Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Next years QB

Post by halfgiz »

Maelstrom88 wrote:I think they should try to get Cousins or Eli Manning. Move on from everyone but Sloter and still draft one when talent meets draft slot. Everyone knows the future QB isn't here now so why waste time on any of them?
If we get Ben McAdoo as our OC you will never see Eli Manning.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

mansquatch wrote:Th
If you are going to gamble on a QB with a bad knee why would you gamble on Teddy if Bradford is also available? Based on onfield performance, Bradford is a SUPERIOR Passer, and it's not even close. (that applies to Keenum also) The trade-off is mobility, but with a completely rebuilt knee on Teddy is that gap going to be as wide? The only way I see taking Teddy here is if it is proven out that Bradford's Knee is riskier than Bridgewater's.
One advantage to Teddy is that Bradford has had multiple knee injuries in his career. Teddy's may have been a freak accident, but it seems Bradford is highly susceptible to injury, based on the evidence we have.
ATL_Viking
Backup

Post by ATL_Viking »

IMO: Sign Teddy to a 1-2 yr "prove it" deal on the cheap (sub-10m). Make Sloter the backup. Sign a vet (preferably) or draft a late rounder for depth.

I don't believe in Bradford's ability to hold up as a starter, and I believe we saw Keenum's ceiling this year (the floaters and 50/50 balls gave me ulcers). I believe both will demand starter-money, and I don't think its wise to invest in either.

Teddy still has a ton of upside in my mind. His football IQ is as high as it gets, and from what I understand he worked like a madman on upper body and arm strength during the rehab which would address my biggest knock on him (he couldn't throw with heat AND accuracy at the same time). I don't think he was ever a good fit for Norv's offense, and I don't think he had as much talent around him on offense as he would in 2018 (particularly if Spielman addresses the #1 talent problem on the roster and brings in offensive linemen). I think with the right OC hire, he has a very high ceiling, and I think we have a better shot at signing him to a low-money / short term deal than we do Keenum or Bradford or Cousins or Brees or Smith. I'd rather use cap space to extend talent on the roster today and bring in more talent on the lines. I firmly believe a healthy Teddy could have done what Keenum did with this year's offense.

As for Sloter....watch his highlights on youtube, read some interviews with him, and you see why they've done so much to keep him. The guy deserves a shot to develop. If Teddy doesn't "prove it" in a short term deal, there's every reason to believe this kid could step in and take everyone by surprise.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Kirk Cousins might be the best bet for us. I wouldn't mind Alex Smith.

I personally don't think it would be wise to franchise Keenum. No way we franchise Bradford or Teddy.

I want Teddy to stay, but if he goes I will understand it.

Hopefully the team looks into drafting a QB in the draft. I am a big proponent of taking a QB every year - it is simply smart with the way the NFL is now.
We're on the same page. I hope they go all in on Cousins. I also agree with drafting Qbs often. I probably wouldn't every year because then you'd run out of roster spots before a guy's rookie deal was up but every couple of years for sure. I'm against having Sean Hill type guys who you know are average at best. I'd much rather have a young guy with upside who has been in the system for a year or two as an understudy. Our system will likely be changing now so it doesn't matter (which is why I'm a proponent of having an offensive head coach but I love Zim) but Sloter would be a good backup to Keenum (on a tag), Alex Smith, or ideally Kirk Cousins. Cousins would probably cost us on resigning some of our young defensive players but he would give us the best chance to win it all next year (unless Brees is miraculously on the table) and provide stability for 3 to 5 years at Qb. No matter who they get they must shore up the offensive line though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

ATL_Viking wrote:IMO: Sign Teddy to a 1-2 yr "prove it" deal on the cheap (sub-10m). Make Sloter the backup. Sign a vet (preferably) or draft a late rounder for depth.

I don't believe in Bradford's ability to hold up as a starter, and I believe we saw Keenum's ceiling this year (the floaters and 50/50 balls gave me ulcers). I believe both will demand starter-money, and I don't think its wise to invest in either.

Teddy still has a ton of upside in my mind. His football IQ is as high as it gets, and from what I understand he worked like a madman on upper body and arm strength during the rehab which would address my biggest knock on him (he couldn't throw with heat AND accuracy at the same time). I don't think he was ever a good fit for Norv's offense, and I don't think he had as much talent around him on offense as he would in 2018 (particularly if Spielman addresses the #1 talent problem on the roster and brings in offensive linemen). I think with the right OC hire, he has a very high ceiling, and I think we have a better shot at signing him to a low-money / short term deal than we do Keenum or Bradford or Cousins or Brees or Smith. I'd rather use cap space to extend talent on the roster today and bring in more talent on the lines. I firmly believe a healthy Teddy could have done what Keenum did with this year's offense.

As for Sloter....watch his highlights on youtube, read some interviews with him, and you see why they've done so much to keep him. The guy deserves a shot to develop. If Teddy doesn't "prove it" in a short term deal, there's every reason to believe this kid could step in and take everyone by surprise.
Bradford will be cheaper precisely because of his injury history. If he's healthy, he's a play maker. The real question with taking the Bradford approach is going to be who backs him up. If the Vikes can find another Keenum, or Sloter is ready, then it's a low-cost, relatively low-risk, high-reward move at QB to bring Bradford back. If necessary, add incentives so that if Bradford remains healthy and the team is successful, he gets paid. If he can't stay healthy, the team isn't out much.

