Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

SkolScot
Practice Squad

Next years QB

Post by SkolScot »

As much as I would probably marry Case if he asked, I'd love to see a healthy Bradford get an extended run behind this OL.

If neither of those guys then I'd like a move for Kirk Cousins but I'm not sure who else is available.

Does anyone have any views on who they'd like to see next year, any free agency pickups you fancy at QB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Next years QB

Post by Thaumaturgist »

SkolScot wrote:healthy Bradford
I don't know if there is such a thing.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I simultaneously want and don't want each of our three. It's a paradox. I don't have confidence in any of them, just hope.

I don't trust Case without Pat, though.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Is Alex Smith not a good fit here?

Haven't seen his name come up in any of these discussions lately, I feel he would be just as good if not better than Cousins.
Formerly AADPFan
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This will probably seem like sacrilege, but I think who the new OC ends up being will be just as important as the QB choice. I wish they would just give Shurmer a fat raise and keep him here. The shoe fits!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Keep Case Keenum.

If he leaves, go after Drew Brees.... maybe Cousins or Alex Smith.

Release Sam and Teddy. :cry:

Find a solid backup.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

Grashopa wrote:Is Alex Smith not a good fit here?

Haven't seen his name come up in any of these discussions lately, I feel he would be just as good if not better than Cousins.
I think Smith is a great idea and he still has critics to silence.

But if I read today that Keemun would be the starter for the next four years I would be fine with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'd offer Case average starting QB pay and if he takes it great if not then I'd move on. I don't think Bradford will ever be dependable and I don't trust Teddy's health either. If they Can't retain Case I'd go after Smith and Cousins. They also need to draft one in the first 3 rounds. I just hope they don't throw gobs of money at Case. He's a great guy and has been special this year for us but I could see that contract looking really bad without Shurmur. What about Eli Manning?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Sloter is the next Aaron Rodgers.

Okay. Hyperbole, but it says something that the Vikes have kept Sloter on the 53-man roster despite having three other healthy quarterbacks. NFL teams often keep only two QBs active on the 53-man roster, so the Vikings keeping Sloter as a FOURTH ACTIVE QB seems to show a strong belief in his future.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

This is why this run feels like ring or bust.

It is one thing to be shackled to Keenum for 4+ years if he manages a ring. It is another entirely if we don't win it all and go ahead and re-up with him. I hope Spielman realizes they bottled lightning this season, and to pay Keenum something like 16 million over four years would be a mistake. I am on the Shurmur side of this argument, meaning I believe Keenum is a result of Shurmur's ability as a coordinator, and not Keenum just coming into his own. It is much more likely he is Josh McCown with Adam Gase than Kurt Warner with anyone.

I was wondering what would've happened if Turner hadn't quit midseason last year. Zimmer had to promote from within, on the fly, and the rest has led to where we are now. There's a lot of what-ifs in this speculation, but all the same. It was widely reported what great friends Turner and Zimmer were. Would Zimmer had fired Turner after the season if things kept going the way they did? Let's say sure. Would then he have promoted Shurmur? Maybe not.

I did not want Bridgewater to supplant Keenum this season as he continued to win. I know there were a few people on this board that were certain that Bridgewater could do no worse, if not better than Keenum, if he got the chance to start. Oddly, I would use that same logic to let Keenum walk and retain Bridgewater for the next couple of years. We can pay him a good bit less, and see what he can do.

Would y'all really be surprised if Keenum returned to his former self post-Shurmur? Which is more likely, him being worth every bit of $16 million for the next four years, or us being shackled to mostly subpar performances, with the occasional Bucs game and the occasional Panthers game mixed in?
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

It is one thing to be shackled to Keenum for 4+ years if he manages a ring. It is another entirely if we don't win it all and go ahead and re-up with him. I hope Spielman realizes they bottled lightning this season, and to pay Keenum something like 16 million over four years would be a mistake. I am on the Shurmur side of this argument, meaning I believe Keenum is a result of Shurmur's ability as a coordinator, and not Keenum just coming into his own. It is much more likely he is Josh McCown with Adam Gase than Kurt Warner with anyone.
Jon Gruden seemed pretty confident about Keenum. I believe he is coming into his own, I trust in Keenum SKOL!
From the Fjords of ValHalla
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

I usually do not comment on "next year topics," or "games down the line," especially since more important things are afoot, namely, the Eagles.

