Doomed by a magical season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Doomed by a magical season

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Week 1..
We are all pleasantly surprised that "Wow, this offense looks like it can possibly do special things". Sam Bradford comes out, slings a couple TD's. Dalvin shows flashes of his elite potential. Our defense handles the Saints, and we're left with a beautiful 1-0 to start the season.

Then monday happened.. Sam Bradford is questionable with a knee bruise, and everyone's thinking the same thing.. Is this guy with 2 ACL's about to show us why he couldn't find a home as a number 1 overall pick? Sure enough, as each week progressed, our greatest fears were confirmed.. "F*ck, I guess we have Keenum".

Week 2..
We came crashing back to reality. Without our QB we traded a 1st-rounder for last season, we go into Pittsburg and just get out-classed (except Xav). We now have a look at Keenum, and its not good... Not good at all. Coming out of week 2 were 1-1 and the season's prospects are looking bleak.

Fast forward 2 weeks..
Dalvin Cook, out for the year with an ACL. Latavius, is looking like his feet are carrying cement blocks, coming off of his ankle injury. We beat the Bucs at home, but then lose to the Lions - a true gut-wrencher for any Vikings Fan, especially 14-9 at home. Were 2-2. We've now accepted that Sam probably is going to be dealing with this all year, and that magic from week 1 is all but lost. Without Dalvin to take the pressure off, it looks like our defense is going to have to be elite, just to break even on the year.

Fast forward 12 weeks. Case Keenum has led the Minnesota Vikings on a 10-1 run. Our defense has overtaken (the overrated) Jacksonville defense for #1 in scoring. We also happened to overtake the Denver D for #1 in yards allowed. But we all secretly expected a #1 Defense, after getting to know Zim. But perhaps the most surprising thing of all is how our offense-behind Case Keenum-has taken shape throughout the course of the season. Top-10 in scoring, Top-10 in yardage, Top-10 in explosive plays. This is foreign territory for us, since The ol' gunslinger took us all on his magical carpet ride in '09. We are 1 game away from clinching a bye, and as of Sunday, 24th of December- we're still alive for homefield advantage. 3-1 against the existing NFC playoff teams. It all seems a bit too good to be true...

Now.. I don't have the years that some of you old-timers have. I didn't have the pleasure (or misfortune) to have been around since the 60's. I have been a fan since 1997. But even in my 20 years of fandom, our Vikings have given me plenty of tastes as to what it really means to be a Vikings fan. Gary Anderson, 40 pts at the hands of the G-men, 12-men in the huddle, Blair Walsh from 27.... It seems as though no matter when you became a fan, the experience is the same.

This year is largely no different. This is the best complete team I ever remember seeing in a Viking's uniform. To think back during week 4, when were 2-2 - Sam gone, Dalvin gone. No one on earth would have put up the mortgage to herald us as a 13-3 team at season's end. But its happening. Even if Philly clinches homefield, I still believe that the road to the Superbowl runs through Minneapolis, and not just because we host the superbowl. I view Philly's (inevitable) clinching of homefield, as inconsequential. I see any and all of the wildcard teams beating a Nick Foles-Led Eagles team, which would mean we have the de-facto homefield advantage.... And I become a LOT LESS NERVOUS to play any playoff team at US BANK stadium.. But as Vikings fans, we all know- things are never as they seem... Now depending on the cruelty of the football gods, it is evident that we will either see a 1-and-done, another gut-wrenching NFC championship loss, or Ragnar forbid- a home superbowl loss..

Now I know this very well in my heart, as do most of you. And we should just be happy with the season in and of itself. Just taking a moment to appreciate the magic that has taken place right in front of our unsuspecting eyes. All of us know that this thing isn't going to pan out, because this is who the Vikings are. This is what it means to be a Viking. An amazing run that captures all of our hearts, and then JUST comes up short in the end..

But you know what? After 20 years, I still haven't learned my lesson.. and GOD DAMNIT- I STILL BELIEVE.

SKOL VIKINGS... WE'RE BRINGING THE TROPHY HOME!!!!!

***PS.***

Please refrain from posting this after our playoff exit:
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Demarates
Backup

Re: Doomed by a magical season

Post by Demarates »

Well, obviously the fear of messing it up in the homestretch is pretty big. My biggest fear is a key injury in next week's game. Keenum, Thielen, Diggs, McKinnon, Rudolph, Rhodes,... :shock:

But beyond that, what is gonna stop us ? Which team is better on both sides of the ball ?

We should face the Saints in the first game, at home. But we already beat them at the Superdome 29-19. Solid offense, but their defense will not hold up.

