2018 Offseason Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

JDLon wrote:
We will be loaded here going into next year getting Cook back. Murray is an excellent backup option that can contribute. McKinnon is set to be a FA. I'd love to have him back but it will be a tough sell when we have both Cook and Murray under contract.
I'd be hoping to keep all 3 - RBs especially need depth as we saw this year. Per overthecap (if i'm reading it right) we have Murray on $5m, Cook on $1.6m and McKinnon currently on $0.7m. I'd expect to sign McKinnon for what $1m-$1.5m? You could maybe even shave that difference off Murray if you guarantee him a lot more over the next 2 years. Cook looked great but got a bad injury, the other two more than held their own the rest of the season - why mess with a solid unit to save $1m or so. Keep as is and one area we don't have to worry about in the off season.
McKinnon is as good as gone. He said so yesterday.

He sees himself as a feature back, and he's looking for somebody to give him that opportunity. No matter what, I guarantee you he won't accept being the third RB behind Cook and Murray.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote:I'd keep teddy/sloter/draft a QB at the end of the first/second round.
Draft who?

Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph will all be gone before we pick.

Who does that leave at quarterback?

Lamar Jackson? I'm not convinced he's an NFL quarterback. Riley Ferguson? He couldn't beat Iowa State on his home field in a bowl game. Luke Falk? "Doesn't have a big arm, but nice touch and a quick release." Sounds a lot like Case Keenum. Clayton Thorson? Yeah, those Northwestern quarterbacks always work out in the NFL.

There isn't anybody I'd use the 30th pick on. There isn't anybody I'd use the 60th pick on. Especially when we need talent along the O-line and D-line. Your mileage may vary.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

MikethePurple wrote:
mansquatch wrote:I strongly doubt they'll get Brees to leave NO. Just my $0.02. My guess is they'll tag him if it comes to that.

Cousins is a possibility, but that's probably it in FA.
I agree that Brees will very likely stay in NO (even though it'd be a beautiful pipe dream to have him in MN). I believe they have a clause in his last contract that doesn't allow them to tag him, but from everything I have read that wouldn't come in to play as there is mutual interest to keep it going.
Correct, they can't tag him.
Saints coach Sean Payton held his season-ending press conference on Tuesday and although he was willing to answer most questions that he was asked during the roughly 10-minute session, there was one subject he definitely didn't want to talk about: The future of Drew Brees.

Brees is about to become a free agent in the truest since of the word and that's mainly because the quarterback has a clause in his contract that prohibits use of the franchise tag, which means he'll be free to leave New Orleans this offseason.

Although Payton watched Brees nearly lead an improbable comeback from a 17-0 halftime deficit against one of the best defenses in the NFL on Sunday, he wasn't ready to commit to Brees when he was asked about the quarterback's future on Tuesday. First, Payton was asked if he could offer any insight on what might happen with Brees.

"Not right now," Payton said, via the Saints official website. "So no."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sean ... he-saints/

It's a relative long shot but you never know.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think this team needs an Aaron Donald type of player to get a push-up the middle and prevent quarterbacks from stepping up in the pocket. I would also be okay with them drafting a cornerback high to compete for the nickel spot with Alexander. Offensively they need to keep beefing up this o line with smart, durable players. I would move on from every quarterback on the roster other than Sloter and sign Eli Manning or Kirk Cousins and draft one.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Gemfow
Rookie

Post by Gemfow »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Well that was a terrible way to end the year. Either way, I love this team and what we have going on here. This isnt like 2009 where it was "win it all or bust".

Overall on offense:

QB: This is our biggest question mark going into next season. I personally want Case back. He's the heathiest and fairly young still. I cannot trust Teddy. I dont know how anyone can. I'm up for keeping him on the cheap but as a starter, I dont trust it. Bradford is the superior QB but obviously his knee is a concern. I would like to see us draft someone but not overly early

RB: We will be loaded here going into next year getting Cook back. Murray is an excellent backup option that can contribute. McKinnon is set to be a FA. I'd love to have him back but it will be a tough sell when we have both Cook and Murray under contract.

Cook provides us with a bright future and I'm not a fan of minus yard Murray.

FB: I like what Ham did this year. He's a pretty versatile FB

WR: Should be stacked again here with AT and Diggs. Treadwell is still a mystery and might always be with those two guys in front of him. I like what Wright did this year. Wouldnt mind seeing Coley as our #5 and letting Floyd walk. Never been a fan of his.

TE: I love Rudy but we need to address this position at some point within the next year or two. Rudy went from being called injury prone non-stop to being fairly healthy the past few years. I think we need an athletic guy. We have our blocker in Morgan. We need a big, athletic pass catcher IMO

LT: I thought Reiff did an excellent job this year. The fact that we paid him only $3 mill more than Kalil and he performed the way he did makes me smile from ear to ear. Could always use depth here but overall, that spot is set.

