View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Week 16 Reaction Thread 
Commissioner

Post Week 16 Reaction Thread
Easton, McDermott injured. Sirles was terrible (Isadora?).

Offense was not good. Case was bad. Shurmer had a poor game as well.

Defensive grade: B+
Offensive grade: D+

Game ball to Smith

We'll need to play a heck of a lot better than that to make it to the Super Bowl.

Have at it.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:30 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Week 16 Reaction Thread
I'd also consider Diggs for a game ball. Beating his man on the PI play and great footwork on the TD.

Game was kinda what I expected. A grind. Glad they came out with a W. Hopefully McDermott is ok

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:40 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:

Game ball to Smith

We'll need to play a heck of a lot better than that to make it to the Super Bowl.

Have at it.

Agree with everything except giving the defense a B+. GB moved the ball a lot for having no named players, other then Cobb, for most of the game. If it was against a good offense, like the Pats, then yes, I would give them a B+ as well. But we had all of our starters playing and could have easily lost.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:41 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

If Carolina loses this week or next week, we are guaranteed a bye. We can also guarantee a bye by beating Chicago next week.

Did Rieff come back in?

Last edited by 720pete on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:43 pm
Commissioner

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Game ball to Smith

Have at it.

Agree with everything except giving the defense a B+. GB moved the ball a lot for having no named players, other then Cobb, for most of the game. If it was against a good offense, like the Pats, then yes, I would give them a B+ as well. But we had all of our starters playing and could have easily lost.

True, but it's darn hard to shut out a team. Especially on the road. Feels weird and kind of unfair to give a "C" or lower to a unit that goose-egged their opponent.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:47 pm
Hall of Famer

Wow. You guys are harsh.

About 24 hours ago, many of you were posting things like, "We just need to get out of Lambeau with a W. I don't care how."

Now because we didn't do it with style points, we suck.

The Vikings were favored by 9 at Lambeau. They won by 16. They pitched a shutout, first in 24 years. They're 12-3. And you guys are complaining.

Take the win and move on.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:07 am
Fenrir

We shut out the pack in Lambeau! David Morgan for game ball. Go Bucs! Merry Christmas!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 am
Starting Wide Receiver

I would give the defense a C+. Green Bay moved the ball too well, and yes they didn't score, but I would argue they shot themselves more than the Vikings stopped them. On a couple of drives.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:15 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

Refocused: Minnesota Vikings 16, Green Bay Packers

Quote:
S HARRISON SMITH, 99.9 OVERALL GRADE
After getting snubbed in the Pro Bowl vote, our highest-graded safety showed why he should have took home that honor. He was utterly dominant and he took over the game from the start. Smith recorded eight tackles, five of which were stops. He also allowed only three catches on five targets for 21 yards and picked off two passes, paving the way to a 99.9 overall grade for the game. Smith showed he is one of the few safeties who can be a force as a free or a strong safety.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:58 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Case leads SKOL chant at Lambeau

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/944790028626153472

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:15 am
Hall of Famer

Hitman should have had gameball, but I like that Zimmer gave it to Morgan. He was pretty clutch. Turnovers can be a nightmare in that type of game.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:32 am
Career Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Wow. You guys are harsh.

About 24 hours ago, many of you were posting things like, "We just need to get out of Lambeau with a W. I don't care how."

Now because we didn't do it with style points, we suck.

The Vikings were favored by 9 at Lambeau. They won by 16. They pitched a shutout, first in 24 years. They're 12-3. And you guys are complaining.

Take the win and move on.

I'm with you, Kapp. I expected a game much like the playoff game two years ago against the Seahawks. That was a Walsh brain fart away from being a pretty solid 12-10 home victory. It's tough to play in the cold! This one never felt in doubt, just the final score. The only thing that made me nervous was going to be losing the shutout late again.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:15 am
Hall of Famer

I expected a hard fought game and the Vikings got a hard fought game. The offense was a bit off, but the Packer defense gave it everything they had and really came after Case. As it was, the Vikings also benefited from some sloppy play on offense by the Packers with a lot of dropped passes. Had the Packers executed better, it might have been a different outcome.

Now on to the Bears at home, which should be a much better game for the Vikings. Tough to win outside at Lambeau this time of year no matter who steps on the field, so getting a W here and setting themselves up for a first round bye is a fantastic result no matter how it looked.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:28 am
Fenrir

My Christmas gift to everyone

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/7lt92t/postgame_thread_min_gb_week_16/

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:44 am
Strong Safety

My favorite quote

OneWizardsPlease• 5h
Confirmed. Aaron Rodgers has been keeping everyone employed
the last 6 years. I can’t decide if our receivers or Hundley is the
problem in our offense. And as always make sure to Fire Capers.

Lmao

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:26 am
Defensive Tackle

dead_poet wrote:

Game ball to Smith

Unless they failed to score I'm pretty sure shutting out opponents in the playoffs would get them to the Super Bowl. ;)

Seriously, I see your point and they'd probably be hard-pressed to beat some of the best teams in the NFC with that kind of offensive performance unless it was accompanied by a dominant performance from the defense.

It sure looked like the cold weather was impacting the timing in the passing game but maybe they were just having an off night. I agree that the overall offensive performance was underwhelming, although I'd give them a more generous grade than you did because they ran the ball well. It would have been nice to see them finish a couple more drives with TDs rather than FGs.

I'd give the defense an A because I think shutting out any NFL team requires an "A" performance.

