View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:05 am



Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 New Hope? 
Author Message
Practice Squad
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:12 pm
Posts: 15
Post New Hope?
As a long time Vikings fan, since 1973, and enduring many disappointments during my fandom ( Super Bowl losses, playoffs losses and not forgiving the Vikes for the 1998 choke job) can someone out there give me a reason to hope for a Super Bowl win before I die? I'm almost 60 and not getting any younger. Skol!!! :beerock:


Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 pm
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am
Posts: 252
Post Re: New Hope?
Best defense in football. That alone gives them a strong chance for success in the playoffs.

_________________
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.


Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:40 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10883
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: New Hope?
This team can beat anyone at home as witnessed by the wins over the Saints & Rams. Plus the Falcons on the road. Panthers was an uncharacteristically sloppy performance after a very long road stretch. Eagles look rather average without Wentz.

It's a tough set of teams but I think we have the players and coaches to do it this year. Even better is we have a week off to rest up guys that are nicked. I'm hoping for some very long wild card games with multiple OTs!


Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 9461
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post Re: New Hope?
None of the current Vikings players remember the Super Bowl losses. They don't see anything but opportunity ahead, and they are playing as a team.

Why not us? :govikes:

_________________
*********
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida


Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3355
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: New Hope?
I've been watching the Vikings near religiously since 1995. This is the most balanced team team I've ever seen. 1998 was certainly better on offense, but lacked defense. 2009 was also probably more talented on offense, but lacked strong fundamentals. The 2017 Defense is the best I've seen since Dungy was the DC. This is also the best coaching staff I've seen the Vikings have in my time as a serious fan and this is I think the major difference maker.

Championships are never guaranteed, but I feel like this team has the best shot since I've been watching.

I'm looking forward to the post season.

Also, I know why there is cynicism about the playoffs given the history, but I reject all that. Will I be disappointed if they lose in 2 weeks? Sure. But it has been a great and enjoyable season. I'm not going to let anything wreck that.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm
Profile
Practice Squad
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:12 pm
Posts: 15
Post Re: New Hope?
Unfortunately , I'm used to disappointment. I really hope this team proves me wrong.


Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:17 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 pm
Posts: 1653
Post Re: New Hope?
mansquatch wrote:
I've been watching the Vikings near religiously since 1995. This is the most balanced team team I've ever seen. 1998 was certainly better on offense, but lacked defense. 2009 was also probably more talented on offense, but lacked strong fundamentals. The 2017 Defense is the best I've seen since Dungy was the DC. This is also the best coaching staff I've seen the Vikings have in my time as a serious fan and this is I think the major difference maker.

Championships are never guaranteed, but I feel like this team has the best shot since I've been watching.

I'm looking forward to the post season.

Also, I know why there is cynicism about the playoffs given the history, but I reject all that. Will I be disappointed if they lose in 2 weeks? Sure. But it has been a great and enjoyable season. I'm not going to let anything wreck that.



Nice post!! :thumbsup:
This has been a great season even with losing a QB and RB.


Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:27 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Posts: 2360
Location: Seattle, Wa
Post Re: New Hope?
mansquatch wrote:
I've been watching the Vikings near religiously since 1995. This is the most balanced team team I've ever seen. 1998 was certainly better on offense, but lacked defense. 2009 was also probably more talented on offense, but lacked strong fundamentals. The 2017 Defense is the best I've seen since Dungy was the DC. This is also the best coaching staff I've seen the Vikings have in my time as a serious fan and this is I think the major difference maker.

Championships are never guaranteed, but I feel like this team has the best shot since I've been watching.

I'm looking forward to the post season.

Also, I know why there is cynicism about the playoffs given the history, but I reject all that. Will I be disappointed if they lose in 2 weeks? Sure. But it has been a great and enjoyable season. I'm not going to let anything wreck that.


