the better team, they clearly were. But I think the score was exacerbated by a unit trying to take chances because they felt there wasn't another option.

I don't think it's a magic formula. It's just knowing how to attack the defense, having the personnel to do it and executing. Remember, even though they held the Saints, Rams and Falcons in check during the regular season, Carolina and Washington both put 30+ points up on them, Pittsburgh scored 26 and the Saints managed 24 in a half in the postseason.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Where I find that statement inaccurate is that there was never a need for the defense to carry the offense this year. It was true last year-not this year. That is not what lost the game against the Eagles. You could argue that we were almost too used to playing with the lead most of the year, but make no mistake what happened Sunday was a Hindenberg/Titanic performance across the board. We marched right down the field; scored, and then got a quick defensive stop. All downhill from there.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

mosscarter wrote:Where I find that statement inaccurate is that there was never a need for the defense to carry the offense this year. It was true last year-not this year.
Except for the last game. :wink: