Week 16 Vikings @ Packers Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Week 16 Vikings @ Packers Discussion

Post by dead_poet »

Confirmed Adams out as well as Rodgers. So their top two weapons. Rhodes on Nelson.

If we can't win now...
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I’m not worried about the next two games
much if we show up...

I am worried about going on the road in the
playoffs... we had the number one seed and
screwed it up.

Most likely we will face the Steelers or Patriots
in the big game. I think the Patriots would be
a better match for us.

Bottom line is our best is good enough
to beat anyone, if we play that way.

Will we play that way? When it counts ??
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

There is no guarranttee that Philadelphia gets out of the divisional round.

Consider:

The Rams have the softest remaining schedule and are currently at 10-4, they likely finish 12-4. The Saints are also 10-4, plus play the Falcons at home this weekend. That is must win for both of them. Saints finish against the lowly Bucs. So they are either going ot be 11-5 or 12-4. The Panthers are also 10-4 but finish the season at Atlanta. (Also must win.) The Falcons are 9-5, but could deliver losses to both the Saints and Panthers as they play both to finish out.

You've also got Seattle and Dallas from the outside looking in.

If Saints win this weekend, they will likely own the NFC S crown since they beat Carolina twice. Not sure if they'll beat ATL or not, but it probably doesn't matter. However, unless LAR lose, they are also 12-4 and own the tie breaker over NO since they beat them head to head.

So grouping is something like this:

#3 Rams
#4 Saints
#5 Panthers
#6 Falcons/Dallas/Seahawks

IMO, the Rams likely win their game in the wild card matchup. They completely dismantled Seattle last weekend, they beat Dallas previously as well. Falcons they haven't played, but you have to like their chances.

Saints vs. Panthers is interesting. The Saints owned Carolina this year, last beating them at the Superdome in November, but can they beat them a 3rd time? That can be a tall order in the NFL.

So IMO, the likely scenario is that either the Saints or Panthers go to Philadelphia to face an Eagles team without it's starting QB. I think especially if the Saints go this game is far from a gimme for the Eagles. Panthers maybe, but their defense should be able to handle Nick Foles.

For the Vikings the Rams get to come back to the House of Pain where they experienced their most lopsided loss of the year. Have to like the Purple in that one.

I think there are decent odds that the Viking never leave Minnesota during the playoffs. Perhaps a little revenge on the Saints for 2009 thrown in?

it is also possible that PHI loses it's next 2 and then we get the top seed, albeit probably not likely. OAK, if it decides to show up, can score points. Foles isn't Wentz, can they keep up? DAL comes in the following weekend needing to win for a chance at the last wild card spot. They will be hungry, Elliot is back, and their defense is playing better. Again, can Foles get it done?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm not really nervous or worried about the Vikings against any team...I guess if I had to choose I would say Philadelphia and New Orleans. Philly because they have a great defense and if they have the #1 seed, it will be a very tough place to play. Saints because they don't have to waste any carries with AP this time around and what they've got going on with Kamara and Ingram is hard to defend. Their defense has also picked up some steam since they last played.

Honestly, I would be most scared of Seattle, but I doubt they get in.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mansquatch wrote:There is no guarranttee that Philadelphia gets out of the divisional round.

So grouping is something like this:

#3 Rams
#4 Saints
#5 Panthers
#6 Falcons/Dallas/Seahawks

IMO, the Rams likely win their game in the wild card matchup. They completely dismantled Seattle last weekend, they beat Dallas previously as well. Falcons they haven't played, but you have to like their chances.
A couple of things. Detroit isn't out of it. If they win their last 2 and Falcons lose both, they would be the 6th seed. Tampa can really play the spoiler here. All they have to do is beat the Panthers and the Saints. From what I see, and I could be wrong, is if Carolina and Detroit both win out the least they can be is 5th and 6th seeds. Atlanta has to win one game to knock out the Lions. A lot will be determined this weekend.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Best comment I've heard all week:

"Green Bay is Buffalo. Cold, isolated, and unattractive to free agents. [Green Bay] is only talked about because of Aaron Rodgers."
Colin Cowherd

Nothing could be more true. Cowherd pointed out that the Pukers let their two best O-linemen go over the offseason. They didn't try to re-sign Jared Cook, even though Rodgers begged them to. They let two of their best defensive players, Micah Hyde and Casey Heyward, walk ... both are going to the Pro Bowl. Before the Panthers game, Aaron Rodgers said he wasn't coming back to be the savior. Sorry, Aaron, but you've got that wrong. You've had to be the savior for the past 7 years.

Cowherd is right. Without Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay is a smaller version of Buffalo. It does my heart good to see them flop.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mr. Research at your service.

Checking Keenum's career gamelogs against Weather Underground's data on the dates played, Keenum has appeared in only two NFL games where the temperature was 40 degrees or colder.

12-27-15 at Seattle. Temperature 40. Rams beat Seattle, 23-17. Keenum was 14-of-23 for 103 and 1 TD, no picks. Passer rating of 86.0.
12-15-16 at Seattle. Temperature 35. Rams lost to Seattle, 24-3. Keenum played in mop-up duty, going 5-of-9 for 32 yards. Passer rating of 63.2.

That being said, he's a competitive sucker. I think he's going to love the cold.
Pretty sure Brett Hundley has never played a game in temps below 32 degrees. Wait, sorry, he played the Browns in 29 degrees.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

VIKINGS
Out: Tramaine Brock
Questionable: Andrew Sendejo, Mackenzie Alexander, Riley Rieff

PACKERS
Out: Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams, Demetri Goodson
Doubtful: Nick Perry
Questionable: Jahri Evans, Davon House, Damarious Randall, Clay Matthews
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Border battle that is becoming less and less meaningful each season. Some how Green Bay lucked into having 2 Hall of Fame QBs back to back. They wasted Aaron Rodgers arm talent. I see the Packers' high crest rolling back. A long dominant run that has finally ran its coarse.

Anyway, playing Green Bay in December is always fun. Hope the Vikings fan there can do the Skoal chant over the "Go Pack Go" theme music.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Cold weather, night game, on grass, against division rival. I really don't care how they win, I just hope they leave GB with a W, and without injuries.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

808vikingsfan wrote:Cold weather, night game, on grass, against division rival. I really don't care how they win, I just hope they leave GB with a W, and without injuries.
My thoughts as well.