My main takeaway is the Vikings took care of business, on the road, in harsh conditions, and put themselves one win away from a guaranteed bye in the first round of the playoffs and hosting the divisional round at home.

The play of the night for me was Keenum scrambling to avoid the Packers rush, looking as if he was going to run, and then fading back to hit David Morgan, who made a nice run after catch to pick up a first down. That was just fun football!

Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:45 am
Commissioner

Yes...

https://twitter.com/Rindels_Jake3/statu ... 7145856001

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:00 am
Defensive Tackle

:lol: That IS satisfying.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:05 am
Transition Player

Rewatching highlights this morning, Case had pressure on him nearly every pass and he took some hard hits. And oddly enough Hundley’s protection was great with their patchwork line. Hopefully this was an oddity and not indicative of our future line play.

Bummer to see Easton out for the season. He was also our backup center, so I guess those honors go to Berger now?

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:21 am
Transition Player

Mothman wrote:
I'd give the defense an A because I think shutting out any NFL team requires an "A" performance.

My main takeaway is the Vikings took care of business, on the road, in harsh conditions, and put themselves one win away from a guaranteed bye in the first round of the playoffs and hosting the divisional round at home.

The play of the night for me was Keenum scrambling to avoid the Packers rush, looking as if he was going to run, and then fading back to hit David Morgan, who made a nice run after catch to pick up a first down. That was just fun football!

Agree on giving the defense an A (at least an A-) and your play of the game! Quintessential ‘17 Case Keenum.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:25 am
Practice Squad

Obviously came in with a pretty conservative plan of attack figuring that GB needed to prove they could score. Once they lost Nelson there was really nothing left other than Hundley running around.

Think the cold and bad field conditions threw off some of the timing. Just missed on a few long passes that would have opened things up significantly. With a team on the other side that couldn't do a thing though, running Murray into the pile was not the worst option.

Case needs to be a bit more careful though, he throws 2 or 3 interceptable balls a game and lucky for us they didn't catch any. Special teams were close to giving up some big plays as well.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:27 am
All Pro Elite Player

I heard from someone that was there, the wind was also a problem.

Sirles had a bad game, after Easton went down not much happening on the left side of the line.
Hopefully we can get that sured up some.

Harry and Morgan both had a heck of a game.

One play I saw Livnal just hold his arms straight out to show the refs he was being held by the pads and still no flag.

One more game against the bears then on to the playoffs.

I wasn't in love with Shurmur play calling this game.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:34 am
Starter

I also blame schurmer he didn't adapt to the conditions very well cold and poor field needed more short quick passes the receiver would have the advantage should have been a good game for rudolph .

I give the d an A- also they got it done the pack was short handed but were home and a divisional game they pitched a shutout so .

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:03 pm
Fenrir

I think the plan for the front four D was to stop the run and contain Hundley first (which is actually what they're tasked to do in Zimmers system) so you didn't see as strong a pass rush. I think the defense knew the Packers couldn't throw on them and worked to take away the run.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:13 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Purple Domination wrote:
Rewatching highlights this morning, Case had pressure on him nearly every pass and he took some hard hits. And oddly enough Hundley’s protection was great with their patchwork line. Hopefully this was an oddity and not indicative of our future line play.

Bummer to see Easton out for the season. He was also our backup center, so I guess those honors go to Berger now?

I believe the Vikings DL purposely stayed in front and in their lanes to contain Hundley. But I agree, Keenum was under a lot of pressure throughout the day.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:13 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:

Case is a wizard at feeling pressure and extending plays. That TD pass to Diggs was pretty spectacular too. Such a small window to get Diggs the ball.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 pm
Fenrir

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:55 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

It's not unexpected, and actually, it's sort of flattering when you think about it.

When a team is truly having a good season, and winning regularly, and dominating in "most" games, not "every" game, but most.

Suddenly, that dominant team has a minor hiccup, win or lose, and in this case, "still win," but the team does not look dominant, the fans/some fans let the "doubt" seep in. That dominant team is questioned and "dissected" as to how they are once again, beatable.

For me, I still pull for the Vikes "one game at a time," and I appreciate each victory. After all, they still have that "1st" Super Bowl to win, and until they do, I simply pull for my team, but I do not "brag or bash" them, and I certainly do not kick GB when they have a bad season, despite the fact that they are my most hated team of all-time, in all sports. Besides, they've won 4.

As for the M-Vikes, I simply cheer one game at a time.

Go Vikes...wisdom!

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:46 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

People are unreal. game was negative wind chill and they pitched a shutout. I saw a stat flash up on fb, all time , winning teams in games played below zero or zero wind chill , winning teams are only averaging like 15 points or some ####. Cant remember the exact number. Anytime a game is played in these kinds of temps, don't expect much. And it doesn't happen very often.

The one negative I saw in this was shurmurs mind boggling hardheadedness running the ball up the middle when it clearly wasn't working. one time he puts jet in, pitches it to the outside, he gets 15 yards and right back to between the tackles. Makes no sense.

And case was off. I know it was freezing but he overthrew a ton of deep balls. Two to treadwell, overthrew diggs twice, overthrew thielen on an easy TD.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:44 pm
Career Elite Player

I'm going to react to all of week 16, and be the first to announce this. We are the #1 defense with respect to points against now. Going into the week, the Jaguars were 33 points ahead of us. But we blanked the Pack, and the Jags have give up 37 (thirty frigging seven!) to the 49ers so far. So we have a 4 point lead now.

It would be cool to end up as the #1 ppg defense in the league again.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next