Saints are the better team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Falcons34
Practice Squad

Re: Saints are the better team

Post by Falcons34 »

VikingLord wrote: Because I'm on a Vikings fan board as a fan of the Vikings and I'm entitled to be a homer here. I didn't go to a Falcons fan board and say anything about Case Keenum. I didn't go to a Saints fan board and say anything about Case Keenum. I'm on a Vikings board.

I've been a fan of the Vikings since I can remember. I've watched them blow it in key situations time and time again. I've watched them as underdogs that stomped heavily favored opponents (thinking 1987) until crashing and burning short of the Superbowl to being the heavily favored team that loses to the underdog, often in incredibly improbable ways (1998 comes to mind). So I'm entitled to come on this board as a long suffering fan of this team and dream that this time is going to different, that this QB who basically was thrown on the NFL trash heap and plucked off it by Rick Spielman with a baseline $2 million one-year contract to be the team's 3rd string QB can accomplish what Vikings football royalty like Joe Kapp, Fran Tarkenton, Randal Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper and yes, Brett Favre, could not accomplish. Yeah, here I'm entitled to that dream, and I don't need, nor appreciate, fans from teams the Vikings aren't even playing to come on here and "lol" at it. In fact, nobody here needs that, wants that, or should have to put up with that.

Come back if the Vikings and Falcons make it out of the divisional round.
I was not making fun of your dream because I do feel bad for Vikings fans but.....
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Falcons34 wrote: I was not making fun of your dream because I do feel bad for Vikings fans but.....
You feel bad for Vikings fans?

Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Falcons have won. Thought so.

We've won 20 division championships, been to 9 NFCCGs and 4 Super Bowls. Don't cry for us.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Breesus wrote:
Wish I could make it up there to your fine city. Good luck and have fun, and try to be hospitable to the handful of Saints fans you encounter. I promise if you ever make it down to the Superdome, you'll be welcomed and shown a good time. The only battles should be on the field.
Not to be a ####, I have nothing against anyone. But that city is a ####. In every facet. Been there twice, not pleasure, trust me. I had to, its filthy, the people are rude and its gang ridden beyond acceptable levels. And there are a few people on this board that made the trip there in 09 and had bad experiences with drunks and others inside/outside and at the hotels. So spare me the "we will welcome you" speech. Nola is the equivalent of mogadishu in a US version.
Breesus
Practice Squad

Post by Breesus »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Nice take.

Unfortunately for you, there's no way your team is putting up 28 against the Vikings at US Bank Stadium.

No team has scored more than the 19 your team put up against the Vikes in our building on opening night. And as we all know, you guys had just four field goals for 12 points until garbage time. Only four teams ALL SEASON scored as many as 20 against the Vikings, road or home. Only two teams, Washington and Carolina, put up 28 or more at any point this season. If you put up 28 against us at home, I'll be absolutely shocked. This defense is the best you'll face all year.

And you should be concerned with Murray. He rushed for 745 yards over his last 10 games, coming on strong the further he was removed from offseason ankle surgery. He's playing at a very high level right now, and the Vikings are actually a better rushing team statistically with Murray and McKinnon than they were with Dalvin Cook, who was leading the league in rushing when he went down.

This is not a "middling" offense. Statistically, it's not where yours is, but it's easily top-third. It was top-10 for most of the season, dipping a bit the last two games in games the Vikings took early leads and milked clock.

I believe we're the better team, and we're at home. I'm not saying we can't lose, but I'd put our chances to win at 70%.

You're right - tough to score on this D. IF the Saints put up more than 25 I think we win. Another point to consider is that the Vikes haven't beaten a decent team, other than Rams, Falcons, and Saints. Not too difficult to keep Trubisky, Hundley, Flacco, and Kizer under wraps. Cousins put up 30 pts on the Vikes. Same with the other side of the ball - Keenum's numbers are mostly against crap defenses. Still, the Vikes beat the Saints handily in Week 1. If you remember, the Saints had an identity crisis in the first few games - trying to get AP carries. Murray is a good back. Just noting that the Saints have done a decent job against good backs. I'm so glad we're not facing Dalvin Cook.
Breesus
Practice Squad

