Two hours to Change History for Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Five hours to Change History for Vikings

Post by Laserman »

I've been waiting since 1972 for this. Some guys here loner than that. Time for the Vikings to join the Red sox and the cubs and break this cycle. :govikes:
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Laserman wrote:I've been waiting since 1972 for this. Some guys here loner than that. Time for the Vikings to join the Red sox and the cubs and break this cycle. :govikes:
I've been waiting since 1961. Luckily, I'm a somewhat patient person but I'm getting OLD!
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:Yeah the guys that lived through the 70’s
and beyond ... wow

Yeah... the nerves and hopes are kicking in for this old Vikes fan. As I walk around Chicago wearing my Vikings jacket, I'm constantly getting congratulations from people about the season the Vikings are having and people are telling me they hope Minnesota wins it all this year (say what you will about the Bears, Chicago has a great NFL fan base. There's very little of the nastiness you hear associated with some NFL cities here). It's great but it also makes me nervous because it dredges up the memories of past Super Bowl disappointments. Yesterday, a Patriots fan told me he hopes our teams meet in the big game and I thought, "Wow, can my nerves handle the Vikes getting back to the Super Bowl and playing a team that's basically a Super Bowl machine?".

Anyway, I love the theme of this thread, Ken! It's great. Hour 5 yielded a win. Let's hope hours 4 to 1 do too. It sure would be nice to add a Super Bowl victory to Vikings history.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Appreciate the respect. I'm one of those guys.

Last night, I was re-watching Minnesota play Cleveland -- in the 1969 NFL Championship Game. God, I love YouTube. Metropolitan Stadium (we don't need no stinking Mall of America). Super-cold day, partially frozen field, snow pushed aside for the game. A youngish looking Bud Grant patrolling the Vikings' sideline (no heaters allowed, of course). Giant shoulder pads. Big ol' thigh and hip and knee pads. Bill Brown and Dave Osborn in the backfield. Two backs, two receivers, and one tight end ... every play. Nobody ever going in motion. Joe Kapp wearing that funny-looking Number 11, with the "1" and the "1" too far apart. Everybody in a 3-point stance ... even the wide receivers.
I love that part. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: The only thing that worries me are injuries and Case Keenum.

I don't know why. I keep waiting for Case to stumble if only because he's NEVER been this good. And he's never been put in the pressure type of situations he's going to be in the playoffs.

Defense can't have a off day. Can't beat ourselves (penalties, dropped passes, dropped INTs). Case has to be 2017 Case.

The main thing that worries me is the quality of the rest of the field in the NFC. The Rams, Saints, Panthers and Falcons are all good, dangerous teams and the Eagles are obviously formidable, even with Wentz out. It brings me back to '98 when the 15-1 Vikings looked like a team of destiny but it was awfully hard to ignore that the NFC also had a 14-2 team that year. There are seasons where no team finishes with a record that good and there were the Falcons, also having an extraordinary year.

Anyway, this year's Vikings have shown they can play with anybody. Let's just hope they'll be at their best when it counts most.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

jackal wrote:One hour Green Bay DONE!

One hour Chicago

One hour Divisional Round

One Hour NFC championship

One hour SuperBowl in Minnesota

Let’s hope this it... forty years of
missing the mark, one solution
Last edited by Raptorman on Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Last night, I was re-watching Minnesota play Cleveland -- in the 1969 NFL Championship Game. God, I love YouTube. Metropolitan Stadium (we don't need no stinking Mall of America). Super-cold day, partially frozen field, snow pushed aside for the game. A youngish looking Bud Grant patrolling the Vikings' sideline (no heaters allowed, of course). Giant shoulder pads. Big ol' thigh and hip and knee pads. Bill Brown and Dave Osborn in the backfield. Two backs, two receivers, and one tight end ... every play. Nobody ever going in motion. Joe Kapp wearing that funny-looking Number 11, with the "1" and the "1" too far apart. Everybody in a 3-point stance ... even the wide receivers. Paul Krause holding for Fred Cox. The Vikings fight song being played live, by an actual marching band. Ray Scott on the call for CBS. What a voice, and an incredible ability to build tension -- that guy could make your palms sweat just by saying, "First and 10 Vikings at the Cleveland 48." Vikings burst out to a 17-0 first-quarter lead and coast to an easy 27-7 victory. Ah, the memories.

And then ... one week later they get their nutsacks cut off and handed to them by Kansas City in the Super Bowl. That was my first taste of what it meant to be a Vikings fan. There have been 8 other similar disappointments -- 3 more losses in the Super Bowls and 5 NFC Championship games. Plus the Hail Mary game. Plus the Cardinals game. Plus ...

... you get the picture.

I like it. Five hours to change everything.
Oh your bring back to many memories. Damn you, damn you to hell! :D
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Can we update the title of this thread from "Five" to "Four" :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Domination wrote:Can we update the title of this thread from "Five" to "Four" :)

Sure, if it's okay with Ken. He started the thread so I think he deserves to make the call. We could update it after each win if he's cool with the idea.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Mothman wrote:
Example.....when they let Wilson make that crazy scramble scramble completion against us in an otherwise strong showing by the defense. This years team has a little different "feel" though. Maybe more comfortable and confident.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:
The main thing that worries me is the quality of the rest of the field in the NFC. The Rams, Saints, Panthers and Falcons are all good, dangerous teams and the Eagles are obviously formidable, even with Wentz out. It brings me back to '98 when the 15-1 Vikings looked like a team of destiny but it was awfully hard to ignore that the NFC also had a 14-2 team that year. There are seasons where no team finishes with a record that good and there were the Falcons, also having an extraordinary year.