Next up : LA Rams, at home. Last time that happened we whooped them good. 24-7. A good enough team, but if you can take Gurley out of the equasion (and we can), then Goff isn't going to cut it against our D.

Then comes the big show, against New England, once more at home. This team simply does not have the defense to stop us.

OK, maybe the Pats won't even make it there. But who do we get then, Jacksonville with "Trash" Bortles or Pittsburgh sans Brown Tony. These are teams we can beat. These are teams we WILL beat.

Because this is our year. :rock:
Tene Quod Bene
slapnut19
Transition Player

Post by slapnut19 »

there is something different about this season. 1998 and 2009 were great seasons, but both were built on things that couldn't be sustained. as good as this season has been there really hasn't been an area of greatness on either side of the ball. we have just had really good solid play from every aspect of the team and we really don't have any weaknesses. this team is built to win in the playoffs and i think this could be the group that gets us to the superbowl.
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Week 1..
... Our defense handles the Saints, and we're left with a beautiful 1-0 to start the season.

Then monday happened.. Sam Bradford is questionable with a knee bruise....
Bit of a nitpick, but of course the Week 1 win over New Orleans already was on a Monday.

After winning NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Saints, Bradford underwent an MRI on Tuesday, September 12, and Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter reported the bad news to the world on Friday, the 15th. Then, of course, Keenum was a last-minute starter in Pittsburgh on the 17th.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

I bet Adrian Peterson is beside himself. *thinking I really should have restructured my contract*
From the Fjords of ValHalla
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

TeamChaplain wrote:I bet Adrian Peterson is beside himself. *thinking I really should have restructured my contract*
I dunno, I imagine if we kept Adrian Peterson we more than likely would be having a much worse record than we have now, somewhere in the 6-9 win range.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

Rhodes Closed wrote: I dunno, I imagine if we kept Adrian Peterson we more than likely would be having a much worse record than we have now, somewhere in the 6-9 win range.

I just think it's hilarious that because of money, Adrian passed on this type of opportunity and that two teams that he was on are now on playoff runs.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

84BreaksAnkles wrote: Now I know this very well in my heart, as do most of you. And we should just be happy with the season in and of itself. Just taking a moment to appreciate the magic that has taken place right in front of our unsuspecting eyes. All of us know that this thing isn't going to pan out, because this is who the Vikings are. This is what it means to be a Viking. An amazing run that captures all of our hearts, and then JUST comes up short in the end..
This is where my head is, and I keep trying to tell myself "this year will be different ... it has to be!"

Please, it has to be different.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

The more and more I look at our situation (If we win tomorrow), the more and more excited I become.
I really fear none of these teams at home. And regardless if Philly wins and we have to go there, or if whoever else wins and they come to Minnesota.....
I just am lacking the normal/usual/typical fear of a Vikings' choke, in my gut.

#BELIEVE
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

84BreaksAnkles wrote:Now depending on the cruelty of the football gods, it is evident that we will either see a 1-and-done, another gut-wrenching NFC championship loss, or Ragnar forbid- a home superbowl loss..
Wow, I truly underestimated the cruelty with which the football gods treat with us...

They give us a literal miracle.. One of the greatest in football history..... Just so we can invest what little we have left of our already-depleted hope reservoirs, and then watch our beloved team crumble- either 1 game short, or at home in front of the world.

Sigh... the football gods are indeed cruel. And with this cruel miracle, we will indeed drain to the dregs the cup of woe that the football gods have filled for us. Either in Philadelphia (preferred), or if we do find a way to go on the road and pull off an extremely improbable victory (I don't give a sh*t what the spread says, we Vikings fans know what the reality of our prospects are this sunday..), then we get to come home and fall short on the highest possible stage, for all the marbles.

Let's be honest with ourselves, the Eagles matchup is terrifying after that.... I could see a brighter outlook, if we continued on from the first half and dominated the Saints to close the game out. But the effort put forth tonight, will undoubtedly exhaust this team psychologically. This seems to me, like the peak and height of the season. I hope I am wrong there, but we look over at the AFC..... meanwhile, New England is just on cruise control and it looks like they just beat the Browns in week 3 of a regular season. They are saving their peak for the ultimate right time. (like true veteran champs)

I hate to be that guy.. Especially after this miracle.
But each and everyone of you know that you have had this feeling at some time throughout the season:
"Wow, I really can't believe I'm allowing myself to believe that this team might be different. This might be the team that could change things for this franchise."
Then all throughout the second half of the game last night, every single one of you had this feeling:
"Wow, even with a coach I love, and all these players that are completely different than any other team we've had before, this is the exact same thing we see every time...

