Rhodes got burned

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Thor88
Practice Squad

Rhodes got burned

Post by Thor88 »

I haven't posted in forever on here, I'm really concerned that Rhodes seemingly got torched by Michael Thomas in the second half for 2 TDs doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it. just wondering if anyone knows or has seen anything on it like if his injury is still nagging, or if it was because the pass rush couldn't get to Brees in the second half, or just that he got rattled and emotional after sendejo was knocked out. I live in Florida so I don't get a ton of news about the Vikings other than nfl and Vikings. com
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Rhodes got burned

Post by TeamChaplain »

Thor88 wrote:I haven't posted in forever on here, I'm really concerned that Rhodes seemingly got torched by Michael Thomas in the second half for 2 TDs doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it. just wondering if anyone knows or has seen anything on it like if his injury is still nagging, or if it was because the pass rush couldn't get to Brees in the second half, or just that he got rattled and emotional after sendejo was knocked out. I live in Florida so I don't get a ton of news about the Vikings other than nfl and Vikings. com
I have been concerned about this too. He definitely seemed different in the second half. I haven't seen any news or commentary on "Open Rhodes" I'm not too concerned as we head into the Philly game, I think the biggest threat against Philly is going to be stopping the run. Their top 3 receiver threats look to be Jeffrey, Ahgolar and Ertz. I don't think Foles will be able to make too many passes due to hurries, hits and hopefully some bad a$$ sacks. I am more concerned about Sendejo and Harris. (Concussion/Knee, respectively)
From the Fjords of ValHalla
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

You have to give credit to Thomas as well he is a pretty good receiver. Those guys get paid to you know?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Thor88
Practice Squad

Post by Thor88 »

Maelstrom88 wrote:You have to give credit to Thomas as well he is a pretty good receiver. Those guys get paid to you know?
I know they get paid too. just when you're used to seeing Rhodes shut down the likes of brown, Julio Jones, Odell, and other elite receivers it just really worries me he gave up 2 TDs to Thomas. I had Thomas in fantasy this year he basically had his best game of the year against Rhodes hence my concern. hopefully Rhodes gets back to his old self this weekend!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Thor88 wrote:
Maelstrom88 wrote:You have to give credit to Thomas as well he is a pretty good receiver. Those guys get paid to you know?
I know they get paid too. just when you're used to seeing Rhodes shut down the likes of brown, Julio Jones, Odell, and other elite receivers it just really worries me he gave up 2 TDs to Thomas. I had Thomas in fantasy this year he basically had his best game of the year against Rhodes hence my concern. hopefully Rhodes gets back to his old self this weekend!
I do think you have a point though. Did we ever learn what Rhodes injury was? Groin??
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Maelstrom88 wrote:
Thor88 wrote:
I do think you have a point though. Did we ever learn what Rhodes injury was? Groin??
Nah. Lower body of some kind. He's been dealing with a lower body something for weeks. Rarely listed on weekly injury reports though.

Thomas is an excellent route runner (my favorite receiver out of that draft class). He's going to get his most games. Rhodes has historically fared better on Alshon.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Rhodes is tough as hell. Seems like he always gets banged up then comes right back out. I'm not sure we'll ever find out what's bothering him, but it's probably something.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I understand the concern, because we are not used to seeing ANYONE beat Rhodes, ever, much less twice.

Go back and watch the last Saints' drive though. Rhodes was in beast mode. He swatted one pass away and defended another with blanket protection. It was Mac Alexander that got torched (by a TE no less) on that 4th and 10. The fact that Rhodes played so well on that last drive makes me feel better about his potential injury issue.

I think Rhodes lost his composure against Thomas. He got out-Xaviered by him. Thomas was trying to get in his face and be very physical. Rhodes let it get in his head and it impeded him from playing his best ball.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Maybe against Philly he'll come back with a little "axe to grid" or a "chip on his shoulder" :whistle: :rock:
From the Fjords of ValHalla
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote:I understand the concern, because we are not used to seeing ANYONE beat Rhodes, ever, much less twice.

Go back and watch the last Saints' drive though. Rhodes was in beast mode. He swatted one pass away and defended another with blanket protection. It was Mac Alexander that got torched (by a TE no less) on that 4th and 10. The fact that Rhodes played so well on that last drive makes me feel better about his potential injury issue.

I think Rhodes lost his composure against Thomas. He got out-Xaviered by him. Thomas was trying to get in his face and be very physical. Rhodes let it get in his head and it impeded him from playing his best ball.
This.

Agree completely. Rhodes has been banged up, but he played well enough against Nola until he got upset about the Michael Thomas take-out of Andrew Sendejo. He kind of lost his way emotionally for awhile.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I'm not worried. He's played Jeffery many many times from him being in Chicago and he's handled him every time. No less, Jeffery has done very little since Foles has been in. Their WRs do not scare me whatsoever. Our DBs trump their WRs by a mile.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

Rhodes admitted after the game he lost his concentration and he cannot allow that to happen again.
peemypurplepants
Waterboy

Post by peemypurplepants »

tzinc wrote:Rhodes admitted after the game he lost his concentration and he cannot allow that to happen again.
Rhodes lost his edge after Sendejo got knocked out. That was a real turning point in the game. Rhodes was livid and his play was effected.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

I will say this about Rhodes: He cares about his teammates over the game itself. That's one of the greatest qualities in him, if you ask me. The game is secondary over the health and well-being of his team.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Go back and watch the last Saints' drive though. Rhodes was in beast mode. He swatted one pass away and defended another with blanket protection. It was Mac Alexander that got torched (by a TE no less) on that 4th and 10. The fact that Rhodes played so well on that last drive makes me feel better about his potential injury issue.
Speaking of that 4th-and-10, I am still shocked that was completed so easily. The Vikes had the Saints right where they wanted them and are normally very tough to convert on 3rd-and-7 or longer, so I thought the Saints were cooked on that play.

I expected them to send an extra man after Brees to ensure a throw short of the sticks and then all the defender in coverage would have to do is make the tackle and the game would be over. Instead, the Vikes seemingly sat back in coverage, rushed only 4, and as a result, Brees had plenty of time to let the deeper routes develop and the DBs seemed content with letting the deeper routes develop uncontested. I didn't see all the routes or defenders on the play, but every Saint receiver should have been manned up at the LOS and bumped as soon as possible after the snap. With an extra rusher and all routes disrupted/contested immediately after the snap, Brees and the Saints would have needed a miracle to get more than 5 yards on any throw. This game was a home game, very loud crowd noise at that point, and the defense should have the moxie to go out there and snuff that out and end the game. Amazing, and almost disturbing, passiveness there and it really should have cost them.