View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Playoff scenarios 
Backup

Post Re: Playoff scenarios
Thomas Davis just got suspended the final 2 games...which does not help Carolina at all.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:22 pm
Commissioner

dead_poet wrote:
Tossing this nugget here: Packers re-signed QB Joe Callahan. Might be a sign that if Atlanta wins they shut Rodgers down.

Now McCarthy said Rodgers took too many hits and is "sore." Signing Callahan might have been more than a guy if Rodgers is shut down due to being eliminated. Sounds like there's a chance he doesn't play due to injury.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Tossing this nugget here: Packers re-signed QB Joe Callahan. Might be a sign that if Atlanta wins they shut Rodgers down.

Now McCarthy said Rodgers took too many hits and is "sore." Signing Callahan might have been more than a guy if Rodgers is shut down due to being eliminated. Sounds like there's a chance he doesn't play due to injury.

I think we win even with Erin, but they are too much like the Patriots. They are so lucky. And they would love to try and take the chance of a bye from us.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:10 pm
Hall of Famer

We're just a short time from the Pukers being eliminated. Atlanta just went up 10 over Tampa in the 4th.

It will be great to own those losers in Lameblow.

UPDATE: Falcons win. Good bye, Green Bay. :rofl:

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I'm confident in this Vikings squad but I feel much better knowing there is a 100% chance the Packers will not be winning the super bowl in our stadium.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 am
Starting Wide Receiver

In Pat Summerall's voice: There will be no Packers in the playoffs!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:52 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

The first great success of playoff season. No Packers! :govikes:

Now if the hated Seahawks could be kind enough to continue their swoon for one more game, they will also be out.

BRING. IT. ON!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:25 am
Fenrir

TSonn wrote:
I'm confident in this Vikings squad but I feel much better knowing there is a 100% chance the Packers will not be winning the super bowl in our stadium.

+100

That was literally the worst case scenario, nice to know it's now a 0% chance.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm
Veteran

I really don't mind the Lions, but I don't really want to face them in the playoffs. I don't think that there is a team that we can't beat in playoffs if we play to our capabilities.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:24 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

If the Vikings win and Carolina loses, will the Vikings clinch a first round bye?

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:
If the Vikings win and Carolina loses, will the Vikings clinch a first round bye?

Yes. We'd be no worse than 12-4 to their 11-5.

We own tiebreakers against both New Orleans and Los Angeles. One more win from us takes them out of the running for a first-round bye, no matter what they do.

But it's ours no matter what if we win out, and that's what we need to do. We don't want Carolina to sneak in at 12-4 and steal that bye.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 pm
Career Elite Player

I really hate that loss to the Panthers. Even if Minnesota wins, they still can't clinch a bye unless Carolina loses. Even though Minnesota's schedule lines up nicely, I wish this was already handled.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:59 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I think the Panthers will lose in Atlanta week 17. No matter what that will be an important game and I trust Matt Ryan in that game more than Cam Newton. So we'll end up the 2 seed with just one win vs GB or CHI.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 pm
Career Elite Player

It's hard to trust the Falcons. Hope you're right though. They can beat them simply on account of it being a divisional game, but Atlanta should have blown out TB last night, but that just didn't happen. They're not quite the same team as last season and Carolina has been a hot team at the right time. I actually hope they get the 3 seed and Minnesota the 2. If Carolina wins the Wild Card round then they'd play Philly...I prefer that.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 pm
Commissioner

Rooting Guide: Week 16

Quote:
That means that, combined, the Vikings want to cheer in the following ways:

The Oakland Raiders to win against the Philadelphia Eagles
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers to win against the Carolina Panthers
The Atlanta Falcons to win against the New Orleans Saints
The Tennessee Titans to win against the Los Angeles Rams

More at the link:

https://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/a ... r-week-16/

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:43 pm
Career Elite Player

just win baby

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

vikeinmontana wrote:
just win baby

This.

Just win and the worst they do is 2nd, the best is 1st.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Philly D has looked less strong the past two weeks. Game vs. OAK could be closer than one might normally expect. Unfortunately, OAK is a train wreck this season so it is entirely possible that they just decide to not show up. The Raiders are not exactly the team in the NFL most likely to play hard just for the sake of Pride.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:43 pm
Veteran

Wouldn't we want the Saints to Win so they can win the south division and keep Carolina the 5 seed?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:13 pm
Starter

Somewhat related... when are gamedays decided for the playoffs?
Some games are on saturday and some on sunday...

