Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Next years QB

Post by Cliff »

Teddy Bridgewater 'definitely' sees himself as starter
The back-from-injury signal-caller told reporters Monday that he "definitely" sees himself as a starter in 2018, according to ESPN's Kevin Seifert. Bridgewater, though, acknowledged that such a role might have to happen somewhere other than Minnesota.

Bridgewater courageously returned this season from a devastating knee injury that wiped out his 2016 campaign. The former starter was essentially demoted during the playoffs, though, floating in the abyss behind Keenum and Bradford and calling the experience a "test of my character."

In a perfect world, the Vikings would keep Bridgewater around to compete with Keenum for the starting role. Not an easy solution, however, when both players see themselves as leading men.

It boils down to how this coaching staff feels about Keenum as a long-term answer at the most important position in sports. He played out of his mind all season and deserves to be seen for his entire body of work -- not just Sunday's implosion.

As for Bridgewater, if his time is up in Minnesota, he'll quickly find employment elsewhere. He's 25 years old with plenty of solid game tape under his belt. If the Vikings don't want him, someone else will.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

S197 wrote:Just thinking out loud but lets not forget Payton was very non-committal to Brees after the loss. Offer him a stupid amount of money and go all in next year. McKinnon may be the only guy we need to sign this free agency. A lot more guys the following year but for at least one more season the team is mostly in tact. You can find interior lineman like Elflein in 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Show Brees he'll have a o-line. He already knows he'll have Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph. Not to mention Dalvin Cook. Plus a defense. I know the guy loves NO but it's not that improbable.
They're not going to make any decisions on a QB until they know what is available externally.

McKinnon made the statement he wants a bigger role next year he is going to look around.

Ben Goessling retweeted
Chris Hine
@ChristopherHine
4h
Jerick McKinnon said he appreciated his role this season with the Vikings, but as he heads to free agency, he’d ideally like to go somewhere he can be the featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” #Vikings
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

halfgiz wrote:
S197 wrote:Just thinking out loud but lets not forget Payton was very non-committal to Brees after the loss. Offer him a stupid amount of money and go all in next year. McKinnon may be the only guy we need to sign this free agency. A lot more guys the following year but for at least one more season the team is mostly in tact. You can find interior lineman like Elflein in 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Show Brees he'll have a o-line. He already knows he'll have Thielen, Diggs, and Rudolph. Not to mention Dalvin Cook. Plus a defense. I know the guy loves NO but it's not that improbable.
They're not going to make any decisions on a QB until they know what is available externally.

McKinnon made the statement he wants a bigger role next year he is going to look around.

Ben Goessling retweeted
Chris Hine
@ChristopherHine
4h
Jerick McKinnon said he appreciated his role this season with the Vikings, but as he heads to free agency, he’d ideally like to go somewhere he can be the featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” #Vikings
With Cook back, we would have no need for Mckinnon.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:With Cook back, we would have no need for Mckinnon.
I'm no more confident in Cook's ability to come back from a severe knee injury than I am Teddy's. You never know what a player will look like after a knee injury.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This whole quarterback situation is unsettling.

A week ago, I was convinced ... use the franchise tag on Case Keenum.

But now? Man, I just don't know. I still like the guy, but franchising him would be saying, "We believe this guy can get us to the Super Bowl." Because with this roster and having reached the NFCC game, that's the only thing left. And now I have to ask, "Is he?"

One problem for me was that I saw almost none of the second half because power went out in my neighborhood (mercifully). By the time it came back on, the game was 38-7 at the 2-minute warning. I don't know how Keenum looked the rest of the game. In the first half, I actually didn't think he was bad. He just had no protection. But there's this uneasy feeling for me with Keenum that wasn't there a month ago. Is "not bad" what you want in the championship game?

The Vikings have gone from having a pretty good quarterback situation to a nearly impossible one. I have to believe Bradford is gone. So if I were a betting man, I'd wager that Zimmer wants an open competition between Teddy and Case. But how do you do that? Who do you pay? How much?

This is not a fun time for Rick Spielman.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:This whole quarterback situation is unsettling.

But now? Man, I just don't know. I still like the guy, but franchising him would be saying, "We believe this guy can get us to the Super Bowl." Because with this roster and having reached the NFCC game, that's the only thing left. And now I have to ask, "Is he?"

One problem for me was that I saw almost none of the second half because power went out in my neighborhood (mercifully). By the time it came back on, the game was 38-7 at the 2-minute warning. I don't know how Keenum looked the rest of the game. In the first half, I actually didn't think he was bad. He just had no protection. But there's this uneasy feeling for me with Keenum that wasn't there a month ago. Is "not bad" what you want in the championship game?

The Vikings have gone from having a pretty good quarterback situation to a nearly impossible one. I have to believe Bradford is gone. So if I were a betting man, I'd wager that Zimmer wants an open competition between Teddy and Case. But how do you do that? Who do you pay? How much?

I had mercy on myself and turned the game off for a bit in the 2nd half to go do chores. The devil in me turned it back on, only to see him throw his last pick. I also saw him overthrow both Diggs and (even worse throw) Thielen on really easy routes. In short: he looked bad.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:This whole quarterback situation is unsettling.

