What's your story?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: What's your story?

Post by PacificNorseWest »

He was born and raised in Minnesota. Joined the military, which is why I was born in CA and raised in WA.
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

watching TV in Canada in mid 70s the Vikings were on and I thought they looked really cool especially Tarkenton so I picked them.... they went to the SB vs OAK that year...
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Hey thanks everyone for sharing. I have really enjoyed reading all these great stories, keep em coming!
From the Fjords of ValHalla
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here's the rest of my story. Several guys here know it, since I've told it before.

In January of 1977, the Vikings played the Raiders in the Super Bowl. I was 16 and loved the Vikings with an absolute passion. My dad and older half brother both hated the Vikings as much as I loved them, and they delighted in busting my chops about them. They called Fran Tarkenton "The Little Fairy," which made me want to punch them both in the face. They also knew I was a hothead who had no ability to take teasing, so they poured it on every Sunday. I didn't live with my dad -- he and my mom were divorced when I was 5 -- so I only got to see him on Sundays. Football days. Which turned into fight days.

Going into this game, I was just SURE my Vikings would finally win The Big One. They were such a good team. Of course, they got blown out, 32-14. My dad and brother absolutely had a field day with me, and I was blind with rage. Finally, when it was all over, I screamed at my dad as I stomped off to my room, "I hate you. You're such an a$$hole. I wish you were dead."

It was the last thing I ever said to him. The next morning, we found him dead of a massive heart attack in the bathroom. Dead before he hit the floor.

The whole episode really f--ked me up. I loved my dad. Hated how he treated me on game days, but loved him beyond measure. I didn't kill my dad, but try telling that to the 16-year-old version of me.

As a result, I started having serious problems in school, experimenting with drugs, getting into fights, drinking a lot, acting out. Really took a bad turn. One night at a basketball game, I drank so much gin that they had to rush me to the hospital to have my stomach pumped. My stepfather didn't think much of my antics, and I got in a huge fistfight with him about a month before I graduated high school (still not sure how they actually let me graduate). I moved out the day after graduation. Ended up homeless about 6 months later, with warrants out for my arrest for writing bad checks. After a week on the streets of Des Moines, Iowa, in a very cold February of 1980, I finally made the only good decision I'd ever made to that point in my life -- I walked into the U.S. Navy recruiting station and enlisted. They got my legal issues straightened out, put me on a plane, and sent me off to boot camp. I weighed 134 pounds and had barely eaten in a month. Now I had a roof over my head and 3 squares a day. Boot camp was a breeze.

I eventually met the woman who would become my wife, and she wouldn't put up with any bullsh-t. As a result, I got my act together in a big way. It also helped that she was a Vikings fan. Today, we've been married nearly 37 years, have almost enough money to retire comfortably, have two boys, two daughters-in-law, and two granddaughters, with a third on the way in February. I got my college degree at age 37 and have had a good career. My wife is CFO of a large company. Life is good ... way better than I thought it would end up when I was hungry and freezing my butt off in February of 1980.

There's just one thing I need to make my life complete. Somewhere, I believe my dad is rooting for the Vikings to win this thing. So let's do this!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Skol, Kapp.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
The Limey
Waterboy

Post by The Limey »

What a powerful, inspiring and humbling story Kapp.

I’m currently on my morning commute in to London on the train and had to pretend I had something in my eye!

If I was Mike Zimmer and I’d read that yours would be the final voice my team heard before they leave that locker room this weekend - that would make any person dig that that little bit deeper when things get tough as they will at periods against NO.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Here's the rest of my story. Several guys here know it, since I've told it before.

In January of 1977, the Vikings played the Raiders in the Super Bowl. I was 16 and loved the Vikings with an absolute passion. My dad and older half brother both hated the Vikings as much as I loved them, and they delighted in busting my chops about them. They called Fran Tarkenton "The Little Fairy," which made me want to punch them both in the face. They also knew I was a hothead who had no ability to take teasing, so they poured it on every Sunday. I didn't live with my dad -- he and my mom were divorced when I was 5 -- so I only got to see him on Sundays. Football days. Which turned into fight days.

