How much is Case Keenum worth?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.
Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:$22.5 million.

Finally someone agrees with me. Thanks Kap! It's only one year, well worth it to make Keenum prove his worth one more year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?
Not sure how much longer Brees has. Case is only 29. Huge difference. I wouldnt want Brees. Cousins I would entertain but we'd get in a bidding war with bottom feeders with endless cap space for him. Case is our best option right now. Easily
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

fiestavike wrote: Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?
Yes. Keenum could be a long term solution, Brees would not be.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not sure how much longer Brees has. Case is only 29. Huge difference. I wouldnt want Brees. Cousins I would entertain but we'd get in a bidding war with bottom feeders with endless cap space for him. Case is our best option right now. Easily
Where would you rank Case in terms of all starting QBs 1-32?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
Where would you rank Case in terms of all starting QBs 1-32?
I would say just outside the top 10. Maybe even sneak into the top 10. See there are some guys I would take him over that others might not. I would take Case over Newton and Winston. I'd even take him over some of these older QBs such as Manning, Brees, Rivers.

It's hard to say "yeah I would love to have Tom Brady over Case Keenum" right now because the guy is 40 and only has a few years left. Granted Brady is way better but Brady also isnt 29.

From a skill perspective, I would rank Case around 10-15. From a "who I want right now standpoint" I would rank him inside the top 10 for sure.

If that makes sense lol
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Yes.

First of all, Drew Brees isn't leaving New Orleans. Everything I've ever read about the man says he loves the city, his family loves the city, he loves his coach (God only knows why) and he has no desire to leave. He's made tons of money already, so a few million extra isn't going to sway him.

Second, even if he were available, he just turned 39. No way I give a 39-year-old a long-term deal. He's still a great player, but he's showing signs of his age. The Sendejo interception is a perfect example. He had plenty of time, set his feet, threw in a perfect environment, had a man open for 6, and underthrew him by 5 yards. If the Brett Favre debacle in 2010 didn't teach us about the infallibility of Father Time, then nothing will.

Finally, given a choice between Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins, I take Keenum every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cousins has never shown the capability to win a game at the end. Keenum just led the Vikings on TWO go-ahead scoring drives in 3 minutes. Keenum's leadership qualities far outweigh Cousins' meager advantage in physical skills. And I certainly wouldn't want to be the team that pays Kirk Cousins more than the $135 million Detroit is ponying up for Matthew Stafford. Because that's what Cousins is going to get.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: First of all, Drew Brees isn't leaving New Orleans. Everything I've ever read about the man says he loves the city, his family loves the city, he loves his coach (God only knows why) and he has no desire to leave. He's made tons of money already, so a few million extra isn't going to sway him.

Second, even if he were available, he just turned 39. No way I give a 39-year-old a long-term deal. He's still a great player, but he's showing signs of his age. The Sendejo interception is a perfect example. He had plenty of time, set his feet, threw in a perfect environment, had a man open for 6, and underthrew him by 5 yards. If the Brett Favre debacle in 2010 didn't teach us about the infallibility of Father Time, then nothing will.

Finally, given a choice between Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins, I take Keenum every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cousins has never shown the capability to win a game at the end. Keenum's leadership qualities far outweigh Cousins' meager advantage in physical skills. And I certainly wouldn't want to be the team that pays Kirk Cousins more than the $135 million Detroit is ponying up for Matthew Stafford. Because that's what Cousins is going to get.
Exactly. Well said Kapp. Brees is almost at the end and Cousins is going to get HOUNDED by a lot of teams. And many of these teams have so much room in cap. Case knows these guys, loves Minnesota, has a coach that loves him. If it's not broke.....
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Yes.

First of all, Drew Brees isn't leaving New Orleans. Everything I've ever read about the man says he loves the city, his family loves the city, he loves his coach (God only knows why) and he has no desire to leave. He's made tons of money already, so a few million extra isn't going to sway him.

Finally, given a choice between Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins, I take Keenum every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cousins has never shown the capability to win a game at the end. Keenum just led the Vikings on TWO go-ahead scoring drives in 3 minutes. Keenum's leadership qualities far outweigh Cousins' meager advantage in physical skills. And I certainly wouldn't want to be the team that pays Kirk Cousins more than the $135 million Detroit is ponying up for Matthew Stafford. Because that's what Cousins is going to get.
That may well be the case. I wasn't arguing that Brees will be available, just curious to understand at what point it might seem like overpaying for somewhere between mediocre and good QB performance.

