View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Playoff scenarios 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Playoff scenarios
Just Me wrote:
TheCoolerOne wrote:
I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

We already did play against Rodgers (and won). It's not our fault he made a less-than-wise decision against this defense and decided to scramble outside the pocket while not throwing the ball away right away. Had he thrown the ball away when he first got outside the pocket, he probably wouldn't have been injured. I don't look at the fact that we knocked Rodgers out of the game (cleanly I might add) early in that game as somehow equating to the Vikings "only facing the backup." I look at it that the Packer's brought their best and limped away as a shell of their previous team when they got "cocky" on their offense.

So I'm neither bummed or happy. I don't think it makes any difference who the Pack play as quarterback in terms of the final outcome of this game.

And the Vikings QB and RB's. Yeah starters. People forget that Keenum was signed as a backup and the the Vikings number one back is on IR.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:43 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

TheCoolerOne wrote:
Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?

In the Falcons game, Julio Jones was as good as inactive, but the difference is he wasn't. Our team made him inactive, on the field. That's way more impressive, and fun, than him not playing because of a sore hip.

I don't get this. There's no excitement or obsession. Zeurlein out could shape the playoffs.

But to the point you're trying to make, I could care less if the other team is at its best or not. History doesn't care.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 pm
Hall of Famer

TheCoolerOne wrote:
Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

I already know how good we are. The improbable 4-1 record in the past 5 games tells me all I need to know.

TheCoolerOne wrote:
If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?

Because ... they're a good team, and sometimes good teams have a chance to win?

TheCoolerOne wrote:
In the Falcons game, Julio Jones was as good as inactive, but the difference is he wasn't. Our team made him inactive, on the field. That's way more impressive, and fun, than him not playing because of a sore hip.

"More impressive and fun." Interesting take.

Let me put it this way. I've been waiting for the Vikings to win a championship since I was 9 years old, which was 1969. If we somehow manage to win it this year, I won't care if Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, their backups, or somebody's pet mule is playing quarterback for the other team.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:25 pm
Commissioner

Saints' S Kenny Vaccaro placed on IR.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:50 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
Saints' S Kenny Vacaro placed on IR

You can say that again. :wink:

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:03 pm
Commissioner

Just Me wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Saints' S Kenny Vacaro placed on IR

You can say that again. :wink:

Bahh. Stupid double post.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:20 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

It's OK, it happens to the best of us.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
OK, here's an absolute stunner. Watch who Colin Cowherd puts as the best team in the NFL.

(Hint: They wear purple, and they're not the Ravens.)

I think Cowherd says things just for shock value. Just a couple of weeks ago, he was saying the Vikings are just a good regular season team. Lots of good 'B' players but no 'A' players that can make the big plays during the playoffs.
Outside of Thielen, Diggs, Linval, Griffen, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Xavier, and Hitman....he's right.

/s

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:44 pm
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:

:point:

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:50 pm
All Pro Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:

Hey there is always:

or there is:

Saints' S Kenny V ... (sh*t)

Take your pick

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 pm
Fenrir

The path is pretty clear now.

For #1 Seed
Vikings beat Bears AND Philly loses both games

For #2 Seed
Vikings beat Bears, or
Panthers lose one, or
Saints win next two, or
Rams win next two

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:23 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Monday, I am a Raiders fan! Go Black and Silver. BTW, with their last game against the Cowboys with Elliot back............Prescott's passer rating is 20 points higher with Elliot in the back field.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 am
All Pro Elite Player

Figured I'd post this here since this is the playoff scenario thread. In order for the Vikings to get the #1 seed, the Eagles have to lose both games and the Vikings have to win next week against the Bears. If the Eagles win either game, the Vikings can not get the #1 seed.

To get the number two seed, the Vikings need to either beat the bears or have the Panthers lose one game.

Hypothetical situation:
Eagles beat the Raiders on Monday night (thus Vikings eliminated from #1 seed)
Panthers lose to Bucs today (thus clinching first round bye)

Do you sit some of the starters next week against the Bears (namely Case) because there is nothing to play for? Do you play the starters because having two weeks off could make them rusty plus it's a division game? Or, do you start the starters and pull them at scheduled times (i.e. end of 1st quarter, halftime) regardless of how the game is going?

Personally, I would start Teddy, no need to risk injury to Case, plus Teddy needs some field time just incase something happens in the playoffs. I would also rest about half of the defense. Other starters, mainly the O-Line, I would have playing and would pull them at the start of the third. Any player who is slightly injured would not play at all. Give them a little extra time to heal up before the Super Bowl push.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Fenrir

akvikingsfan wrote:
Figured I'd post this here since this is the playoff scenario thread. In order for the Vikings to get the #1 seed, the Eagles have to lose both games and the Vikings have to win next week against the Bears. If the Eagles win either game, the Vikings can not get the #1 seed.

To get the number two seed, the Vikings need to either beat the bears or have the Panthers lose one game.

Hypothetical situation:

Do you sit some of the starters next week against the Bears (namely Case) because there is nothing to play for? Do you play the starters because having two weeks off could make them rusty plus it's a division game? Or, do you start the starters and pull them at scheduled times (i.e. end of 1st quarter, halftime) regardless of how the game is going?

