What's your story?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Re: What's your story?

Post by Husker Vike »

Became a fan at the end of the 1970 season when my grandmother said she would buy me pajamas for my birthday. One of my friends had a Chiefs shirt and told me they bought them from a Sears catalog. Well my mom showed me the catalog and said to pick something, took me a while to decide as I did not know anything about the NFL,but I really liked the colors and the horn logo and went with Minnesota . My Grandpa on my mom's side liked my choice as he came to this country from Sweden as a young man and Vikings are of course nordic.Been a fan ever since and try to get to as many games as I can, I even used to tape them when unable to watch and play them back on a Betamax, a lot easier now with today's technology.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

It wasn't until I was 9-10 years old that I started to pay attention to pro sports and mid 70s the Viks had such a strong exciting team. Even though I grew up about an hour from St Louis In Illinois the Cardinals just didn't interest me even though they had a decent team. Remembering watching Page, Eller, Krause, Tark, White, Foreman etc just really stirred my senses and genuinely excited me. Been my only team ever since. This years team seems like the most balanced since the 70s and very excited to see the game next weekend. All the years of dissapointments have taken a toll on my post season confidence but should be fun nonetheless . I'm a Phillies and Sixers fan for the same reasons as stated above and have watched each win a championship.....just need the Viks to come through for me....and my son who "inherited" the Vikings lol.
LondonViking
Backup

Post by LondonViking »

Born London, England.

Started to play Madden when I was little and always played as one of 3 teams it was the Vikings, Rams or Bengals but I was young and had no concept of the sport. Years passed and I just started to stay up late to watch the amazing show that was the superbowl and whatever limited coverage that I could find. The first one I saw was XXXVII I had no interest in either team but I was sold on the sport, I rushed out the next day to buy that latest madden I could find.

I have always loved Celtic and Norse mythology and as I played again I refound the Vikings. Coupled with seeing highlight reels of the Purple and Gold and the amazing looking fans I was sold it was the perfect match for me.

Followed the Vikings where I could but took a massive leap forward when broadband internet kicked in across the UK as I could actively follow the team and not just snippets on some highlight show. Watched every game I could and any news articals that I could find.

Went to my first Vikings game when they came over to beat the Steelers in a highlight of a poor season. I knew I was a follower but that game made me realise I was a actual fan for the pure outpooring of various emotions thoughout that game.

I will be over soon to sample a real home game and wont want to leave.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I lived in Utah growing up in the 80's and nearly everyone was either a Broncos fan due to proximity or becoming a 49ers fan due to Steve Young. There was also a fair amount of Cowboys fans. I'm a type 1 diabetic and at that time(around 1988) the Vikings had a diabetic QB(Wade Wilson). I decided to be a Vikings fan as I didn't want to be the same as everyone else. I stayed with the Vikings and followed them pretty close since.

My sports fan life has consisted of cheering for the Utah Jazz and the Vikings. I'm so ready for someone to win the championship.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I am from upstate NY near the Canadian Border. I have zero family connections to the Vikings. However, I will never forget, when I was in first grade, I use to always see Chris Carter in the early 90's catching TDs on SportsCenter. Then and there, I decide to like the Vikings. I was a WR my entire life growing up so that's why I loved Carter so much. Then when Moss got there, my "liking" for the Vikings at a young age went to "loving" the Vikings. As I've gotten older, I've loved them more and more.

I actually win bets all the time because friends of mine will say "go ahead, ask him any position or any number and he'll name that Vikings player". And of course, I never lose :lol:

So since US Bank was built, my friend Nick (also a big Vikings fan) and I said that we would go to one Vikings game a year in Minnesota to see if we can see all 31 other teams in the bank throughout our lifetime.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Born in Edina in the late 60s, lived in Bloomington not too far from Metropolitan Stadium. My parents weren't sports fans, but I was. As young as I can remember being aware of NFL football, I was a Vikings fan. Then we moved to Utah in 1972 when I was 5. No football teams to cheer for in Utah, so I stuck with the Vikings (and the Twins :-)). My parents were old school religious nuts, so they got rid of the television around the time we moved to Utah. From '72-'84, I had to get my fix listening to Vikings games on the radio. And they were played in the local market only 2-3 times each year. But I still remember sneaking out of church to go to the car to listen to the Vikings Super Bowl losses on the radio. When I was about 8 or 9, the Tarkenton biography was released, and I pored through it to learn as much as I could about my favorite team and player. Gut-wrenching losses that do not need to be revisited here have made being a Vikings fan tough, but I have never wavered. I have always been and will always be a Vikings fan. I moved to Chicago for law school in 1991, and have seen the Vikings play here nearly every year since. Since that time, I have seen nearly every Vikings game played. For several years, I would venture to a local sports bar every week to watch, then in 1997, when DirecTV debuted NFL Sunday Ticket, I was an immediate subscriber. Win, lose, or draw, I love watching my Vikes. My brother (who still lives in Utah) and I finally became Vikings season ticket holders last season with the opening of U.S. Bank Stadium (LOVE that stadium). I have now been up to 7 games in Minny since U.S. Bank opened (plus seeing the Vikes here in Chicago and this year in Lambeau Field), and am looking forward to traveling up to see 3 more wins in Minny this season (counting on an Eagles loss next week). I am more optimistic this year than ever. LET'S GET THAT MONKEY OFF OUR BACK, VIKES! SKOL!!!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Not much of a story for me. My older cousin was a Vikings fan. His room was full of Vikings posters. I looked up to him so I started following the Vikings too. This was around 1974. Been a loyal fan ever since.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
The Limey
Waterboy

Post by The Limey »

My story is a little different and I'd never claim to be a 'proper fan' like you guys but this team (and the people and place) hold a special place in my heart.

I'm actually from the UK and was lucky enough to spend a year in the Twin Cities back in 1994-95 on an internship as part of my degree course at University.

I was familiar with and enjoyed the NFL (we used to get a weekly tv programme in season) but I didn't have a 'team'.

That changed forever on what was my first ever visit to the US.

I worked at a printing company (McGill Jensen) in St.Paul which I don't believe is there anymore sadly and lived in The Burlington apartments down near Bandana Square. I worked with a mixture of Vikings and Packers fans but always found it strange that some of the locals followed that mob that wear Green and Yellow. The people I worked with welcomed me with open arms and as I felt like an adopted 'Minnesotan' I couldn't do anything other than follow the Vikings.

Unfortunately I never made it to a game but did manage a trip to the Metrodome to watch the Twins in what was an historic game from memory (Cal Ripken Jnr of the Orioles broke some long standing record and fans were given certificates as they left the stadium - I've still got it somewhere).

When my 12 months was up I genuinely didn't want to go home. The adventure of a lifetime was over but no one could take away the memories or friendships I'd made, or my love of the Vikings.

This adopted Minnesotan is watching from afar but I hope for everyone on here, and especially for the friends I made over 20 years ago, that this team brings it home for you all.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

People from Hawaii generally pick whatever team they like for obvious reasons. Usually west coast teams (SF, Raiders, etc.) but not always. I have friends that are 49er fans, Broncos, Browns, Chiefs...

Anyway, for me it was the uniforms. Wish there was more to it but that was it. I was a little kid and liked the comets on the helmet. My dad's company used to sponsor the Pro Bowl when I got a little older (and realized they weren't comets) so I got to meet a lot of players. I still have my old programs and although I met guys like Emmitt Smith, John Elway, etc., no autographs. Only Vikings. Guys like Browner, Doleman, Lee...

I still remember '98 because I really only met one other Viking fan before then. All of a sudden that year I see Viking shirts and jerseys everywhere and I'm thinking to myself, where the heck have all these people been? Of course that bandwagon didn't last but that's fine with me. They've always been my team and always will be.

I'd never been to a pro game until 3 years ago. We're trying to make it a tradition to go once a year and catch a Vikings game for me and a Chiefs game for my bro. So far I've seen the Vikings beat the Chargers in TCF, the opening of US Bank against the Packers, and the Saints game this year. Coming from a place where you feel like the only Viking fan to seeing a sea of purple jerseys is pretty awesome. There's really nothing like it and I highly encourage those who haven't had the opportunity to watch a game to try and catch one. The atmosphere is amazing!

No plans on going to any playoff games but I'll be there if they make the Super Bowl. No way in hell I'm missing that. I may not have been waiting as long as some of you guys but 3 decades is still a long time. Hope the drought ends this year!
Neversaynever
Waterboy

Post by Neversaynever »

In '69 I was an 11 y/o boy in Los Angeles and my brother was a Rams fan who slowly repeated /exaggerated touchdown calls "Touch----downnnn----Raaaaamms." It was annoying and I waited for anyone to beat them. Norm Snead's 2 win Eagles barely lost on the last play of one game (fortunately for me). Later, the 11-0 Rams played the 10-1 Vikings. I don't remember anything about the game except the victory and 21-20 score; in the playoffs Carl Eller sacked Roman Gabriel for a safety and a goal line stand contributed in a 23-20 win. I was hooked. I didn't watch full games but I was learning to like football when they played KC in the Super Bowl. I recall my dad cheering loudly when the Chiefs recovered a Vikings fumbled kickoff. That loss and Joe Kapp leaving for the Boston Patriots was devastating to this young kid.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

5th grade, '98 Vikes. Never saw a game, not even sure I know what they looked like. What I knew for sure is they were the talk of my friends. Some guy named Randy Moss was consistently the focal point of recess imitations. Needed to assimilate, quick.

Remember coming to school on a Monday and everyone was down. Why though? "The Vikings lost in the playoffs, didn't you watch?" "Oh, oh, yeah. Man that stunk. Randy Moss and etc., etc..."

Thinkin' I got the last laugh though. Total phony then, total diehard now.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I was born into a Viking household. More specifically, I was born to a father that was a fan. He was/is a rather...gruff and grumpy individual that has a hard time connecting or being around people. Unfortunately for him, I was born people. Always seeking approval, I suppose I looked for ways to connect with him. I was the kid that always wanted to help him do projects but was relegated to "hold the light. No, not like there. Jesus just let me do it." Super fun. Anyway, golf was always #1, but a very close #2 was Vikings football (they were like Thielen/Diggs in that respect). And the depth chart gets pretty barren after that.

I have fond memories of going on "nature walks" in northern Iowa on Sunday afternoons in the late '80s and early '90s (probably my mom's idea) but he'd always have this black Walkman-looking radio with a leather cover on it listening to the game. Eventually I got my hands on it and started listening to PA give the play-by-play and loved giving updates on Anthony Carter, Cris Carter, Wade Wilson, Rich Gannon, Hassan Jones, Steve Jordan, Keith Millard, Joey Browner, Chris Doleman, Jake Reed, Terry Allen, John Randle, Henry Thomas...guys of that era. It was a good time to grow up a Vikings fan. And of course that launched into the '90s teams. He got me hooked early and that's all it took. Oh yes, I had the Vikings Starter jacket (I know, be jealous).

Come to think of it, I've never once asked him why he became a Vikings fan. I assume it was closest proximity to a major NFL team. He's been complaining every year but he still watches and still cares. It's still one of the few things we can discuss that doesn't feel awkward or forced.

Now I've passed that down (is it a curse?) to my kids. We celebrate touchdowns by throwing them into the air 6 times (and three hugs for each field goal). I love it but I imagine it's going to feel pretty awkward when I'm still doing it when they're in high school.

Come on, Zimmer. Let's give guys like my dad one. I don't even want it for me anymore.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

My story is also a bit different, just like most other foreign fans.

In 2009/10 I was working mostly night shifts at work and after having watched all the shows I wanted I turned to sports. At that hour the only thing available were american sports so I started watching NHL and NFL games.
The more I watched football the more intrigued I was by the complexity of the game. It wasn't just big fellas running head first into other big fellas.
At the start of the season in 2011 I decided to try and find "my" team and watched pretty much every game each week.

Then came week 7, Vikings were playing the Packers at home. Their rookie quarterback had his first start...
His first play was a 72 yard pass to Michael Jenkins, the commentators were gushing.
I still didn't have a very good grasp of the intricacies of the game but thought that with such a good rookie quarterback the future looked very bright for the Vikings and I'd rather cheer for an up and coming team than a proven "good" team with an aging quarterback.
Then and there, with that pass play, I decided that Vikings were my team.
I guess most of you know which quarterback that was, but for the sake of clarity, Christian Ponder.

It is a somewhat funny story nowadays but I really do not regret becoming a Vikings fan, despite of how it turned out with Ponder and the next couple of seasons.

In 2012 I saw my first game live in Minneapolis. Came back in 2013 to see one home game and one away (The Josh Freeman game).
Then in 2016 we had the new stadium and I really wanted to go to the opener but doubted that I could get tickets, so what does one do? Buy a season ticket.
I ended up going to 4 home games and 1 away game that year.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I think it really started with baseball and the Twins. I was born in California, so some of my baby and toddler clothes were of Oakland A's. The story goes...when I was about 4 or 5 I walked into the living room where my Dad was watching the Twins. Pumped up, I guess he got sick of his son wearing Oakland apparel and he says, "take that #### off...(he walked off down the hall and came back with an old old Twins shirt) put this on." My Dad loved sports and I fell in love with it too. We would always watch Minnesota teams together (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Northstars) and it was all I really knew even though we had local teams here in Seattle. You also have to remember that my early childhood was when directv and such started those sports packages, so watching Minnesota teams was very easy to do and my Dad, thankfully, bought every one of them....It just progressed from there, so Minnesota it was, is and always will be.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I think it really started with baseball and the Twins. I was born in California, so some of my baby and toddler clothes were of Oakland A's. The story goes...when I was about 4 or 5 I walked into the living room where my Dad was watching the Twins. Pumped up, I guess he got sick of his son wearing Oakland apparel and he says, "take that #### off...(he walked off down the hall and came back with an old old Twins shirt) put this on." My Dad loved sports and I fell in love with it too. We would always watch Minnesota teams together (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Northstars) and it was all I really knew even though we had local teams here in Seattle. You also have to remember that my early childhood was when directv and such started those sports packages, so watching Minnesota teams was very easy to do and my Dad, thankfully, bought every one of them....It just progressed from there, so Minnesota it was, is and always will be.
Why did your dad like the minnesota teams?

Mods, can this be stickied? I have had so much fun reading these. I am waiting for Jim though [emoji41]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018