How confident are you in Case Keenum in the playoffs?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How much do you trust Case Keenum in the playoffs?

100% - He has my full confidence
37%
80-99% - He's been great but shaky recently. Moderately confident
29%
50-79% - I'm a little worried but the rest of the team can compensate
22%
0-49% - I'm extremely worried that he may be the direct cause of our elimination
12%

Total votes: 49

dead_poet
Commissioner

How confident are you in Case Keenum in the playoffs?

Post by dead_poet »

How confident are you?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: How confident are you in Case Keenum in the playoffs?

Post by dead_poet »

An article outlining some of my concerns

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/h ... ostseason/
The issue is that Keenum very often will misdiagnose who is open — throwing to receivers well covered instead of open players — or misdiagnose who his first read should be. Very often, he will throw to a route designed to beat man coverage when the defense shows zone — even though the other side of the field has routes meant to beat that coverage. That’s the precise problem with his near-interception against the Bengals up above as well as the final Green Bay example.

There are a number of very good defenses in the NFC playoffs, and four of the Vikings’ five potential opponents are top eight in Football Outsiders’ defensive DVOA. These defenses are unlikely to make the kinds of mistakes that allow quarterbacks to get away with missing finite opportunities or turnover-worthy throws.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

My iiggest concern with him is more with play calling. I get that he has missed open receivers but on the other hand, he isn't careless with the ball. He is a better QB when he can select up in the pocket rather than to the side, unless it's a designed roll out.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Arif Hasan is constantly putting down Case Keenum and Also Carson Wentz . He dislikes both QB's
Arif is a Teddy guy...
The thing I dislike about his articles is he is a Stat Whore. You can get stats to show anything you you want.
But that's just my opinion.

Case needs to play better, but hoping a healthy offense line will help him out.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote:Arif Hasan is constantly putting down Case Keenum and Also Carson Wentz . He dislikes both QB's
Arif is a Teddy guy...
The thing I dislike about his articles is he is a Stat Whore. You can get stats to show anything you you want.
But that's just my opinion.

Case needs to play better, but hoping a healthy offense line will help him out.
He doesn't hate Case Keenum (yes, he doesn't like Wentz and has acknowledged he had a good year before the ACL). He's said that many times. Evaluating a guy's play doesn't mean he hates them.

What in his article do you disagree with?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:Arif Hasan is constantly putting down Case Keenum and Also Carson Wentz . He dislikes both QB's
Arif is a Teddy guy...
The thing I dislike about his articles is he is a Stat Whore.
He certainly loves his stats. I've never cared for his approach to analysis.

Ahem... sorry, that's not really the subject of this thread.

I'm 100% confident in Keenum's ability to continue playing at the level he's played at thus far. In another words, yes, he may throw a near pick (or even a pick) but overall, I think he'll show good escapability, play smart, resourceful football and help direct a balanced offense that can sustain and finish drives. I don't think he's likely to carry the team to victory on his shoulders or cost them a game on his own. Honestly, I think the Vikes will live and die primarily on the performance of their defense and, to a lesser extent, their OL in the postseason. Their running game is as important to their offensive success as Keenum's passing (thus my comment about the OL) and they're built to win by sustaining long drives and playing stifling defense.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Keenum has earned my confidence in him. Playoffs or not...If he has a bad game, it's not like I'm going to be saying, "man, they should've just started Teddy or Bradford." Obviously something like that would be strong on hindsight, but what have we seen that suggests Case can't be a serviceable, at the least, playoff quarterback? He's not perfect, but he might just be perfect for this team and this run, even if it's only for this season.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

As long as the offense doesn't put the defense in bad position I think they will have a great chance to win. Case hasn't done that very often this year. He just needs to play within himself.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: He doesn't hate Case Keenum (yes, he doesn't like Wentz and has acknowledged he had a good year before the ACL). He's said that many times. Evaluating a guy's play doesn't mean he hates them.

What in his article do you disagree with?
Go look at his tweets on Keenum, the other week his tweeter profile pic was Teddy.
Keenum got us to where we are now. We need to ride it out.

:govikes:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

halfgiz wrote: Keenum got us to where we are now. We need to ride it out.

:govikes:
I'm not saying we make a switch at QB. I'm just nervous that our weakest link on offense might be QB. And that scares the dickens out of me.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Im about 75% confident in Keenums skills and abilities as a quarterback, he has had some great games and a few duds that were covered up by the rest of the team. I am 100% confident in Keenums heart and determination to win!
Formerly AADPFan
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

One of his talking points is YAC. So I posted this on another forum that discussed the same article.

Top 10 in YAC

Code: Select all

1	T. Gurley II	  LAR	811
2	L. Bell	       PIT   688
3	A. Kamara	      NO	662
4	C. McCaffrey	  Car	572
5	G. Tate	       Det	555
6	D. Johnson Jr.	Cle   548
7	M. Ingram	      NO	496
8	C. Thompson	   Was   483
9	J. McKinnon	   Min   476
10	A. Brown	     PIT   471

So, 1,158 yards(26.7%) of Drew Brees 4,334 yards of passing goes to two players running after they caught the ball. Anyone have a story talking about Brees being a paper tiger? Or for that matter Ben Roethlisberger?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

This is Keenum's moment. He's gonna shock some people and be a very rich fella next year.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm fully confident he can manage the game, which is all I think he needs to do. Especially with the O-line starters back (sans Easton). His deep ball needs work but he's phenomenal at escaping and improvising.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

For me, I don't really care how he did or what his stats were prior to being a Viking. My opinion is from what he's done with this team.

Case is a wizard at feeling pressure and extending plays. I love the way he's always looking downfield. I love his passion, his attitude, his humility.

The only knock I have against him is his ball placement on the deep ball. If Case can lead his receivers better and hit them in stride, this team would be almost unstoppable. If case does this along with hitting that wide open receiver, the Vikings would be unstoppable.

The other thing I noticed lately is I believe the coach staff is telling Case not to force anything. He's been a gunslinger this season but not so much in recent games. Instead, he's been more hesitant and has been holding on to the ball and throwing it away more. I guess I wouldn't blame Zimmer with how the defense and the punting team has been playing.

One more thing I noticed while rewatching the bears game was how many times the Bears tipped Keenum's pass at the line of scrimmage. I think I counted 4. Never noticed prior to this game
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014