Vikes open as 3 point favorites in Philly.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikes open as 3 point favorites in Philly.

Post by halfgiz »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I'm not sure there are any OL in the league that can be effective against Cam Jordan 1 on 1 for an entire game. It was disappointing that they didn't give Hill help.

What is Hills natural position?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I think Hill is better suited for left tackle.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote: I think Hill is better suited for left tackle.
Or Guard.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Or Guard.

Nah. He's a tackle IMO.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Looking at Philly with a little more depth:

Offensively this team averaged 28.5 PPG, of course this was with Wentz healthy. Since Wentz went down:

vs. NYG 34 Points
Vs. OAK 19 Points
vs. DAL 0 Points
vs. ATL (playoffs) 15 points

Interesting tidbit: Last offensive touchdown was scored in the 1st QTR of the game vs. OAK.

Offensively, none of this is a surprise. My guess is if we can contain their Running Game and short passing they will be hard pressed to sustain drives, let alone score vs. our defense.

Defensively, they allowed 18.4 points per game. Pretty strong, especially with the offensive performance above. However, IMO this stat overstates their efficacy. They have 6 games against Anemic NFL Offenses: ARI, CHI, SF, 2 games vs. DAL (yes they are not that good), and a late season game vs. OAK after they had nothing to play for. If you take these games out the PPG is 25. This is against mostly average NFL offenses. To me this is a team that beats up the weaklings, but depends on the offence to beat more average opposition. Case in point, they gave up 24 points to Russell Wilson playing with basically nobody else on offense.

Now, to their credit, they just put a Falcons offense on a 10 point game in the playoffs. That offense is not middle of the road, but has struggled with scoring. They are not he juggernaut of 2016, but they still have significant star power. They are mostly let down by their QB.

I know it is a cliche, but to me this is a game where if the Vikings have zero turnovers they are very likely to emerge as the winner. The Philly offense is not very likely to suddenly move the ball and score on our defense. Keep in mind that the Saints required a turnover from Keenum and a blocked punt to come back against our D. Philly is not the Saints.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mansquatch wrote:Looking at Philly with a little more depth:

Offensively this team averaged 28.5 PPG, of course this was with Wentz healthy. Since Wentz went down:

vs. NYG 34 Points
Vs. OAK 19 Points
vs. DAL 0 Points
vs. ATL (playoffs) 15 points

Interesting tidbit: Last offensive touchdown was scored in the 1st QTR of the game vs. OAK.

Offensively, none of this is a surprise. My guess is if we can contain their Running Game and short passing they will be hard pressed to sustain drives, let alone score vs. our defense.

Defensively, they allowed 18.4 points per game. Pretty strong, especially with the offensive performance above. However, IMO this stat overstates their efficacy. They have 6 games against Anemic NFL Offenses: ARI, CHI, SF, 2 games vs. DAL (yes they are not that good), and a late season game vs. OAK after they had nothing to play for. If you take these games out the PPG is 25. This is against mostly average NFL offenses. To me this is a team that beats up the weaklings, but depends on the offence to beat more average opposition. Case in point, they gave up 24 points to Russell Wilson playing with basically nobody else on offense.

Now, to their credit, they just put a Falcons offense on a 10 point game in the playoffs. That offense is not middle of the road, but has struggled with scoring. They are not he juggernaut of 2016, but they still have significant star power. They are mostly let down by their QB.

I know it is a cliche, but to me this is a game where if the Vikings have zero turnovers they are very likely to emerge as the winner. The Philly offense is not very likely to suddenly move the ball and score on our defense. Keep in mind that the Saints required a turnover from Keenum and a blocked punt to come back against our D. Philly is not the Saints.
Great breakdown. Totally agree. Mistake free football as far as penalties, turnovers, and apparently blocked punts will win this game.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mansquatch wrote:Road game... high stakes.

This game will be against a better defensive front 7 than the Saints and better Defense overall. However, also a game against a worse, offense. Arguably much worse.

We should be favored. Our Defense is better than Philadelphia's so we should not struggle to contain their offense. This will be a game where it is up to the offense to not be careless with the football.

My hope is that as awesome as yesterday was, it serves as a wake up call that it is the playoffs and dumb mistakes almost cost them the chance to play in this game.
Yep. Teams you face I'm the playoffs are too good to have mistakes against.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Svt40
Rookie

Post by Svt40 »

I just hope our offense has learned to stop pumping the brakes once we get a lead. We need to be trying to score every single time we have the ball and not be content with just eating time off the clock.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Speaking of the Vegas line ...

The Vikings were 5.5 point favorites against the Saints.

I wonder how many people were pissed that Case took a knee for the final extra point!
My understanding from what I read last night was that by winning with the TD over winning with a FG cost Las Vegas $60 million. I need to find that article again.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Looking at there performances I think their defense is not as good as it might appear. In other words, we should be able to make some plays against them.

My view in general when it comes to NFL defenses is there are defenses that are elevated because of the offense/balance around them (Think Saints, Steelers, Atlanta, Rams, etc.) and there are defenses that are great on their own. IMO, Philly is good version of the first variety. MIN, JAX, and SEA are versions of the second variety.

FWIW, I'm curious to see if the JAX Front 7 can punish Brady and the Patriots in a way they really haven't seen this season. It will be very interesting to see how that game plays out. Sunday should make for another round of excellent playoff football.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I like our chances. At times Foles throws some really erratic balls and I think our defense can capitalize on that. With that said, it will be a tough road game in about as hostile of an environment as you can get.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I hope the coaches can bring the players back down to reality so they can be ready for next week.
Neversaynever
Waterboy

Post by Neversaynever »

mosscarter wrote:I like our chances. At times Foles throws some really erratic balls and I think our defense can capitalize on that. With that said, it will be a tough road game in about as hostile of an environment as you can get.
I definitely think they can win, but I'm very concerned about the effects of playing in the cold. We'd have a major advantage indoors imo, but I'm reminded of recent performances in Green Bay and Chicago. The elements can be somewhat of an equilizer because our offense isn t as effective.
Neversaynever
Waterboy

Post by Neversaynever »

As I see the pass rush seems to have slowed when there's no blitz, I've noticed I haven't seen Hunter lately. Is he injured long term?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Neversaynever wrote:As I see the pass rush seems to have slowed when there's no blitz, I've noticed I haven't seen Hunter lately. Is he injured long term?
Hasn't been on the injury report. Not sure what the deal is. We need him to get some more pressure
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Hasn't been on the injury report. Not sure what the deal is. We need him to get some more pressure
The DL outside of Linval has been invisible lately. It is very concerning.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018