Post by Breesus »

Boon wrote: Not to be a ####, I have nothing against anyone. But that city is a ####. In every facet. Been there twice, not pleasure, trust me. I had to, its filthy, the people are rude and its gang ridden beyond acceptable levels. And there are a few people on this board that made the trip there in 09 and had bad experiences with drunks and others inside/outside and at the hotels. So spare me the "we will welcome you" speech. Nola is the equivalent of mogadishu in a US version.
OK, so we're getting ugly now? Mogadishu, huh? Maybe New Orleans isn't your style, or maybe you just don't know how to have a good time. Gazallions of tourists disagree with you. Enjoy your -30 deg tailgating too.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Breesus wrote: You're right - tough to score on this D. IF the Saints put up more than 25 I think we win. Another point to consider is that the Vikes haven't beaten a decent team, other than Rams, Falcons, and Saints. Not too difficult to keep Trubisky, Hundley, Flacco, and Kizer under wraps. Cousins put up 30 pts on the Vikes. Same with the other side of the ball - Keenum's numbers are mostly against crap defenses. Still, the Vikes beat the Saints handily in Week 1. If you remember, the Saints had an identity crisis in the first few games - trying to get AP carries. Murray is a good back. Just noting that the Saints have done a decent job against good backs. I'm so glad we're not facing Dalvin Cook.
I think that's a pretty level-headed take on the game, but I'll 'nit-pick' just a couple of items:

1) Everybody forgets that we played Rodgers (at least at the start) of one of the Packer games. It was a clean tackle by Barr that took Rodgers out of the game and his stat line before he went out wasn't overly impressive - 62.5 passer rating before we knocked him out. Granted, there wasn't a large sample of passes, but it's not our fault that our defense plays clean physical ball. So I always find that criticism of the defense someone suspect.

2) The "only decent teams" (excluding the Saints) were teams the Saints lost to, so what does that say, exactly?
I realize the Saints beat Carolina, but both those games were in NO and we had to travel to play the Panthers. Any way you cut it, We went 2-1 against the good teams that the Saints when 1-2 against.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Breesus
Practice Squad

Post by Breesus »

Just Me wrote: I think that's a pretty level-headed take on the game, but I'll 'nit-pick' just a couple of items:

1) Everybody forgets that we played Rodgers (at least at the start) of one of the Packer games. It was a clean tackle by Barr that took Rodgers out of the game and his stat line before he went out wasn't overly impressive - 62.5 passer rating before we knocked him out. Granted, there wasn't a large sample of passes, but it's not our fault that our defense plays clean physical ball. So I always find that criticism of the defense someone suspect.

2) The "only decent teams" (excluding the Saints) were teams the Saints lost to, so what does that say, exactly?
I realize the Saints beat Carolina, but both those games were in NO and we had to travel to play the Panthers. Any way you cut it, We went 2-1 against the good teams that the Saints when 1-2 against.

Good points. The hit on Rodgers was legal, yes, but certainly intentionally damaging. He was driven into the ground. Still, this is football.
Saints split with the Falcons, but beat Carolina 3 times, once in Carolina. Vikes also lost to the Lions, who the Saints beat. It's hard to use division games for comparisons as the teams know each other so well. Saints had the 15th hardest strength of schedule based on opponent records. Vikes had the 27th. It means nothing come Sunday.

No denying that the Vikings are an excellent team - I'd take that defense over everyone else. Vikes are favored and rightfully so.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Breesus wrote: Saints split with the Falcons, but beat Carolina 3 times, once in Carolina. Vikes also lost to the Lions, who the Saints beat. It's hard to use division games for comparisons as the teams know each other so well.
I agree. The Vikings lost (our only home loss) to Detroit but actually beat them when we went to Detroit (figure that one). In any case, Division games are always tough. We did sweep the Bears, but they never make it easy on us.
Breesus wrote: No denying that the Vikings are an excellent team - I'd take that defense over everyone else. Vikes are favored and rightfully so.
Which is why I am not convinced the Saints are the better team (a nod to the thread title). However, there is no doubting that Saints are an excellent team as well, and that is why I'm not 'predicting' a Vikings win, either. It's a curious mindset this year for me: I am not apprehensive about losing, but I'm not 100% convinced the Vikings will advance after Sunday. I think it promises to be a great matchup and whoever has the best game (this Sunday) will move on. I'm reasonably comfortable the Vikings will put together a good game.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Breesus
Practice Squad

Post by Breesus »

Just Me wrote: I agree. The Vikings lost (our only home loss) to Detroit but actually beat them when we went to Detroit (figure that one). In any case, Division games are always tough. We did sweep the Bears, but they never make it easy on us.
Which is why I am not convinced the Saints are the better team (a nod to the thread title). However, there is no doubting that Saints are an excellent team as well, and that is why I'm not 'predicting' a Vikings win, either. It's a curious mindset this year for me: I am not apprehensive about losing, but I'm not 100% convinced the Vikings will advance after Sunday. I think it promises to be a great matchup and whoever has the best game (this Sunday) will move on. I'm reasonably comfortable the Vikings will put together a good game.
Thoughtful comments. Enjoy the game!
SuburbannSaint
Waterboy

Post by SuburbannSaint »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Agreed 100%. I have nothing else to say in this thread[/quote

Who Dat Nation here. Cant believe some of you are still sour over a game 9 years ago. Oh they hit us to hard. They were getting paid to hit us hard. No one said anything about the 5 turnovers. Could have been 7. Grow the hell up and take some damn credit for own downfall. See ya Sunday...
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

Drew Brees has a 7-5 playoff record which really should be 6-6 because the refs defeated the Vikings in their last playoff game vs NO
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

SuburbannSaint wrote:
Who Dat Nation here. Cant believe some of you are still sour over a game 9 years ago. Oh they hit us to hard. They were getting paid to hit us hard. No one said anything about the 5 turnovers. Could have been 7. Grow the hell up and take some damn credit for own downfall. See ya Sunday...
From a purely rational point of view: I do not disagree with your sentiment, IMO AP did more to lose that game than anyone else. However, welcome to Vikings Land. This is probably one of the most cursed and long suffering fan bases in the entire NFL. Everyone says the Browns have it bad, but it is worse to have been so close and then to completely falter so many times. Believe me, we hold grudges. After we beat you guys we will move on to spending a week gnashing our teeth over our defeat by the Falcons in 1998.

That being said, thanks for coming on here and posting. This sort of stuff is part of what makes the NFL fun.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

SuburbannSaint wrote:Who Dat Nation here. Cant believe some of you are still sour over a game 9 years ago. Oh they hit us to hard. They were getting paid to hit us hard. No one said anything about the 5 turnovers. Could have been 7. Grow the hell up and take some damn credit for own downfall. See ya Sunday...
I don't care about the refs or hits or any of that. I have my opinion about it but it doesn't really factor in. They beat us in the playoffs so I want to see us beat them in particular. I also want the Falcons for that reason. I wasn't even alive when the Steelers beat them in the super bowl and I want to see them there so we can beat them too.
SuburbannSaint
Waterboy

Post by SuburbannSaint »

Cliff wrote: I don't care about the refs or hits or any of that. I have my opinion about it but it doesn't really factor in. They beat us in the playoffs so I want to see us beat them in particular. I also want the Falcons for that reason. I wasn't even alive when the Steelers beat them in the super bowl and I want to see them there so we can beat them too.
Not talking about all fans. I understand the love hate thing. Believe me, no one hates the falcons as much as us. We do have to be logical at some point but then again, fanatics get a pass for being crazy at times.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Breesus wrote:Good points. The hit on Rodgers was legal, yes, but certainly intentionally damaging. He was driven into the ground. Still, this is football.
Did a Saints fan just say that Barr intentionally hurt Rodgers? A Saints fan??? Really? The huge balls on this guy. Wow.

Dude, Rodgers hurt himself. It was a clean tackle and he didn't get "driven" into the turf. Barr fell onto him and Aaron's put his arm down to brace himself, which is what resulted in the break. It happens. There was no malice or intent to injure.

I hope your dirty coach doesn't send your guys out to hurt our QB again. And lets hope the zebras call a good game, too.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida