2018 Offseason Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

2018 Offseason Thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Well that was a terrible way to end the year. Either way, I love this team and what we have going on here. This isnt like 2009 where it was "win it all or bust".

Overall on offense:

QB: This is our biggest question mark going into next season. I personally want Case back. He's the heathiest and fairly young still. I cannot trust Teddy. I dont know how anyone can. I'm up for keeping him on the cheap but as a starter, I dont trust it. Bradford is the superior QB but obviously his knee is a concern. I would like to see us draft someone but not overly early

RB: We will be loaded here going into next year getting Cook back. Murray is an excellent backup option that can contribute. McKinnon is set to be a FA. I'd love to have him back but it will be a tough sell when we have both Cook and Murray under contract.

FB: I like what Ham did this year. He's a pretty versatile FB

WR: Should be stacked again here with AT and Diggs. Treadwell is still a mystery and might always be with those two guys in front of him. I like what Wright did this year. Wouldnt mind seeing Coley as our #5 and letting Floyd walk. Never been a fan of his.

TE: I love Rudy but we need to address this position at some point within the next year or two. Rudy went from being called injury prone non-stop to being fairly healthy the past few years. I think we need an athletic guy. We have our blocker in Morgan. We need a big, athletic pass catcher IMO

LT: I thought Reiff did an excellent job this year. The fact that we paid him only $3 mill more than Kalil and he performed the way he did makes me smile from ear to ear. Could always use depth here but overall, that spot is set.

LG: I've been very up and down on Easton. He does some really good things and some really bad things. I wouldnt mind keeping him but bringing in some competition at this spot.

C: Elflein is a legitimate stud and an excellent pick by Spielman. Many fans said they dont trust Spielman to draft OL and he proved many wrong with this pick. He should be our C for the next 10+ years.

RG: Looks like Berger is retiring. There are a couple versatile OL in this draft that can play both center and guard. One being from Ohio St. Billy Price. He can go anywhere form the first to third round. He would fit nicely next to Elflein given they were teammates in college. Either way, OG needs to be picked within the first few rounds.

RT: I'm actually a fan of Remmers. I thought he did an excellent job at RT all year. Not a big fan of him being at guard. I thought we should have put Sirles in at LG and kept Remmers at RT during the playoffs. I think Hill is good depth but not a starter. Could always use more depth at tackle.

Overall on defense:

DE1: Hopefully Griffen gets his foot issue resolved because he did tail off towards the end of the year. I wouldnt mind finding a mid round pass rusher. B-Rob has drastically lost a step. We could use some depth here.

DE2: I thought Hunter wouldve had a better year than he did. However, he still put up 7 sacks +1 in the playoffs. Somewhat of a slump but I'm not concerned about him

NT: Linval is a stud. Not worried here.

3 tech DT: Along with OG, this is my number 1 priority. Tom Johnson is getting way up there and shouldnt be anything other than depth. Stephen had a decent year but also is more of a depth piece than anything. Wouldnt mind seeing what we have in Jaleel. Patterson works wonders with DL. Still think we need to draft one early.

MLB: Kendricks is the most underrated player on this team IMO. I like him more than I do Barr and I love Barr

SLB: Barr is another key piece to this defense. No worries here.

WLB: For as little as a 3rd LB plays in this defense, I'm fine with Gedeon.

CB: Here is another spot thats a little concerning for me. Reason being, I'm guessing Newman is done and he definitely struggled this year. I do like Alexander and I thought Waynes had a great year. But we need some depth here for sure. Plus CBs take a while to adjust in this defense so we need to get one now before it's too late.

SS: Sendejo surprised me this year. I thought he played great all year. I also love our depth here. I think Harris did well

FS: Harry is a stud. No worries

K: Forbath worries me. Definitely need to bring in some competition

P: Quigley was excellent this year.

PR: Sherels is a solid returner

KR: We need to find someone here. We had next to nothing when it came to kick returns this year.

Overall, I'm not worried about this team. Getting Cook back next year is a giant plus. We get the majority of this team back and we have another FA and draft to shore up some weak spots. This is still a very good team and will continue to be a very good team. Zim has been around the game a long time. He wont let a team with this talent fizzle out into nothing. It's been a fun year guys!! Let's come back stronger next year. SKOL
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Well that was a terrible way to end the year. Either way, I love this team and what we have going on here. This isnt like 2009 where it was "win it all or bust".