Anyway, this year's Vikings have shown they can play with anybody. Let's just hope they'll be at their best when it counts most.
That's really the key, isn't it?

I mean, I think we've seen this year, other than Week 2 against Pittsburgh, that the worst the Vikings are likely to be in any game is close in the 4th quarter. That means they have to perform in the fourth quarter in the playoffs.

What bodes well for us is our lack of explosiveness. What the heck does that mean? Simple. The Vikings offense goes on a LOT of long drives. They don't score a ton of 70-yard touchdowns, or have 3-play drives for touchdowns that take 42 seconds. But they have had a lot of very long drives. And long drives keep the defense off the field, which makes them fresh in the fourth quarter. When we played the Rams, we wore them down. That's the kind of game we're going to have to win in the playoffs -- close for much of the game, then imposing our will on the opponent late.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am trying to triple shot the purple koolaid

Man it’s sweet though..

Bears next ... I like John Fox but it sounds
like he might be out with the Bears...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote:
Yeah... the nerves and hopes are kicking in for this old Vikes fan. As I walk around Chicago wearing my Vikings jacket, I'm constantly getting congratulations from people about the season the Vikings are having and people are telling me they hope Minnesota wins it all this year (say what you will about the Bears, Chicago has a great NFL fan base. There's very little of the nastiness you hear associated with some NFL cities here). It's great but it also makes me nervous because it dredges up the memories of past Super Bowl disappointments. Yesterday, a Patriots fan told me he hopes our teams meet in the big game and I thought, "Wow, can my nerves handle the Vikes getting back to the Super Bowl and playing a team that's basically a Super Bowl machine?".

Anyway, I love the theme of this thread, Ken! It's great. Hour 5 yielded a win. Let's hope hours 4 to 1 do too. It sure would be nice to add a Super Bowl victory to Vikings history.
This year's Viking team is easy to root for. A bunch of over-achievers and guys who, at least on paper, probably shouldn't be doing what they're doing or be in the position they are in. The Vikings of 2017 are the Cleveland Indians of the movie Major League.

And should they be fortunate enough to make it to the Superbowl, either of the teams they would likely face would both be multi-pedigreed Superbowl veterans with sky-high expectations. The storyline of that matchup would be epic - truly David versus Goliath in more ways than one.

And other than the fanbases of either of those teams, everyone else in the country would find it impossible to root against the Vikings, for exactly that reason. A bunch of nobodies and never-were's against the golden boys of the sport. The nobodies playing at home in front of a fan base that I am convinced will simply will the team to victory if presented with that chance. Who wants to root for Big Ben or Tom Brady yet again? Or Bill Belichek? Or see Robert Kraft hoist another Lombardi Trophy? Nobody. Absolutely nobody outside of the fans of those teams really wants to see that. But pretty much everybody would smile watching someone like Case Keenum hoist it. Or undrafted Adam Thielen. Or 4th round draft pick Everson Griffen. Or perpetual NFL assistant coach Mike Zimmer who finally got his chance as a head coach in his 50's and made good on it. Just a bunch of overlooked guys who pulled together and won the whole [bleeping] thing... (if you haven't watched Major League, I highly recommend it)

I think the title of this thread should be Five (now Four) hours to *MAKE* history.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Last night, I was re-watching Minnesota play Cleveland -- in the 1969 NFL Championship Game. God, I love YouTube. Metropolitan Stadium (we don't need no stinking Mall of America). Super-cold day, partially frozen field, snow pushed aside for the game. A youngish looking Bud Grant patrolling the Vikings' sideline (no heaters allowed, of course). Giant shoulder pads. Big ol' thigh and hip and knee pads. Bill Brown and Dave Osborn in the backfield. Two backs, two receivers, and one tight end ... every play. Nobody ever going in motion. Joe Kapp wearing that funny-looking Number 11, with the "1" and the "1" too far apart. Everybody in a 3-point stance ... even the wide receivers. Paul Krause holding for Fred Cox. The Vikings fight song being played live, by an actual marching band. Ray Scott on the call for CBS. What a voice, and an incredible ability to build tension -- that guy could make your palms sweat just by saying, "First and 10 Vikings at the Cleveland 48." Vikings burst out to a 17-0 first-quarter lead and coast to an easy 27-7 victory. Ah, the memories.

And then ... one week later they get their nutsacks cut off and handed to them by Kansas City in the Super Bowl. That was my first taste of what it meant to be a Vikings fan. There have been 8 other similar disappointments -- 3 more losses in the Super Bowls and 5 NFC Championship games. Plus the Hail Mary game. Plus the Cardinals game. Plus ...

... you get the picture.

I like it. Five hours to change everything.
Great post. I'm going to have to look that game up! I bought a book called last kings of the old nfl about the 69 Vikings I've been meaning to read.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

J Kapp11 yeah my first horrible loss was the 98
game. I was watching the team putting on the
championship shirts and hats celebrating while
the Falcons were gaining momentum. Then the
miss .... ahhh yuuucckkkk

Jim, or whoever yeah we can keep changing
it with each win...

Post script ...