Keenum is going to want starter money and he's going to get it from someone. Given his entire body of work so far, is that a good investment for the Vikings? He didn't exactly light it up in the playoffs. Some really poor and costly decisions. He wasn't nearly as elusive escaping pressure. His timing and accuracy also seemed to be off at times.

Bridgewater I don't know. I'd love for him to stay on the team but we don't even know if he can play, plus his injury history is far more disturbing than Bradford's at this point. I don't see any viable way to bring him in as a starter, and as I understand it that's what he wants. If he's comfortable going into camp on a prove it contract as the backup with a chance to win the starting job, bring him back. Otherwise, I don't see it happening for him in Minnesota.
Vikes Guy
Waterboy

Post by Vikes Guy »

It would be nice to see some stability at qb and I guy who could be drafted and grow along with the offense. Being a CFL fan I always love a mobile guy. Man I'd really love to see a healthy Bridgewater get a shot though. I hope he's back.
I'm not a fan of pylon qb's unless you're Tom Brady like.
Nothing better then having your team win a Championship like my Toronto Argonauts so please Vikings get it together. 48 years as a fan is way too long to wait. Win or lose I'm a Viking fan for LIFE.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

720pete wrote:
If you are going to gamble on a QB with a bad knee why would you gamble on Teddy if Bradford is also available? Based on onfield performance, Bradford is a SUPERIOR Passer, and it's not even close. (that applies to Keenum also) The trade-off is mobility, but with a completely rebuilt knee on Teddy is that gap going to be as wide? The only way I see taking Teddy here is if it is proven out that Bradford's Knee is riskier than Bridgewater's.
One advantage to Teddy is that Bradford has had multiple knee injuries in his career. Teddy's may have been a freak accident, but it seems Bradford is highly susceptible to injury, based on the evidence we have.
OK, but let's look at this through a different lens.

Bradford's first knee injury happened in his second year in the league.

Teddy's knee injury happened after his second year in the league.

How do you know Teddy isn't "highly susceptible" to injury? He hasn't been around as long. He's taken 5 snaps since his injury.

Look, I'm not advocating for anyone. In fact, I'm as unsure as I've ever been. Two weeks ago ... heck, one week ago ... I was all-in for Keenum. Now I admit, I'm not sure. I just don't think you can say Teddy Bridgewater isn't susceptible to injury when he just came off one of the most devastating injuries anybody has ever seen. None of us know the future.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

How much would it cost to trade for Andrew Luck?
mael·strom

SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

When Teddy says he sees himself as a starter next year isn't that just like the inexperienced boxer saying he's going to beat the champ? Don't they require that mindset to push themselves and sell themselves? He will have to let the market decide if he's a starter like everyone else and he'll ultimately accept what he can get because it beats working for a living.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maelstrom88 wrote:How much would it cost to trade for Andrew Luck?
He's more injury prone than teddy or Sam.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

SkolScot wrote:When Teddy says he sees himself as a starter next year isn't that just like the inexperienced boxer saying he's going to beat the champ? Don't they require that mindset to push themselves and sell themselves? He will have to let the market decide if he's a starter like everyone else and he'll ultimately accept what he can get because it beats working for a living.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly. I can't think of any team out there that is desperate enough to gov a guy who has played in two years the starting job. It's not like he was the number one or two overall pick in the draft. A lot of teams passed on him when he was healthy.
mael·strom

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Keenum 2017 season #5 best in team history. Bradford 2016 was #4 best. Teddy's best year? # 22nd best.

I think some of Keenums problem towards the end of the year was the the offensive line falling apart do to injury.
The last 2 games the offensive line was all rearranged and I think that affected their performance.

Myself I don't want to give up another draft pick for an average QB.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
720pete wrote:
OK, but let's look at this through a different lens.

Bradford's first knee injury happened in his second year in the league.

Teddy's knee injury happened after his second year in the league.

How do you know Teddy isn't "highly susceptible" to injury? He hasn't been around as long. He's taken 5 snaps since his injury.

Look, I'm not advocating for anyone. In fact, I'm as unsure as I've ever been. Two weeks ago ... heck, one week ago ... I was all-in for Keenum. Now I admit, I'm not sure. I just don't think you can say Teddy Bridgewater isn't susceptible to injury when he just came off one of the most devastating injuries anybody has ever seen. None of us know the future.

If you're hellbent on signing one of the three, sign the best passer and also draft one.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

For me, its hard to say at this point. I'd like the vikings to keep Teddy on the roster and see how well he does through camp. I also think it'll be kind of messed up for the Vikings to drop Case after what he did for us this season.

Bradford was amazing up until he got hurt. I dont want to see him go either. I think he the most accurate of the three.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

ProFootballTalk
@ProFootballTalk
Saints “not anticipating any big issues” in Drew Brees negotiations wp.me/p14QSB-awnS