It's time to give Case Keenum his due

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: But he even said it is uncharted territory for him, and who knows how he will play.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
That's my concern.

I've reviewed some of his better and worse games and (unsurprisingly) the better the line holds up the better he is.

Easton was solid in pass protection. I worry the downgrade we see there will be more of an issue to the offensive production than has been discussed. Interior pressure is death. He's been great at climbing the pocket to avoid sacks. But when they come from the interior, the results are usually a sack.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: But he even said it is uncharted territory for him, and who knows how he will play.

That's my concern.

I've reviewed some of his better and worse games and (unsurprisingly) the better the line holds up the better he is.

Easton was solid in pass protection. I worry the downgrade we see there will be more of an issue to the offensive production than has been discussed. Interior pressure is death. He's been great at climbing the pocket to avoid sacks. But when they come from the interior, the results are usually a sack.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:I'll say it: postseason Case scares me.
Postseason Vikings scare me period. Zimmer is basically just as unknown as Case in the playoffs. Thus far he's made one appearance for the Vikings and that was a loss (even if only by a last minute field goal miss). Before that it's not stellar either though.

His defense in the playoffs over the last 10 years;
  • Bengals 2009 @ home against Jets - Gave up 171 rushing yards and 2 TDs. Allowed 12/15 182 yards 1TD/0INT to Mark Sanchez. 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FFs, lost 24-14 in the Wildcard round.
  • Bengals 2011 @ Houston - Gave up 188 rushing yards and 2TDs. Passing game was ok; 11/20, 159 yards 1TD/0INT to T.J. Yates. 2 sacks, 0 INTS, 0 FFs Lost 31 - 10 in Wildcard round.
  • Bengals 2012 @ Houston - Gave up 158 Rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. Matt Schaub went 29/38 for 262 yards 0TD/1INT. 0 Sacks, 1 INT, 0 FFs
  • Bengals 2013 @ Home against Chargers - gave up 196 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs. Rivers went 12/16 for 128 yards and 1TD/0INT. 1 sack, 0 INT, 0 FFs
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I just heard Bradford showed up to practice

Oh lord ... there going to find a way to screw
this up
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Updated the numbers. Added TD and Int percentage, game W/L and Wilson.

Games, Nov 12th through Dec. 25th. (Wilson is Nov 9th. They had a bye on he 12th)

Code: Select all

Com   Att   Per   Yards    TD's  TD %   Ints   INT %   YPA      W/L
Keenum    155   219   70.8%   1748    14   6.4%    4     1.8%    8.0      6-1
Brady     161   235   68.5%   1846    14   6.0%    6     2.6%    7.9      6-1
Bortles   161   255   63.1%   1872    11   4.3%    6     2.4%    7.3      5-2
Goff      149   233   63.9%   1774    15   6.4%    3     1.3%    7.6      5-2
Roeth     192   286   67.1%   1985    18   6.3%    6     2.1%    6.9      6-1
Wilson    133   221   60.2%   1475    15   6.8%    5     2.0%    6.6      5-2
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The concern here with Keenum is that he is missing these throws in the home stretch of the season. While the Rams, Panthers and Saints are hitting their stride right at playoff time, the Vikings are showing a few cracks on offense. Their pass pro has not been as good and as a result, Keenum is a bit more antsy in the pocket. Keenum has also been just generally a bit less accurate. Receivers are dropping balls a bit more often. But hitting big plays would go a long way to making up for offensive deficiencies.
Keenum’s Deep Throws Have to Improve

With this defense, it may not matter. But it also may be the difference between reaching the SB and not.

Vikings can't keep getting bailed out with PI calls or dropped interceptions. Keenum will need to up his game in the playoffs.

Love his pocket awareness, fight, leadership, no fear attitude. He needs to starting hitting the open deep man.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote: Keenum’s Deep Throws Have to Improve

With this defense, it may not matter. But it also may be the difference between reaching the SB and not.

Vikings can't keep getting bailed out with PI calls or dropped interceptions. Keenum will need to up his game in the playoffs.

Love his pocket awareness, fight, leadership, no fear attitude. He needs to starting hitting the open deep man.
I agree, but if he hasn't yet, he likely won't. He's very accurate on the move, so maybe do more of that.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

I am all in on the Case Keenum fan club. The guy has been impressive and is going to be the next Drew Brees, he is a LEADER!
From the Fjords of ValHalla
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

TeamChaplain wrote: is going to be the next Drew Brees
:shock:

:gone:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

dead_poet wrote: :shock:

:gone:
:point: I like what Case has done this year but the next Drew Brees?! Give me what you're having.. :ripple:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

TeamChaplain wrote:I am all in on the Case Keenum fan club. The guy has been impressive and is going to be the next Drew Brees, he is a LEADER!
https://screenshots.firefox.com/ejVfODR ... google.com

Here are Drew Brees Career Stats, I honestly don't think my statement is much of a reach, it could be a reach, but hey no one really knows.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

If someone offers Keenum a stupid amount of money this offseason, what are everyone's thoughts on Alex Smith? Since my brother is a Chief's fan, I've seen him play in person several times. I think he has a similar skill set to Keenum with a better long ball. Obviously we should be drafting for a long term solution but as a contingency, I think he would be a pretty good fit.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

TeamChaplain wrote: https://screenshots.firefox.com/ejVfODR ... google.com

Here are Drew Brees Career Stats, I honestly don't think my statement is much of a reach, it could be a reach, but hey no one really knows.
For all you guys busting on this comment, actually click on the link and look at the stats from Drew Brees' first five years.

They're eerily similar to Case's. As a matter of fact, Case's are better.

I'm not saying Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But their paths are similar. Brees was in a situation in San Diego where he wasn't really flourishing. Then he went to New Orleans, got with the right coach, and made a career for himself. Case was in bad situations with the Texans and Rams, and now he's in a good situation in Minnesota. Both are somewhat undersized. Neither has a cannon, but both are leaders. Again, I'm not saying Case Keenum is a Hall-of-Famer. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him move forward with the confidence of this year to forge a nice career for himself. And if he does, I'd rather it be as a Viking than with some team that might beat the Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: For all you guys busting on this comment, actually click on the link and look at the stats from Drew Brees' first five years.

They're eerily similar to Case's. As a matter of fact, Case's are better.

I'm not saying Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But their paths are similar. Brees was in a situation in San Diego where he wasn't really flourishing. Then he went to New Orleans, got with the right coach, and made a career for himself. Case was in bad situations with the Texans and Rams, and now he's in a good situation in Minnesota. Both are somewhat undersized. Neither has a cannon, but both are leaders. Again, I'm not saying Case Keenum is a Hall-of-Famer. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him move forward with the confidence of this year to forge a nice career for himself. And if he does, I'd rather it be as a Viking than with some team that might beat the Vikings.
I agree. I was surprised to see how similar their stats were.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

S197 wrote:If someone offers Keenum a stupid amount of money this offseason, what are everyone's thoughts on Alex Smith? Since my brother is a Chief's fan, I've seen him play in person several times. I think he has a similar skill set to Keenum with a better long ball. Obviously we should be drafting for a long term solution but as a contingency, I think he would be a pretty good fit.
I'd be cool with Smith. I wouldn't feel comfortable breaking the bank for keenum, Smith, or cousins though. I hope they draft one in the first 4 rounds.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.