New Hope?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

purplenoway
Rookie

New Hope?

Post by purplenoway »

As a long time Vikings fan, since 1973, and enduring many disappointments during my fandom ( Super Bowl losses, playoffs losses and not forgiving the Vikes for the 1998 choke job) can someone out there give me a reason to hope for a Super Bowl win before I die? I'm almost 60 and not getting any younger. Skol!!! :beerock:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: New Hope?

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Best defense in football. That alone gives them a strong chance for success in the playoffs.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This team can beat anyone at home as witnessed by the wins over the Saints & Rams. Plus the Falcons on the road. Panthers was an uncharacteristically sloppy performance after a very long road stretch. Eagles look rather average without Wentz.

It's a tough set of teams but I think we have the players and coaches to do it this year. Even better is we have a week off to rest up guys that are nicked. I'm hoping for some very long wild card games with multiple OTs!
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

None of the current Vikings players remember the Super Bowl losses. They don't see anything but opportunity ahead, and they are playing as a team.

Why not us? :govikes:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I've been watching the Vikings near religiously since 1995. This is the most balanced team team I've ever seen. 1998 was certainly better on offense, but lacked defense. 2009 was also probably more talented on offense, but lacked strong fundamentals. The 2017 Defense is the best I've seen since Dungy was the DC. This is also the best coaching staff I've seen the Vikings have in my time as a serious fan and this is I think the major difference maker.

Championships are never guaranteed, but I feel like this team has the best shot since I've been watching.

I'm looking forward to the post season.

Also, I know why there is cynicism about the playoffs given the history, but I reject all that. Will I be disappointed if they lose in 2 weeks? Sure. But it has been a great and enjoyable season. I'm not going to let anything wreck that.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
purplenoway
Rookie

Post by purplenoway »

Unfortunately , I'm used to disappointment. I really hope this team proves me wrong.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

mansquatch wrote:I've been watching the Vikings near religiously since 1995. This is the most balanced team team I've ever seen. 1998 was certainly better on offense, but lacked defense. 2009 was also probably more talented on offense, but lacked strong fundamentals. The 2017 Defense is the best I've seen since Dungy was the DC. This is also the best coaching staff I've seen the Vikings have in my time as a serious fan and this is I think the major difference maker.

Championships are never guaranteed, but I feel like this team has the best shot since I've been watching.

Also, I know why there is cynicism about the playoffs given the history, but I reject all that. Will I be disappointed if they lose in 2 weeks? Sure. But it has been a great and enjoyable season. I'm not going to let anything wreck that.

Nice post!! :thumbsup:
This has been a great season even with losing a QB and RB.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

mansquatch wrote:I've been watching the Vikings near religiously since 1995. This is the most balanced team team I've ever seen. 1998 was certainly better on offense, but lacked defense. 2009 was also probably more talented on offense, but lacked strong fundamentals. The 2017 Defense is the best I've seen since Dungy was the DC. This is also the best coaching staff I've seen the Vikings have in my time as a serious fan and this is I think the major difference maker.

Good post. I've been a fan just a bit longer. Probably since 1990 from what I actually remember (born in '85). I disgaree with the last part though. These disappointments always hurt and in the end, if they don't get to the Super Bowl, not only will I be disappointed again, but what was an enjoyable sesaon, will turn to waste. When looking back, it will be just another failed opportunity. The only way this becomes memorable in the good sense is if they make the big game.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If they're in it they are good enough to win it. Simple as that.

The NFC playoff field is deep and strong this year, so getting there won't be easy. In a way I'm glad the Vikings aren't clear-cut favorites as that didn't turn out so well for them in 1998. If the Vikings make it to the Superbowl, they'll definitely have earned it.

AFC is 2 teams - the Steelers and the Patriots. I think the Steelers are better than the Patriots, although I'm not sure Pittsburgh can go up to Foxborough and get a win in January. That might be too much to ask, but if I could choose an opponent for the Vikings if they make it to the Superbowl it would be the Steelers any year (not just this one).

But first things first - got to get out of the Divisional round and hope Philly lays an egg at home so the Vikes get another home game.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that this year's team is better than the 2009 or 1998 teams (I hope they prove me wrong). In 98, we lost two games all year by a combined 6 points. It was the best offense (maybe other than when Moss was with Brady) ever. The truth is that team didn't need a defense, all they needed was to make a field goal when it mattered. And as far as 2009 goes, that was the most awful, crooked refereed sports game I ever saw. Think about it, we turned the ball over 6 times against the Saints and were still tied at the end of regulation. Who was the better team without the refs admitting they missed late hit's on Favre? I'll agree with the notion that maybe this year's team is more balanced, but not more talented. I'm kind of worried that if our defense slips up even a little bit we could be in big trouble offensively, especially if we fall behind early.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

This Pete morellie was the ref for two games that year got drilled the other game and jobbed in the playoffs that man hates the vikes
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

mosscarter wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that this year's team is better than the 2009 or 1998 teams (I hope they prove me wrong). In 98, we lost two games all year by a combined 6 points. It was the best offense (maybe other than when Moss was with Brady) ever. The truth is that team didn't need a defense, all they needed was to make a field goal when it mattered. And as far as 2009 goes, that was the most awful, crooked refereed sports game I ever saw. Think about it, we turned the ball over 6 times against the Saints and were still tied at the end of regulation. Who was the better team without the refs admitting they missed late hit's on Favre? I'll agree with the notion that maybe this year's team is more balanced, but not more talented. I'm kind of worried that if our defense slips up even a little bit we could be in big trouble offensively, especially if we fall behind early.
I always felt that we had the best team in the NFL both those years. We totally dominated the Saints, like 500 yards to 300, but five fluky turnovers did us in. But this year is good too. If we see the Case Keenum that we saw in the weeks he was staving off Teddy for the starting job, this will also be the best team in football this year. Maybe we should hope to be lucky, rather than good this time. I really would rather not see another OT NFC Championship game loss.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

NFL.com had every playoff teams strengths and weaknesses up this morning. The last line of the quote really stuck out to me. I honestly couldnt say I agree more :rock:
2) Minnesota Vikings (13-3)

Strength: Where do we begin? You can point to the team's star-studded offense, Minnesota's ability to overcome key injuries or the franchise's rock-solid, slump-proof and resourceful coaching staff, led by Mike Zimmer. It all starts with the defense, though, which has held teams to under 20 points in a whopping 12 games. If the pass rush hasn't quite been itself over the past two weeks, the Vikings still have reliable, Pro Bowl-level talent at every level. Beyond the team's nasty front seven, the back end of this unit -- led by cover man Xavier Rhodes and sensational safety Harrison Smith -- has the raw power to frustrate a high-flying team like the Rams in January.

Weakness: I don't see an overt weakness on this roster. Don't tell me this year's Case Keenum isn't a Super Bowl quarterback, either, because he's done nothing but magnify the play of his skill-position players. When Keenum ran into trouble in a Week 14 loss to the Panthers, his six sacks charted back to a banged-up offensive line currently missing left guard Nick Easton, who went on injured reserve on Dec. 26. The line can't suffer any more setbacks. I'd also be concerned that tight end Kyle Rudolph came out of Sunday's win over Chicago in a walking boot. Finally, we need to see Everson Griffen return to his pass-rushing heights from a couple of months ago, but chalk this up as nitpicking. This is the NFL's most complete team, with a roster that thrashed the Rams in November.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

John_Viveiros wrote:I always felt that we had the best team in the NFL both those years. We totally dominated the Saints, like 500 yards to 300, but five fluky turnovers did us in. But this year is good too. If we see the Case Keenum that we saw in the weeks he was staving off Teddy for the starting job, this will also be the best team in football this year. Maybe we should hope to be lucky, rather than good this time. I really would rather not see another OT NFC Championship game loss.

In 2000 and 2009 the NFCCG losses both felt like our "chickens coming home to roost". Long standing issues that we had avoided finally blew up like over matched coaching staffs and sloppy play by otherwise good players (AP Fumblitus?).

This is also why I think this team really has a shot. The one "Chicken" that might come home to roost is the idea of Keenum reverting back to form from his previous seasons, but that to me is different than the issues we saw in 2009 and 2000. Keenum has been great for the majority of this season. We've seen him make dumb decisions with catastrophic results on a handful of plays. It isn't an every game thing. No where near what we saw with AP's fumble issues that blew up in the 2009 NFCCG.

Also, and I really can't overstate this, I feel like we have a coaching staff that is an advantage. In all those other seasons, even 1998 it felt like we had a coaching staff, especially a head coach, that we had to overcome to win. (Especially 2009.) That isn't the case with this staff. This group has shown time and again that they can adjust, get punched in the face, and then come back and be competitive to the end.

I stand by what I said earlier, I feel like this team is the best shot to win it all that I've seen as a fan. This is the best overall roster in the NFL.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

mansquatch wrote: In 2000 and 2009 the NFCCG losses both felt like our "chickens coming home to roost". Long standing issues that we had avoided finally blew up like over matched coaching staffs and sloppy play by otherwise good players (AP Fumblitus?).

This is also why I think this team really has a shot. The one "Chicken" that might come home to roost is the idea of Keenum reverting back to form from his previous seasons, but that to me is different than the issues we saw in 2009 and 2000. Keenum has been great for the majority of this season. We've seen him make dumb decisions with catastrophic results on a handful of plays. It isn't an every game thing. No where near what we saw with AP's fumble issues that blew up in the 2009 NFCCG.

Also, and I really can't overstate this, I feel like we have a coaching staff that is an advantage. In all those other seasons, even 1998 it felt like we had a coaching staff, especially a head coach, that we had to overcome to win. (Especially 2009.) That isn't the case with this staff. This group has shown time and again that they can adjust, get punched in the face, and then come back and be competitive to the end.

I stand by what I said earlier, I feel like this team is the best shot to win it all that I've seen as a fan. This is the best overall roster in the NFL.
This post got me to thinking that neither a bad game from Case nor a bad game from Kai could completely doom this team, it think it would take a bad game from either of those guys AND a bad game from a few of our more consistent performers. I haven't been this confident going into the playoffs since 1998 but I was a teen back then and all i cared about was our high flying offense. I was also excited in 2009 but only after we destroyed the Cowboys (going into NO and winning was a tall order that year).
Formerly AADPFan