View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Week 17 Reaction Thread 
Commissioner

Post Week 17 Reaction Thread
Dominant defense yet still felt like we kept them in it. The Bears do have a good defense.

70% Bad Case in this one (IMO).

Penalties were stupid.

Offense was meh. Diggs/AT were solid.

Good on Waynes. He's turning it around in a big way.

Let's get healthy and come out swinging in a couple weeks.

(Case still makes me nervous).

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:09 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Post Re: Week 17 Reaction Thread
I don't think Case missed too many throws though. There were some terrible penalties on the OL that wrecked some good drives. Case wasn't perfect but I just don't think he was that bad either.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Transition Player

Post Week 17 Reaction Thread
Don't forget about Murray. He was solid.

20/111 2tds

Last edited by cody_2664 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:22 pm
Profile YIM
Fenrir

Offense is pretty different with Elflein and he should be good to go. Chicago gashed this defense with the run last year, so huge improvement there. Bit of a sloppy game with the penalties but you rarely see two of those in a row from this team so maybe good they got it out of their system.

Special teams really worried me other than Quigley who had a great game.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm
Hall of Famer

I didn't think Case was bad. He's playing the way they want him to play ... conservatively. Really missing the Vikings offense we saw against Washington, L.A. and Detroit. Playcalling recently has been "let's not give the ball away, let's not take chances."

Trae Waynes has really emerged as a cover corner, as well as a tremendous playmaker in the running game. I laugh at the mock drafts that have us taking a corner because "Trae Waynes is a liability." I honestly believe the Bears were throwing at Rhodes in the second half because Waynes was simply taking care of business.

Our defense rocks. No touchdowns today against the D. Bears barely cracked 200 yards, and only because we got soft in our coverages once we had a big lead.

Ryan Quigley had a great day. The punt return TD was a strange play, but the rest of the day, he was locked in. His distance control on punts inside the 20 was amazing.

The O-line struggled today, especially in pass protection. Sure hope we get Elflein back for the playoffs. Sirles struggled big-time today.
Took a ton of penalties, especially in that second half.

The line did have a nice day in the running game -- 147 yards rushing is solid. Nice day for Murray with 111, his season high.

Kind of got overlooked, but we ended up with more penalties (12 ... yikes!) than the Bears, even though the Bears had like 8 in the first 20 minutes of the game. Absolutely MUST clean that up.

Let's get healthy and get ready to roll.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:
Dominant defense yet still felt like we kept them in it. The Bears do have a good defense.

70% Bad Case in this one (IMO).

Penalties were stupid.

Offense was meh. Diggs/AT were solid.

Good on Waynes. He's turning it around in a big way.

Let's get healthy and come out swinging in a couple weeks.

(Case still makes me nervous).

I thought Case was fine. He underthrew a few deep passes and he needs to connect on those but even several of those underthrown balls resulted in PI calls.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm
Career Elite Player

Our third down defense today was 1-12 (or 11-12 stops, if you want to read it that way). That makes us 51-202 for the season, a percentage of 25.2%. That's historically good! Lots of solid defenses (Ravens, Broncos in their Superbowl years) that won it all for anemic offenses were in the low 30's for a third-down conversion rate.

People always used the 1991 Saints as the gold standard for third-down defense, at 26.1%, and that was back in 1991. Even with the liberalization of passing rules, the Vikings results are stronger than that. Best defense in more than a quarter century!

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:33 pm
Fenrir

John_Viveiros wrote:
Our third down defense today was 1-12 (or 11-12 stops, if you want to read it that way). That makes us 51-202 for the season, a percentage of 25.2%. That's historically good! Lots of solid defenses (Ravens, Broncos in their Superbowl years) that won it all for anemic offenses were in the low 30's for a third-down conversion rate.

People always used the 1991 Saints as the gold standard for third-down defense, at 26.1%, and that was back in 1991. Even with the liberalization of passing rules, the Vikings results are stronger than that. Best defense in more than a quarter century!

That's an amazing stat!

Can you imagine how good they would be if we had a pro bowl safety? :gone:

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Transition Player

S197 wrote:
John_Viveiros wrote:

That's an amazing stat!

Can you imagine how good they would be if we had a pro bowl safety? :gone:

Lol I agree. That stat is unreal. :rock: And if they keep commiting so many penalties it will cost them in the playoffs.

Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:45 pm
All Pro Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I don't think Case missed too many throws though. There were some terrible penalties on the OL that wrecked some good drives. Case wasn't perfect but I just don't think he was that bad either.

We had 12 Penalties and I think 9 were on the offense. Which is BS this late in the season. No reason to hold.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 pm
Career Elite Player

Snoozer, though I started to get slightly nervous before that last goal line stand by the Vikes.

A bye week is so nice now. No stress next weekend.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:08 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Cam Newton is having an awful game. I'm surprised Carolina has as many wins as they do.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Transition Player

The Falcons and the Saints are the two teams that worry me most.

The Falcons because you know they’re capable (because they were there last year), you know they’re hungry (because of what happened last year), and they seem to be playing their best football of the year at the right time.

They Saints because they just seem to have the right recipe of offence & defense this year, and they have the QB with experience.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:38 pm
Hall of Famer

What a season. I never imagined them being 13-3 this year even with Bradford and Cook.

I gotta say I was nervous as hell watching the 4th. I could not happen but think of how they could choke it away haha.

Three things I am concerned about going forward: Offensive line depth, penalties (wayyyy too many today), and our pass rush (it seems to have really disappeared as of late).

We will need to perform better on offense and special teams moving forward. Looking forward to the playoffs. SKOL!!!

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:46 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

The penalties concern me most. It seems like we have had way too many really bad penalties lately.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

While Case hasn't played bad, his decline in play over the last few weeks has to be concerning heading into the playoffs. With the injuries to the O line, their play isn't going to be what it was when he was setting the league on fire. I'm not sure we can say it's the play calling, because we don't know the play, all we see is the result. His inability to connect on the deep ball in recent weeks is particularly concerning. Teams are going to start playing the short and intermediate routes

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:12 pm
Fenrir

Brian Robison got his 60th sack today

Joe "retirement" Berger is the only lineman to have started all 16 games

Quigley finished the season with 0 touchbacks. Only second punter to accomplish this since stat has been tracked (1991)

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:15 pm
Transition Player

I'm most concerned about our offense. I feel like we may run into a team that this defense will hold to 18 points and we would still lose. Offense needs to step up. We won't always be playing GB and Chi. Way to many at the 50 that stall out into punts today. That won't cut it against ATL and Saints.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Seahawks were already eliminated but Blair Walsh missed a fg for the win against AZ

Happy about the regular season, but nervous as heck for the playoffs. NO scares me even though they lost to the bucs

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:49 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Crax wrote:
Seahawks were already eliminated but Blair Walsh missed a fg for the win against AZ

Happy about the regular season, but nervous as heck for the playoffs. NO scares me even though they lost to the bucs
Lol at Walsh. NO scares me more since they lost to TB. I don't want to face them in the playoffs.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote:
While Case hasn't played bad, his decline in play over the last few weeks has to be concerning heading into the playoffs. With the injuries to the O line, their play isn't going to be what it was when he was setting the league on fire. I'm not sure we can say it's the play calling, because we don't know the play, all we see is the result. His inability to connect on the deep ball in recent weeks is particularly concerning. Teams are going to start playing the short and intermediate routes

So a 101.1 rating worries you?

Look guys, except for Favre in 2009, we've had very little good quarterback play in the past 20 years. Daunte Culpepper in 2004, Favre in 2009, and maybe Randall Cunningham in 1998 are the only quarterbacks in that time to have better seasons than Case Keenum had this year.

So when Keenum was making those spectacular plays earlier this season, we all fell in love with it. But the real strength of Keenum's game has been taking care of the football. Just seven interceptions and ONE fumble in 15 games played. That's simply outstanding. The deep balls have waned recently, but that's not what the Minnesota Vikings do best. What sets the Vikings apart offensively is their ability to go on long, clock-eating drives. Looking at today's game, we had a 10-minute time-of-possession advantage -- even though it wasn't a great performance offensively. That keeps our ferocious defense fresh and turns field position in our favor consistently. Keenum's good decision making is a big reason we dominate the clock so much. When we lose yardage on first down, he doesn't panic and try to get it all back at once. That puts us A LOT in third-and-manageable. We're also the best in the NFL at converting third and 6-to-9. Again, that's good decision making.

Let's remember, the starting offensive line has been together for a whole 15 plays since October. Before all the injuries, you guys may recall that Keenum was being sacked at a historically low rate. He's been under more pressure lately, and while he's good under pressure, that will always affect the downfield passing game.

I'm looking forward to the offensive line being ready to go (minus Easton, of course) for the Divisional round. That's going to help a lot. Hopefully Rudolph will be back to full strength, which will also help. I think we're going to be fine. I believe it's going to take 23 or more points to beat us in the playoffs. All I can say to opponents is "good luck with that." We've given up 12.5 points per game at home. The most any opponent has scored at USB was the 19 points the Saints put up on opening night, and that game was 29-12 until the Saints got a meaningless TD in the last two minutes of garbage time.

Case needs to take care of the football, make plays when they're there, and let the defense dominate. It's not sexy, but guys ... we're 13-3, and (I believe) the best team in the NFC. I'll take it.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:10 pm
Career Elite Player

S197 wrote:
Brian Robison got his 60th sack today

Joe "retirement" Berger is the only lineman to have started all 16 games

Quigley finished the season with 0 touchbacks. Only second punter to accomplish this since stat has been tracked (1991)

Very cool stat for Quigley there.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:21 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

The gripe I have about the offense is how they stopped going down field with the ball. That isn't their style, but it worked. It seems like they have gjne into a shell the last few weeks and it is a bit concerning.
With that said, I will take this 13-3 team over the 15-1 1998 team any day.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Case needs to take care of the football, make plays when they're there, and let the defense dominate. It's not sexy, but guys ... we're 13-3, and (I believe) the best team in the NFC. I'll take it.

I agree Kapp. I dont care how "sexy" it looks getting there. Just hoist that trophy!

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 pm
Career Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:
The gripe I have about the offense is how they stopped going down field with the ball. That isn't their style, but it worked. It seems like they have gjne into a shell the last few weeks and it is a bit concerning.

Noticed the same. I was actually pretty disappointed in their performance against GB last week. I'm giving the O and Shurmur the benefit of the doubt because they probably had a more, get in and get out game plan these last two games.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 pm
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:

I love this team. I can't think of a team I've enjoyed more, at least not since the Bud Grant days.

Actually, they remind me of Bud's teams. Their motto was "40 for 60," which was 40 guys playing for each other for 60 minutes. That's what I see with these Vikings. They play for each other. It's a far cry from the days of the "Randy Ratio" and the KAO.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:

While a 101.1 passer rating sounds impressive, it doesn't tell the whole story. He has averaged less than 200 yards per game the last 3 games against 3 teams with nothing to play for. We will all watch the game differently, but he hasn't looked very impressive to me recently. The Easton injury will be felt because no QB likes pressure up the middle and I'm not sure sirles is am adequate replacement. If we have to play the rams again, I would be concerned about the match up with Aaron Donald. A lot of people might not remember the rams were without their top CBs when we played them and it was 7-7 going into the 4th quarter. In order for the Vikings to win a championship, Case is going to have to play better.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:47 am
Hall of Famer

MrPurplenGold wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:

While a 101.1 passer rating sounds impressive, it doesn't tell the whole story. He has averaged less than 200 yards per game the last 3 games against 3 teams with nothing to play for. We will all watch the game differently, but he hasn't looked very impressive to me recently. The Easton injury will be felt because no QB likes pressure up the middle and I'm not sure sirles is am adequate replacement. If we have to play the rams again, I would be concerned about the match up with Aaron Donald. A lot of people might not remember the rams were without their top CBs when we played them and it was 7-7 going into the 4th quarter. In order for the Vikings to win a championship, Case is going to have to play better.

This is the same way I feel. Case was not all that good the last 2 games. I know the play calling was as conservative as can be, but Case is too afraid to throwing the ball to the wrong team, instead of focusing on hitting the receivers in full stride sometimes. Teddy played that way too. You have to trust in yourself, like Brady does, and make those throws. I trust Case. I know he doesnt have a strong arm, but its stronger then he has shown the last 14 days. And again, i do NOT want to see Sam in any of these games unless Case is hurt. I trust if some of Cases's passes and reads that he misses an open receiver, will be fixed. I have zero trust in Sam. Hated that trade.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:52 am
Hall of Famer

From what I've seen, the offense has struggled to pass protect, at least consistently, the last few weeks. Injuries, or their after-effects, likely have something to do with that. But penalties have also hurt the team. Lots of holding calls after positive plays, for example, or false starts at home. And then there were a lot of batted passes this last game. So they need to clean up the execution part of the offense because that has hurt them.

I also think a big part of it is the willingness to be aggressive and go down the field. Case does take some shots, but I think he has also missed some opportunities to hurt defenses deeper down the field. Maybe he is just trying to avoid making mistakes that hurt the team, and I can understand why he might not be as aggressive, but I think he's going to have to stay aggressive if the Vikings are going to win it all.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:52 am
Backup

MrPurplenGold wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
MrPurplenGold wrote:

In his defense, the low yardage in the Cincinnati game was due to a low number of passes. He was averaging 10+ yards per attempt which is very high. For the Green Bay game, I'm willing to cut him some slack because of how damn cold it was outside, which almost always results in poor performances from quarterbacks. However, yesterday's game was a little more concerning to me since it was in the dome, but it may have just been intentionally playing conservative as we don't exactly need him to be a gunslinger in order to beat the Bears.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next