LG: I've been very up and down on Easton. He does some really good things and some really bad things. I wouldnt mind keeping him but bringing in some competition at this spot.

C: Elflein is a legitimate stud and an excellent pick by Spielman. Many fans said they dont trust Spielman to draft OL and he proved many wrong with this pick. He should be our C for the next 10+ years.

RG: Looks like Berger is retiring. There are a couple versatile OL in this draft that can play both center and guard. One being from Ohio St. Billy Price. He can go anywhere form the first to third round. He would fit nicely next to Elflein given they were teammates in college. Either way, OG needs to be picked within the first few rounds.

RT: I'm actually a fan of Remmers. I thought he did an excellent job at RT all year. Not a big fan of him being at guard. I thought we should have put Sirles in at LG and kept Remmers at RT during the playoffs. I think Hill is good depth but not a starter. Could always use more depth at tackle.

Overall on defense:

DE1: Hopefully Griffen gets his foot issue resolved because he did tail off towards the end of the year. I wouldnt mind finding a mid round pass rusher. B-Rob has drastically lost a step. We could use some depth here.

DE2: I thought Hunter wouldve had a better year than he did. However, he still put up 7 sacks +1 in the playoffs. Somewhat of a slump but I'm not concerned about him

NT: Linval is a stud. Not worried here.

3 tech DT: Along with OG, this is my number 1 priority. Tom Johnson is getting way up there and shouldnt be anything other than depth. Stephen had a decent year but also is more of a depth piece than anything. Wouldnt mind seeing what we have in Jaleel. Patterson works wonders with DL. Still think we need to draft one early.

MLB: Kendricks is the most underrated player on this team IMO. I like him more than I do Barr and I love Barr

SLB: Barr is another key piece to this defense. No worries here.

WLB: For as little as a 3rd LB plays in this defense, I'm fine with Gedeon.

CB: Here is another spot thats a little concerning for me. Reason being, I'm guessing Newman is done and he definitely struggled this year. I do like Alexander and I thought Waynes had a great year. But we need some depth here for sure. Plus CBs take a while to adjust in this defense so we need to get one now before it's too late.

SS: Sendejo surprised me this year. I thought he played great all year. I also love our depth here. I think Harris did well

FS: Harry is a stud. No worries

K: Forbath worries me. Definitely need to bring in some competition

P: Quigley was excellent this year.

PR: Sherels is a solid returner

KR: We need to find someone here. We had next to nothing when it came to kick returns this year.

Overall, I'm not worried about this team. Getting Cook back next year is a giant plus. We get the majority of this team back and we have another FA and draft to shore up some weak spots. This is still a very good team and will continue to be a very good team. Zim has been around the game a long time. He wont let a team with this talent fizzle out into nothing. It's been a fun year guys!! Let's come back stronger next year. SKOL
I find it interesting how people like to chastise Teddy when he was a young QB still learning while a terrible line and antiquated offense that wasn't suited for him. Case did a good job but I saw too many times he misread something and essentially left big plays or points on the field. It was frustrating for me to watch that but he did a lot of good things this season but I wouldn't go that route again. Shurmur is gone and I believe he will revert to the player he was the five seasons prior.

Personally, I'd rather them take the chance on Teddy at a lower price than invest big money in a backup who had one good season. Maybe the Vikes can get Jimmy Garapolo but there is no way SF lets him go.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

What bothers me is that I look over the roster and see an extremely talented group of players, yet it still wasn't enough to take us to the Superbowl.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote:This may change as my head isn't right but this is my thinking right now:

- Get Drew Brees. Offer him $30 million, tell him he can chose his OC, whatever it takes.
- Grab a QB in the 1st round (not Rosen or Sam Darnold). Josh Allen maybe. Someone who can take a year or two to learn under Brees. Sloter as your 3rd.
- 2nd and 3rd round grab a G and TE, depending on how the board shakes out. Backfill with other lineman later in the draft or FA
- Resign Jet
- FA/Draft to address other needs (nickel CB, WR, DT, K, DE)
- Extend Diggs and Kendricks. Hunter is a cap casualty but will still be here for one more year. Barr dependent upon 2018 performance.
Signing Brees reminds me of getting Favre at this point. You're going all-in on a guy and hoping he doesn't fall off a cliff in terms of performance. Favre gave the Vikes one good year. How many more does Brees have in the tank?

Not sure on getting a QB high in the draft. I could see them take one in the 4th-5th, but where they will be choosing in the first 3 rounds I don't see a guy who is likely to be worth it, especially given some of the other needs on the team.

QB is a tough spot for this team. If Bradford's knees check out I'd bring him back on a reasonable deal. I'd let Bridgewater go and see if Keenum is interested in taking backup money. If not, go to the well in FA to get another vet option as a backup and keep bringing Sloter along.
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

McKinnon is as good as gone. He said so yesterday.

He sees himself as a feature back, and he's looking for somebody to give him that opportunity. No matter what, I guarantee you he won't accept being the third RB behind Cook and Murray.
Who's going to be under centre for the wildcat?! Seriously i'm ok with this too - wish McKinnon all the best if someone else will make him their featured back. We can probably draft a very good no.3 RB in the mould of Tarik Cohen or someone (may well do KR too) in what the 4th or 5th round to give us a different option.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I guess this belongs here. Souhan points out that this was not only THE year since the SB was in MN, but also because the stars were aligned with key injuries (Rogers, Wentz, SEA D) and suspensions (Elliot). He repeats a lot of what fans have called for here: draft a G to replace Berger, franchise Case, sign Teddy to back him up, let Bradford walk, ...

But then he drops this zinger at the end:
They need to self-scout themselves all winter. Zimmer has built a team strong enough to win a flawed division and weak enough to get exposed in the playoffs. He projected arrogance this year as his team surged. He will need to embrace humility to fix this team’s flaws.

Zimmer projected arrogance? When? My guess is that Souhan is simply the exact kind of reporter that Zimmer would like to punch out.

http://www.startribune.com/something-ha ... 470616713/
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

- The biggest issue this offseason will be QB: It will dictate the entire offseason direction

- I think offensive line is still a priority (or it should be).

- 3-tech is a priority. I would love a dominate player here.

- Still not sure I like our linebacking depth. I wouldn't mind upgrading the Will backer to give us more flexibility on defense.

- Cornerback is a necessity. Still not a Tre Waynes guy. Mack really hasn't looked like he will come on and play well.

- Safety depth could be addressed.

- Other than that I see three retirements (Robison, Berger, Newman). I see some potential cap causalities (Floyd, Murray). We will extend some players like Barr and Diggs (maybe Kendricks).

I anticipate a busy offseason. Hopefully it is not like 2010 where we did little to improve the team.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Did Robison say if he would retire? I feel bad for him. He's put so much into this team and they all blew it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

Outperformed, and it was because of solid cores on both sides of the ball. What does 2018 look like from here? Opening lines are out for '18 over/under team wins, and the Vikes are tied-5th, 9.5 wins but a stronger upside than other 9.5-ers. What we know now, is that we'll still have a great defense in 2018. Wright, Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph, Dalvin, Jerick and Latavius on the other side, and we should have at least 5 of them back in 2018.

Both sides of the ball, a very good core. You can plug any QB in there, and we'll get 9.5 wins. $62 million to spread around this year, so it looks likely that we'll head into August with 2 high quality QBs and Sloter still in our pocket. But because of the good core of talent, the QB mystery is not so important. The crucial thing for next season, is to improve the O-Line as much as possible. First two draft picks, they must be offensive linemen.

I can't think of three RB's i'd rather go into a new season with, today in the salary-cap era, than McKinnon, Murray and Cook. The right ages, the right assortment of skills, there's no play that can't be run by at least 2 of those 3 guys. Cook is staying, so if we keep 1 of the M's then we can pick up a complementary RB in FA. But to turn them loose, we need top blockers. We need the most contested positions in camp to be for the OL.

Seen some amazing catches by our WRs and TEs this season, maybe add a 6'3" 216-pound WR to make the pickplays work or stay close to pick up a corner blitz. And probably should add a young paduwan TE to learn everything Kyle does. Other than that, our skill positions are good. But nobody can catch anything from a sacked QB, so the offensive line should be the best that capspace can buy.

The D-Line is good, but could use more pressure when only 4 are sent. Our 3rd draft pick should be a defensive end with a big wingspan and active feet. Make that freshman take dancing classes between the draft and camp. Will need a freshman CB too, and if Terrence Newman retires, then immediately offer him a coaching job. Usually in the NFL, the hardest thing to do is assemble a defensive secondary which rocks. Past two seasons, we built one. Keep it, feed it.

Can't think of anything we might need in free agency other than a QB, as odd as that sounds in January. Just like the draft, our aims in FA should be linemen. Pack the camp with OLs and DLs, and let the best 20 win. It's the most important thing a franchise can do, to remain competitive year after year.

Win the trenches and make decent RBs look like stars, then trade them for good draft picks, to keep the quality up in all the other offensive skill positions. Drill through the opponent's OL wall, and you get more time to have your own offense on the field. Which increases the success of the offense. Which increases the value of the backs and catchers, it's a non-vicious cycle, and it all starts on the OL and DL.