I would assume that we would all agree Drew Brees is currently a much better QB and if we're discussing a short term commitment, would give the vikings the best chance to win between the two.

I don't have a problem with using the tag, but would be very uncomfortable as the GM giving multi-year starter money to Case. You probably have to squeeze out one significant reserve player to make the numbers work there, but that's not a big deal.

Is anyone sold enough on Case that they would be comfortable signing him to a multi-year extension for starter money after this season?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote:Is anyone sold enough on Case that they would be comfortable signing him to a multi-year extension for starter money after this season?
Fair question. My heart says yes, but my mind wants to see a little more.

He checked off one significant box this past Sunday: He won a playoff game. He didn't just manage a playoff win. He won a game. I keep saying this, but let's not forget ... he led the Vikings on not one, but TWO go-ahead scoring drives in the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter. That's significant in my book. He also got up off the mat following a very, very bad interception and played pretty well the rest of the game. What I love about Case is also the thing that scares me about him -- he's totally unafraid to fail. A bad play doesn't get him down.

But I wouldn't do a multi-year deal just yet. I want to see how he handles a ROAD playoff game, especially outdoors in the cold. This is where the rubber meets the road for me. If you recall, the whole Manning vs. Brady battle all those years usually came down to one thing -- Brady beat Manning like a drum when the weather sucked. Manning just wasn't the same guy when he wasn't indoors at Indy. We play in the NFC North. Two of our opponents play outdoors. A quarterback in the NFL, especially for the Vikings, needs to be able to play well in crappy weather.

If Case can go into Philly and play well and lead the Vikings to victory this coming Sunday, I'd be a lot more inclined to sign him long-term.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Excellent post. No less we get Dalvin back next year with an already good stable of RBs in place. We have the WRs already. Honestly, on offense, I'd like to look for a guard, maybe 2, a TE because Rudy is starting to get up there and a young QB
Exactly right. I'd spend picks 1 & 2 on OL, 3rd rounder on a fast lanky DE, 4th for a TE and #5-6 to find a replacement for (venerable) Terrence Newman. Several years ago realized that drafting a QB in early rounds is foolish. The Broncos a dozen years ago laid out the modern formula for winning a SB: start with OL. That made any RB they plugged in there look like a star, and they traded them all (Terrell, Love, CJ Anderson) for other important chess pieces. Trade a knight for a rook any day. And when they finally got a king, plugged Peyton in there and it's a ring.

We have a similar opportunity, but with QBs instead of RBs. Bradford could start out of the box for 8 teams, Bridgewater could be traded for a plethora (do joo e'en know what a plethora ees? :lol:) of picks and mid-career players. But the wise thing would be to keep Teddy until his contract (when does his deal run through?).

Keenum 6 years out of college is just right for a QB to hit their stride, if we trust Spielman to keep capturing quality pieces in free-agency then it'd be smart to sign him solid. I don't think we can be tossing around numbers, like 18 or 22.5, until the playoffs are done. Maybe this thread has a troll, and it's Case's agent?

And Watertown eh? Watching the weather, they all use purple as the color for snowfall predictions, from lilac to lavender to indigo, and a couple weeks ago Watertown had the most gorgeous splat of deep purple right on top of it, with the number "40+" right in the middle. Apparently you live in the Vikingest corner of NY. :wink:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I would say just outside the top 10. Maybe even sneak into the top 10. See there are some guys I would take him over that others might not. I would take Case over Newton and Winston. I'd even take him over some of these older QBs such as Manning, Brees, Rivers.

It's hard to say "yeah I would love to have Tom Brady over Case Keenum" right now because the guy is 40 and only has a few years left. Granted Brady is way better but Brady also isnt 29.

From a skill perspective, I would rank Case around 10-15. From a "who I want right now standpoint" I would rank him inside the top 10 for sure.

If that makes sense lol
Yes, I understand what you are saying.

There is a top echelon, and of course those guys are getting older...Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers(?)