Good post. I've been a fan just a bit longer. Probably since 1990 from what I actually remember (born in '85). I disgaree with the last part though. These disappointments always hurt and in the end, if they don't get to the Super Bowl, not only will I be disappointed again, but what was an enjoyable sesaon, will turn to waste. When looking back, it will be just another failed opportunity. The only way this becomes memorable in the good sense is if they make the big game.


Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Posts: 5656
Location: The Great White North
Post Re: New Hope?
If they're in it they are good enough to win it. Simple as that.

The NFC playoff field is deep and strong this year, so getting there won't be easy. In a way I'm glad the Vikings aren't clear-cut favorites as that didn't turn out so well for them in 1998. If the Vikings make it to the Superbowl, they'll definitely have earned it.

AFC is 2 teams - the Steelers and the Patriots. I think the Steelers are better than the Patriots, although I'm not sure Pittsburgh can go up to Foxborough and get a win in January. That might be too much to ask, but if I could choose an opponent for the Vikings if they make it to the Superbowl it would be the Steelers any year (not just this one).

But first things first - got to get out of the Divisional round and hope Philly lays an egg at home so the Vikes get another home game.


Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 am
Posts: 1010
Post Re: New Hope?
I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that this year's team is better than the 2009 or 1998 teams (I hope they prove me wrong). In 98, we lost two games all year by a combined 6 points. It was the best offense (maybe other than when Moss was with Brady) ever. The truth is that team didn't need a defense, all they needed was to make a field goal when it mattered. And as far as 2009 goes, that was the most awful, crooked refereed sports game I ever saw. Think about it, we turned the ball over 6 times against the Saints and were still tied at the end of regulation. Who was the better team without the refs admitting they missed late hit's on Favre? I'll agree with the notion that maybe this year's team is more balanced, but not more talented. I'm kind of worried that if our defense slips up even a little bit we could be in big trouble offensively, especially if we fall behind early.


Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:06 pm
Posts: 77
Post Re: New Hope?
This Pete morellie was the ref for two games that year got drilled the other game and jobbed in the playoffs that man hates the vikes


Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:16 am
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Posts: 2449
Location: Olympia, Washington
Post Re: New Hope?
mosscarter wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that this year's team is better than the 2009 or 1998 teams (I hope they prove me wrong). In 98, we lost two games all year by a combined 6 points. It was the best offense (maybe other than when Moss was with Brady) ever. The truth is that team didn't need a defense, all they needed was to make a field goal when it mattered. And as far as 2009 goes, that was the most awful, crooked refereed sports game I ever saw. Think about it, we turned the ball over 6 times against the Saints and were still tied at the end of regulation. Who was the better team without the refs admitting they missed late hit's on Favre? I'll agree with the notion that maybe this year's team is more balanced, but not more talented. I'm kind of worried that if our defense slips up even a little bit we could be in big trouble offensively, especially if we fall behind early.
I always felt that we had the best team in the NFL both those years. We totally dominated the Saints, like 500 yards to 300, but five fluky turnovers did us in. But this year is good too. If we see the Case Keenum that we saw in the weeks he was staving off Teddy for the starting job, this will also be the best team in football this year. Maybe we should hope to be lucky, rather than good this time. I really would rather not see another OT NFC Championship game loss.


Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4715
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: New Hope?
NFL.com had every playoff teams strengths and weaknesses up this morning. The last line of the quote really stuck out to me. I honestly couldnt say I agree more :rock:

Quote:
2) Minnesota Vikings (13-3)

Strength: Where do we begin? You can point to the team's star-studded offense, Minnesota's ability to overcome key injuries or the franchise's rock-solid, slump-proof and resourceful coaching staff, led by Mike Zimmer. It all starts with the defense, though, which has held teams to under 20 points in a whopping 12 games. If the pass rush hasn't quite been itself over the past two weeks, the Vikings still have reliable, Pro Bowl-level talent at every level. Beyond the team's nasty front seven, the back end of this unit -- led by cover man Xavier Rhodes and sensational safety Harrison Smith -- has the raw power to frustrate a high-flying team like the Rams in January.