It's what Belichick has been doing for years, managing the churn of personnel by making his current players look better, then trading them for draft picks, extra effective because he has the luxury of not worrying about QB1. The Broncos did this and ended up with a SB: invested in their OL and parlayed the trades and picks they got from seemingly invincible RBs (Davis, Love, Anderson, etc) into Vonn Miller, Dem Thomas, Em Sanders, and Peyton M.

So we've got picks in the late 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds, and in 5th and 6th rounds. Philly gets our 4th-rounder for Bradford, grrrr. 1st pick: we're looking at Conor Williams out of UT, Billy Price from The Ohio State, or Bruins O-tackle Kolton Miller. The leprechauns Nelson and McGlinchey will be gone by pick #30, but if Orlando Brown slips, we'd better take him. Same with Chukwuma Okorafor out of WMich. In the nightmare that 7 higher pickers take O-Linemen, we'll be left with a best-case of Brian O'Neill from Pitt.

The point is, we must draft O-Line first. And second round too. 3rd round, we need a youngster DE with long arms and happy feet. 5th round a CB, and we'll either need a TE this draft or in 2019, but i'd prefer to do that in 3rd round of '19 instead of 6th round in 2018. TE in any year's draft, you're going to find one the top three in the 3rd round, but the drop-off to sixth round is steep.

A better idea would be using our 6th-round pick this year on a darkhorse OL, small college with teachable talent which has not been fully teached in a small program. A hefty cornfed Kansan, they're always a lockerroom asset. Or a 6th-round pick on a beefy WR who might not run the 4.3 but can clear a LB off a lane, and is a load to bring down when he catches one.

What we do NOT need to do, is draft a QB. Brees wasn't drafted by New Orleans. Eli was not drafted by the Giants. Brady was a 6th rounder. The chances of a QB winning a playoff game for the team that drafts him in the 1st round is very small, but is a big hit to the salary cap. Today, in modern football, only a fool drafts a QB in the first round. Witness: Andrew Luck.

Good season guys, see you in April :gone:
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Spiny Norman wrote: What we do NOT need to do, is draft a QB. Brees wasn't drafted by New Orleans. Eli was not drafted by the Giants. Brady was a 6th rounder. The chances of a QB winning a playoff game for the team that drafts him in the 1st round is very small, but is a big hit to the salary cap. Today, in modern football, only a fool drafts a QB in the first round. Witness: Andrew Luck.
While I agree that we should not draft a QB (unless someone falls like Rodgers or Teddy did), I disagree with your use of Eli. While he wasn't technically drafted by the Giants, he essentially was. The Giants drafted Rivers and then traded the Chargers for Eli 10 minutes later. Eli didn't even put on the Chargers hat before he was traded.
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

akvikingsfan wrote:While I agree that we should not draft a QB (unless someone falls like Rodgers or Teddy did), I disagree with your use of Eli. While he wasn't technically drafted by the Giants, he essentially was. The Giants drafted Rivers and then traded the Chargers for Eli 10 minutes later. Eli didn't even put on the Chargers hat before he was traded.
Technicality, yet true. What i was getting at, is that there were 4 QBs drafted in the 1st & 2nd round in 2017, none of them won a playoff game. 4 QBs went in the first two rounds in 2016, none have won a playoff game so far. 2 quarterbacks drawn in the first 2 rounds in 2015, one of them is 1-1 in playoffs. 5 QBs in rounds 1 + 2 in 2014, and only one of them has won a playoff game.

2 QBs in 2013, no playoffs for either. 5 QBs in 2012, 2 won playoff games since then. 7 QBs in 2011, only 2 won a playoff game. 3 QBs in 2010, one went 1-1 in the playoffs, Tim Tebow. Where is he now, Saskatchewan?

The lesson is clear as a bell: never draft a QB in the first two rounds. Not even if you have 3 starters on your team and all three walk. :(
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

A few thoughts....
I read what McKinnon said yesterday...The bottom line is he just wants paid better money. So if we was to offer him fair money I think he could come back.
Murray I think he gets cut and resigned for lesser money or goes else where. So it's a toss if he will be back.

The QB situation...I think they will try and resign Case, but don't be surprised if they weigh their options with free agency.
Some will depend on who the new offensive coordinator wants.
Teddy is to much of a risk with Sloter as a backup. We know to little on how he would hold up under regular season play since almost losing his leg.

Others needs offense: TE, OG, OT and maybe draft a RB in lower rounds
Defense: Safety and cornerback, DT, DE and LB
Some of them wants could come in free agency.

Edit: Dont we now owe Philly a 3rd pick? Or was that void since Sam was injured?