Bradford Could Return (?)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Bradford Could Return (?)

Post by dead_poet »

DK Sweets wrote: I can't speak to his workouts or work ethic obviously, but I feel like if you look at his legs they are thinner than the other guys you mentioned. He's always had a weird body type/gait in my opinion, so even if it hs nothing to do with his effort, I think the gangliness (I made that word up) is there.
Really? Put the legs of Ryan, Flacco, Bradford, Rodgers, Brady, Cousins, etc. (basically any QB not named Cam Newton) and I'd have no flippin' clue. Upper body, sure. Not legs. At least not me. I'm not that observant apparently.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
WadeWilson
Practice Squad

Post by WadeWilson »

soflavike wrote:If Keenum is hurt in a playoff game and we need a score, a healthy Bradford is an easy choice over a rusty Bridgewater
Not sure if I could agree with that. He is a sitting duck in the pocket and every defense he would face is going to be pretty good, and our line is not going to be at full strength. The last game he was cleared to start was a disaster until he got pulled.

I think I would take the rusty qb that can move and not take so many sacks.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

WadeWilson wrote: Not sure if I could agree with that. He is a sitting duck in the pocket and every defense he would face is going to be pretty good, and our line is not going to be at full strength. The last game he was cleared to start was a disaster until he got pulled.

I think I would take the rusty qb that can move and not take so many sacks.
How do you know Teddy can move?

Not making an argument either way. But Bridgewater has taken 5 snaps in two years. I won't make a judgment based on those 5 snaps because it wouldn't be fair to Teddy, but I think it's fair to say that we have no idea what his mobility is like.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: How do you know Teddy can move?

Not making an argument either way. But Bridgewater has taken 5 snaps in two years. I won't make a judgment based on those 5 snaps because it wouldn't be fair to Teddy, but I think it's fair to say that we have no idea what his mobility is like.
Well, from what we all have seen so far, Teddy can drop back, Bradford can't.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Well, from what we all have seen so far, Teddy can drop back, Bradford can't.
You don't know that. Heck, Zimmer doesn't even know that. He hasn't seen Sam practice. It's been 3 months since Bradford was on the field. Neither you nor I know what he's capable of right now.

And from what I saw, Teddy didn't look particularly mobile in his short stint. Again, that may be unfair, given that he only got 5 snaps.

It's weird to say, but if Case Keenum goes down, we're likely screwed.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Heck, Neither you nor I know what he's capable of right now.
Exactly. We can only go by what we've seen in game. The last we've seen, Teddy could drop back fine, Bradford could hardly walk without limping. That's all we can go by until we see otherwise.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

For Teddy and Sam at this point, with what we know, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. It's impossible to say if Teddy can move or even throw the ball accurately downfield consistently. Pretty much the same with Sam but I am guessing he can still throw the ball fairly accurate if his knees are strong enough.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:For Teddy and Sam at this point, with what we know, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. It's impossible to say if Teddy can move or even throw the ball accurately downfield consistently. Pretty much the same with Sam but I am guessing he can still throw the ball fairly accurate if his knees are strong enough.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Pretty sure the Vikings wouldn't activate much less put Teddy on the field if they didn't think he could throw the ball downfield (consistently).

From his one scramble, he looked like he was moving fine.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Have to evaluate Bradford in practice. If he's able to move around in the pocket and step into his throws, I think he's a better backup option than Teddy. Don't hate me for saying it, I like Teddy, but I don't have any confidence he can take a hit or throw the ball as well as Bradford can (I don't think he ever did).
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

dead_poet wrote:Pretty sure the Vikings wouldn't activate much less put Teddy on the field if they didn't think he could throw the ball downfield (consistently).
Oh, I don't know about that now... they've activated plenty of QBs who couldn't throw downfield consistently. :lol:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

soflavike wrote: Oh, I don't know about that now... they've activated plenty of QBs who couldn't throw downfield consistently. :lol:
Ha!

Sam could do it, but he needed to be in a lawn chair first.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

He's baaaaack!

https://twitter.com/VikingUpdate/status ... 5497140224

Looks way more like week 1 knees than week 5 knees. I like what Keenum brings in terms of escapability (which I think will be absolutely necessary in the playoffs) but I would definitely put Bradford above Bridgewater on the depth chart. I love rooting for Teddy but needing to throw him in a playoff game for his first meaningful minutes in 2 years is a nightmare. Starting today, Bradford will have as much practice time prior to our divisional round game as he did to prepare for his dismantling of GB last year week 2. Plus, he already knows the playbook and the WR/RBs.

Hopefully we don't have to find out what happens if Case goes down, but if he does, I think we still keep on winning Bradford - maybe not with Bridgewater.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: Pretty sure the Vikings wouldn't activate much less put Teddy on the field if they didn't think he could throw the ball downfield (consistently).

From his one scramble, he looked like he was moving fine.
I've refrained from evaluating Teddy's limited performance because I think it would be unfair. But since you brought it up, I thought he looked tentative. That's just my observation, and reasonable people can disagree on things like this.

Here's the issue for me: I think the coaching staff missed a huge opportunity in the Cincy game.

Not only did they only get Teddy 5 snaps, they were also ultra-conservative when they did play him. Teddy needed real reps, not just a nice welcome back and a standing ovation.

I didn't think they should play him in any games they could lose. But they had ample opportunity against Cincinnati. That was the most one-sided game the Vikings have had in a long time. They should have played Teddy at least a full quarter, and gotten him a minimum of 8-10 pass attempts. I don't care if you're up 30. Break the stupid coach's code. Marvin Lewis would have understood. Teddy needed the reps in the passing game.

He's our No. 2, one twisted ankle from holding the keys to the Ferarri. It would be incredibly unfair to expect him to drive it flawlessly in a playoff game. But that's now the situation we're in. Either that, or chance that the duct tape and bailing wire holding Sam's knee together won't blow apart.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

TSonn wrote:He's baaaaack!

https://twitter.com/VikingUpdate/status ... 5497140224

Looks way more like week 1 knees than week 5 knees. I like what Keenum brings in terms of escapability (which I think will be absolutely necessary in the playoffs) but I would definitely put Bradford above Bridgewater on the depth chart. I love rooting for Teddy but needing to throw him in a playoff game for his first meaningful minutes in 2 years is a nightmare. Starting today, Bradford will have as much practice time prior to our divisional round game as he did to prepare for his dismantling of GB last year week 2. Plus, he already knows the playbook and the WR/RBs.

Hopefully we don't have to find out what happens if Case goes down, but if he does, I think we still keep on winning Bradford - maybe not with Bridgewater.
Looks like he's planting well! If the coaches like what they see, I'd definitely make him the back up for our playoff run.

It will be an interesting off season for Sam. Can you imagine the pins and needles we'd be sitting on if we bring him back as our starter? We'd be waiting every game for him to get injured again. For this reason (same applies to Teddy) I'd like to see us bring back Case and draft a young QB.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple Domination wrote: Looks like he's planting well! If the coaches like what they see, I'd definitely make him the back up for our playoff run.

It will be an interesting off season for Sam. Can you imagine the pins and needles we'd be sitting on if we bring him back as our starter? We'd be waiting every game for him to get injured again. For this reason (same applies to Teddy) I'd like to see us bring back Case and draft a young QB.
Sam to Arizona makes some sense. Or did before Arians left anyway.