View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Next years QB 
Practice Squad

Post Next years QB
As much as I would probably marry Case if he asked, I'd love to see a healthy Bradford get an extended run behind this OL.

If neither of those guys then I'd like a move for Kirk Cousins but I'm not sure who else is available.

Does anyone have any views on who they'd like to see next year, any free agency pickups you fancy at QB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post Re: Next years QB
SkolScot wrote:
healthy Bradford
I don't know if there is such a thing.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 am
Profile YIM
Commissioner

I simultaneously want and don't want each of our three. It's a paradox. I don't have confidence in any of them, just hope.

I don't trust Case without Pat, though.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:48 am
Franchise Player

Is Alex Smith not a good fit here?

Haven't seen his name come up in any of these discussions lately, I feel he would be just as good if not better than Cousins.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

This will probably seem like sacrilege, but I think who the new OC ends up being will be just as important as the QB choice. I wish they would just give Shurmer a fat raise and keep him here. The shoe fits!

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 pm
Hall of Famer

Keep Case Keenum.

If he leaves, go after Drew Brees.... maybe Cousins or Alex Smith.

Release Sam and Teddy. :cry:

Find a solid backup.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 pm
Practice Squad

Grashopa wrote:
Is Alex Smith not a good fit here?

Haven't seen his name come up in any of these discussions lately, I feel he would be just as good if not better than Cousins.

I think Smith is a great idea and he still has critics to silence.

But if I read today that Keemun would be the starter for the next four years I would be fine with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:30 pm
Veteran

I'd offer Case average starting QB pay and if he takes it great if not then I'd move on. I don't think Bradford will ever be dependable and I don't trust Teddy's health either. If they Can't retain Case I'd go after Smith and Cousins. They also need to draft one in the first 3 rounds. I just hope they don't throw gobs of money at Case. He's a great guy and has been special this year for us but I could see that contract looking really bad without Shurmur. What about Eli Manning?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:50 pm
Veteran

Sloter is the next Aaron Rodgers.

Okay. Hyperbole, but it says something that the Vikes have kept Sloter on the 53-man roster despite having three other healthy quarterbacks. NFL teams often keep only two QBs active on the 53-man roster, so the Vikings keeping Sloter as a FOURTH ACTIVE QB seems to show a strong belief in his future.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm
Transition Player

This is why this run feels like ring or bust.

It is one thing to be shackled to Keenum for 4+ years if he manages a ring. It is another entirely if we don't win it all and go ahead and re-up with him. I hope Spielman realizes they bottled lightning this season, and to pay Keenum something like 16 million over four years would be a mistake. I am on the Shurmur side of this argument, meaning I believe Keenum is a result of Shurmur's ability as a coordinator, and not Keenum just coming into his own. It is much more likely he is Josh McCown with Adam Gase than Kurt Warner with anyone.

I was wondering what would've happened if Turner hadn't quit midseason last year. Zimmer had to promote from within, on the fly, and the rest has led to where we are now. There's a lot of what-ifs in this speculation, but all the same. It was widely reported what great friends Turner and Zimmer were. Would Zimmer had fired Turner after the season if things kept going the way they did? Let's say sure. Would then he have promoted Shurmur? Maybe not.

I did not want Bridgewater to supplant Keenum this season as he continued to win. I know there were a few people on this board that were certain that Bridgewater could do no worse, if not better than Keenum, if he got the chance to start. Oddly, I would use that same logic to let Keenum walk and retain Bridgewater for the next couple of years. We can pay him a good bit less, and see what he can do.

Would y'all really be surprised if Keenum returned to his former self post-Shurmur? Which is more likely, him being worth every bit of $16 million for the next four years, or us being shackled to mostly subpar performances, with the occasional Bucs game and the occasional Panthers game mixed in?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Quote:
It is one thing to be shackled to Keenum for 4+ years if he manages a ring. It is another entirely if we don't win it all and go ahead and re-up with him. I hope Spielman realizes they bottled lightning this season, and to pay Keenum something like 16 million over four years would be a mistake. I am on the Shurmur side of this argument, meaning I believe Keenum is a result of Shurmur's ability as a coordinator, and not Keenum just coming into his own. It is much more likely he is Josh McCown with Adam Gase than Kurt Warner with anyone.

Jon Gruden seemed pretty confident about Keenum. I believe he is coming into his own, I trust in Keenum SKOL!

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:26 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I usually do not comment on "next year topics," or "games down the line," especially since more important things are afoot, namely, the Eagles.

However, a Qb has been mentioned that I like, and I like him with his current team.

Regardless, whatever happens with the Vikes this year, and we all know how we want it to end, I would like Case to stay.

However, I'd love to have Alex Smith. Somehow, I think the Chief's coach has more to do with the last few years of season-ending failures, much more than any "1" player.

To have both Case and Alex, that would be great, but I don't know which would start and which would "accept" being a backup on a team that looks to have many more good years to come. I know "both" won't be here, but...