Personally, I would start Teddy, no need to risk injury to Case, plus Teddy needs some field time just incase something happens in the playoffs. I would also rest about half of the defense. Other starters, mainly the O-Line, I would have playing and would pull them at the start of the third. Any player who is slightly injured would not play at all. Give them a little extra time to heal up before the Super Bowl push.

I think you play it like a preseason game. Rest guys who are questionable, starters play a half or so, then transition in backups.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:16 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Falcons laying an egg so far. TB blowing away several opportunities against Carolina.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:21 pm
Transition Player

Is it better for us to have Saints win, to keep Carolina from winning division, or have them lose ?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:53 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:
akvikingsfan wrote:

Hypothetical situation:

I think you play it like a preseason game. Rest guys who are questionable, starters play a half or so, then transition in backups.
That's how I see it as well.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

Husker Vike wrote:
Is it better for us to have Saints win, to keep Carolina from winning division, or have them lose ?

Quote:
The Guarantees

TB @ CAR: If the Panthers lose today we clinch a first round bye. Cheer for the Bucs.

OAK @ PHI (Monday night): The only way Minnesota can get the #1 seed is if Philly loses their final 2 games and Minnesota wins next week. Cheer for the Raiders.

The Security Blankets (in case we #### the bed next week and lose to the Bears)

ATL @ NO: If the Saints win their final 2 games they would win the NFC South, cockblocking the Panthers from potentially leaping us for the #2 seed. Cheer for the Saints.

LAR @ TEN: If the Panthers win the NFC South and the Vikings/Rams/Panthers end up in a 3-way tie at 12-4, the Panthers' head-to-head win over us is negated and we would get the #2 seed. Thus, the Rams winning their final 2 games would clinch the #2 seed for us. Cheer for the Rams.

The "who would you rather see in the playoffs?"

DET @ CIN: Detroit lost to ATL, CAR, & NO, so their only chance to make the playoffs is to win out & have Atlanta lose out. A Lions loss eliminates them from contention. Toss up.

SEA @ DAL: This game may ultimately become meaningless, as it's a late afternoon game and if the Falcons & Panthers win earlier in the day both teams will be eliminated. The loser of this game is eliminated from playoff contention, the winner could stay alive but needs to also win week 17 and hope for 2 ATL losses and one Lions loss (either this week or next). Toss up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotavikin ... ing_guide/

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:26 pm
Veteran

Bucs leading. This is the most important game for me.

It's almost a guarantee that the Wentzless Eagles are a 1 and done team in the playoffs. So getting the 2nd seed means home field advantage thru out.

Panthers lose, Vikings should rest all the starters. Start planning for the playoffs.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:37 pm
Fenrir

Stupid bucs.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:04 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:
Stupid bucs.

35 seconds and 2 timeouts to get a field goal. There's still a chance.

Edit: whoops they only have 1 timeout

Edit 2: Nevermind.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Fenrir

Here's the scenario for a bye, if any ONE of these happen, Vikings get a bye with #2 seed:

Vikings beat Chicago
Rams beat 49ers
Saints beat Bucs
Falcons beat Panthers

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:23 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

S197 wrote:
Here's the scenario for a bye, if any ONE of these happen, Vikings get a bye with #2 seed:

Vikings beat Chicago
Rams beat 49ers
Saints beat Bucs
Falcons beat Panthers

And of course level up if we beat CHI *and* the Eagles lose two.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:10 pm
Transition Player

We will be no worse than a #3 seed if we lose, and the Saints lose, and the Panthers win .Much rather have the bye week.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:43 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

As long as the Vikings beat the Bears one of 3 teams will be coming to MN to play. Panther, Saints, or Rams. This is assuming the number 2 seed.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:15 pm
Hall of Famer

Will ATL have anything to play for against the Panthers next week?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 pm
Fenrir

PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Yup, one remaining playoff spot on the NFC side. It's either falcons or Seahawks.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:40 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

S197 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Yup, one remaining playoff spot on the NFC side. It's either falcons or Seahawks.

The only thing not set other than the 6th team is the seeding. Some of that may be taken care of tomorrow. Of course if the Raiders manage to beat the Eagles, then all seeds will be set next week. Helluva thing.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:50 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Guys.. I see a lot of fretting over the #1 seed and homefield advantage...

Honestly, I believe it is inconsequential. Philly with Nick Foles, needed an amazing game, and a lot of luck to beat the 2-13 Giants.
Bottom line for me, is that I see NO, LA, ATL, CAR, even SEA being able to go into Philly and end their season. So even if Philly manages to claw their way to victory against OAK or DAL, I don't think it bears as much weight as some would think. Even if Philly manages to win in round 2... I just feel like we can destroy that team.

The most important thing is to win against CHI in week 17. This will (in my opinion) give us the de-facto home-field advantage.

The beautiful thing about this run, is I honestly don't have that familiar fear in the back of my stomach, if this team has to face any of the NFC teams @US BANK.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next