Weakness: I don't see an overt weakness on this roster. Don't tell me this year's Case Keenum isn't a Super Bowl quarterback, either, because he's done nothing but magnify the play of his skill-position players. When Keenum ran into trouble in a Week 14 loss to the Panthers, his six sacks charted back to a banged-up offensive line currently missing left guard Nick Easton, who went on injured reserve on Dec. 26. The line can't suffer any more setbacks. I'd also be concerned that tight end Kyle Rudolph came out of Sunday's win over Chicago in a walking boot. Finally, we need to see Everson Griffen return to his pass-rushing heights from a couple of months ago, but chalk this up as nitpicking. This is the NFL's most complete team, with a roster that thrashed the Rams in November.

_________________
Image


Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3355
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: New Hope?
John_Viveiros wrote:
mosscarter wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that this year's team is better than the 2009 or 1998 teams (I hope they prove me wrong). In 98, we lost two games all year by a combined 6 points. It was the best offense (maybe other than when Moss was with Brady) ever. The truth is that team didn't need a defense, all they needed was to make a field goal when it mattered. And as far as 2009 goes, that was the most awful, crooked refereed sports game I ever saw. Think about it, we turned the ball over 6 times against the Saints and were still tied at the end of regulation. Who was the better team without the refs admitting they missed late hit's on Favre? I'll agree with the notion that maybe this year's team is more balanced, but not more talented. I'm kind of worried that if our defense slips up even a little bit we could be in big trouble offensively, especially if we fall behind early.
I always felt that we had the best team in the NFL both those years. We totally dominated the Saints, like 500 yards to 300, but five fluky turnovers did us in. But this year is good too. If we see the Case Keenum that we saw in the weeks he was staving off Teddy for the starting job, this will also be the best team in football this year. Maybe we should hope to be lucky, rather than good this time. I really would rather not see another OT NFC Championship game loss.



In 2000 and 2009 the NFCCG losses both felt like our "chickens coming home to roost". Long standing issues that we had avoided finally blew up like over matched coaching staffs and sloppy play by otherwise good players (AP Fumblitus?).

This is also why I think this team really has a shot. The one "Chicken" that might come home to roost is the idea of Keenum reverting back to form from his previous seasons, but that to me is different than the issues we saw in 2009 and 2000. Keenum has been great for the majority of this season. We've seen him make dumb decisions with catastrophic results on a handful of plays. It isn't an every game thing. No where near what we saw with AP's fumble issues that blew up in the 2009 NFCCG.

Also, and I really can't overstate this, I feel like we have a coaching staff that is an advantage. In all those other seasons, even 1998 it felt like we had a coaching staff, especially a head coach, that we had to overcome to win. (Especially 2009.) That isn't the case with this staff. This group has shown time and again that they can adjust, get punched in the face, and then come back and be competitive to the end.

I stand by what I said earlier, I feel like this team is the best shot to win it all that I've seen as a fan. This is the best overall roster in the NFL.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 am
Profile
Franchise Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am
Posts: 460
Post Re: New Hope?
mansquatch wrote:
In 2000 and 2009 the NFCCG losses both felt like our "chickens coming home to roost". Long standing issues that we had avoided finally blew up like over matched coaching staffs and sloppy play by otherwise good players (AP Fumblitus?).

This is also why I think this team really has a shot. The one "Chicken" that might come home to roost is the idea of Keenum reverting back to form from his previous seasons, but that to me is different than the issues we saw in 2009 and 2000. Keenum has been great for the majority of this season. We've seen him make dumb decisions with catastrophic results on a handful of plays. It isn't an every game thing. No where near what we saw with AP's fumble issues that blew up in the 2009 NFCCG.

Also, and I really can't overstate this, I feel like we have a coaching staff that is an advantage. In all those other seasons, even 1998 it felt like we had a coaching staff, especially a head coach, that we had to overcome to win. (Especially 2009.) That isn't the case with this staff. This group has shown time and again that they can adjust, get punched in the face, and then come back and be competitive to the end.