The exact same disbelief at ineptitude. The exact same gut-wrenching mistakes. The exact same inability to put the game out of reach decisively (on multiple occassions). The exact same way we always find to let it slip through our fingers yet again. Only, this time we finally had luck on our side for once.

But I think we all know what's going to happen.. If not this Sunday, then in 3 weeks.
Do what you must, to come to terms with this, so that it stings less when it happens. Each (wo)man will handle adversity in his(her) heart differently. But if he(she) is prepared, he(she) can more suitably deal with the reality when it has to be faced.
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Too soon, man.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Fing Drew Brees, man.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

84BreaksAnkles wrote: Wow, I truly underestimated the cruelty with which the football gods treat with us...

They give us a literal miracle.. One of the greatest in football history..... Just so we can invest what little we have left of our already-depleted hope reservoirs, and then watch our beloved team crumble- either 1 game short, or at home in front of the world.

Sigh... the football gods are indeed cruel. And with this cruel miracle, we will indeed drain to the dregs the cup of woe that the football gods have filled for us. Either in Philadelphia (preferred), or if we do find a way to go on the road and pull off an extremely improbable victory (I don't give a sh*t what the spread says, we Vikings fans know what the reality of our prospects are this sunday..), then we get to come home and fall short on the highest possible stage, for all the marbles.

Let's be honest with ourselves, the Eagles matchup is terrifying after that.... I could see a brighter outlook, if we continued on from the first half and dominated the Saints to close the game out. But the effort put forth tonight, will undoubtedly exhaust this team psychologically. This seems to me, like the peak and height of the season. I hope I am wrong there, but we look over at the AFC..... meanwhile, New England is just on cruise control and it looks like they just beat the Browns in week 3 of a regular season. They are saving their peak for the ultimate right time. (like true veteran champs)

I hate to be that guy.. Especially after this miracle.
But each and everyone of you know that you have had this feeling at some time throughout the season:
"Wow, I really can't believe I'm allowing myself to believe that this team might be different. This might be the team that could change things for this franchise."
Then all throughout the second half of the game last night, every single one of you had this feeling:
"Wow, even with a coach I love, and all these players that are completely different than any other team we've had before, this is the exact same thing we see every time...

The exact same disbelief at ineptitude. The exact same gut-wrenching mistakes. The exact same inability to put the game out of reach decisively (on multiple occassions). The exact same way we always find to let it slip through our fingers yet again. Only, this time we finally had luck on our side for once.

But I think we all know what's going to happen.. If not this Sunday, then in 3 weeks.
Do what you must, to come to terms with this, so that it stings less when it happens. Each (wo)man will handle adversity in his(her) heart differently. But if he(she) is prepared, he(she) can more suitably deal with the reality when it has to be faced.
So you go from no fear to "we all know what's going to happen" in the span of 24 hours?

You need therapy, man.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

84BreaksAnkles wrote: Then all throughout the second half of the game last night, every single one of you had this feeling:
Only...It didn't happen! Oh it happened. But not to the Vikings. The Vikings don't win games in this fashion. The Vikings lose games this way. But they didn't lose. We are living in bizarre world my friend. Everything you think you know is wrong. :smilevike:
84BreaksAnkles wrote:The exact same disbelief at ineptitude. The exact same gut-wrenching mistakes. The exact same inability to put the game out of reach decisively (on multiple occassions). The exact same way we always find to let it slip through our fingers yet again. Only, this time we finally had luck on our side for one.
Luck is when preparation and opportunity meet... Skol! :v):
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

I'm honestly glad we got our #### kicked today. It would have been much harder to swallow either a hard-faught heartbreaker in Philly, or god forbid watching TB12 carve up our defense to give him his 6th ring on our home field.

Yes, the football gods are cruel. Especially after the Miracle, and the whole bring it home rally. But, on the bright side, they weren't totally as cruel as they could possibly have been.

I will never stop being a fan. But I will promise myself after this season, that NEVER AGAIN, will I allow myself to feel hope and start to believe that "Wow, maybe this really is our year".

Magical season indeed. 2-2 start. Bradford down. Dalvin down. Keenum in. 13-3. #1 Defense in points allowed/yards allowed. Minneapolis Miracle. 38-7. Greedily, I know we all wanted more. But honestly, this season was a pleasure to watch, and we showed what we can eventually become with more hard work, and a few pieces here and there. Lets not let this horrific ending sour a season that never should have been in the first place.

The big thing that worries me moving forward is our QB.. But we'll save that for another thread.

Cheers to 2017. SKOL. Good run boys and girls.
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"