Going into this game, I was just SURE my Vikings would finally win The Big One. They were such a good team. Of course, they got blown out, 32-14. My dad and brother absolutely had a field day with me, and I was blind with rage. Finally, when it was all over, I screamed at my dad as I stomped off to my room, "I hate you. You're such an a$$hole. I wish you were dead."

It was the last thing I ever said to him. The next morning, we found him dead of a massive heart attack in the bathroom. Dead before he hit the floor.

The whole episode really f--ked me up. I loved my dad. Hated how he treated me on game days, but loved him beyond measure. I didn't kill my dad, but try telling that to the 16-year-old version of me.

As a result, I started having serious problems in school, experimenting with drugs, getting into fights, drinking a lot, acting out. Really took a bad turn. One night at a basketball game, I drank so much gin that they had to rush me to the hospital to have my stomach pumped. My stepfather didn't think much of my antics, and I got in a huge fistfight with him about a month before I graduated high school (still not sure how they actually let me graduate). I moved out the day after graduation. Ended up homeless about 6 months later, with warrants out for my arrest for writing bad checks. After a week on the streets of Des Moines, Iowa, in a very cold February of 1980, I finally made the only good decision I'd ever made to that point in my life -- I walked into the U.S. Navy recruiting station and enlisted. They got my legal issues straightened out, put me on a plane, and sent me off to boot camp. I weighed 134 pounds and had barely eaten in a month. Now I had a roof over my head and 3 squares a day. Boot camp was a breeze.

I eventually met the woman who would become my wife, and she wouldn't put up with any bullsh-t. As a result, I got my act together in a big way. It also helped that she was a Vikings fan. Today, we've been married nearly 37 years, have almost enough money to retire comfortably, have two boys, two daughters-in-law, and two granddaughters, with a third on the way in February. I got my college degree at age 37 and have had a good career. My wife is CFO of a large company. Life is good ... way better than I thought it would end up when I was hungry and freezing my butt off in February of 1980.

There's just one thing I need to make my life complete. Somewhere, I believe my dad is rooting for the Vikings to win this thing. So let's do this!
Unreal story Kapp! Love ya brother!! Lets #BringItHome
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Here's the rest of my story. Several guys here know it, since I've told it before.

Hey Bro, thanks for sharing. That's a pretty powerful story, thank you for your service! Bring it home, #SKOL
From the Fjords of ValHalla
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm hoping this story will help you guys understand why I pull so hard for guys like Case Keenum and Adam Thielen.

I have a special affinity for guys who beat the odds. And honestly, it's what I love about this year's team. Most prognosticators didn't even have us making the playoffs. Many people believe we won't beat the Saints this weekend. If any team is going to break this curse, I hope it's this one.

SKOL!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Kapp, I've read that story before but still feel like I'm reading it for the first time. Here's hoping for you and everyone else who has waited far too long.
Neversaynever
Waterboy

Post by Neversaynever »

The first Vikings game I ever watched was when they beat the Rams in the '69 playoffs. Fans tore down the goal posts after that game and it reminded me of the same type of excitement we saw after Sunday's game even though they didn't storm the field this time. Good times are ahead!
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

I am from the UK, and unlike today when i first started following the game (99' season), it wasn't as readily available on the TV. We were lucky to get 1 game a week.
But in my first NFL season, the Vikings had a rather magical team (as i'm sure you all know), and the way they lost to Atlanta that year, almost endeared them to me even more. I am a Leeds United supporter in our version of "football", and we have been underdogs all my 35 years on this earth. And the way the Vikings got beat that year, felt almost Leeds-esque. I love an underdog.
I was lucky enough to have access to an American Air Force base, as one of my friends from school lived there. He was a Bears fan, but that helped build a healthy rivalry with him. This meant i had access to more games than most here in the UK.
What was just being a normal fan, has turned into an obsession. Winter months everything is based round the Vikings. Something my better half has adopted well, bless her. We have a Vikings themed 'Man cave', and my wardrobe is mostly vikings related.
Obviously, i didn't experience the superbowl defeats in the 70's, but we've had enough heartache over the last 18 years, that this Saints win and hopefully a SB appearance is incredibly emotional.
We are over to Minneapolis next season on our honeymoon road trip across the US, and it would be great to watch the superbowl champions.
For me, Sunday was our Superbowl. To deal that club a bit of justice after '09, was a fantastic feeling. A superbowl would be nice, but even if we go out on Sunday and lose to Philly, this has now been a successful season.
SKOL.
Spiny Norman
Practice Squad

