NFC Championship Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: NFC Championship Reaction Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

allday1991 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:I highly doubt their plan is “win it all with a dominant defense”. They had a pretty damn good offense this year. One that he drastically improved in one year. Along with a very good defense. I can tell you Zim wants a complete team. Not just a dominant defense. Not sure why that’s being portrayed.
He's got one way to win in my opinion, and no idea how to manufacture a comeback at all like zero.
No idea how to manufacture a comeback? Where does that even come from? We were 11th in total offense this year. No less we didn’t have many defensive scoring plays that would jack that stat up.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:Wow that article was pretty unsettling. Doug Peterson completely out coached Mike Zimmer in this game. They had answers for all of his blitzes and seem to know what coverages the Vikings were in all the time. It was not a good game for Anthony Barr based on those videos or Johnson the defensive tackle. I really think this team needs to get a pass-rushing defensive tackle who won't get mauled in the run game either. That breakdown was very impressive if you are an Eagles fan.
It's definitely unsettling to see a team so successfully diagnose and dismantle the Vikings defense but as you said, it's encouraging if you're an Eagles fan.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I highly doubt their plan is “win it all with a dominant defense”. They had a pretty damn good offense this year. One that he drastically improved in one year. Along with a very good defense. I can tell you Zim wants a complete team. Not just a dominant defense. Not sure why that’s being portrayed.
It's truly mystifying!
You’re right. It is mystifying. Went from the 28th total offense last year to 11th this year. But yeah, just wants to “win it all with a dominant defense”. That’s all he’s trying to do. That’s the big plan! :roll:
Do you think a Zimmer led team will ever have an offense as aggressive or feared as the defense?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:You’re right. It is mystifying. Went from the 28th total offense last year to 11th this year. But yeah, just wants to “win it all with a dominant defense”. That’s all he’s trying to do. That’s the big plan! :roll:
There's nothing mystifying about it all. It's self-evident that for 4 years the Vikings have emphasized defense. The point isn't that they're ignoring offense. It's simply that the defense is clearly supposed to be the lynchpin of the team and that's so obvious it's not even worth arguing about. They didn't spend the past 4 years trying to build an offensive juggernaut.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Mothman wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:You’re right. It is mystifying. Went from the 28th total offense last year to 11th this year. But yeah, just wants to “win it all with a dominant defense”. That’s all he’s trying to do. That’s the big plan! :roll:
There's nothing mystifying about it all. It's self-evident that for 4 years the Vikings have emphasized defense. The point isn't that they're ignoring offense. It's simply that the defense is clearly supposed to be the lynchpin of the team and that's so obvious it's not even worth arguing about. They didn't spend the past 4 years trying to build an offensive juggernaut.
Agree. the offense will have aberration games like in week 1 against the Saints where they explode but typically they are just asked not to put the defense in bad position and let the defense do the heavy lifting.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
But over the last two years they’ve put more emphasis on the offense and it’s showing. So again, I don’t think that’s Zims “plan”. Like anyone knows that regardless
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Do you think a Zimmer led team will ever have an offense as aggressive or feared as the defense?
I can see that. It’s all about landing the right pieces
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Mothman wrote:
But over the last two years they’ve put more emphasis on the offense and it’s showing. So again, I don’t think that’s Zims “plan”. Like anyone knows that regardless
Zim's plan, Spielman's plan, the team's plan... whatever. They've emphasized defense from the start and the point is Zimmer's approach to defense may have a lower ceiling than some previously thought. It turned out his "elite" defense (as you're fond of describing it) was far from elite against postseason competition and that's not the first time that's happened. Consequently, whatever the Vikings plan, it better involve an offense more capable of compensating when the defense gives up 24+ to opposing teams. Either that, or they need to figure out how to field a defense that can actually perform at an elite level in the playoffs.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Yeah their defense was the worst part of this team when he took it over. It needed to be addressed however we’ve gone over this before, he’s drafted just as many defensive guys as he has offensive. I wouldn’t say his plan is to win it all with defense. I don’t think that’s any coaches plan. You win it all as a team. Bottom line is, what I’m disagreeing with is you saying that’s been his plan all along. I don’t agree with that one bit. The first two picks he had this year were offense. The first pick the year before was offense. He had 6 offensive draft picks last year. He’s trying to build a team. Not a defense. He went out to find his franchise QB, his franchise RB, etc.

