Poet's 2018 Draft Crushes

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Poet's 2018 Draft Crushes

Post by dead_poet »

I usually have a handful of guys I like coming out. Might as well post a few here for discussion. They usually are guys I want on the Vikings.

So far:

DT: Maurice Hurst, Michigan
S: Ronnie Harrison, Alabama
G: Billy Price, Ohio State
CB: Josh Jackson, Iowa
OT/G: Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
LB: Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
CB: Jaire Alexander, Louisville
G: Frank Ragnow, Arkansas
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Poet's 2018 Draft Crushes

Post by dead_poet »

C/G: Brian Allen, Michigan State
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

I love the idea of Billy Price at 32 or perhaps moving up. He and Elflein give us a versitile combination of players that can play Center or guard and Berger and Easton have proven that flexibility is tremendously useful. They both played at Ohio State, and the more I think about it the better the idea is of plugging in a player like that. Elflein worked, there are a lot of similar things in place that Price should as well and many Ohio State OL have had success early so why not do more of what's working?
http://www.startribune.com/pat-elflein- ... 422102533/

I don't follow college football enough to be a "fan" as it will look like, but I am a fan in having players that have been through the same program and/or the same team and/or the same team in the NFL, particularly if a team has had success in converting that program into pro production.
As much as I would like for Berger to never get old and keep our 2017 roster together I suspect change is coming.

It just so happens that Andrew Norwell who started with for Panthers at LG and played on the Panthers with Remmers last year and started at Ohio State when Elflein was a redshirt freshman is a free agent as is Panthers right guard Trai Turner who played next to Remmers and with Norwell since 2014 are to be free agents if the Yankees aren't extended before then

Jack Mewhort who played with Norwell Elflein's redshirt year is a free agent and could also serve as depth.
Mewhort and Norwell I don't believe were in Ohio State when Price was around but still players from the same program probably translat things certain ways and were recruited in a similar way and have stories to share and an unwritten bond for playing for the same team. Plus Elflein can bridge the gap a little. Just interesting to think about.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Draft season. Vikings big needs this off season, G, RB, TE, QB, DT. Really, none of these are needs as much as wants. This is the most solid top to bottom team Vikes have had in my lifetime.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Why RB? I think K definitely needs to be on there.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The kid from OU does kickoffs, FGs, and punts. If we had an all-in-one player like that, would that free up a roster spot since you wouldn't need a punter and kicker?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:Why RB? I think K definitely needs to be on there.
The guy from either Georgia is really good. I would draft him even. I like Seibert as well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote:Why RB? I think K definitely needs to be on there.
I don't think Latavius Murray gets the most out of his blocks, or makes the most of his size. He's not worth 6 million when you can draft someone better and pay them .5 to 1.5. Even with the dead money, Latavius is a one and done for the Vikings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

fiestavike wrote: I don't think Latavius Murray gets the most out of his blocks, or makes the most of his size. He's not worth 6 million when you can draft someone better and pay them .5 to 1.5. Even with the dead money, Latavius is a one and done for the Vikings.
What about Cook and McKinnon?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: What about Cook and McKinnon?
McKinnon isn't under contract. We'll see what happens with him. I think they could use a bigger/short yardage type guy either way.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

As it relates to team needs, the following Vikings could be suiting up for their last game in purple on the 14th (or hopefully after a superbowl victory).

Pending Free Agents

Sam Bradford
Terrance Newman
Emmanuel Lamur
Tom Johnson
Joe Berger
Marcus Sherels
Case Keenum
Teddy Bridgewater
Michael Floyd
Tremaine Brock
Jerrick McKinnon
Shamar Stephen
Kai Forth

Outside of QB, none of those are probably game changers or guys who would cost a ton to bring back
I don't think Tom Johnson will be a hot commodity at his age, so I expect they'll re-sign him.
Jerrick McKinnon should be a guy they can sign relatively inexpensively but who knows.
Newman and Berger will probably retire, though neither should be pushed out the door.
None of the rest of those names are going to break the roster.

Potential cap relief cuts

Kyle Rudolph----6.4 savings
Shariff Floyd ---6.8 savings
Latavius Murray ---5.2 savings
Brian Robison ----3.5 savings
Andrew Sendejo ----3.5 savings
Jarius Wright ----2.6 savings

Nobody else of significance would factor in here.

Sendejo and Robison are looking like values at those prices now, so I don't expect either one to be shown the door.
Rudolph is a leader, but I've never been his biggest fan. I'd rather give his 6.4 to someone who gives more production for the buck.
Murray and Floyd are gone. They'll probably keep Wright since he's got 2.1 of his 4.8 guaranteed.

Overthecap currently has them sitting with 57.5 million in cap space, so cap casualties might not be necessary depending on other offseason moves.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Ielt would surprise me if Murray was released. Idk why. Sherels needs to be resigned. He will be cheap but his presence on STs is invaluable, imo.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Next season isn't so bad but a lot of that money will need to go towards extending key players on defense and Diggs on offense even if they technically aren't free agents. Plus a QB. I hope Newman elects to coach, he seems to have a knack and enjoyment for it. I think Alexander is ready to take over. We definitely need a G. I'd like to see Stephen resigned and another DT to go with Jaleel.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I'm a G.

Brad H
Waterboy

Post by Brad H »

PurpleMustReign wrote:The guy from either Georgia is really good. I would draft him even. I like Seibert as well.

Running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. The key is to get one that is versatile and can catch, block and run (when asked). As a point of reference, look at New England. On any given Sunday one of three guys will lead the team in rushing.
DEFENSE STARTS AT THE CORNERS