Overall on offense:

QB: This is our biggest question mark going into next season. I personally want Case back. He's the heathiest and fairly young still. I cannot trust Teddy. I dont know how anyone can. I'm up for keeping him on the cheap but as a starter, I dont trust it. Bradford is the superior QB but obviously his knee is a concern. I would like to see us draft someone but not overly early
I'd keep teddy/sloter/draft a QB at the end of the first/second round.
RB: We will be loaded here going into next year getting Cook back. Murray is an excellent backup option that can contribute. McKinnon is set to be a FA. I'd love to have him back but it will be a tough sell when we have both Cook and Murray under contract.
Murray will be cut or restructured. I would cut him. He's not very good. Wouldn't get into a bidding war over McKinnon either. I like him but if for some reason he picks up a good market, let him go.
FB: I like what Ham did this year. He's a pretty versatile FB
I like Ham/Morgan as good utility players. Both do dirty work and have enugh athleticism to provide something as skill position guys too.
WR: Should be stacked again here with AT and Diggs. Treadwell is still a mystery and might always be with those two guys in front of him. I like what Wright did this year. Wouldnt mind seeing Coley as our #5 and letting Floyd walk. Never been a fan of his.
Floyd is gone. Thielen/Diggs/Treadwell/Wright are basically locks, in part because of contracts. Room for 1 more.
TE: I love Rudy but we need to address this position at some point within the next year or two. Rudy went from being called injury prone non-stop to being fairly healthy the past few years. I think we need an athletic guy. We have our blocker in Morgan. We need a big, athletic pass catcher IMO
I'd let Rudolph walk. He's way over paid for what he brings. One dimensional player who isn't elite enough in that dimension to really be a mismatch.
LT: I thought Reiff did an excellent job this year. The fact that we paid him only $3 mill more than Kalil and he performed the way he did makes me smile from ear to ear. Could always use depth here but overall, that spot is set.

LG: I've been very up and down on Easton. He does some really good things and some really bad things. I wouldnt mind keeping him but bringing in some competition at this spot.

C: Elflein is a legitimate stud and an excellent pick by Spielman. Many fans said they dont trust Spielman to draft OL and he proved many wrong with this pick. He should be our C for the next 10+ years.

RG: Looks like Berger is retiring. There are a couple versatile OL in this draft that can play both center and guard. One being from Ohio St. Billy Price. He can go anywhere form the first to third round. He would fit nicely next to Elflein given they were teammates in college. Either way, OG needs to be picked within the first few rounds.

RT: I'm actually a fan of Remmers. I thought he did an excellent job at RT all year. Not a big fan of him being at guard. I thought we should have put Sirles in at LG and kept Remmers at RT during the playoffs. I think Hill is good depth but not a starter. Could always use more depth at tackle.
We need 2 guards. Remmers was terrible inside. They'll have to decide if they like Hill or Remmers better after next year. They won't be able to pay them both.

On the whole, this team is just too 'nice'. The meaner guy wins most fights, and the Vikings aren't mean enough. I'm not saying I want them to be that team, but they'll never win until they are that team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Don't look now, but this defense is starting to get a little long in the tooth.

Starters:

Griffen - will be 31 next year
TJ - will be 34 next year (and is UFA I think)
Joseph - will be 30 next year
Newman - will be 40 next year although you are right most likely he will retire. And technically he's not a starter though I included him since he played so many snaps
Sendejo - will be 31 next year
Smith - will be 29 next year
Heck even Rhodes is no longer a spring chicken - he will be 28
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: I'd keep teddy/sloter/draft a QB at the end of the first/second round.
Again thats a giant gamble

Murray will be cut or restructured. I would cut him. He's not very good. Wouldn't get into a bidding war over McKinnon either. I like him but if for some reason he picks up a good market, let him go.
You can never have enough RBs and if we just cut Murray and not get into a bidding war with McKinnon thats putting alot of eggs into Cook's basket. You keep either Murray or Mckinnon. If Murray wasnt any good, they wouldnt be one of the top RB duos in the league when it comes to all purpose yards.
I like Ham/Morgan as good utility players. Both do dirty work and have enugh athleticism to provide something as skill position guys too.
Agreed
Floyd is gone. Thielen/Diggs/Treadwell/Wright are basically locks, in part because of contracts. Room for 1 more.
Agreed here as well. Would like to see Coley
I'd let Rudolph walk. He's way over paid for what he brings. One dimensional player who isn't elite enough in that dimension to really be a mismatch.
Not a chance I cut Rudy. He had 9 total touchdowns this year. He's still a solid TE. We only have so many draft picks. We cant just go cutting guys that arent the perfect fit. Rudy is still a top 10 TE in the league. Cutting him would leave a giant hole that I'm not so sure we could immediately fill

We need 2 guards. Remmers was terrible inside. They'll have to decide if they like Hill or Remmers better after next year. They won't be able to pay them both.

On the whole, this team is just too 'nice'. The meaner guy wins most fights, and the Vikings aren't mean enough. I'm not saying I want them to be that team, but they'll never win until they are that team.
I would hope the answer is Remmers. I thought he was a pretty steady RT all year. Hill struggles vs. speed.

I dont know if your whole "mean" concept is the reason behind what happened. This group is a tough bunch. Their fighters. They'll be back before its all over with
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingPaul73 wrote:Don't look now, but this defense is starting to get a little long in the tooth.

Starters:

Griffen - will be 31 next year
TJ - will be 34 next year (and is UFA I think)
Joseph - will be 30 next year
Newman - will be 40 next year although you are right most likely he will retire. And technically he's not a starter though I included him since he played so many snaps
Sendejo - will be 31 next year
Smith - will be 29 next year
Heck even Rhodes is no longer a spring chicken - he will be 28
True but I still trust Zimmer will continue to bring in solid talent on defense. Mike Zimmer is never going to have a bad defense. That is for sure
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Overall, I think the KR TDs were way down this season due to the changes in the rules. Until the NFL does something about that I wouldn't worry about a return guy. Just my $0.02 on that one.

I think Treadwell is out the door unless the coaches see something we do not. Same on Floyd. Wright fits the team and will be inexpensive, expect him to stay as solid depth.

Agree on Guard. Will need Depth, but this unit looks night and day vs. last year.

DT 3 Technique is probably the biggest need on the team. A shame what happened to Floyd's knee. (Nerve damage complication from surgery.) Bad luck there, but that is the way things go.

QB is the obvious question mark, and it plays hand in hand with the OC hire. I seriously wish they'd retain Shurmer. He was awesome this year.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

We will be loaded here going into next year getting Cook back. Murray is an excellent backup option that can contribute. McKinnon is set to be a FA. I'd love to have him back but it will be a tough sell when we have both Cook and Murray under contract.
I'd be hoping to keep all 3 - RBs especially need depth as we saw this year. Per overthecap (if i'm reading it right) we have Murray on $5m, Cook on $1.6m and McKinnon currently on $0.7m. I'd expect to sign McKinnon for what $1m-$1.5m? You could maybe even shave that difference off Murray if you guarantee him a lot more over the next 2 years. Cook looked great but got a bad injury, the other two more than held their own the rest of the season - why mess with a solid unit to save $1m or so. Keep as is and one area we don't have to worry about in the off season.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JDLon wrote:
We will be loaded here going into next year getting Cook back. Murray is an excellent backup option that can contribute. McKinnon is set to be a FA. I'd love to have him back but it will be a tough sell when we have both Cook and Murray under contract.
I'd be hoping to keep all 3 - RBs especially need depth as we saw this year. Per overthecap (if i'm reading it right) we have Murray on $5m, Cook on $1.6m and McKinnon currently on $0.7m. I'd expect to sign McKinnon for what $1m-$1.5m? You could maybe even shave that difference off Murray if you guarantee him a lot more over the next 2 years. Cook looked great but got a bad injury, the other two more than held their own the rest of the season - why mess with a solid unit to save $1m or so. Keep as is and one area we don't have to worry about in the off season.
Agreed 100%
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This may change as my head isn't right but this is my thinking right now:

- Get Drew Brees. Offer him $30 million, tell him he can chose his OC, whatever it takes.
- Grab a QB in the 1st round (not Rosen or Sam Darnold). Josh Allen maybe. Someone who can take a year or two to learn under Brees. Sloter as your 3rd.
- 2nd and 3rd round grab a G and TE, depending on how the board shakes out. Backfill with other lineman later in the draft or FA
- Resign Jet
- FA/Draft to address other needs (nickel CB, WR, DT, K, DE)
- Extend Diggs and Kendricks. Hunter is a cap casualty but will still be here for one more year. Barr dependent upon 2018 performance.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I strongly doubt they'll get Brees to leave NO. Just my $0.02. My guess is they'll tag him if it comes to that.

Cousins is a possibility, but that's probably it in FA.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote: I'd keep teddy/sloter/draft a QB at the end of the first/second round.
Perhaps, but not as big a gamble as signing case keenum to multiyear starter money.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

mansquatch wrote:I strongly doubt they'll get Brees to leave NO. Just my $0.02. My guess is they'll tag him if it comes to that.

Cousins is a possibility, but that's probably it in FA.
I agree that Brees will very likely stay in NO (even though it'd be a beautiful pipe dream to have him in MN). I believe they have a clause in his last contract that doesn't allow them to tag him, but from everything I have read that wouldn't come in to play as there is mutual interest to keep it going.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Perhaps, but not as big a gamble as signing case keenum to multiyear starter money.
Are you assuming they can sign Bridgewater to either a cheap deal or a one year deal because giving him multi-year starter's money seems riskier.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
Are you assuming they can sign Bridgewater to either a cheap deal or a one year deal because giving him multi-year starter's money seems riskier.
yes, I am making that assumption
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:
Mothman wrote:
yes, I am making that assumption

Thanks. I figured as much but I didn't want to just assume.