As for the elite defense part, any defense that is in the top 2 in pretty much every statistical category and has the best third down defense EVER, which is a giant feat given how the game is now, is elite. They laid an egg in the playoffs. They’ve laid an egg at some point every year. Unfortunately they did it this year at the wrong time. And FYI, the defenses that were considered elite also laid eggs every year. Go look at the ravens. They gave up well over 400 total yards, 36 points and had a WR go for 291 and 3tds against them. But they were elite right? Granted it wasn’t in the playoffs but either way, this defense gets criticized for not being elite anytime that happens to them. Which is about once to twice a year. It happens. That doesn’t mean they aren’t elite. If they aren’t elite they are awfully damn close
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Yeah their defense was the worst part of this team when he took it over. It needed to be addressed however we’ve gone over this before, he’s drafted just as many defensive guys as he has offensive. I wouldn’t say his plan is to win it all with defense.
:wallbang:

I meant "win it all" as in "win the Super Bowl" not as in "win exclusively with defense". I was never suggesting they weren't trying to build a good offense and again, none of this is the main point.
As for the elite defense part, any defense that is in the top 2 in pretty much every statistical category and has the best third down defense EVER, which is a giant feat given how the game is now, is elite.
Statistically, yes, and that's just spiffy but what good is it if they fall apart when it matters most? Allowing 55 points in 6 quarters of playoff football is awful. Compiling a great statistical season primarily by beating up on average and below average offenses is great but the real measure of a defense is how it plays in the biggest games. Who cares if the Vikes defense is statistically elite during the regular season if they fall apart in the postseason? The '85 Bears allowed a total of 10 points over 3 postseason games (and shut out 2 of 3 opponents). That's what truly elite defense looks like. The '86 Giants allowed 23 points over 3 postseason games (they also had a shutout). The 2000 Ravens? They allowed 23 points over four postseason games and twice held opponents to just 3 points. Those defenses were elite when it mattered most.
Vikes Guy
Waterboy

Post by Vikes Guy »

I felt this D played with fire all year long. I hate this bend but not break type of crap. How many games did they end up with a lucky pick in their red zone or after moving the ball right down the field the D finally shut the door. I also think they may have listen to all the talk about Foles and taken him to lightly.
How do you focus after the massive socking win against the Saints when you looked dead in the water. I was still in shock half way through last week.
Man the Vikings has historically during great years play horribly or had a real choke job in their last game. Just heart breaking stuff. The only fans who can relate reside in Buffalo. To this day you'll never hear the words wide or right used there. haha.

This team has played it's heart out with massive injury loss the last two years to such key positions. I'd bring back Bridgewater and Keenum. Would be nice to see Teddy come full circle and lead this team to a championship they deserve. Everyone lucks a feel good story and that would be it. In this day and age I'd like to see a qb whose is well rounded and can not only pass from the pocket but on the run and run like the wind. I do tend to have some differing views being a CFL fan as well.
Nothing better then having your team win a Championship like my Toronto Argonauts so please Vikings get it together. 48 years as a fan is way too long to wait. Win or lose I'm a Viking fan for LIFE.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Here's where I am at. I am pissed. Mad. Angry. How do you go into that fame, even in a normal year much less when you will be hosting the Super Bowl, and play like that? I'm mad at the players, and even more so the coaches. The game plan for Philly was embarrassing.
It's just a horrible ending to a great season, one where everything went our way. Look at how Keenum took control of the team. That skol chant after the Diggs TD was almost orgasmic.
I don't even know what else to say. I have never been mad after a loss. After this loss, I am mad. This opportunity will never happen again (hosting the Super Bowl). They blew it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Here's where I am at. I am pissed. Mad. Angry. How do you go into that fame, even in a normal year much less when you will be hosting the Super Bowl, and play like that? I'm mad at the players, and even more so the coaches. The game plan for Philly was embarrassing.
It's just a horrible ending to a great season, one where everything went our way. Look at how Keenum took control of the team. That skol chant after the Diggs TD was almost orgasmic.
I don't even know what else to say. I have never been mad after a loss. After this loss, I am mad. This opportunity will never happen again (hosting the Super Bowl). They blew it.
I think that's a very understandable reaction and reading through the board, it sounds like you aren't alone.

After having a few days to let the game settle in, I think the best word to describe how I feel about it is disgusted. As you asked, how can the team go into a game that significant and play so poorly? There are all sorts of potential explanations but the bottom line is that simply shouldn't happen. They weren't even competitive.