I had mercy on myself and turned the game off for a bit in the 2nd half to go do chores. The devil in me turned it back on, only to see him throw his last pick. I also saw him overthrow both Diggs and (even worse throw) Thielen on really easy routes. In short: he looked bad.
My wife (when the power went out): "Do you want to go to a bar and watch the second half?

Me: "Um, do you really think I want to PAY to see this?"
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

WadeWilson wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Raz wrote:Something changed down the stretch and in the playoffs case got more conservative less mobile or something the big or explosive or lucky plays went down. Personally I think it was the coaches pulling it in
I agree. The coaches got scared. You could see it in the Chicago game. It was a totally different offense. They lost their aggression. I think Shurmur let his new fame go to his head.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The offense looked like Shurmur had already checked out and left town. I predict he will fail in New York.

Look a Philly’s play calling in this game. That was a clinic and it made Shurmur look like an amateur.

I hope Darrell Bevell stays away. Want no part of that mess again.
I hear Chili is available. :rofl:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

halfgiz wrote:

Ben Goessling retweeted
Chris Hine
@ChristopherHine
4h
I don't think he can stand up physically to being a featured back but can understand him wanting that. And the unlikelihood of getting it here.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

@Kapp
:lol:

It wasn't worth watching even for free. So disappointing. I can only imagine how it felt for the fans that flew up to Philly.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

S197 wrote:I don't think he can stand up physically to being a featured back but can understand him wanting that. And the unlikelihood of getting it here.
Agree, I think Cook and Murray will be a dynamic combination. I know our intent was to use Cook almost exclusively this year, but I wouldn't mind him splitting 75/25 with Murray. I think they have complimentary styles. As much as I love Jerrick, I don't think he can offer much that is complimentary to Cook.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I think the Vikings' intentions and likely off season actions at QB are evident in a few things they did in the playoffs: 1) Bradford was the backup, not Teddy 2) Keenum played the whole Eagles' game, despite the fact that we needed to score lots of points in a short amount of time and despite Zimmer's having cited that as a rationale for having Sam be the backup.

My conclusion? Case will be our guy, unless they (somehow) feel confident that Bradford's knee can hold up. Teddy, if he's signed, will only be considered in a backup role until he proves he's ready.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Kirk Cousins might be the best bet for us. I wouldn't mind Alex Smith.

I personally don't think it would be wise to franchise Keenum. No way we franchise Bradford or Teddy.

I want Teddy to stay, but if he goes I will understand it.

Hopefully the team looks into drafting a QB in the draft. I am a big proponent of taking a QB every year - it is simply smart with the way the NFL is now.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

I loved Keenum this year, but I'm very leary of committing long term to him. He may be finally hitting his stride, but he could also be a one-hit wonder. I think Shurmur had an awful lot to do with his success this year, and now he's gone. It's hard to predict how he'll fit into the scheme of a new OC. I think the franchise tag would be too much, but honestly, I'd much rather them do that than to commit long term at this point. He knows his value is at an all-time high. I highly doubt he'll settle for incentive laden contract to stay here. I wouldn't blame him either.

Personally, I think I would rather go after Cousins, who at least has a solid history of producing. I think he would be great match with our defense. He's got a bit of the gunslinger mentally, but his arm is stronger than Keenum. His price tag will be very high though.

Alex Smith is actually a good option for us too. He has a really strong arm too. Much less of a gunslinger, but I think he is hampered by Andy Reid's conservative offense. It drives me nuts the way Reid coaches. I think his price would be better than Cousins with not much of a difference in production.

Brees is a pipe-dream, but he would be incredible here. Huge price tag, but probably worth it short-term. He would be my first choice if I had one :)

Sadly, one guy that I think would be great, but we can't trust him, is Bradford. He is a such a talent, but you simply can't trust him to stay on the field. In my opinion he would have surpassed Keenum this year if he played.

Bridgewater... this is a very tough one. I really wanted to see what he could do, but I think the Vikings activating Bradford for the playoffs spoke a lot about where the coaches saw him. Yes, it changes next year. If we can somehow keep him and have him compete for the job in camp, I think it would be great. I suspect he'll get a offer from some QB desperate team with a clear chance to start.
Damian
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

There is a lot of unknown, but here are my random thoughts?

If you are going to gamble on a QB with a bad knee why would you gamble on Teddy if Bradford is also available? Based on onfield performance, Bradford is a SUPERIOR Passer, and it's not even close. (that applies to Keenum also) The trade-off is mobility, but with a completely rebuilt knee on Teddy is that gap going to be as wide? The only way I see taking Teddy here is if it is proven out that Bradford's Knee is riskier than Bridgewater's.

If Keenum is the guy then they need to find an OC that can keep his negatives in check and Keenum absolutely needs to fix his tendency to throw up 2-4 ducks a game. I love his Moxie and intangibles, but he can't give away short fields and points in the playoffs like he did this year.

Even if TB is 100% recovered, the next question is efficacy. Keenum had a huge season. TB's best numbers are still 14 TD / 9 INT. Why would you on 14/9 when Keenum's 2017 is on the books?

Obviously, contract negotiations and what not will play into this.

My main hope in this is that the coaching staff has done a very thorough job of evaluating these guys. This decision can't be overstated in it's importance.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi