Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'd play them with a single high safety over Ted Ginn and play man cutting off short passes and smothering the run game. On offense they need to make sure not to give them a short field.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

They will murder us it won't even be close.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I watched the game today with a small preference for New Orleans. Cam Newton is horribly inconsistent, but if he decides to have one of his good games, we could have been in trouble - and that's really the only reason. So I'm pleased that way.

I'm also pleased that the New Orleans running attack was so ineffective against a good Panthers defense. It bodes well for our GREAT run defense.

Lastly, again regardless of who won, I saw guys running free in the secondary for each team. Lots of guys open, lots of missed tackles, lots of blown assignments. If they Saints do that next week, it will be a blowout. I'm not saying it will be, but I see many scenarios for a big Vikes win.

McKinnon can make the same play McCaffrey did, and even easier because he's not the great superstar Christian McCaffrey is, who the Saints would of course be keying on, right? The only way the Saints will get a lot of pressure is by bringing extra guys, so we need to spend the week working on blitz pickup and finding Thielen for that 5 yard pass, 70 yard run-after-catch thing. And we need to have some good red zone plays - that KILLED the Panthers today, who would have won by two scores if they had converted their opportunities.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

people on facebook are calling it the redemption tour to the chip. saints, falcons and steelers lol
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Trkn10 wrote: Agree with all that's been said.

This game has to be treated by those attending as important as the NFCCG because personally speaking - I think we beat the Saints and the road to Valhalla gets easier with the two remaining games (NFCCG & SB).

At the risk of appearing overconfident, we must show no fear as fans. They are going to look at our Forums as we do theirs and we cannot give the impression that we are cowering in the corner with our thumbs in our mouths. This is our opportunity to exact retribution for "Bountygate" and the dogpooh officiating in '09 and there should be plenty of signs hanging in the stands that remind the broadcast team and national audience of that.

I don't expect Keenum to light the field on fire, but if we can keep Brees contained and our offense and defense play mistake-free football then we should secure the win.

I am holding out to come to the NFCCG so for those attending Sunday - PLEASE PLEASE do what you can to make this the loudest, most inhospitable environment for a visiting team that you can. In the games I've attended at US Bank and the Metrodump, and from what I see every week on TV there are a fair number of fans that just sit on their hands and day dream. Please try to inspire them to get involved. We are on the cusp of making history - and that s... will last forever. Let's not screw this one up - either in the stands, or on the field.

SKOL and see you all in Minneapolis on the 21st :beerock: :smilevike: :govikes: :v):
You do know to get to Valhalla one has to die? Not exactly what I'm looking for in my Vikings team. :D
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

FWIW, Vikings open as 3 point favorites in Las Vegas.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

mosscarter wrote:They will murder us it won't even be close.

K
Muqali
Practice Squad

Post by Muqali »

My biggest fear for this game is that we don’t get aggressive enough in manhandling their offense. No one on our roster was with us for the 2009 season.... except Thielen. I sure hope he lets all of the newcomers to this organization know what the saints deserve. Reading the saints forums shows their fans have less than no remorse as well. I’m fine with all that as simply a fan of the sport cus it raises the stakes. Although I can feel for Aaron Rodgers and Packer fans on a human level, I would have zero qualms with Barr ending Brees’ career.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Muqali wrote:My biggest fear for this game is that we don’t get aggressive enough in manhandling their offense. No one on our roster was with us for the 2009 season.... except Thielen. I sure hope he lets all of the newcomers to this organization know what the saints deserve. Reading the saints forums shows their fans have less than no remorse as well. I’m fine with all that as simply a fan of the sport cus it raises the stakes. Although I can feel for Aaron Rodgers and Packer fans on a human level, I would have zero qualms with Barr ending Brees’ career.
Thielen was a rookie in 2013.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Muqali wrote:My biggest fear for this game is that we don’t get aggressive enough in manhandling their offense. No one on our roster was with us for the 2009 season.... except Thielen. I sure hope he lets all of the newcomers to this organization know what the saints deserve. Reading the saints forums shows their fans have less than no remorse as well. I’m fine with all that as simply a fan of the sport cus it raises the stakes. Although I can feel for Aaron Rodgers and Packer fans on a human level, I would have zero qualms with Barr ending Brees’ career.
I think you meant Robison but you are right. We need to be aggressive on all front. Not too aggressive of course, but Shurmur and Zimmer only needs to look at KC and see that going conservative in the playoffs is not always smart.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

TSonn wrote:Has Keenum faced any defenses this year that resemble the Saints' D? Seems like they rely on bringing pressure no matter the situation and have some weaknesses at LB. If I remember correctly, Keenum was one of the top QBs against the blitz this year so hopefully he can continue that success.

Yes they played the Rams, Ravens, Falcons, Bears who all have statistically better defenses than the Saints.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Dirtyswabby wrote:
Yes they played the Rams, Ravens, Falcons, Bears who all have statistically better defenses than the Saints.
Not to mention the Panthers and Browns.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think the weeks bye will really help us with getting some people rested and healed.
Also the Saints lost their guard during the game, they carted him off the field on the cart with air split on his leg.

We just have to be hungry this game.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Did anyone else notice the last sack on Cam was given up by Matt Kalil? Apparently the Saints were calling him “speed bump McGee”.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... matt-kalil
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

my biggest concern is still Forbath funnily enough. Kickers are key this late in the season and I think there's still a big question mark over him. Gano missed that 25 yarder early on yesterday, if he made that Panthers are only 2 behind on that last drive with less pressure and a relatively short 3 pointer to lead. (I know football isn't that easy and the game shakes out differently if he makes the 3 early, but the point still stands)

Titans beat the Chiefs by 1 point...Chiefs missed their only field goal attempt from 48 yards.

That's two games that could have swung the other way with better kicking. I really hope kicking doesn't cost us again