I wonder how the Wilfs handled it. I have to say, if I owned the team I think I'd call Mike Zimmer into my office, thank him for his hard work, congratulate him on a fine season and then make it crystal clear that the next time his team shows up for a playoff game and plays like they did on Sunday, it will be the last game he coaches for the Minnesota Vikings.

Maybe I AM mad... :lol:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I said it before too... If the Wilfs or Rick or whoever decided they wanted to fire Zimmer, I wouldn't argue with it. Doesn't mean I want it. Doesn't mean I am advocating it. But you know what? If I did my job that poorly, I am certain I would have to look for something else, or at the very least, be on a very short leash.
Again, the players are part to blame too. But for a professional coach to have a game like that in that situation, it's just mind boggling.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:Zimmer's scheme is based on three things: Physicality, Technique, and Execution. When guys are getting 4-6 YAC on swing plays that isn't getting figured out, that is missing tackle. AKA Lack of Execution. When we are not getting sacks, it is lack of physicality. The gaps in the defense were not gaping holes in the scheme, they were there because players were not executing.

Consider that just 4 weeks ago a Dallas Defense held this team, sans Foles to a shutout. The Giants Defense, which was an atrocity this season held Foles to fewer points than the Vikings did.

In terms of New Orleans, you are leaving out the fact that 14 of their points came off of a terrible Keenum INT and a Blocked Punt. Short Fields against a HOF QB are never good no matter who you are. I'm not going to totally hammer the D for that. More blame to be shared.

The Vikings didn't give up 38 points because their scheme is invalid. They gave up 38 points because they didn't show up to play with the same intensity as the Eagles. My blame on the coaching staff is the fact this event transpired and the fact that they couldn't get the team back to being competitive.
The Vikings scheme isn't invalid but it is vulnerable and make no mistake, they didn't just get hammered because they executed poorly (although they did execute poorly). They were out-schemed. The Eagles clearly studied Zimmer's defense, were well-prepared for it and they repeatedly took advantage of it. The team's website actually has a good article and breakdown of some of the ways they did this if anybody is interested:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ ... 8752dd465e

I think we as fans, and the Vikings themselves, need to consider the possibility that Zimmer's defensive philosophy has a ceiling and it may not be high enough. Note that I said possibility because I don't know with any certainty that this is the case but if his approach to defense was really capable of the kind of postseason dominance that has carried some great defensive teams of the past to Super Bowl wins, it sure seems like we should see that manifested more clearly in his overall record. He's been around a long time and has coached in quite a few playoff games. In frigid conditions, his defense held Seattle to a very low point total in 2015 but other than that, the tendency has been for Zimmer's defenses to allow 20+ points in postseason games, and a few times considerably more.

Again, I'm not trying to beat up on Zimmer but winning it all with dominant defense clearly seems like it's the plan in Minnesota and if that's the case, Zimmer needs to start figuring out how his defense can actually dominate in the playoffs.
What is amazing about that excellent analysis of how the Eagles attacked and beat the Viking defense is how basic the approach was. It wasn't really sophisticated. It relied in large part on a lack of any real pass rush pressure from the Vikings and excellent execution from Nick Foles and the Philly receivers, but man did it work against the Vikings. I can only imagine what Mike Zimmer would be thinking watching tape of that complete demolition of his defense.

Got to hand it to Foles - he was a real cool customer out there, made some excellent throws, and luck was also on his side. For some reason, I doubt he'll ever play that well again, but he looked like he was not human for most of that game.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:Here's where I am at. I am pissed. Mad. Angry. How do you go into that fame, even in a normal year much less when you will be hosting the Super Bowl, and play like that? I'm mad at the players, and even more so the coaches. The game plan for Philly was embarrassing.
I think that's a very understandable reaction and reading through the board, it sounds like you aren't alone.

After having a few days to let the game settle in, I think the best word to describe how I feel about it is disgusted. As you asked, how can the team go into a game that significant and play so poorly? There are all sorts of potential explanations but the bottom line is that simply shouldn't happen. They weren't even competitive.

I wonder how the Wilfs handled it. I have to say, if I owned the team I think I'd call Mike Zimmer into my office, thank him for his hard work, congratulate him on a fine season and then make it crystal clear that the next time his team shows up for a playoff game and plays like they did on Sunday, it will be the last game he coaches for the Minnesota Vikings.

Maybe I AM mad... :lol:
I'm disgusted that I fell for it yet again. The Vikings made me believe this year would be different. Wrong yet again.

We're all Charlie Brown and the Vikings are Lucy, and no matter how many times she tells us she won't yank the ball away at the last second, she will.