Playoff scenarios

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Playoff scenarios

Post by vikeinmontana »

just win baby
i'm ready for a beer.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

vikeinmontana wrote:just win baby
This.

Just win and the worst they do is 2nd, the best is 1st.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Philly D has looked less strong the past two weeks. Game vs. OAK could be closer than one might normally expect. Unfortunately, OAK is a train wreck this season so it is entirely possible that they just decide to not show up. The Raiders are not exactly the team in the NFL most likely to play hard just for the sake of Pride.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Wouldn't we want the Saints to Win so they can win the south division and keep Carolina the 5 seed?
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

Somewhat related... when are gamedays decided for the playoffs?
Some games are on saturday and some on sunday...

It's a pain for someone who wants to go but want to use as few vacation days as possible :|
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Husker Vike wrote:Wouldn't we want the Saints to Win so they can win the south division and keep Carolina the 5 seed?
I think the thought process is to have a 3-way tie. In that scenario, the Vikings have the tiebreaker. Carolina alone is the only tiebreaker the Vikings do not have. (I think)
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: I think the thought process is to have a 3-way tie. In that scenario, the Vikings have the tiebreaker. Carolina alone is the only tiebreaker the Vikings do not have. (I think)
What is the tie breaker in a three way tie?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, here's an absolute stunner. Watch who Colin Cowherd puts as the best team in the NFL.

(Hint: They wear purple, and they're not the Ravens.)

Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:OK, here's an absolute stunner. Watch who Colin Cowherd puts as the best team in the NFL.

(Hint: They wear purple, and they're not the Ravens.)
I think Cowherd says things just for shock value. Just a couple of weeks ago, he was saying the Vikings are just a good regular season team. Lots of good 'B' players but no 'A' players that can make the big plays during the playoffs.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

This could be big.
Myles Simmons‏@MylesASimmons
Follow Follow @MylesASimmons
More Myles Simmons Retweeted Los Angeles Rams

Zuerlein was on pace for a historic season with L.A. He’s now out with a back injury for the rest of the season. The Rams have signed kicker Sam Ficken.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:This could be big.
If we can stay healthy we can compete with anyone.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?

In the Falcons game, Julio Jones was as good as inactive, but the difference is he wasn't. Our team made him inactive, on the field. That's way more impressive, and fun, than him not playing because of a sore hip.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

TheCoolerOne wrote:I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.
We already did play against Rodgers (and won). It's not our fault he made a less-than-wise decision against this defense and decided to scramble outside the pocket while not throwing the ball away right away. Had he thrown the ball away when he first got outside the pocket, he probably wouldn't have been injured. I don't look at the fact that we knocked Rodgers out of the game (cleanly I might add) early in that game as somehow equating to the Vikings "only facing the backup." I look at it that the Packer's brought their best and limped away as a shell of their previous team when they got "cocky" on their offense.

So I'm neither bummed or happy. I don't think it makes any difference who the Pack play as quarterback in terms of the final outcome of this game.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

TheCoolerOne wrote:Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.
I see what you're saying, but I don't really care at this point in the season. We know the Vikings are a great team already and we know they're making the playoffs. I don't need them to be AR to prove it and I also don't mind that this game should be marginally easier, thus less taxing on a team we know will be playing into January. If Rodgers being out makes a first round bye that much more of a likelihood, then yes...the chips fell where they did and I'll take it. Two quick wins to end the season another bye to rest and then a huge game on your home turf in a month from now to further supplant the idea that Minnesota is a real threat.

I don't ever celebrate players' injuries though. I have more of an "is what it is" attitude. It happens, but I won't cheer for it or be glad that it happens because they still have to play my team and such...
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

TheCoolerOne wrote: If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?
Some times it comes to this: a good team stops a good team and sets up a critical FG. It is part of the game.

And it sees like I know of a local team that has had it's share of disappointments viz a viz critical FG's.

So yeah, given that the kicking game is not our strength this year, I am fine with anything that levels that playing field. After all, like AT in GB, it is just how the chips fall and is part of what we have to deal with moving forward.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."