It's a pain for someone who wants to go but want to use as few vacation days as possible :|

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:35 pm
Fenrir

Husker Vike wrote:
Wouldn't we want the Saints to Win so they can win the south division and keep Carolina the 5 seed?

I think the thought process is to have a 3-way tie. In that scenario, the Vikings have the tiebreaker. Carolina alone is the only tiebreaker the Vikings do not have. (I think)

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:
Husker Vike wrote:

I think the thought process is to have a 3-way tie. In that scenario, the Vikings have the tiebreaker. Carolina alone is the only tiebreaker the Vikings do not have. (I think)
What is the tie breaker in a three way tie?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

OK, here's an absolute stunner. Watch who Colin Cowherd puts as the best team in the NFL.

(Hint: They wear purple, and they're not the Ravens.)

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
OK, here's an absolute stunner. Watch who Colin Cowherd puts as the best team in the NFL.

(Hint: They wear purple, and they're not the Ravens.)

I think Cowherd says things just for shock value. Just a couple of weeks ago, he was saying the Vikings are just a good regular season team. Lots of good 'B' players but no 'A' players that can make the big plays during the playoffs.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:51 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

This could be big.

Quote:
Myles Simmons‏@MylesASimmons
Follow Follow @MylesASimmons
More Myles Simmons Retweeted Los Angeles Rams

Zuerlein was on pace for a historic season with L.A. He’s now out with a back injury for the rest of the season. The Rams have signed kicker Sam Ficken.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:55 pm
Commissioner

808vikingsfan wrote:
This could be big.

Quote:
Myles Simmons‏@MylesASimmons
Follow Follow @MylesASimmons
More Myles Simmons Retweeted Los Angeles Rams

Zuerlein was on pace for a historic season with L.A. He’s now out with a back injury for the rest of the season. The Rams have signed kicker Sam Ficken.

If we can stay healthy we can compete with anyone.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:05 am
Transition Player

Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?

In the Falcons game, Julio Jones was as good as inactive, but the difference is he wasn't. Our team made him inactive, on the field. That's way more impressive, and fun, than him not playing because of a sore hip.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 am
Hall of Famer

TheCoolerOne wrote:
I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

We already did play against Rodgers (and won). It's not our fault he made a less-than-wise decision against this defense and decided to scramble outside the pocket while not throwing the ball away right away. Had he thrown the ball away when he first got outside the pocket, he probably wouldn't have been injured. I don't look at the fact that we knocked Rodgers out of the game (cleanly I might add) early in that game as somehow equating to the Vikings "only facing the backup." I look at it that the Packer's brought their best and limped away as a shell of their previous team when they got "cocky" on their offense.

So I'm neither bummed or happy. I don't think it makes any difference who the Pack play as quarterback in terms of the final outcome of this game.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am
Career Elite Player

TheCoolerOne wrote:
Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

I see what you're saying, but I don't really care at this point in the season. We know the Vikings are a great team already and we know they're making the playoffs. I don't need them to be AR to prove it and I also don't mind that this game should be marginally easier, thus less taxing on a team we know will be playing into January. If Rodgers being out makes a first round bye that much more of a likelihood, then yes...the chips fell where they did and I'll take it. Two quick wins to end the season another bye to rest and then a huge game on your home turf in a month from now to further supplant the idea that Minnesota is a real threat.

I don't ever celebrate players' injuries though. I have more of an "is what it is" attitude. It happens, but I won't cheer for it or be glad that it happens because they still have to play my team and such...

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 am
All Pro Elite Player

TheCoolerOne wrote:
If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?

Some times it comes to this: a good team stops a good team and sets up a critical FG. It is part of the game.

And it sees like I know of a local team that has had it's share of disappointments viz a viz critical FG's.

So yeah, given that the kicking game is not our strength this year, I am fine with anything that levels that playing field. After all, like AT in GB, it is just how the chips fall and is part of what we have to deal with moving forward.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next