Post revenge thoughts on bountygate?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Post revenge thoughts on bountygate?

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Seriously guys, can we please not be so hostile when talking about Bounty Gate? It's over and it's well over 8 years ago. Focus on the *now*
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I think the refs "allowed" what happened to happen simply because it is what the NFL wanted......a feel good story for NO after the hurricane.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

autobon7 wrote:I think the refs "allowed" what happened to happen simply because it is what the NFL wanted......a feel good story for NO after the hurricane.
The saints got the benefit of dubious calls throughout that season.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CrunkDat
Practice Squad

Post by CrunkDat »

Rieux wrote:
CrunkDat wrote:We were actually penalized a ton more that game than the Vikes.
:roll: Yes, that's what generally happens when "your" game plan includes systematically violating the rules of the sport. The fact that the Saints, having committed vastly more fouls than the Vikings did, were penalized more is meaningless in light of the fact that the Saints should have been penalized much, much more than they actually were. Additionally, the penalty margin between the teams was not in fact "a ton": in the game that actually took place in January 2010, the Vikings were flagged 5 times for 32 yards vs. the Saints' 9 times for 88. Even in absolute terms, 9 called fouls for 88 yards is not "a ton" under any standard, much less was it in proper proportion to the historically disgusting level of contempt for the rules of the game, and indeed for basic human decency, that the Saints displayed in that game. The fact that New Orleans was not hit for hundreds of penalty yards, in light of the disgusting number of brutal personal fouls they committed, is an outrage.
Anyway, it's in the past and it's something more for the fans than the current players.
I would note that Sean Payton, Drew Brees, and Brian Robison were all on the field that day; as a consequence of the Saints' outrageous conduct, the first two acquired a championship they did not legitimately earn, while the third was denied an opportunity to play for a title that he and his teammates did earn. And I disagree with the notion that the experiences of several million fans of both franchises are irrelevant.

In a just world, the Super Bowl XLIV championship would have been vacated at the close of the Bountygate investigation. "You" don't deserve to be considered to have won that title. And you should be ashamed.
Dude, lol. Get over it. I came here wishing you guys luck and congratulations. I responded to this thread only to provide some insight that is either ignored or not provided to you. I think dismantling our coaching staff and team and draft was more than enough penalty for providing a snow cone to someone for sacking the QB.

I would venture to say that 90% of the games, both teams feel the calls went against them. Since you are hung up on a missed call or two, how about these and how they changed the outcome by being called or not called. I didn't come here to start anything but since you are irrational, I will leave this for you and I will disappear. In a just world that PI against Crawley is a no call or OPI. Your first drive, that 3rd and 1 spot was horrible and you got stuffed. Then think about how the outcome of the game is different from not calling an obvious offsides on our 3rd and 1 before our FG where we could've run the clock out.

Look, we lost. You won. Just like we won in 09. You can cry about that game and say it wasn't just, then please acknowledge these things. How they worked in your favor. I'm not crying over it. I'm a firm believer that big games like this should be decided on the field by the players. We had the game won and failed. I don't think the last offsides should've been called but it was definitely a foul. Any ref that calls a defensive hold on a 3rd and 18 because a DB grabs a yard further downfield is a moron.

Like I said, I wanted to just ignore you but I think you personally are a female dog and irrational, unlike others on this board that have some sense. Bad and missed calls go both ways. Just don't like one bit how you are trying to tell me to be ashamed of our Championship. I will disappear. Not here to troll and start crap. You poked the bear and called down the thunder.

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I actually agree with CrunkDat. Get over it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

there were NUMEROUS bad calls in that game
I posted a Video

Karma is a b*tch
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Just to be clear, that photo of the line of scrimmage means nothing. Almost every center in the NFL moves the ball forward the moment he touches it.

As for the Diggs photo, how do you know the defender didn't put his hand on Diggs first, and Diggs was simply trying to remove it?

I'm not commenting on whether either play should have been called one way or another. What I'm saying is that still photos in a game as fast as football mean nothing without context.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Rieux wrote:So I for one was delighted that the Saints, and especially Sean Payton, had their guts ripped out in Minneapolis on Sunday. It couldn't have happened to a dirtier and more deserving jerk. I hope he never sees the playoffs again.
THIS ^^^^ I agree 1000%

I hope that dirty punk Payton loses lots of sleep rethinking the last 2 minutes of that game.

We opened the season whipping their butts and we ended their season by breaking their spirit. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Geaux find your golf clubs, Saints.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CrunkDat wrote: Look, we lost. You won. Just like we won in 09. You can cry about that game and say it wasn't just, then please acknowledge these things. How they worked in your favor. I'm not crying over it. I'm a firm believer that big games like this should be decided on the field by the players. We had the game won and failed. I don't think the last offsides should've been called but it was definitely a foul. Any ref that calls a defensive hold on a 3rd and 18 because a DB grabs a yard further downfield is a moron.
I'll go further - this is a game where the final point differential is all that matters. The team that scores more wins every time, and in 2009, the Saints scored more. It never comes down to a single play, or a single facet of the game, or a single call by a ref. TDs scored off turnovers, big special teams plays, or just blind luck, count the same as those scored by 90-yard, 15-play drives that are perfectly executed.

If players are out to intentionally hurt other players, whether spurred on by coaches or simply vendettas, that shouldn't be allowed and the NFL should (and usually does) take action against that. But nobody can tell me the Saints didn't deserve to win in 2009 any more than they can tell me the Vikings didn't deserve to win this last weekend.

Anyway, best of luck to the Saints going forward. Your team has some really exciting young players and I've always been a big fan of Drew Brees. He is as classy as they come.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The penalties evened out for both teams. They missed some on both sides, and called the wrong ones on both sides. It was a lot more fair then when Payton paid off the refs in '09. And told his players to take out Favre. :) :)