Week 17 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Week 17 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet »

Dominant defense yet still felt like we kept them in it. The Bears do have a good defense.

70% Bad Case in this one (IMO).

Penalties were stupid.

Offense was meh. Diggs/AT were solid.

Good on Waynes. He's turning it around in a big way.

Let's get healthy and come out swinging in a couple weeks.

(Case still makes me nervous).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Week 17 Reaction Thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't think Case missed too many throws though. There were some terrible penalties on the OL that wrecked some good drives. Case wasn't perfect but I just don't think he was that bad either.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
cody_2664
Transition Player

Week 17 Reaction Thread

Post by cody_2664 »

Don't forget about Murray. He was solid.

20/111 2tds
Last edited by cody_2664 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this OUR year?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Offense is pretty different with Elflein and he should be good to go. Chicago gashed this defense with the run last year, so huge improvement there. Bit of a sloppy game with the penalties but you rarely see two of those in a row from this team so maybe good they got it out of their system.

Special teams really worried me other than Quigley who had a great game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I didn't think Case was bad. He's playing the way they want him to play ... conservatively. Really missing the Vikings offense we saw against Washington, L.A. and Detroit. Playcalling recently has been "let's not give the ball away, let's not take chances."

Trae Waynes has really emerged as a cover corner, as well as a tremendous playmaker in the running game. I laugh at the mock drafts that have us taking a corner because "Trae Waynes is a liability." I honestly believe the Bears were throwing at Rhodes in the second half because Waynes was simply taking care of business.

Our defense rocks. No touchdowns today against the D. Bears barely cracked 200 yards, and only because we got soft in our coverages once we had a big lead.

Ryan Quigley had a great day. The punt return TD was a strange play, but the rest of the day, he was locked in. His distance control on punts inside the 20 was amazing.

The O-line struggled today, especially in pass protection. Sure hope we get Elflein back for the playoffs. Sirles struggled big-time today.
Took a ton of penalties, especially in that second half.

The line did have a nice day in the running game -- 147 yards rushing is solid. Nice day for Murray with 111, his season high.

Kind of got overlooked, but we ended up with more penalties (12 ... yikes!) than the Bears, even though the Bears had like 8 in the first 20 minutes of the game. Absolutely MUST clean that up.

Let's get healthy and get ready to roll.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Dominant defense yet still felt like we kept them in it. The Bears do have a good defense.

70% Bad Case in this one (IMO).

Penalties were stupid.

Offense was meh. Diggs/AT were solid.

Good on Waynes. He's turning it around in a big way.

Let's get healthy and come out swinging in a couple weeks.

(Case still makes me nervous).
I thought Case was fine. He underthrew a few deep passes and he needs to connect on those but even several of those underthrown balls resulted in PI calls.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Our third down defense today was 1-12 (or 11-12 stops, if you want to read it that way). That makes us 51-202 for the season, a percentage of 25.2%. That's historically good! Lots of solid defenses (Ravens, Broncos in their Superbowl years) that won it all for anemic offenses were in the low 30's for a third-down conversion rate.

People always used the 1991 Saints as the gold standard for third-down defense, at 26.1%, and that was back in 1991. Even with the liberalization of passing rules, the Vikings results are stronger than that. Best defense in more than a quarter century!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

John_Viveiros wrote:Our third down defense today was 1-12 (or 11-12 stops, if you want to read it that way). That makes us 51-202 for the season, a percentage of 25.2%. That's historically good! Lots of solid defenses (Ravens, Broncos in their Superbowl years) that won it all for anemic offenses were in the low 30's for a third-down conversion rate.

People always used the 1991 Saints as the gold standard for third-down defense, at 26.1%, and that was back in 1991. Even with the liberalization of passing rules, the Vikings results are stronger than that. Best defense in more than a quarter century!
That's an amazing stat!

Can you imagine how good they would be if we had a pro bowl safety? :gone:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote: That's an amazing stat!

Can you imagine how good they would be if we had a pro bowl safety? :gone:
Lol I agree. That stat is unreal. :rock: And if they keep commiting so many penalties it will cost them in the playoffs.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't think Case missed too many throws though. There were some terrible penalties on the OL that wrecked some good drives. Case wasn't perfect but I just don't think he was that bad either.

We had 12 Penalties and I think 9 were on the offense. Which is BS this late in the season. No reason to hold.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Snoozer, though I started to get slightly nervous before that last goal line stand by the Vikes.

A bye week is so nice now. No stress next weekend.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Cam Newton is having an awful game. I'm surprised Carolina has as many wins as they do.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

The Falcons and the Saints are the two teams that worry me most.

The Falcons because you know they’re capable (because they were there last year), you know they’re hungry (because of what happened last year), and they seem to be playing their best football of the year at the right time.

They Saints because they just seem to have the right recipe of offence & defense this year, and they have the QB with experience.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

What a season. I never imagined them being 13-3 this year even with Bradford and Cook.

I gotta say I was nervous as hell watching the 4th. I could not happen but think of how they could choke it away haha.

Three things I am concerned about going forward: Offensive line depth, penalties (wayyyy too many today), and our pass rush (it seems to have really disappeared as of late).

We will need to perform better on offense and special teams moving forward. Looking forward to the playoffs. SKOL!!!
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

The penalties concern me most. It seems like we have had way too many really bad penalties lately.