How much is Case Keenum worth?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

How much is Case Keenum worth?

Post by fiestavike »

Just curious what you all think it would be worth to retain Keenum.

I like the idea of offering him about 5-6 million a year for 4-6 years fully guaranteed. Roughly a 30 million dollar deal. Add in some incentives that boost the deal if he's starting. Sure, he could get more elsewhere, but probably only on a prove it deal with nothing guranteed after year 2. Its likely he would flounder wherever he went and not see that money anyways. This provides him with a solid chunk of guaranteed money, a chance for sustained success, and stability for his family. The vikings lock in at least a premier backup, and potentially a cheap starter. Alternately, I would give him up to 15 million on a one year commitment that allowed them to cut bait if he stinks it up.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?

Post by TeamChaplain »

It all depends on if he brings a Lombardi Trophy to the franchise.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

TeamChaplain wrote:It all depends on if he brings a Lombardi Trophy to the franchise.
scenario 1: vikings win Super bowl with Keenum.

What is he worth to you?

Scenario 2: Vikings lose in NFCG or Super Bowl.

What is he worth to you?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think you're dreaming at 5-6 mil. That's rookie QB money.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I was expecting triple what you are saying, 15k-18k /year. (not necessarily from the Vikings). i know it seems kind of knee-jerk, but NFL careers are short, as well as windows of opportunity for some teams. If we got him (or anyone) for less than 15k i would be satisfied and slightly surprised. But i really dont know much or pay much attention to salaries and such, just thought your numbers were low for a starting QB.
Formerly AADPFan
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Also wrapped up in this is who will be our new OC if Shurmur leaves? That has to play a part in which QB we like going forward.
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

I think we should franchise him for a year, regardless of wins & losses from here on. I think that would put his salary ~$25million for one year (average of the top 5 QB salaries, right?). Then we'd get to see what Case is like without Shurmur for a year without long term commitment.

If Shurmur stays, Keenum may be willing to stay for less than that. According to the media Shurmur is as good as gone, but I've got my fingers crossed anyway.

I'll be sick if we give him a long term deal and he fizzles into nothing. I'll also be sick if we let him go and he wins 3 super bowls with someone else.
Last edited by w_huisman on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote:I think you're dreaming at 5-6 mil. That's rookie QB money.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/
I'm not really dreaming, because I don't particularly care to retain him, I'm just saying what I think he is worth. I'd give him 15 on a short term commitment or give him a long commitment at 5-6 million per, fully guaranteed, and with incentives. I think he'd be a fool not to take it in all honesty, but otherwise, I'd let him walk. I'm also wondering what other people think he is worth.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: I'm not really dreaming, because I don't particularly care to retain him, I'm just saying what I think he is worth. I'd give him 15 on a short term commitment or give him a long commitment at 5-6 million per, fully guaranteed, and with incentives. I think he'd be a fool not to take it in all honesty, but otherwise, I'd let him walk. I'm also wondering what other people think he is worth.
Who would you want to keep then?? Keeping just Teddy and rolling with it is putting a lot of eggs into one basket. I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

If we just roll with Teddy and that's it I'll be pretty upset.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

Same. Just pay Case what it takes outside something crazy. I don't see Sam here next year and I don't want to depend on Teddy's health. We'll have at least a good defense next year and I believe Case should be able to QB us to the playoffs again. I'd go for 15-18 million. Not sure I'd want to go to franchising him, but I guess that is only a single year commitment
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Who would you want to keep then?? Keeping just Teddy and rolling with it is putting a lot of eggs into one basket. I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

I get that perspective, which is why I'm wondering how much you are willing to pay him and under what kind of structured deal. The franchise option is certainly viable, although it starts to make for a tight salary cap if you want to re-sign some of the young defenders. Case does some things very well, and other things not so well, and I'm curious what vikings fans would be willing to pay to keep him on the team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Crax wrote: Same. Just pay Case what it takes outside something crazy. I don't see Sam here next year and I don't want to depend on Teddy's health. We'll have at least a good defense next year and I believe Case should be able to QB us to the playoffs again. I'd go for 15-18 million. Not sure I'd want to go to franchising him, but I guess that is only a single year commitment
so if he demanded a 4 year deal 18/year with basically the 4th year as a team option (functionally 3 yr/54m) would you pay or let him walk?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

fiestavike wrote: so if he demanded a 4 year deal 18/year with basically the 4th year as a team option (functionally 3 yr/54m) would you pay or let him walk?
I have potentially two more games to decide this? :D . I'd lean towards paying that, but I guess it depends on how everything shakes out in the last two games and the potential new Offensive Coordinator. A lot may depend on what Offensive gameplan is going to be run next year. If we consider Shurmur as gone, then it's all up in the air.

