Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:I simultaneously want and don't want each of our three. It's a paradox. I don't have confidence in any of them, just hope.

I don't trust Case without Pat, though.
I trust Case without Pat if they stay in house and keep a lot the same. What about Kevin Stefanski our QB coach?? He knows Shurmurs offense inside and out.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

All I know is, I want Case.

Bradford is too much of a question mark and throwing everything away for Teddy when we have no clue what he can do is a bad idea.

In Case I trust :smilevike:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

I have a feeling that Shumer is going to take one of our free agents with him to New York...for whatever that does to simplify the Vikings decisions.
suncoastvike
Practice Squad

Post by suncoastvike »

dead_poet wrote:
PacificNorseWest wrote:Franchise Keenum, sign Teddy.
Uf. I like where your head us but that's likely not financially possible.

How about sign Case toll Teddy and keep Sloter as insurance?
''A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and a great quarterback ~ and not necessarily in that order''
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

suncoastvike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
PacificNorseWest wrote:Franchise Keenum, sign Teddy.
Uf. I like where your head us but that's likely not financially possible.

How about sign Case toll Teddy and keep Sloter as insurance?
I think the tolling is out the window now.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What does tolling mean?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It took me quite a long time to trust Case. Part of that is because I really like Teddy, and I thought with the new OC, much better Oline, Teddy could be good. And that may be true yet, but we KNOW what Case is. And I think hes smart and talented to do that with a new OC.

Case isnt some rookie that hasnt seen NFL plays and defenses. He is smart, he is a leader, and he is a good man. He has great pocket awareness. Hes an accurate passer, and knows what his receivers can do, and where he can put the ball so they can catch it. Now I am not saying Case is perfect. When he throws the ball up for grabs it drives me nuts. But sometimes he still manages to put it close enough to the receiver so he has a chance to catch it. I think he may have even weaker arm strength then Teddy, but he can still give the receiver a chance to make a play. He does miss the occasional wide open receiver, but which QB doesn't? I dont like the floaters either, but it happens. And his INTs aernt all that bad if you take away the really stupid throws. His throw to Diggs was awesome, considering he had a mountain of a man directly in front of him.

I want Case to get a fair contract for the next 5 years, with incentives. I want to see him to be able to make more audibles, and able to take shots downfield. I still think the coaches are holding him back from that. I want Case to be our starter. If someone looks better in training camps, great. But the Vikings do NOT have a good record with choosing QBs lately. Actually for some time. Even Culpepper was made because of Moss and having a strong enough arm to hit him in stride. The Sam Bradford trade was just horrible imo. I almost cried when I saw one TV what it would cost us, after so many other teams thought he could finally have an injury free stay with them. Case has been tried and proved to be worthy. I want a QB thats here to stay. He doesnt have to be a Rogers or Brady, as long as Zimmer is around, we will be a great defensive team.

I dont want Sam on this team unless he is super super cheap. We fell for him once, at a huge cost, we cant do it again, no matter if he is a great QB when he isnt hurt, which is rare. Lets some other team gamble on him.

Teddy is the perfect backup for now. But he has to come at the right price. There may be a desperate team out there that needs a QB that will pay Teddy a lot more the we can. Thats a chance we have to take, not knowing what shape his knee and leg are. I would really miss him if he leaves.

I know nothing about Slotter. Nothing. If he is good enough, maybe we dont have to spend a 2nd-4th round pick on a QB (unless someone we really like falls in our lap). We can spend that on more Oline. Sirles and Hill are not cutting it. I prefer this over a DT.

If I was Rick, I would make it our Priority to re-sign Case. We lucked out with him as our backup, and as i said before, I dont like a lot of the Vikings QB picks over the past few decades.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
dead_poet wrote:I simultaneously want and don't want each of our three. It's a paradox. I don't have confidence in any of them, just hope.

I don't trust Case without Pat, though.
I trust Case without Pat if they stay in house and keep a lot the same. What about Kevin Stefanski our QB coach?? He knows Shurmurs offense inside and out.
That's where I am. Keep Case, probably with the franchise tag, and keep Stefanski.

Some reports have Kevin Stefanski as a front-runner for the job. I'd love to see it, assuming we lose Shurmur. Case speaks very highly of Stefanski.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What does tolling mean?

Because Teddy is in the final year of his rookie contract and he started the year on the PUP according to the CBA if h spends the first 6 weeks on the PUP the team can toll his contract, meaning the contract would be extended an additional year with the terms being the exact same as this year.

However, there is debate on weather or not his contract can actually be tolled. There is some belief that the tolling can only occur if he's on the PUP the whole season and then there's the belief that the tolling can occur as long as he was on the PUP through the first 6 games. I don't believe this issue has been resolved yet. If it has, could someone please link me?

Edit: I found where Ian Rapoport said on Twitter that if Teddy played the team wouldn't toll the contract, because they would do the right thing. But I haven't been able to find any source saying that anyone in the organization actually said that. What I've gathered is the tolling will be up to the team.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

resign Keenum
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Laserman wrote:resign Keenum
Even if they don't win tomorrow or in two weeks, I agree with this. Not only has he proven to be a good QB, but he's a true leader in the team and jn the community. Did you see when he led the SKOL chant when they were waiting for the extra point? It was one of the best moments I've ever seen.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Unless Rick gets incredibly lucky, i can only see one of the three staying, from a realistic perspective. All 3 want to be starters in this league, and none of them will stand by if they aren't paid starting QB money. That's just the reality of the situation.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Do we know that Teddy wants to start somewhere? Obviously he worked hard to get back on the team but he could actually be OK with 2nd string for another year while he continues to gain confidence in his leg.
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

I'm watching NFL countdown right now on ESPN, and Adam Schefter just reported that the Vikings are believed to be using the franchise tag on Keenum for next year.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

ThePiper wrote:I'm watching NFL countdown right now on ESPN, and Adam Schefter just reported that the Vikings are believed to be using the franchise tag on Keenum for next year.
Smart imo.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.