Saints are the better team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Saints are the better team

Post by mosscarter »

I know this will totally come off the wrong way, but we are not the better overall football team. We have a better defense, but they have one of the GREATEST QB's to ever play the game. As much as Keenum has done, he isn't anywhere near Brees' level, and he hasn't had to come from behind at all this year. I actually have no expectations heading into this game and it is a good feeling for me. There is no way we win this game and if we do I'm glad to be called out by everyone.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Saints are the better team

Post by Purple Domination »

The Saints have a middling defense. The media likes to expound on how improved it is, but it has improved from worst to average.

We have an elite D and home field. While Keenum is not Brees, I don’t think we need him to be in order to win.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Purple Domination I sure hope you are correct, and I am incorrect. It's just that offensively I don't think we can even mildly compare with the Saints. Keep in mind, in week 1 Bradford torched them with Cook, who was leading the NFL in yards up until his injury. We don't have either luxury and I see us losing badly in all honesty.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Saints have a better offense in the sense that they have a great QB and RB-stable. Receiving corps I'm not convinced they can outdo Diggs-Thielen-Rudolph.

But our defense is stronger than theirs.

And then there is the home field advantage.

It's not going to be easy, but I've said it before and I'll say it again : If we make it past the Saints, we're going all the way.
Tene Quod Bene
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Lol
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

what exactly is so funny 808, please explain?????? Is this a joke to you or something?
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

@mosscarter

The reason I'm not going to come down on you too hard is that I know what this is about. I understand that this is simply you, as a Vikings fan, constructing whatever psychological defensive mechanism that your mind believes is required to ease the pain of a 1-and-done to the Saints in US Bank Stadium this year.

But what I will not let you slide through here with is the false argument that they are the "Better overall team".
You can employ other arguments to justify your pre-emptive defense mechanisms, but we are going to pick apart this one...

Below you will find both teams 2017 Team stats, and what their league rank is for most of them.
Green fields indicate an advantage, red fields indicate a disadvantage, and grey fields indicate a tie.

So after we really compare many different team stats its fallacious to make the statement that either team is the clear-cut better overall team.

A few extra things on our side is; we beat them in head-to-head pretty handily (regardless of circumstances), We're 11-1 in our last 12 games which includes victories over 2 playoff teams - we barely lost to Carolina at home after giving up two flukey rushing TDs, The Saints are 3-3 in their last 6 - going 2-2 against playoff teams - This also includes an UGLY loss to Tampa Bay in Tampa ... while playing starters, The Saints end up with a 3-4 record vs Playoff teams while our record ends up at 3-2 against Playoff teams. One last thing on our side is look at the passing touchdowns in the chart above... 25/8 vs 23/8... In favor of ..... The Vikings

So like I said Moss, I'm not knocking what your doing, just the argument you are using to do it.
#SKOL
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think this defense is every bit as good as the defense the Seahawks had when they won the super bowl. Are they as good as the 2000 Ravens? I'm not there yet but I think if the offense is just somewhat competent and gives them 20 points without putting the opposing team on a short field we will win.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I appreciate your analysis 84 Breaks, but my question is this. How, in any lifetime, is Keenum a better QB than Brees? The reality is he is not, and we must come to terms with that. I already have. How can we logically beat these guys other than Brees turning the ball over????
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

mosscarter wrote:I appreciate your analysis 84 Breaks, but my question is this. How, in any lifetime, is Keenum a better QB than Brees? The reality is he is not, and we must come to terms with that. I already have. How can we logically beat these guys other than Brees turning the ball over????

By just kicking the loving dog crap out of them on defense and the offense has long sustained drives that generate some type of points. And keep Brees off the field as much as possible.

Wow if you are that scared of the Saints you are gonna pee the bed when we have NE or Pitt in the SB! You better go get a script for a whole body muscle relaxer to get thru that one.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mosscarter wrote:I appreciate your analysis 84 Breaks, but my question is this. How, in any lifetime, is Keenum a better QB than Brees? The reality is he is not, and we must come to terms with that. I already have. How can we logically beat these guys other than Brees turning the ball over????
If the better QB always won Dan Marino would have some super bowl rings. I can see this game going either way but to act like the Vikings have no chance with the best defense in the league and home field is crazy. Brees has been known to turn it over when under pressure. If the Vikings play their game they will win.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Maelstrom88 wrote:I think this defense is every bit as good as the defense the Seahawks had when they won the super bowl. Are they as good as the 2000 Ravens? I'm not there yet but I think if the offense is just somewhat competent and gives them 20 points without putting the opposing team on a short field we will win.
@Maelstrom88 - This is for you
Also anyone else who wants to see how our 2017 Vikings stack up with some relevant super bowl champions of the past ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =drive_web

I threw this together so we could compare the great teams to ours.. enjoy
Last edited by 84BreaksAnkles on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

How did the Tampa Bay Buccaneers logically beat these guys in week 17? BTW Saints did not rest starters for this game!

How about Carolina's defense forcing a hugely pivotal interception on 4th down at the end of the game, giving Cam one last chance to win the game... IN NEW ORLEANS..

Don't be ridiculous, don't act like this is the Cleveland Browns against the 1985 Bears... We have a logical chance, and a good one at that..
I never said Keenum was better, but 25tds/8int for the Vikings is a better line than the 23tds/8ints that (mythical, untouchable unicorn in your eyes) Brees put up this year.
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

alot of people like to say that week 1 "doesn't count". essentially trying to scrap it off like some preseason game. That game allowed us to get a game up on them, and helped us get the 2 seed. just remember this, they JUST lost to the bucs. We essentially held them to 12 points had it not been for the primordial garbage time 3 deep safety prevent nonsense td we always seem to give up. They would get a few plays and then stall, over and over and over. 4 field goals.

The side argument to the "their offense wasn't in sync yet" is neither was our defense. I trust this defense against anyone right now. Like zim said, they have an edge to them. They are hungry and can smell blood in the water.

Now as was stated in another thread , given the snakebitten, choketastic history we have all grown accustomed to, the best course of action is don't expect much. It has gotten me through the last few seasons. I almost broke protocol during the panthers game but i caught it fast and fixed the situation :rofl:

There are two mindsets i have going right now. The glass is half empty , lose by a fg at the last second typical end to the season we have come to expect. But the second mindset here is that there is something special about this squad. This is as complete a team as I have ever seen this franchise put on the field, and they all have that edge to them, starting with keenum, who I hope doesn't do anything stupid.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

mosscarter wrote:what exactly is so funny 808, please explain?????? Is this a joke to you or something?
Sorry, just sounds like a bait thread.

If you think there is no way the Vikings win this game, well, I have no words.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014