Flying out of MSP after Divisional Game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Moss This Moss That
Waterboy

Flying out of MSP after Divisional Game

Post by Moss This Moss That »

Sorry I know there's a dedicated forum for Travel info, but I noticed it doesn't get used often so I wanted to post in here too.

Trying to decide if I should fly or drive from Chicago. I'd like to fly, but need to be at work on Monday and the latest flight out of MSP on Sunday is at 9:10. As long as there's no over time, the game should be over by 7:00.

Does anyone know when I would get to the airport by? Google Maps tells me it's only a 15 minute drive, but not sure how much that would be impacted by gameday traffic. Would I make it by 7:30, and if so, would that be early enough to get through security? Or say it goes to over time and I can't make it to the airport till 8:00. Is an hour early enough?
MikethePurple
Veteran

Re: Flying out of MSP after Divisional Game

Post by MikethePurple »

I don't live in Minneapolis anymore but travel there a good amount to visit family and my brother in law is a pilot based out of MSP. I'd recommend looking into taking the lightrail to the airport after the game if you have a way of storing baggage during the game somehow. Could get you there faster than traffic getting out of that area after a game.

Timewise, it depends on your terminal, checking bags, etc. Terminal 2 you can breeze through. Last week I checked in and went through security in a total of about 20 minutes but if you're in Terminal 1 it takes longer. At 9 something at night on a Sunday it may not be super busy so you'd probably be ok being there an hour before but it always depends.....
Moss This Moss That
Waterboy

Post by Moss This Moss That »

Ok thanks for the info. It would be Terminal 2 and I'd probably just opt to not bring a bag. With that being said I'd prefer not to wear the same clothes on Saturday and Sunday so I'll probably just take an early Monday morning flight. Thanks again.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

You could do pre-Christmas or whatever it's called and get through the Humphrey terminal even faster.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:You could do pre-Christmas or whatever it's called and get through the Humphrey terminal even faster.

That's Santa profiling!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote: That's Santa profiling!
Dumb phone. I meant pre-screening.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

No! I meant PRE-CHECK.

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

In the last 2 years I have not waited more than 15 minutes in the security line at terminal two.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I wouldn't chance it. I think it's cutting it pretty close. Any issues and you are screwed. Also, would you bring bags with you? Might have to screen those.