Post by Spiny Norman »

Grew to the age of football-awareness in California, liked the Raiders as bad boys and the Rams as a class act, Dad's a Redskins fan, no idea why. But it's the basic story of adolescence and sports greatness. In those days the top franchises were the Vikings and the Steelers, one or both on TV every Sunday and peppering the decade with Superbowl berths. Moved to NY and gave the Bills a chance, but thank Odin i gave up on that pretty quick.

Why am i a Star Wars fan? Because it came out when i was 12. Perfect timing for fandom. I know more than a few Bears fans in their early 40s now. Why? The '85 Bears. I know some Packer fans in their late-20s, due to the Favre playoff years around 2000. And now i keep meeting Patriots fans around 20 years old, because they were 6-12 years old when Brady came out of nowhere.

Vikes went to the SB when i was 8 years old, then 9, then 11. Drew Pushed Nate when i was 10. In a way, those losses have kept me a Vikings fan all this time. Steelers are still my 2nd team, but the fact that Bradshaw-Franco-Greene-Jones-Lynn etc DID win it all somehow diminishes that luster, there just isn't the same intense hunger for success that i've had for the Vikes all this time.

Watched a buttload of sports TV this Monday, and it was just sickening. All that blather about Poor Drew and his heartbreak, with no mention of the Saints being shut out for FORTY THREE MINUTES. You know which Rodney Dangerfield quote to insert here. The Saints didn't let one slip away like some kind of tragedy, the Vikings merely reclaimed what they had already earned.

So keep it up, darling media jackaxes. Your dismissive attitude toward the Minnesota Vikings made me a fan decades ago, and that disrespect keeps me a fan each and every year. Even if we win more and bigger games in 2018, they will never stop belittling my team, so i will never stop bleeding purple.
The Limey
Waterboy

Post by The Limey »

UKno1VIKING wrote:I am from the UK, and unlike today when i first started following the game (99' season), it wasn't as readily available on the TV. We were lucky to get 1 game a week.
But in my first NFL season, the Vikings had a rather magical team (as i'm sure you all know), and the way they lost to Atlanta that year, almost endeared them to me even more. I am a Leeds United supporter in our version of "football", and we have been underdogs all my 35 years on this earth. And the way the Vikings got beat that year, felt almost Leeds-esque. I love an underdog.
I was lucky enough to have access to an American Air Force base, as one of my friends from school lived there. He was a Bears fan, but that helped build a healthy rivalry with him. This meant i had access to more games than most here in the UK.
What was just being a normal fan, has turned into an obsession. Winter months everything is based round the Vikings. Something my better half has adopted well, bless her. We have a Vikings themed 'Man cave', and my wardrobe is mostly vikings related.
Obviously, i didn't experience the superbowl defeats in the 70's, but we've had enough heartache over the last 18 years, that this Saints win and hopefully a SB appearance is incredibly emotional.
We are over to Minneapolis next season on our honeymoon road trip across the US, and it would be great to watch the superbowl champions.
For me, Sunday was our Superbowl. To deal that club a bit of justice after '09, was a fantastic feeling. A superbowl would be nice, but even if we go out on Sunday and lose to Philly, this has now been a successful season.
SKOL.
UKNo1Viking - I’m from Bradford living in Leeds.
Small world.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

The Limey wrote:
UKno1VIKING wrote:I am from the UK, and unlike today when i first started following the game (99' season), it wasn't as readily available on the TV. We were lucky to get 1 game a week.
SKOL.
UKNo1Viking - I’m from Bradford living in Leeds.
Small world.
Nice to meet a fellow Yorkshire Viking! SKOL