Case and Alex, yep, that's what I'd like, and if only Sam Bradford had a strong body to go with that arm and Qb skills...if only.

Next year, due to uncertainty in the health department, I'd be okay with letting Sam and Teddy both go.

Addendum: Vikings vs Chiefs is my second "dream" Super Bowl. The first is the Vikings vs Bills.
Addendum II: Umm, check that, my current "dream" Super Bowl is Vikings vs Jaguars; as much as I'd love to see NE get beat, I can't stomach the thought of them "ever" getting back to a SB.

...wisdom ?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:01 pm
Career Elite Player

Franchise Keenum, sign Teddy.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:24 pm
Commissioner

PacificNorseWest wrote:

Uf. I like where your head us but that's likely not financially possible.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:31 pm
All Pro Elite Player

The Vikings will be in an interesting situation this spring. There are currently no quarterbacks under contract for next year. I have a gut feeling that two of the three currently on the roster will be on the roster for next year. The question remains to be seen as to which two it will be though. Here's my thoughts:

Teddy:
I'm a huge Teddy fan. I wanted him to start as soon as he was active. That didn't happen, and rightfully so. Teddy is Zimmer's favorite, he speaks extremely highly of him. Teddy is unproven though. We barely knew what we had before his injury, and now post injury we have no idea what he will look like. The one game he came in for, he looked rusty (0 of 2, 1 INT). I further believe that he was inactive during our playoff game last week so other teams wouldn't be able to gage where he's at since the injury. I believe that Teddy will be willing to take a very team friendly deal, assuming his contract doesn't toll (I don't believe a solid answer ever came of that issue). No team will be willing to pay Teddy the huge money that starting QBs typically demand. I see Teddy being one of the two QBs kept no matter what (signing a 2 year deal somewhere in the range of $5 million/year with heavy incentives).

Sam:
Last season, Sam put up his best statistical year in almost every category. This year, he started off strong and looked posed to have even more impressive numbers. Then, Tuesday after the opening game came and Sam was gone the rest of the year. He attempted to come back for the Bears game and looked terrible. He was still clearly injured. Last week, Sam was the backup, as I mentioned above, I believe this was more to keep Teddy from being in a position to come into the game than coaches thinking Sam was the better option. Sam has a history of injuries, particularly with his knees. I believe I saw a stat somewhere that through his career Sam has only played about half the games. While I do believe Sam is likely the most talented QB on the roster, his injury history works against him. I believe that some team will sign Sam as a starter paying him somewhere in the $12-15 million/year range. I do not think that will be the Vikings though.

Case:
At the start of this season who would have thought that Case would start 14 games in the regular season, win 11 (12 if we use MLB rules for winning pitchers) and win our first playoff game since 2009? Case has not put up huge numbers, but he has played well for the role that this particular Vikings team needed, pick up some yards, don't make too many mistakes, and take shots when needed. I have actually grown to like the way Case plays, he reminds me a bit of a young Brett Favre. He takes chances, has decent accuracy, and the team around him supports him. Throughout the course of the year, I have seen Case develop. He has done more than just manage games, he's gone out and won some. Further, Case is only 29 years old, he could feasibly play for another 10+ years. Pending the rest of the playoffs, I believe some team will pay case $15-20 million/year. If Shurmur does leave the Vikings, as many expect him to, I could easily see Case following. However, I believe that Case truly does love playing in Minnesota and the environment here. I believe Case will sign with the Vikings with a 5 year contract, somewhere in the range of $15-18 million/year, with a lot of incentives.

Sloter:
The team must be extremely high on this kid. Didn't cut him to make room for Teddy, didn't cut him to make room for Sam, didn't cut him to make room for other position players. I have seen nothing of him, didn't watch him in college didn't watch his preseason games. He does have a three year contract (2 years remaining), so I strongly believe he will be sticking around as the development QB.

At the end of the off season, I believe our QB depth chart will look like this:

QB1: Case
QB2: Teddy
QB3: Sloter

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee

dead_poet wrote:
I simultaneously want and don't want each of our three. It's a paradox. I don't have confidence in any of them, just hope.

I trust Case without Pat if they stay in house and keep a lot the same. What about Kevin Stefanski our QB coach?? He knows Shurmurs offense inside and out.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

All I know is, I want Case.

Bradford is too much of a question mark and throwing everything away for Teddy when we have no clue what he can do is a bad idea.

In Case I trust :smilevike:

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:38 pm
Backup

I have a feeling that Shumer is going to take one of our free agents with him to New York...for whatever that does to simplify the Vikings decisions.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm
Practice Squad

dead_poet wrote:
PacificNorseWest wrote:

How about sign Case toll Teddy and keep Sloter as insurance?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 pm
Commissioner

suncoastvike wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
PacificNorseWest wrote:

How about sign Case toll Teddy and keep Sloter as insurance?