I stand by what I said earlier, I feel like this team is the best shot to win it all that I've seen as a fan. This is the best overall roster in the NFL.


This post got me to thinking that neither a bad game from Case nor a bad game from Kai could completely doom this team, it think it would take a bad game from either of those guys AND a bad game from a few of our more consistent performers. I haven't been this confident going into the playoffs since 1998 but I was a teen back then and all i cared about was our high flying offense. I was also excited in 2009 but only after we destroyed the Cowboys (going into NO and winning was a tall order that year).

_________________
Formerly AADPFan


Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:20 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6734
Post Re: New Hope?
I've been at this since 1969.

I would say the 1969 team that played in Super Bowl IV was the most heavily favored Vikings team to appear in a Super Bowl, and one of the most talented compared to its opponents. Obviously things didn't turn out that well, but to this day, I believe if the Vikings and Chiefs had played 10 times, the Vikings would have won 8 of them. That defense ... never a better one, in my opinion. Steel Curtain. Ravens. Broncos. None of them better than the PPEs of '69. I suppose that's why they were so heavily favored. It's safe to say that the oddsmakers didn't think much of the AFL in those days, as they had made the Colts THE most heavily favored team in a Super Bowl (before or since) just one year earlier against Joe Namath's Jets. Apparently they didn't learn from that game.

It sucked in 1973. We were really, really good that year, with another absolutely dominant defense. So when Larry Czonka and Jim Kiick ran over us in the Super Bowl, I was stunned. Never more frustrated watching another team's offense against our defense. I just kept wondering, "Why can't we stop these guys?"

The next year, we simply didn't stand a chance against Pittsburgh. I don't know what it was, but we didn't match up very well against that defense. The Steel Curtain did to us what we SHOULD have done to the Chiefs. Again, frustration, this time at the offense. "Why can't we get a freaking first down?"

In 1976, that was simply devastating. The single most devastating day of my life. We were still really good, especially offensively, but our defense was aging. I knew if we didn't win that game, we might not win another one for a long time. I had no idea it would be 40 years and counting.

Winning this year would exorcise a lot of demons for me personally. A lot of bad stuff happened to me following the loss to the Raiders. I feel eerily confident this year. Mike Zimmer is the reason. I think when all is said and done, we might be talking about him the way we talk about Bud Grant. I love the guy and the way he coaches. I think he's completely changed the culture of the Vikings. Brad Childress said he was going to clean up the team, but he just ended up being a big talker who didn't lay it on the line for his players. Mike Zimmer's players would run through hell for him, mainly because they know he'd do anything for them. Jeez, with 8 eye surgeries, I'd say he already has. This team is so accountable, so together, so sacrificial. They simply want to win. They don't care about individual accolades, unless it's one Viking lobbying for another, the way Xavier Rhodes is campaigning for Harrison Smith. That kind of unselfish attitude from extremely talented players gives me a great deal of hope.

New hope? Yeah. No doubt. There's something different about this team, different than any Vikings squad I've seen in a long, long time. They may not win it all, but even if they don't, I fully believe they'll be right back in a similar position next year. Mike Zimmer is building something special here.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:03 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:47 pm
Posts: 1252
Post Re: New Hope?
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I've been at this since 1969.

I would say the 1969 team that played in Super Bowl IV was the most heavily favored Vikings team to appear in a Super Bowl, and one of the most talented compared to its opponents. Obviously things didn't turn out that well, but to this day, I believe if the Vikings and Chiefs had played 10 times, the Vikings would have won 8 of them. That defense ... never a better one, in my opinion. Steel Curtain. Ravens. Broncos. None of them better than the PPEs of '69. I suppose that's why they were so heavily favored. It's safe to say that the oddsmakers didn't think much of the AFL in those days, as they had made the Colts THE most heavily favored team in a Super Bowl (before or since) just one year earlier against Joe Namath's Jets. Apparently they didn't learn from that game.

