Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

Post by mansquatch »

Mothman wrote:
An average difference of 62 yards from scrimmage a game actually seems pretty substantial.
This isn't really a good comparison. The Saints rely much more on their backs in the passing game than the Vikings do. If one wants to round that out, add the two starting WR and TE numbers. My suspicion is the MN players will have superior stats as we have a better perimeter game and YAC game than the Saints with those positions. It is no secret that the biggest threat on the NO offense is Kamara.

IMO a more interesting topic is the Saints Defense vs. our Offense only because there are bigger question marks there. Are they going to be able to upset Keenum? Can they contain our power running game? Are they going to get us to give up the ball where so many other have not?

What about intangibles like playoff experience? I actually think this might be an issue for the Vikings. This is their second playoff game in the Zimmer era. Are some of these guys going to have jitters?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I haven't commented all year and haven't followed the season too closely but I have to drop in and ask...

Will the doors be open? The doors should be open!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote:I haven't commented all year and haven't followed the season too closely but I have to drop in and ask...

Will the doors be open? The doors should be open!
Doubtful
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

808vikingsfan wrote:Forgot how bad the officiating was in 2009.
:puke:
Formerly AADPFan
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: Doubtful
Agreed. Speaking of which, how cold is it in there with the doors closed this time of year? I've been to the stadium twice but both times it was in September.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mansquatch wrote: This isn't really a good comparison. The Saints rely much more on their backs in the passing game than the Vikings do. If one wants to round that out, add the two starting WR and TE numbers. My suspicion is the MN players will have superior stats as we have a better perimeter game and YAC game than the Saints with those positions. It is no secret that the biggest threat on the NO offense is Kamara.

IMO a more interesting topic is the Saints Defense vs. our Offense only because there are bigger question marks there. Are they going to be able to upset Keenum? Can they contain our power running game? Are they going to get us to give up the ball where so many other have not?

What about intangibles like playoff experience? I actually think this might be an issue for the Vikings. This is their second playoff game in the Zimmer era. Are some of these guys going to have jitters?
Yes they do. And relying on those backs in the passing game may be their down fall.

Two players make up most of their offense. Kamara and Ingrahm. Stop them and you stop the Saints. So the question becomes can we stop those two from running and limit them in the passing game? That's the real story.

Yards from scrimmage.

Code: Select all

Mark Ingram	   1540
Alvin Kamara	  1554
Michael Thomas	1245
Ted Ginn	       826
Brandon Coleman	364
Coby Fleener	   295
Vikings are more balanced on offense.

Yards from scrimmage.

Code: Select all

Adam Thielen	    1287
Jerick McKinnon	  991
Latavius Murray	  945
Stefon Diggs	     862
Kyle Rudolph	     532
Laquon Treadwell	 200
Jarius Wright	    198
BTW, the Saints haven't been to the playoffs since 2013. Vikings 2015. So they have what? One game more of playoff experience? Last week?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mosscarter wrote:They will murder us it won't even be close.
Yeah, we know. You created a whole thread about it. Boo freakin' hoo.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm glad Pete Morelli isn't the referee this game.

However, we're getting Gene "Index Card" Steratore, complete with all his theatrics and "I want some face time" antics.

If anything puts this game in jeopardy for the Vikings, it's this slightly unhinged zebra.

That said, we win by double digits.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Yeah, we know. You created a whole thread about it. Boo freakin' hoo.
The truly funny part of mosscarter's post is that, if he truly believes what he's saying, then the Saints can't possibly murder the Vikes on Sunday. For the loss to be appropriately devastating, the Saints will have to win by having an otherwise errant Drew Brees hail mary deflect off Andrew Sendejo before bouncing off the crossbar, then off the head of a ref before finally settling into the arms of Brees himself as he runs downfield and falls into the endzone while tripping on Harrison Smith, who is laying on the ground after being lasered by said Andrew Sendejo who missed the tackle on the ref.

An outright Saints murdering of the Vikings just wouldn't hold anywhere near true to form if that's what he's really afraid of.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I smell a troll among us.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I smell a troll among us.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The fact that the other thread has more replies than this one shows that we have fallen into his trap!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Before Wildcard weekend, the Rams were the media darlings of the NFC.

Now it's the Saints turn.

Been trying to overload on all the sports shows the past couple of days and I've come to the conclusion the Vikings are still under the radar. Yes there are a couple of websites choosing the Vikings to make it to the SB but as far as all the talking heads on TV, all I'm hearing is how much better Brees is over Keenum. I mean there's no way Keenum has a chance against a HOF QB right? Last I checked, football is a team sport. I've yet to hear one show analyze the Vikings D vs the Saints O and vise versa. Here's an example. Better QB? Saints. Better running attack? Saints. Better receivers(includes RBs)? Saints. Better Defense? Vikings. Better coach? Saints. Winner: Saints!
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:However, we're getting Gene "Index Card" Steratore, complete with all his theatrics and "I want some face time" antics.

If anything puts this game in jeopardy for the Vikings, it's this slightly unhinged zebra.
His antics don’t come immediately to mind. Is there a specific instance or two that were particularly memorable?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Domination wrote: His antics don’t come immediately to mind. Is there a specific instance or two that were particularly memorable?
Pretty much that entire Dallas-Oakland game.

He's known throughout the league to be pretty dramatic for the cameras. Even Mike Piererra has said so on air. Not that he's a bad ref, but pretty dramatic.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

S197 wrote:Agreed. Speaking of which, how cold is it in there with the doors closed this time of year? I've been to the stadium twice but both times it was in September.
I've been to a game where it was low 20's outside and it was still a comfortable high 60's, low 70's inside with doors closed.
I remember going to a game when the doors were open and it was quite cold outside, perhaps low 40s. I think the inside temps were around mid 50's then.