Then there is a broader group who could become the next generation of elite QBs, Wilson, Stafford, Garopollo, Watson, Cousins, Carr, Newton, Ryan, Winston, etc.

Case Keenum will undoubtedly be revealed over time to be better than a good swath of this list. Its a list based in large part on potential. What I don't like about commiting to Case is that he just doesn't have a very high ceiling. I'd like any financial commitment to him to represent that fact (be short term or inexpensive). Is he good enough to win with? yes. Is he a great leader? yes. Can he move and create? yes. Will he ever be elite? no? Is he accurate? no. Does he have a strong arm? no. I kind of hate franchising him and making him 'prove it' because all he will be able to prove, best case, is what he has already established. He is an eternally flawed QB who does some things really well. Is that ever worth a longterm commitment. I think the Jeff Garcia comp is pretty decent. Case Keenum is only a franchise guy if he will accept a franchise friendly deal...otherwise he's a guy that every franchise is looking to upgrade on every year and he becomes a journeyman, which is basically what his level of play says that he is.

I really do think it would make sense for Case to accept a 5 year deal for 30 million, fully guaranteed with incentives if he starts. he won't get more than 30 million guaranteed anywhere else, and in all likelihood he'll just bounce around and have an inglorious career going forward. As a result, he'll lose more in endorsements than he would make in extra salary anyway. Sticking with this team on a sweetheart deal while the 5 year superbowl window is open would make him a Minnesota darling for the next 30-40 years anyway.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

How can you say Case isn't accurate?

He hit 67.5% of his passes. You don't do that with dumb luck. He makes tons of throws into some tight windows, and he consistently makes throws that only his receivers can catch. Do his receivers make great catches? Sure. That's true of any team with talented receivers. Is he as accurate as Brees or even Bradford? No. But it's not like he's Cam Newton throwing the ball all over the yard. And his ball placement improved immensely as the season wore on and he gained confidence and consistent first-team reps. He's also very accurate outside the pocket, which cannot be overstated in the current NFL, where ultra-athletic pass rushers like Cam Jordan are having their way in the league.

Finally, he ranked 2nd in the league according to PFF in lowest percentage of interceptable throws, which plays directly into the accuracy argument.

I agree with you on some of his limitations. He's relatively short, so he's always going to have to be creative in finding throwing lanes. And he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, so there are always going to be some Rodgers-like throws he simply can't make. But you know who else didn't have a cannon? Fran Tarkenton. Neither did Peyton Manning the last few years. They got by OK.

The bottom line isn't about arm strength or star power or anything else. The bottom line is winning. The guy is 12-3 as a starter with the Minnesota Vikings. He's beaten some of the best teams in the league, both at home and on the road. Offering the guy $30 million for 5 years would be an insult, and it would guarantee that he leaves Minnesota. Because he's going to get a lot more from someone else.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:How can you say Case isn't accurate?

He hit 67.5% of his passes. You don't do that with dumb luck. He makes tons of throws into some tight windows, and he consistently makes throws that only his receivers can catch. Do his receivers make great catches? Sure. That's true of any team with talented receivers. Is he as accurate as Brees or even Bradford? No. But it's not like he's Cam Newton throwing the ball all over the yard. And his ball placement improved immensely as the season wore on and he gained confidence and consistent first-team reps. He's also very accurate outside the pocket, which cannot be overstated in the current NFL, where ultra-athletic pass rushers like Cam Jordan are having their way in the league.

Finally, he ranked 2nd in the league according to PFF in lowest percentage of interceptable throws, which plays directly into the accuracy argument.

I agree with you on some of his limitations. He's relatively short, so he's always going to have to be creative in finding throwing lanes. And he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, so there are always going to be some Rodgers-like throws he simply can't make. But you know who else didn't have a cannon? Fran Tarkenton. Neither did Peyton Manning the last few years. They got by OK.

The bottom line isn't about arm strength or star power or anything else. The bottom line is winning. The guy is 12-3 as a starter with the Minnesota Vikings. He's beaten some of the best teams in the league, both at home and on the road. Offering the guy $30 million for 5 years would be an insult, and it would guarantee that he leaves Minnesota. Because he's going to get a lot more from someone else.
Agreed. We need to pay the guy. Period. BUT draft a QB so we have insurance.
-Chazz Palminteri