2017 Coaches Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2017 Coaches Thread

Post by dead_poet »

dead_poet wrote:Vance Joseph out after 1 year in Denver.
Joseph retained. Musgrave to stay OC.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Marvin Lewis extended. 2-years.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Marvin Lewis extended. 2-years.
Shut up. Really?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I thought the Vikings were bad when they extended Childress. That is a bad move and I feel sorry for Bengals fans.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Why is Cleveland keeping their coach ?

One win in two years ...really
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Why is Cleveland keeping their coach ?

One win in two years ...really
Because their personal sucks/sucked and firing coaches every year didn't really work to develop a vision. Instability rarely leads to success. But you have to think this is his last year if he can't win a few games. They have a ton of (high) draft picks. How can they screw it up this year? Always a fun off-season game.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Marvin Lewis extended. 2-years.
:shock:

Train wreck but try to look away, I dare ya!

https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/commen ... _for_2018/
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Shut up. Really?
You have to balance the fact that he couldn't win a playoff game to save his job, with the fact that he had them playing really hard and really well at the end of the season, when they were already out of it. They knocked both the 9-7 Lions and Ravens (would have both been 10-6) out of the playoffs. I think they suffer from what the Vikes had for many years - a good team, but not one that can go far in the playoffs.

In the end, many teams retained losing coaches, so there isn't as much coaching demand, so maybe I'd have dumped him based on the fact that I wouldn't have much competition for the better coaching jobs. The Cardinals would be a good job too. For me, not any of the others. Raiders are going Gruden, Bears have severe offensive problems, Lions have Matt Stafford (I don't see that as a positive) and are just snakebit (for decades now), Colts have no talent other than their injured QB, and the Giants seem to have locker room issues. Cincy has some solid players.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

John_Viveiros wrote: You have to balance the fact that he couldn't win a playoff game to save his job, with the fact that he had them playing really hard and really well at the end of the season, when they were already out of it. They knocked both the 9-7 Lions and Ravens (would have both been 10-6) out of the playoffs. I think they suffer from what the Vikes had for many years - a good team, but not one that can go far in the playoffs.

In the end, many teams retained losing coaches, so there isn't as much coaching demand, so maybe I'd have dumped him based on the fact that I wouldn't have much competition for the better coaching jobs. The Cardinals would be a good job too. For me, not any of the others. Raiders are going Gruden, Bears have severe offensive problems, Lions have Matt Stafford (I don't see that as a positive) and are just snakebit (for decades now), Colts have no talent other than their injured QB, and the Giants seem to have locker room issues. Cincy has some solid players.
Hell I'd coach the Browns. For anyone to be picky on NFL head coaching jobs is silly. I get your point but I can't imagine anyone outside of a hall of fame like Parcells being picky on which job to rake.

John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Hell I'd coach the Browns. For anyone to be picky on NFL head coaching jobs is silly. I get your point but I can't imagine anyone outside of a hall of fame like Parcells being picky on which job to rake.
I'm not sure I see what you are disagreeing about. To take your quote literally, of course a lot of people will be "picky on NFL coaching jobs" - specifically the GM will be very picky, and the fans are going to be picky about the selection, if the GM chooses to go with John Fox, for example.

What I came to believe, in that last paragraph, was that, had I been the Bengals GM, I would have said I was taking a week to evaluate where the team is at. At that point, I probably would have fired Marvin Lewis because I thought the Bengals job was one that had a high chance for success for an incoming coach. They have a good defense, some good running backs, AJ Green, maybe some offensive genius can fix Andy Dalton, etc. They aren't a total rebuild. If I'm a head coaching candidate, I'd rather get the Panthers job than the Browns job, right? Similarly, I thought that coaching candidates would prefer a team that would potentially require only a few cosmetic changes to get them into playoff form, like the Bengals, than one like the Giants who have some talent issues and a lot of players who might need more psychological help than coaching (Manning? Cromartie? Beckham? Apple?). So I'm the Bengals, I think I could swing Pat Shurmer to come there over the other jobs, over him going to teams that remind him of his old Browns stint.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I meant as a candidate. What I am saying is if the Browns called me and wanted to interview me and I had no other offers, I'd be in the next flight there. I wiuldnt turn them down because of a possibility the another team would call.

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Packers let go their OC, DC, QBs coach and GM. Hard not to think this was inadvertently caused by Anthony Barr. Quite the shakeup in Green Bay.
Brad H
Waterboy

Post by Brad H »

jackal wrote:I can’t believe they fired Del Rio ...

Nothing against Gruden but Del Rio
and management turned around a
complete mess since that super bowl
pooch screw ... firing a staff every year
with drunk Al Davis calling into call plays
in between clinking ice cubes
I had some Raiders on my fantasy team this year and watched almost every game. That team was an absolute disaster this season. I'm surprised they didn't do it five weeks earlier. The offense was ultra conservative and the defense was a total mess.
DEFENSE STARTS AT THE CORNERS
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:Packers let go their OC, DC, QBs coach and GM. Hard not to think this was inadvertently caused by Anthony Barr. Quite the shakeup in Green Bay.
Very surprised they didnt fire McCarthy
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Very surprised they didnt fire McCarthy
I wouldn't rule it out stoll, unless Rodgers demands he stay. GB is a mess right now.