It sucked in 1973. We were really, really good that year, with another absolutely dominant defense. So when Larry Czonka and Jim Kiick ran over us in the Super Bowl, I was stunned. Never more frustrated watching another team's offense against our defense. I just kept wondering, "Why can't we stop these guys?"

The next year, we simply didn't stand a chance against Pittsburgh. I don't know what it was, but we didn't match up very well against that defense. The Steel Curtain did to us what we SHOULD have done to the Chiefs. Again, frustration, this time at the offense. "Why can't we get a freaking first down?"

In 1976, that was simply devastating. The single most devastating day of my life. We were still really good, especially offensively, but our defense was aging. I knew if we didn't win that game, we might not win another one for a long time. I had no idea it would be 40 years and counting.

Winning this year would exorcise a lot of demons for me personally. A lot of bad stuff happened to me following the loss to the Raiders. I feel eerily confident this year. Mike Zimmer is the reason. I think when all is said and done, we might be talking about him the way we talk about Bud Grant. I love the guy and the way he coaches. I think he's completely changed the culture of the Vikings. Brad Childress said he was going to clean up the team, but he just ended up being a big talker who didn't lay it on the line for his players. Mike Zimmer's players would run through hell for him, mainly because they know he'd do anything for them. Jeez, with 8 eye surgeries, I'd say he already has. This team is so accountable, so together, so sacrificial. They simply want to win. They don't care about individual accolades, unless it's one Viking lobbying for another, the way Xavier Rhodes is campaigning for Harrison Smith. That kind of unselfish attitude from extremely talented players gives me a great deal of hope.

New hope? Yeah. No doubt. There's something different about this team, different than any Vikings squad I've seen in a long, long time. They may not win it all, but even if they don't, I fully believe they'll be right back in a similar position next year. Mike Zimmer is building something special here.



Great post,
Yeah, I was 11 when the Vikes got beat by the Raiders, and my brother, 15, was a Raiders fan......it was brutal.
One thing I’m not reading is how well this team adjusts within the game. I think that is one of the biggest and best things that Zimmer does. It gives me confidence that we can beat the Pats. I know Belechick is a genius but I think Zim can match up and they can keep the Pats to under 20 points. My big concern is Keenum scoring enough to beat the Pats defense.

_________________
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945


Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:58 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2910
Location: Missouri
Post Re: New Hope?
dkoby wrote:
Great post,
Yeah, I was 11 when the Vikes got beat by the Raiders, and my brother, 15, was a Raiders fan......it was brutal.
One thing I’m not reading is how well this team adjusts within the game. I think that is one of the biggest and best things that Zimmer does. It gives me confidence that we can beat the Pats. I know Belechick is a genius but I think Zim can match up and they can keep the Pats to under 20 points. My big concern is Keenum scoring enough to beat the Pats defense.
This is one of the biggest differences from this team from the last decade. It seemed like Childress and Frazier always got beat in the second half schematically, which almost never happens under Zim.


Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6078
Post Re: New Hope?
mosscarter wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with the fact that this year's team is better than the 2009 or 1998 teams (I hope they prove me wrong). In 98, we lost two games all year by a combined 6 points. It was the best offense (maybe other than when Moss was with Brady) ever. The truth is that team didn't need a defense, all they needed was to make a field goal when it mattered.


I know I always fight an uphill battle when I try make this point - I have several times over the years - but we needed a defesne. When Anderson missed his field goal we still were up by a touchdown and only needed to keep Atlanta from scoring a touchdown to make sure we went to the Super Bowl. Anderson's 1st miss came at the worst possible time, but if you were to say you needed a strong defense or a perfect kicker to be successful, which one seems more attainable?

Regardless, I have to go with the thought that this squad is the more complete team, although I agree that the 98 squad was obviously our best offensive squad ever.

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:38 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.