I think the tolling is out the window now.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

What does tolling mean?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

It took me quite a long time to trust Case. Part of that is because I really like Teddy, and I thought with the new OC, much better Oline, Teddy could be good. And that may be true yet, but we KNOW what Case is. And I think hes smart and talented to do that with a new OC.

Case isnt some rookie that hasnt seen NFL plays and defenses. He is smart, he is a leader, and he is a good man. He has great pocket awareness. Hes an accurate passer, and knows what his receivers can do, and where he can put the ball so they can catch it. Now I am not saying Case is perfect. When he throws the ball up for grabs it drives me nuts. But sometimes he still manages to put it close enough to the receiver so he has a chance to catch it. I think he may have even weaker arm strength then Teddy, but he can still give the receiver a chance to make a play. He does miss the occasional wide open receiver, but which QB doesn't? I dont like the floaters either, but it happens. And his INTs aernt all that bad if you take away the really stupid throws. His throw to Diggs was awesome, considering he had a mountain of a man directly in front of him.

I want Case to get a fair contract for the next 5 years, with incentives. I want to see him to be able to make more audibles, and able to take shots downfield. I still think the coaches are holding him back from that. I want Case to be our starter. If someone looks better in training camps, great. But the Vikings do NOT have a good record with choosing QBs lately. Actually for some time. Even Culpepper was made because of Moss and having a strong enough arm to hit him in stride. The Sam Bradford trade was just horrible imo. I almost cried when I saw one TV what it would cost us, after so many other teams thought he could finally have an injury free stay with them. Case has been tried and proved to be worthy. I want a QB thats here to stay. He doesnt have to be a Rogers or Brady, as long as Zimmer is around, we will be a great defensive team.

I dont want Sam on this team unless he is super super cheap. We fell for him once, at a huge cost, we cant do it again, no matter if he is a great QB when he isnt hurt, which is rare. Lets some other team gamble on him.

Teddy is the perfect backup for now. But he has to come at the right price. There may be a desperate team out there that needs a QB that will pay Teddy a lot more the we can. Thats a chance we have to take, not knowing what shape his knee and leg are. I would really miss him if he leaves.

I know nothing about Slotter. Nothing. If he is good enough, maybe we dont have to spend a 2nd-4th round pick on a QB (unless someone we really like falls in our lap). We can spend that on more Oline. Sirles and Hill are not cutting it. I prefer this over a DT.

If I was Rick, I would make it our Priority to re-sign Case. We lucked out with him as our backup, and as i said before, I dont like a lot of the Vikings QB picks over the past few decades.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 pm
Hall of Famer

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

I trust Case without Pat if they stay in house and keep a lot the same. What about Kevin Stefanski our QB coach?? He knows Shurmurs offense inside and out.

That's where I am. Keep Case, probably with the franchise tag, and keep Stefanski.

Some reports have Kevin Stefanski as a front-runner for the job. I'd love to see it, assuming we lose Shurmur. Case speaks very highly of Stefanski.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 am
All Pro Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:
What does tolling mean?

Because Teddy is in the final year of his rookie contract and he started the year on the PUP according to the CBA if h spends the first 6 weeks on the PUP the team can toll his contract, meaning the contract would be extended an additional year with the terms being the exact same as this year.

However, there is debate on weather or not his contract can actually be tolled. There is some belief that the tolling can only occur if he's on the PUP the whole season and then there's the belief that the tolling can occur as long as he was on the PUP through the first 6 games. I don't believe this issue has been resolved yet. If it has, could someone please link me?

Edit: I found where Ian Rapoport said on Twitter that if Teddy played the team wouldn't toll the contract, because they would do the right thing. But I haven't been able to find any source saying that anyone in the organization actually said that. What I've gathered is the tolling will be up to the team.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Famer

resign Keenum

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:27 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Laserman wrote:
resign Keenum
Even if they don't win tomorrow or in two weeks, I agree with this. Not only has he proven to be a good QB, but he's a true leader in the team and jn the community. Did you see when he led the SKOL chant when they were waiting for the extra point? It was one of the best moments I've ever seen.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Unless Rick gets incredibly lucky, i can only see one of the three staying, from a realistic perspective. All 3 want to be starters in this league, and none of them will stand by if they aren't paid starting QB money. That's just the reality of the situation.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Do we know that Teddy wants to start somewhere? Obviously he worked hard to get back on the team but he could actually be OK with 2nd string for another year while he continues to gain confidence in his leg.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:46 pm
Transition Player

I'm watching NFL countdown right now on ESPN, and Adam Schefter just reported that the Vikings are believed to be using the franchise tag on Keenum for next year.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:55 pm
Veteran

ThePiper wrote:
I'm watching NFL countdown right now on ESPN, and Adam Schefter just reported that the Vikings are believed to be using the franchise tag on Keenum for next year.

Smart imo.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 516 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next