Shurmer ready for head coach interviews

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Shurmer ready for head coach interviews

Post by dead_poet »

Deserving but I'd hate to lose him.

https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/28/w ... ssion=true
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Shurmer ready for head coach interviews

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We all knew this was coming. Who is his main assistant? Hopefully he was taking notes. I doubt Edwards goes anywhere, the D is as good as it is because of Zimmer.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I trust Zimmer to hire a good replacement if he needs to. It would be preferable to get someone with experience calling plays imo. What about Hue Jackson?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maelstrom88 wrote:I trust Zimmer to hire a good replacement if he needs to. It would be preferable to get someone with experience calling plays imo. What about Hue Jackson?
Does Jackson have experience in this offense? I don't want to change too much, especially since it is working so well for Keenum.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Does Jackson have experience in this offense? I don't want to change too much, especially since it is working so well for Keenum.

A new OC would bring his own system.

I'd welcome Hugh if he's let go by Cleveland, but there's nothing indicating he'll be fired after the year. They chose to keep him over their front office. I'm guessing he gets another year to show some improvement.

I'm not as confident in Zimmer's choice of OC (remember Norv?). Feels like we lucked into Shurmer after Norv left.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Tony Sparano? That offensive line looking good.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote:Tony Sparano? That offensive line looking good.

I had the same thought but I'd much rather keep him where he can devote all of his focus on the line.
mael·strom

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote:
I had the same thought but I'd much rather keep him where he can devote all of his focus on the line.
If another team doesn't also like what he's done and he gets grabbed away too lol
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

What possibilities are there? I've heard 13 coaches could be fired. Anyone of those a choice?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Cliff wrote:Tony Sparano? That offensive line looking good.
Of all of our coaches, he is the one I would least want calling an offensive game. I feel like he would be too run-oriented and too conservative. When he was the Jets OC, they ranked 30th in total offense.

We really need someone who will continue to run a West Coast offense. My in house choice would be Kevin Stefanski. If not, we could look at someone like Greg Olson (QB coach in LA), John DeFlippo (QB coach in Philly), Joe Lombardi (QB coach from New Orleans). '

A lot of options out there. I won't worry about it until the end of the season and if/when Shurmur leaves.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Of all of our coaches, he is the one I would least want calling an offensive game. I feel like he would be too run-oriented and too conservative. When he was the Jets OC, they ranked 30th in total offense.

We really need someone who will continue to run a West Coast offense. My in house choice would be Kevin Stefanski. If not, we could look at someone like Greg Olson (QB coach in LA), John DeFlippo (QB coach in Philly), Joe Lombardi (QB coach from New Orleans). '

A lot of options out there. I won't worry about it until the end of the season and if/when Shurmur leaves.

Good post. I would be fine with any of the replace my options you listed.
mael·strom

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Hue Jackson would be great. I was rooting for him as a HC, but I don't think he's built for that life. As an OC though, there aren't many better. He'd keep Keenum rolling.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PacificNorseWest wrote:Hue Jackson would be great. I was rooting for him as a HC, but I don't think he's built for that life. As an OC though, there aren't many better. He'd keep Keenum rolling.
Just as a side note, can you imagine having a 1-31 record in two seasons? Cleveland defense is good, it surprises me that they didn't win a game this season.

Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Cleveland defense is good, it surprises me that they didn't win a game this season.
I know right. I kept picking Cleveland in the pick 4 because their defense is good enough that I thought they'd win a few games... No such luck.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Sounds like about 8 coaches will be out of a job after this week.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!