However, a Qb has been mentioned that I like, and I like him with his current team.

Regardless, whatever happens with the Vikes this year, and we all know how we want it to end, I would like Case to stay.

However, I'd love to have Alex Smith. Somehow, I think the Chief's coach has more to do with the last few years of season-ending failures, much more than any "1" player.

To have both Case and Alex, that would be great, but I don't know which would start and which would "accept" being a backup on a team that looks to have many more good years to come. I know "both" won't be here, but...

Case and Alex, yep, that's what I'd like, and if only Sam Bradford had a strong body to go with that arm and Qb skills...if only.

Next year, due to uncertainty in the health department, I'd be okay with letting Sam and Teddy both go.

Addendum: Vikings vs Chiefs is my second "dream" Super Bowl. The first is the Vikings vs Bills.
Addendum II: Umm, check that, my current "dream" Super Bowl is Vikings vs Jaguars; as much as I'd love to see NE get beat, I can't stomach the thought of them "ever" getting back to a SB.

...wisdom ?
...spirits in the wind and the trees
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Franchise Keenum, sign Teddy.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Franchise Keenum, sign Teddy.
Uf. I like where your head us but that's likely not financially possible.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

The Vikings will be in an interesting situation this spring. There are currently no quarterbacks under contract for next year. I have a gut feeling that two of the three currently on the roster will be on the roster for next year. The question remains to be seen as to which two it will be though. Here's my thoughts:

Teddy:
I'm a huge Teddy fan. I wanted him to start as soon as he was active. That didn't happen, and rightfully so. Teddy is Zimmer's favorite, he speaks extremely highly of him. Teddy is unproven though. We barely knew what we had before his injury, and now post injury we have no idea what he will look like. The one game he came in for, he looked rusty (0 of 2, 1 INT). I further believe that he was inactive during our playoff game last week so other teams wouldn't be able to gage where he's at since the injury. I believe that Teddy will be willing to take a very team friendly deal, assuming his contract doesn't toll (I don't believe a solid answer ever came of that issue). No team will be willing to pay Teddy the huge money that starting QBs typically demand. I see Teddy being one of the two QBs kept no matter what (signing a 2 year deal somewhere in the range of $5 million/year with heavy incentives).

Sam:
Last season, Sam put up his best statistical year in almost every category. This year, he started off strong and looked posed to have even more impressive numbers. Then, Tuesday after the opening game came and Sam was gone the rest of the year. He attempted to come back for the Bears game and looked terrible. He was still clearly injured. Last week, Sam was the backup, as I mentioned above, I believe this was more to keep Teddy from being in a position to come into the game than coaches thinking Sam was the better option. Sam has a history of injuries, particularly with his knees. I believe I saw a stat somewhere that through his career Sam has only played about half the games. While I do believe Sam is likely the most talented QB on the roster, his injury history works against him. I believe that some team will sign Sam as a starter paying him somewhere in the $12-15 million/year range. I do not think that will be the Vikings though.

Case:
At the start of this season who would have thought that Case would start 14 games in the regular season, win 11 (12 if we use MLB rules for winning pitchers) and win our first playoff game since 2009? Case has not put up huge numbers, but he has played well for the role that this particular Vikings team needed, pick up some yards, don't make too many mistakes, and take shots when needed. I have actually grown to like the way Case plays, he reminds me a bit of a young Brett Favre. He takes chances, has decent accuracy, and the team around him supports him. Throughout the course of the year, I have seen Case develop. He has done more than just manage games, he's gone out and won some. Further, Case is only 29 years old, he could feasibly play for another 10+ years. Pending the rest of the playoffs, I believe some team will pay case $15-20 million/year. If Shurmur does leave the Vikings, as many expect him to, I could easily see Case following. However, I believe that Case truly does love playing in Minnesota and the environment here. I believe Case will sign with the Vikings with a 5 year contract, somewhere in the range of $15-18 million/year, with a lot of incentives.

Sloter:
The team must be extremely high on this kid. Didn't cut him to make room for Teddy, didn't cut him to make room for Sam, didn't cut him to make room for other position players. I have seen nothing of him, didn't watch him in college didn't watch his preseason games. He does have a three year contract (2 years remaining), so I strongly believe he will be sticking around as the development QB.

At the end of the off season, I believe our QB depth chart will look like this:

QB1: Case
QB2: Teddy
QB3: Sloter