If Shurmur is still here - Yes, I'd do the 4/18 with 4th year team.
Random O coordinator? - I really don't know
Last edited by Crax on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

Consistency. That's what Case Keenum gives you, stability and competence. We've had QBs with brilliance in short bursts, or ones with a certain situational advantage. Daunte was a mobile mountain making the short running game still an option with an empty backfield. Cunningham was a gazelle-legged startler with bones made of vinyl, not made of, well, out of bone. Bradford throws beautifully, better than Elway or Brady at the purely artistic pass. In fact, as that drive started with 30 seconds left on Sunday against the Saints, i turned to my bro and said "They should put Bradford in there now." Every QB has a specialty and what we needed then was long passes pretty as a picture, and that's Sam's thing. (Glad i was wrong!)

But when you have a 5-month slog, i'd prefer the constancy over the spectacular. Brad Johnson. Rich Gannon. Tarkenton and Kapp. You still get the occasional masterpiece game, but you get 10 other games where we just plain win. Don't matter if it's got warts, it still starts with "W".

Of the current bullpen, i'd go with Keenum, and not out of post-miracle drunkenness, but because of what he's done week after week since he got the starting slot. Teddy is spectacular in patches, his enthusiasm and character make him a natural leader, but the stability is not as assured. Cam Newton is a much better asset to his team once the coaches drummed the wildcat mentality out of him. Andrew Luck has Bradford's ability but Bridgewater's luck.

I don't get a say in what the team does, but hope they keep Case as #1 with a new contract, Teddy as #2 (when is his contract up?) and if we can't re-sign Sam as gold-standard insurance, hopefully we can get him back after some other team makes him their starter and his value falls after more missed games than starts.

What is Keenum worth? No way we can think in terms of numbers until we know how the playoffs turn out. But we can think about longer term franchise strategy right now, and Keenum brings competence and stability.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Spiny Norman wrote:Consistency. That's what Case Keenum gives you, stability and competence. We've had QBs with brilliance in short bursts, or ones with a certain situational advantage. Daunte was a mobile mountain making the short running game still an option with an empty backfield. Cunningham was a gazelle-legged startler with bones made of vinyl, not made of, well, out of bone. Bradford throws beautifully, better than Elway or Brady at the purely artistic pass. In fact, as that drive started with 30 seconds left on Sunday against the Saints, i turned to my bro and said "They should put Bradford in there now." Every QB has a specialty and what we needed then was long passes pretty as a picture, and that's Sam's thing. (Glad i was wrong!)

But when you have a 5-month slog, i'd prefer the constancy over the spectacular. Brad Johnson. Rich Gannon. Tarkenton and Kapp. You still get the occasional masterpiece game, but you get 10 other games where we just plain win. Don't matter if it's got warts, it still starts with "W".

Of the current bullpen, i'd go with Keenum, and not out of post-miracle drunkenness, but because of what he's done week after week since he got the starting slot. Teddy is spectacular in patches, his enthusiasm and character make him a natural leader, but the stability is not as assured. Cam Newton is a much better asset to his team once the coaches drummed the wildcat mentality out of him. Andrew Luck has Bradford's ability but Bridgewater's luck.

I don't get a say in what the team does, but hope they keep Case as #1 with a new contract, Teddy as #2 (when is his contract up?) and if we can't re-sign Sam as gold-standard insurance, hopefully we can get him back after some other team makes him their starter and his value falls after more missed games than starts.

What is Keenum worth? No way we can think in terms of numbers until we know how the playoffs turn out. But we can think about longer term franchise strategy right now, and Keenum brings competence and stability.
Excellent post. No less we get Dalvin back next year with an already good stable of RBs in place. We have the WRs already.

Honestly, on offense, I'd like to look for a guard, maybe 2, a TE because Rudy is starting to get up there and a young QB
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri